Internet Prosthelytism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Adam_PoE
. . . is stupid, and The Bible agrees:

JesusIsAlive

Alliance
Wow. Even Mark is contradictory.

I vote for the 7:6 passage.

Shakyamunison

Alliance
There is a differnece between debunking anothers argument, and preaching.

Imperial_Samura

Alliance
No, Mark was probably a religious zealot...like a terrorist.

FeceMan
All of you cause me considerable pain.

On the plus side, those agreeing with the first posted passage are acknowledging themselves as lesser beings, the equivalent of animals.

Or, we could say that we're all humans, equals, and that the act of preaching the good news is not the equivalent of giving pigs jewelry.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Alliance
No, Mark was probably a religious zealot...like a terrorist.

Yes, running around with a belt filled with jars of Greek Fire, just waiting for the chance...

Alliance
laughing Greek Fire.

Yum.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by FeceMan

On the plus side, those agreeing with the first posted passage are acknowledging themselves as lesser beings, the equivalent of animals.

Or, we could say that we're all humans, equals, and that the act of preaching the good news is not the equivalent of giving pigs jewelry.

Please forgive those who cause you pain. I do all the time.

Alliance
Pain builds character.

Shakyamunison
Pain builds character.

Then I must have great character with you always just behind me. stick out tongue laughing

Alliance
No. I'm not a pain to you.

Shakyamunison
No. I'm not a pain to you.

No, you are not, but I will still tease you every chance I get. wink

Alliance
ok.

Lumanix

Regret
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
. . . is stupid, and The Bible agrees:

My take on Mark 7:6 is that it is referring to going in depth and into points of doctrine that are irrelevant to increasing the Christlike nature of the individual, if the individual is not willing to hear/understand it. So, if doctrine does not increase a person's ability to become a better person, it will be wasted on such an individual if he/she is unwilling to hear or understand it. It does not refer to discussing religion in general with another, it only cautions against discussing the finer points of doctrine with someone that would not benefit from these finer points.

FeceMan
Thank God this thread has been so productive. I should quit wasting energy and just spam "lol christians" in every ****ing thread.

FeceMan

*Sighs.*

Shakyamunison
*Sighs.*

Quoting yourself is what JIA does all the time. You don't want to be called a sock of JIA, do you?

FeceMan
I give up. I'm heading to the D&D boards to see if anything interesting has occurred.

lord xyz
. . . is stupid, and The Bible agrees: That's only mentioning animals.

lil bitchiness
ZOMG dere ar pplz in me komp tryna covrt meh!

lulz!!!

Internet is a tool of communication. It is as legitimate as other means of preaching.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
ZOMG dere ar pplz in me komp tryna covrt meh!

lulz!!!

Internet is a tool of communication. It is as legitimate as other means of preaching.

Good, lil b, here's a cookie.

For all other people I suppose we realize that it is not only a question whether one should preach on the internet.

lil bitchiness
lulz. ur kul.

Robtard
This is 99.9% off topic, but there was this lady who was handing out "The Watchtower" (Jehovah Witness) pamphlets instead of candy during this last Halloween.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
lulz. ur kul. Thanks, that means the world to me.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
Thanks, that means the world to me.

I thought my dick in your mouth meant the world to you... you lying bastard.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Robtard
I thought my dick in your mouth meant the world to you... you lying bastard. Yeah, well, I was lying only once when I said those two things. You figure out which time.

lord xyz
Good, lil b, here's a cookie.

For all other people I suppose we realize that it is not only a question whether one should preach on the internet. Do we deserve the freedom to preach?

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
Do we deserve the freedom to preach? Yeah

inimalist
Originally posted by lord xyz
Do we deserve the freedom to preach?

who do you think could ever possibly be qualified to tell society what things people could or could not try to convince each other of?

DigiMark007

Bardock42
Originally posted by DigiMark007
It makes sense though. Cause...that's what Christians believe in and the point is about what the bible says, so who better than the bible?

You make it seem like it is stupid or pointless to find ridiculous bible quotes and make points about them, well, it's not.

DigiMark007
It makes sense though. Cause...that's what Christians believe in and the point is about what the bible says, so who better than the bible?

You make it seem like it is stupid or pointless to find ridiculous bible quotes and make points about them, well, it's not.

Not pointless, especially for a believer.

But this in particular highlights the contradictory nature of many quotes. My point is that with something as long and vague as the Bible, you can find quotes to justify any position, and often contradictory positions. Non-believers love posting the contradictions and reveling in them, while believers love countering that it requires proper interpretation (usually their denomination's interpretation). I just try to point out the phenomenon so that people will see the futility of it.

Bardock42
Not pointless, especially for a believer.

But this in particular highlights the contradictory nature of many quotes. My point is that with something as long and vague as the Bible, you can find quotes to justify any position, and often contradictory positions. Non-believers love posting the contradictions and reveling in them, while believers love countering that it requires proper interpretation (usually their denomination's interpretation). I just try to point out the phenomenon so that people will see the futility of it.

I am sure most people that have visited the Religion forum more than once have noticed such a trend, still, for both sides it is not necessarily futile.

Symmetric Chaos

DigiMark007
I am sure most people that have visited the Religion forum more than once have noticed such a trend, still, for both sides it is not necessarily futile.

Apparently not, since it continues.

Anyway, internet prosthelytism. Hmm...my spellcheck is telling me I spelled "pros..." wrong. But I'd love to see conversion rates to different denominations via internet dialogue. Maybe it's the new door-to-door evangelism. But more likely it's not terribly successful. Come to think of it, neither is door-to-door (though I'd welcome in Mormons any day...it would be fun chatting with them).

It's really just a reminder to me that 99% of any denomination's adherents come from family lineage, passed down from parents to children. 99% is arbitrary of course, just meant to represent a large majority. I don't have exact figures. No wonder Christians generally abhor birth control. I'd love to see them level the playing field and have to recruit their followers from other faiths (or non-faiths). It would certainly be more of a challenge, and evangelism would doubtless take on a more urgent tone.

Adam_PoE
It's really just a reminder to me that 99% of any denomination's adherents come from family lineage, passed down from parents to children. 99% is arbitrary of course, just meant to represent a large majority. I don't have exact figures. No wonder Christians generally abhor birth control. I'd love to see them level the playing field and have to recruit their followers from other faiths (or non-faiths). It would certainly be more of a challenge, and evangelism would doubtless take on a more urgent tone.

In the United States, 75% of Christians teens leave the faith after high school.

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Robtard
This is 99.9% off topic, but there was this lady who was handing out "The Watchtower" (Jehovah Witness) pamphlets instead of candy during this last Halloween.

crylaugh

I did that on Halloween to.

It's priceless seeing the littlekids facial expressions smile

DigiMark007
In the United States, 75% of Christians teens leave the faith after high school.

That wasn't my point though. I said the majority of religions get their adherents from children of the parents who are that denomination. This may be true, but it does nothing to negate my point, as it deals with an entirely different subject.

It remains true that religious converts are far outnumbered by inherited family tradition, at least among the advanced nations of the world. It would be nice to think every person evaluates various religions and beliefs once they are old enough to understand them, then they decide which one they feel is correct. But no, we have Bible study sessions for elementary school children while regular mass is given for teh adults, and indoctrination as soon as a child is old enough to understand the words and ideas.

And I'd like to see the numbers of teens who come back to a particular faith later in life, or even believe in their faith and just don't go to church on Sundays. Many teens are apathetic toward religion, but remain tacit believers (they'd fill out Christian on a census) or come back later in life (when they have kids or in old age, for example). Just throwing out that number is only concerned with one aspect of their lives.

Nellinator
Many teens are apathetic toward religion, but remain tacit believers (they'd fill out Christian on a census) or come back later in life (when they have kids or in old age, for example). This is very true. I see many nominal Christians return to church when they have children and call themselves Christian all their lives. I've seen it a lot with Catholics in my experience.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.