New Draft?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kinneary
The new head of the Ways and Means Committee, Rangel, wants to reinstitute a draft. Thoughts on the likelihood? The need?

Mr. Sandman
Pelosi has already stated that he won't be getting support from even his own party. It isn't going through.

Robtard
Yea, this is just one guy basically on his own; this chance of it going through is just about zero. As far as his reasoning that it will make the people who ultimately decide to wage wars think harder before they proceed because they in turn will be at risk or their own children will be at risk in making the ultimate sacrifice is severely flawed. 'Those people' always have loopholes for themselves and their offspring to avoid being drafted.

Fishy
It won't happen.

KidRock
lol "war mongering republicans"..yet we have the democrats pushing mandatory military service and a draft.

Like I said..the democrats are gonna **** America.

Soleran
Yeah thats a great idea and make sure the upper limit stops at 30 because after that folks just aren't fit for military service I say!

Robtard
Originally posted by KidRock
lol "war mongering republicans"..yet we have the democrats pushing mandatory military service and a draft.

Like I said..the democrats are gonna **** America.

Did you miss the fact that it's ONE Democrat and the U.S.D.P. isn't behind it?

dirkdirden

Evil Dead
I would support a draft bill.

any member of any nation it chooses to live in should be obligated to serve that nation's military if needed. Here in the United States we take too many freedoms for granted. Our freedoms are only assured by our military strength. Anybody who lives in this country but would not readily join it's military during it's hour of need to protect it's rights, freedoms, civilians and their very own families should be forced to relocate to another nation of their choosing.

I don't agree with our current government. I don't even agree with our political system........but I would grab an M-16 and jump in a helicopter in a second to protect this piece of land and way of life I call home to ensure my way of life and my family's way of life.

Imperial_Samura
I must admit I am at the point where I wonder whether more troops in Iraq (since that seems to be a major motivational point) would really do all that much at this point.

And -

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," Rangel said."

Where did that come from? I wasn't aware anybody was doing any challanging in that area at the moment.

Kinneary
Originally posted by Evil Dead

any member of any nation it chooses to live in should be obligated to serve that nation's military if needed. Here in the United States we take too many freedoms for granted. Our freedoms are only assured by our military strength. Anybody who lives in this country but would not readily join it's military during it's hour of need to protect it's rights, freedoms, civilians and their very own families should be forced to relocate to another nation of their choosing.

I don't agree with our current government. I don't even agree with our political system........but I would grab an M-16 and jump in a helicopter in a second to protect this piece of land and way of life I call home to ensure my way of life and my family's way of life.
Freedom's like... not having to spend years in government service?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Kinneary
The new head of the Ways and Means Committee, Rangel, wants to reinstitute a draft. Thoughts on the likelihood? The need?
suddenly i am not so sensitive about being 36. no draft for me!!!

BackFire
The draft would only be acceptable if it were in the case of a very serious threat to this country, like WWII, or something.

A draft for something needless as the current Iraq war should never ever happen.

Evil Dead
Freedom does not mean free in this country. Freedom is tradeoff.

- you are free to vote in this country, so long as our military is strong enough to defend our country.

- you are free to practice whatever religion you want, so long as our military is strong enough to defend this country.

- you are free to raise your family as you see fit, so long as our military is strong enough to defend this country.

- you are free to never have to serve in the military unless you wish to, so long as our military is strong enough to defend this country. When it's not, draft.

my opinion of people in the U.S. couldn't get much lower. We have brave men and women who will enlist in the military to fight injustice in a foreign land. They will give thier lives to help foreigners, fight for a principle. Then we have these idiots who want everything to be given to them. why earn anything in life? they think they should be born rich. they think everything should be handed to them, including the freedoms to live life as they see fit. These idiots wouldn't defend our country if there were a Soviet tank (ala Red Dawn) rolling down their street headed for their families house. They think it's somebody elses job to defend this country and freedoms for them. people like that should die. I have nothing but disdain for people of that ilk.

Jim Reaper
laughing out loud This rep. is a master of reverse psychology. That is the most inane deterrent to the draft that I have ever heard.

Fishy
Freedom does not mean free in this country. Freedom is tradeoff.

- you are free to vote in this country, so long as our military is strong enough to defend our country.

- you are free to practice whatever religion you want, so long as our military is strong enough to defend this country.

- you are free to raise your family as you see fit, so long as our military is strong enough to defend this country.

- you are free to never have to serve in the military unless you wish to, so long as our military is strong enough to defend this country. When it's not, draft.

my opinion of people in the U.S. couldn't get much lower. We have brave men and women who will enlist in the military to fight injustice in a foreign land. They will give thier lives to help foreigners, fight for a principle. Then we have these idiots who want everything to be given to them. why earn anything in life? they think they should be born rich. they think everything should be handed to them, including the freedoms to live life as they see fit. These idiots wouldn't defend our country if there were a Soviet tank (ala Red Dawn) rolling down their street headed for their families house. They think it's somebody elses job to defend this country and freedoms for them. people like that should die. I have nothing but disdain for people of that ilk.

You're funny...

The US is never going to be to weak to defend itself, because of nuclear weapons and all so it should never have a draft again. Ever.

Evil Dead
nuclear weapons.........and I'm funny???WTF??

a nation goes to war with you......so instead of fighting the enemy in military combat, you completely destroy the nation? you kill all of it's innocent civilians?

that's the exact opposite purpose of any military.......to defend innocent civilians, domestic and foreign. War is fought between governments......not between guys with nuclear weapons and innocent families of 4 sitting at home in their kitchen eating dinner.

Kinneary
That's the point. Open war between major powers is pretty much dead. MAD has made sure of it.

Evil Dead
true. nukes will never be used by anybody.........unless in a world war with several nations baring responsibility over the use against a smaller coalition of nations. M.A.D. mutual assured destruction. the only way around it is attrition........the side baring responsibility being comprised of many more nations so the victims could not retaliate against all before destruction.

Strangelove
I'm against a reinstitution of the draft, I agree with Chuck Rangel's reasons for it though.

And if it does happen, I have student deferment and I can claim contientious objector status srug

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Fishy
You're funny...

The US is never going to be to weak to defend itself, because of nuclear weapons and all so it should never have a draft again. Ever.
that and strategically located carriers and bases all over the world.

Fishy
nuclear weapons.........and I'm funny???WTF??

a nation goes to war with you......so instead of fighting the enemy in military combat, you completely destroy the nation? you kill all of it's innocent civilians?

that's the exact opposite purpose of any military.......to defend innocent civilians, domestic and foreign. War is fought between governments......not between guys with nuclear weapons and innocent families of 4 sitting at home in their kitchen eating dinner.

Seeing as everybody is to afraid of that outcome they won't attack the US with a real army... No country that has the ability to threaten the survival of the US through war will fight the war. It's suicide, so the draft will never have to happen again.

Rogue Jedi
if i am not mistaken, isnt china our ally?

Fishy
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
if i am not mistaken, isnt china our ally?

Only as long as they can't destroy the US without being destroyed themselves...

Country's and alliances always surprise me, throughout all of history superpowers have never lived next to each other for a long time... Conflicts always rise up, but in the new situation of the world with weapons that can destroy the entire world those conflicts will be limited to other country's where they fight for support, to fights for resources outside of their own territory and diplomatic struggles.

A full out war like the second world war will likely never happen again.

Rogue Jedi
agreed. it'll be nuclear and it'll be ugly.

Adam_PoE

Marxman

If I had the ability to fight in a just war (oxymoron?) I would definitely pick up a gun and go. However, when I'm lied to about why we are going to war, I feel the need to run up in the White House with an AK and do some damage there. If they reinstate the draft I wouldn't be going because I'm chronically asthmatic, recently had major surgery and will be getting more major surgery in the near future, and a college student. But if I was eligible for the draft I was definitely draft dodge because I feel this war isn't right and I'm not going to risk my life simply to increase the capital of America.

I would have went into Afganistan because we were actually defending ourselves with the War on Terror and that's where our attackers were. But Iraq? Bush, the former oil tycoon, wanted oil cheaper and in larger quantities, had a personal vendetta against Sadam, and wanted to force Capitalist Democracy on yet another country,.

Marxman
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
While the armed forces are frantic to attract people, especially with mounting speculation that George W. Bush this week will call for an additional 20,000 troops to be sent to Iraq, the Pentagon says it remains opposed to repealing a ban on gays serving openly in the military, even though a study concludes that doing so could attract as many as 41,000 new recruits. Now that's fking ridiculous. Why gay men can't serve in the army is beyond me. Women serve in the army. How is this any different? Worried about them having promiscuous gay sex during basic training? BIG FKING DEAL! That can't really do damage, it'd really only help. I mean, I know if I was in the military I would like to get my dick wet once in a while.

Fishy
Originally posted by Marxman
Now that's fking ridiculous. Why gay men can't serve in the army is beyond me. Women serve in the army. How is this any different? Worried about them having promiscuous gay sex during basic training? BIG FKING DEAL! That can't really do damage, it'd really only help. I mean, I know if I was in the military I would like to get my dick wet once in a while.

You need gay people to use showers... You could use it on your own, actually I'm sure most people in your surrounding area would be very happy if you did.

Fire
The US doesn't need a massive army to protect its own boarders. Canada and Mexico aren't able to launch a major offensive. Anyone else wanting to invade the country will have a hard time doing it without the US knowing you're coming.

MAD made sure the US won't be attacked by a superpower any time soon. But research (by all parties) for Anti-Ballistic-Missile-Systems such as SDI could make MAD useless.

The only reason I can think of, why the US would need a massive army (and why it has army bases all over the globe) is to ensure its foreign interests.

BobbyD
Personally, I'd be all for a draft...for various reasons. Sadly, when you have idiots in office like we presently do, they'd be sent to fight in unjust wars.

grey fox
Ahhh the Humble draft. Something which I can cleanly ignore due to be British.

Nonetheless , Evil Dead I'm sorry to say this but you sound like a walking propaganda machine. Military might does not equate into freedom or the ability to pick which religion you wish.

Look at the various dictatorships , they (usually) have exceedingly high numbers of troops whom are armed with reasonably good tech (Fire-arms ect) . Yet they aren't free. Far from it in-fact.

soin2cal
meeelaughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.