Are there universal wrongs?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Biscuit
At first this may seem like a stupid question because it seems obvious that things like rape/ child abuse are wrong.full stop.

But I have read about some tribes in other countries who have certain rituals which involve these sort of things.
For example in one of them, the adolescent boys, in order to achieve the status of a man, has to swallow the sperm of an older tribe member...

and in another, the females are kept alone in a room for the duration of puberty...

Is this child abuse? Is it wrong to the extent that we would be justified in forcing them to stop doing these things? Or are these things only wrong in our society?

Personally I am inclined to believe that we would not be justified if we tried to make them stop, because the way they live their lives is nothing to do with us. The only time it would become a problem is if they came here and attempted to behave the same way.

However, things like this did used to happen in our society and the only reason they don't now is because people who saw that it was wrong intervened and put a stop to it.

So would we be doing a good thing by trying to stop this kind of abusive behaviour, or would we just be interfering??? confused

your thoughts, if you please smile

debbiejo
Cultures are all different. Are we to change the "why" of what they do just because we don't accept them.........Well if it was my choice I would, but yet I am not in a certain tribe and not know the "whole why" of it.............Again, should we outsides meddle ????/ Hard question.

Shakyamunison
No.

Evil Dead
there is no universal wrong. For something to be universal, it must apply to all known life in the universe. It would be arrogant to even suggest what would be right or wrong throughout the rest of the universe.........but the idea doesn't even stand up to the life on our own planet. There are animals on our own planet who rape.......as it is necissary to continue their species. I can't recall which species....but do remember it's a mid-sized mammal, saw a documentary on it on the discovery channel.......the mating ritual is rape, the female fights the male until it is overcome and dragged to a place to be forcebly penetrated against the female's will. Child abuse is also out......as many, many, many species of animal will kill adolescent offspring of the same species that is not their own simply to eliminate competition. Same goes for murder or any other act you can imagine.

there is no universal wrong.

Quiero Mota
^ What he said,

Great Vengeance
You cannot argue logically that something is wrong, as 'evil' is a subjective concept. Reason has its limits though, which is why I still follow my own moral code even though I cannot justify it through reason.

Madman_V3N0M
Yes, there is one: MEsmile)

Atlantis001
No, right and wrong are subjective things.

Kryzula
I think we should follow the rules set forth in our own society, unless we wish ostracism, but I do not think we should expect people in other societies to abide by the same rules as us. We have no right to force our views on them...

~ Kryzula.

PVS
this thread is bardock bait laughing out loud

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
this thread is bardock bait laughing out loud

I decided not to participate in it, since most people actually portrayed a similar opinion to me anyways and well, this will just get Ush to participate and then we argue and well, I don't feel like it. It's also kinda duplicate.

PVS
Originally posted by Bardock42
I decided not to participate in it, since most people actually portrayed a similar opinion to me anyways and well, this will just get Ush to participate and then we argue and well, I don't feel like it. It's also kinda duplicate.

*banned*

debbiejo
Originally posted by Atlantis001
No, right and wrong are subjective things. Yes, only names we give according to our experiences.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.