Superbands

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nellinator
Who do you consider the greatest superband of all time?

I personally think Cream is.

§P0oONY
Guns N' Roses, not 100% if they're classed as one though.

Nellinator
I don't think they are... I've never heard that before.

§P0oONY
Well, they were a sort of merge of LA Guns and Hollywood Rose.

ElectricBugaloo
Originally posted by Nellinator
Cream

lorddreamer
Just wondering, whats so great about Superbands? I mean, I dont listen to as much rock as I think I should, but from what Ive heard, between a supergroup and a regular plain old fashioned good group, they can be equal.
My question is: Do superbands really tend to be reflective of their superosity?

Nellinator

Nellinator
Originally posted by lorddreamer
Just wondering, whats so great about Superbands? I mean, I dont listen to as much rock as I think I should, but from what Ive heard, between a supergroup and a regular plain old fashioned good group, they can be equal.
My question is: Do superbands really tend to be reflective of their superosity?
Not really, but sometimes. Cream was exceptionally good. I sorta made this thread because I've started to listen to a lot more of their stuff and its awesome.

I really like Journey as well and they probably the most successful superband.

I think Audioslave is the best act in rock music right now and they are a superband, but my liking them is probably more a reflection of my liking older rock better because Audioslave is not as good as either Soundgarden or Rage Against the Machine.

Velvet Revolver is another current superband and I think they are one of the better acts around right now.

To add to this discussion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergroup_%28music%29

§P0oONY
I'll take your word for it. However, I think to be a superband you need to be the combination of already well accomplished musicians. I don't know, but were either of those bands famous before their malgamation?

Yeah, you're probably right... LA Guns were sort of accomplised... I don't think you would really class Guns N' Roses are one.

Nellinator
I do like Guns N' Roses though smile

Victor Von Doom
Fantomas.

Dusty
Pink Floyd or The Doors.

Nellinator
I was thinking that the Travelling Wilbury's have the greatest collection of band members, but I like Cream the best.

Funkadelic
The best band 2 me:

http://www.hifi.nl/gfx/Band_290404.jpg
Yeah, Prince, Maceo parker (played with parliament, James brown..), John blackwell (amazing drummer), Candy Dulfer (She's Dutch, and really nice lol), Renato Neto, Rhonda smith (Nice Jazzy Bassplay).

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Dusty
Pink Floyd or The Doors.
Pink Floyd and The Doors are supergroups? confused

Dusty

Solo
Swan Lake

Nellinator
Originally posted by Dusty
I misunderstood the question.
No problems. I will never have problems with a Johnny Cash fan.

~Da Rev~
A Perfect Circle
Fantomas
Deltron 3030

Deathblow
Tomahawk. They're a pretty underrated band as it is. Prefer them even to FNM.

lorddreamer
Not really, but sometimes. Cream was exceptionally good. I sorta made this thread because I've started to listen to a lot more of their stuff and its awesome.

I really like Journey as well and they probably the most successful superband.

I think Audioslave is the best act in rock music right now and they are a superband, but my liking them is probably more a reflection of my liking older rock better because Audioslave is not as good as either Soundgarden or Rage Against the Machine.

Velvet Revolver is another current superband and I think they are one of the better acts around right now.

To add to this discussion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supergroup_%28music%29

I'm sorry, that meant nothing to me... I dont know which of those are superbands and which arent...

vanice
how about Crossby Stills Nash and Young?

Nellinator
I was think that Temple of the Dog looks like it should have been the ultimate grunge band, but they weren't. A lot of supergroups are major disappointments.

ILUVQueensryche
Great call on Cream. I'd actually forgotten about them.

Another few jump to my mind immediately: Asia (King Crimson/E.L.P./Yes), Powerstation (David Bowie's group/Duran Duran/Robert Palmer), Damn Yankees (Ted Nugent/Styx/Night Ranger) and Bad English (John Waite/Journey)

Thoughts on these...

ILUVQueensryche
To me...a superband is one band made up of members of other bands that have disbanded, "taken a break" or otherwise left their current lineup to pursue other interests - whatever the reason.

Journey, although a wonderful and "super" band, wouldn't really fall into the category of a "superband" since the only person notably coming from another band would be Neil Schon and he was with Carlos Santana for a short time. Remember, Journey had another lead singer prior to Steve Perry. Perry was picked up along the way and really made Journey who they are today.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but a "super" band is much different than a "superband".

Nellinator
Originally posted by ILUVQueensryche
Great call on Cream. I'd actually forgotten about them.

Another few jump to my mind immediately: Asia (King Crimson/E.L.P./Yes), Powerstation (David Bowie's group/Duran Duran/Robert Palmer), Damn Yankees (Ted Nugent/Styx/Night Ranger) and Bad English (John Waite/Journey)

Thoughts on these...
I really don't know a lot of stuff by any of them, but Asia is a band I've been looking into lately as I think that they have the making for a great band.
Originally posted by ILUVQueensryche
To me...a superband is one band made up of members of other bands that have disbanded, "taken a break" or otherwise left their current lineup to pursue other interests - whatever the reason.

Journey, although a wonderful and "super" band, wouldn't really fall into the category of a "superband" since the only person notably coming from another band would be Neil Schon and he was with Carlos Santana for a short time. Remember, Journey had another lead singer prior to Steve Perry. Perry was picked up along the way and really made Journey who they are today.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but a "super" band is much different than a "superband".
I think that Journey was founded as a "superband" and then added Steve Perry making them both a "super" band and remaining a "superband". Two of them were from Santana, one from the Steve Miller Band, and one from The Tubes (who replaced by Dunbar who had played with Bowie, Zappa, and Beck).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.