KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Are there universal wrongs?

Are there universal wrongs?
Started by: Biscuit

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Biscuit
yummy!

At first this may seem like a stupid question because it seems obvious that things like rape/ child abuse are wrong.full stop.

But I have read about some tribes in other countries who have certain rituals which involve these sort of things.
For example in one of them, the adolescent boys, in order to achieve the status of a man, has to swallow the sperm of an older tribe member...

and in another, the females are kept alone in a room for the duration of puberty...

Is this child abuse? Is it wrong to the extent that we would be justified in forcing them to stop doing these things? Or are these things only wrong in our society?

Personally I am inclined to believe that we would not be justified if we tried to make them stop, because the way they live their lives is nothing to do with us. The only time it would become a problem is if they came here and attempted to behave the same way.

However, things like this did used to happen in our society and the only reason they don't now is because people who saw that it was wrong intervened and put a stop to it.

So would we be doing a good thing by trying to stop this kind of abusive behaviour, or would we just be interfering??? confused

your thoughts, if you please smile

Old Post Sep 9th, 2006 05:08 PM
Biscuit is currently offline Click here to Send Biscuit a Private Message Find more posts by Biscuit Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Cultures are all different. Are we to change the "why" of what they do just because we don't accept them.........Well if it was my choice I would, but yet I am not in a certain tribe and not know the "whole why" of it.............Again, should we outsides meddle ????/ Hard question.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 06:37 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

No.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 06:44 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil Dead
Enemy of the Gospel

there is no universal wrong. For something to be universal, it must apply to all known life in the universe. It would be arrogant to even suggest what would be right or wrong throughout the rest of the universe.........but the idea doesn't even stand up to the life on our own planet. There are animals on our own planet who rape.......as it is necissary to continue their species. I can't recall which species....but do remember it's a mid-sized mammal, saw a documentary on it on the discovery channel.......the mating ritual is rape, the female fights the male until it is overcome and dragged to a place to be forcebly penetrated against the female's will. Child abuse is also out......as many, many, many species of animal will kill adolescent offspring of the same species that is not their own simply to eliminate competition. Same goes for murder or any other act you can imagine.

there is no universal wrong.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2006 11:17 PM
Evil Dead is currently offline Click here to Send Evil Dead a Private Message Find more posts by Evil Dead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quiero Mota

^ What he said,

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 01:11 AM
Quiero Mota is currently offline Click here to Send Quiero Mota a Private Message Find more posts by Quiero Mota Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Great Vengeance

You cannot argue logically that something is wrong, as 'evil' is a subjective concept. Reason has its limits though, which is why I still follow my own moral code even though I cannot justify it through reason.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 04:31 AM
Great Vengeance is currently offline Click here to Send Great Vengeance a Private Message Find more posts by Great Vengeance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Madman_V3N0M
Dreaming of a red X-mass

Yes, there is one: MEsmile)

Fool Bush!

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 02:55 PM
Madman_V3N0M is currently offline Click here to Send Madman_V3N0M a Private Message Find more posts by Madman_V3N0M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Atlantis001
The one without a name

No, right and wrong are subjective things.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2006 03:44 PM
Atlantis001 is currently offline Click here to Send Atlantis001 a Private Message Find more posts by Atlantis001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kryzula
Nihilistic Schizoid

I think we should follow the rules set forth in our own society, unless we wish ostracism, but I do not think we should expect people in other societies to abide by the same rules as us. We have no right to force our views on them...

~ Kryzula.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2006 04:47 PM
Kryzula is currently offline Click here to Send Kryzula a Private Message Find more posts by Kryzula Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

this thread is bardock bait laughing out loud

Old Post Sep 12th, 2006 05:14 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by PVS
this thread is bardock bait laughing out loud

I decided not to participate in it, since most people actually portrayed a similar opinion to me anyways and well, this will just get Ush to participate and then we argue and well, I don't feel like it. It's also kinda duplicate.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2006 05:20 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bardock42
I decided not to participate in it, since most people actually portrayed a similar opinion to me anyways and well, this will just get Ush to participate and then we argue and well, I don't feel like it. It's also kinda duplicate.

*banned*

Old Post Sep 12th, 2006 05:25 PM
PVS is currently offline Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Originally posted by Atlantis001
No, right and wrong are subjective things.
Yes, only names we give according to our experiences.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2006 08:17 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote