Best Piano Player

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nellinator
Who do you think is the best ever?

And if someone says Elton John or Tori Amos I will punch myself in the face pretending it was you because as much as I love both of them they are both C class pianists.

Alpha Centauri
Tori Amos a C class pianist?

You're an A class something, and it rhymes with "pianist".

-AC

Nellinator
She really is compared to anyone of these guys. I really like her and prefer her to any of them, but she is not anyway near technically as good. She couldn't play at half the speed, nor does she have the handspan, nor does she have the perfection of any of them.

Nellinator
Oh, and I meant to say to post your favorite too. My favorite is Tori Amos for whatever genre I consider her (haven't quite decided and I hate calling people Alternative) and my favorite rock keyboardist is Jon Lord of Deep Purple.

Kram3r
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Tori Amos a C class pianist?

You're an A class something, and it rhymes with "pianist".

-AC

Right on!

Nellinator, you do realized Tori's played the piano with the piano strings. If you think that's C-Class I suggest you reconsider your judgment. My favorite (I won't even suggest he's the best) is Ben Folds. Great songwriter and he has such great prowess towards the piano. He really knows how to work a show as well.

Alpha Centauri
Tori Amos, regardless of who she isn't technically better than, is technically brilliant.

As for hand span, she can play two grand pianos at the same time, one hand each.

-AC

Kram3r
Tori Amos, regardless of who she isn't technically better than, is technically brilliant.

As for hand span, she can play two grand pianos at the same time, one hand each.

-AC

Exactly, well said.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Kram3r
Right on!

Nellinator, you do realized Tori's played the piano with the piano strings. If you think that's C-Class I suggest you reconsider your judgment. My favorite (I won't even suggest he's the best) is Ben Folds. Great songwriter and he has such great prowess towards the piano. He really knows how to work a show as well. She pushes B-class at times, however I maintain that she is C-class. Amos, despite AC's claims is less technically talented than a whole lot of people. C-class is not bad, in fact it is really good, but there are hundreds of people better than her. If anyone argues that she is even top ten they obviously haven't seen or heard the people I mentioned.

I love Ben Folds, its good stuff.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm still trying to work out what "A-class something" rhymes with 'pianist'...

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm still trying to work out what "A-class something" rhymes with 'pianist'...

Probably "idiot".

vintageSW77
Les Dawson no question

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Nellinator
Amos, despite AC's claims is less technically talented than a whole lot of people.

Read my post.

It doesn't matter how many people she ISN'T better than, what matters is how many people she IS better than, and technically...she's an excellent pianist. She's technically excellent.

I didn't say there wasn't any people better, I simply said you're not giving her enough credit.

-AC

vanice
How about Bill Evans, Keith Jarret, or Chick Corea, Or Herbie Hancock, OR McCoy Tyner.

How come none of these are on the list? Out of these Oscar Peterson, definitely..

Nellinator
Read my post.

It doesn't matter how many people she ISN'T better than, what matters is how many people she IS better than, and technically...she's an excellent pianist. She's technically excellent.

I didn't say there wasn't any people better, I simply said you're not giving her enough credit.

-AC
She is technically good, not excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLpMDUJAfM
This 89 year old man is technically WAY more technically adept. Watch at the 1:03 minute and 3:30 minute marks so you don't have to watch the whole thing. This is considered technically very good, not excellent as he is too old to play with the excellence he once had. Tori Amos is not anywhere near this Rubinstein's league.
I ran out of options, I was just trying to give some of my ideas. I'd say Bill Evans is the best out of the ones you mentioned. I personally hold Art Tatum to be the greatest jazz pianist to ever live and one of the two best ever with Rubinstein.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzj6Q61h3oA
Around the 34 second mark he is just amazing and the end is even better.

Alpha Centauri
Why do you keep retorting with "But she isn't better than...", or "This man is way technically better."?

That's not the point I'm making. I'm not saying she's the best, I'm saying she's technically brilliant, not that she's the best or that there are none better.

-AC

Nellinator
She is not technically brilliant if she can't play at the speed and difficulty that several hundred people can play at. Therefore, she is technically good, but not brilliant. Tori Amos is interesting emotionally and lyrically and a very good songwriter, but she is not an amazing piano player that shocks me with skill, especially when I can play everything she has ever done, but don't even bother trying the arrangements the people I mentioned would do. This is like saying that Billie Joe is technically brilliant at guitar when that is simply not true when technical brilliance is defined by people like Malmsteen.

Alpha Centauri
She is not technically brilliant if she can't play at the speed and difficulty that several hundred people can play at. Therefore, she is technically good, but not brilliant. Tori Amos is interesting emotionally and lyrically and a very good songwriter, but she is not an amazing piano player that shocks me with skill, especially when I can play everything she has ever done, but don't even bother trying the arrangements the people I mentioned would do. This is like saying that Billie Joe is technically brilliant at guitar when that is simply not true when technical brilliance is defined by people like Malmsteen.

What kind of retard logic is that? That's like saying someone who runs the 100mtrs sprint in 10 seconds isn't really fast just because people can run it in 9.

It doesn't matter if she shocks you with skill or not, she's a technically brilliant player, this doesn't change just because there are people more technically adept than her.

-AC

-hh-
out of that list, i would say Sergei Rachmaninoff.

off topic, but best violinist in my opinion is Paganini.

Kram3r
What kind of retard logic is that?
-AC

Hahahaha, I must say, AC = FTW.

Alpha Centauri
Well come on.

"She is not technically brilliant if she can't play at the speed and difficulty that several hundred people can play at. ".

Never mind the fact that she can play better than way more than several hundred people, there's probably millions of people she is better than, millions. Yet, somehow, she isn't technically brilliant because there are better people.

It just doesn't make sense.

"I saw a Porsche yesterday, it was blisteringly fast.", "No it wasn't.", "Why?", "Cos rockets are faster.".

-AC

-hh-

"I saw a Porsche yesterday, it was blisteringly fast.", "No it wasn't.", "Why?", "Cos rockets are faster.".

leave the Porsche alone you jerk! stick out tongue

Kid Kurdy
(A lot of boring and off topic talk here).

Anyways, I noticed that Liszt, Chopin and Rubinstein are on the vote list. Didn't they all die like, at least a hundred years ago ?

Is there recorded piano music from these composers / pianists ? And if so, is the quality good enough to determine who was the best ?

Of course they were exceptional pianists, but how can we compare them ? And compare them with other, more modern pianists ?

Another thing : you can not compare classical music with jazz. That's comparing apples and oranges.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
(A lot of boring and off topic talk here).

Anyways, I noticed that Liszt, Chopin and Rubinstein are on the vote list. Didn't they all die like, at least a hundred years ago ?

Is there recorded piano music from these composers / pianists ? And if so, is the quality good enough to determine who was the best ?

Of course they were exceptional pianists, but how can we compare them ? And compare them with other, more modern pianists ?

Another thing : you can not compare classical music with jazz. That's comparing apples and oranges.
Liszt, Chopin, Horowitz, Tatum, Rubinstein, Rachminoff and others are all dead. Rubinstein (died 1983 I think), Tatum and Horowitz are easy to find on YouTube though. When you look at their compositions though it can be seen how technically skilled they were. There are recordings played exactly as they were composed which can indicate how good they were, but I think the complexity and beauty of the composition also indicates their skill. Liszt is probably the most virtuoso composer of all time while Chopin is considered by many to be the best composer for the piano. That does equal the best though as I think Rubinstein and Horowitz are probably technically better. Who is the best is rather subjective I think, I personally feel that Rubinstein had the best balance of the three. Who is the best cannot be ultimately defined, but let it suffice to say that Tori Amos is leagues below any of these people.
Comparing jazz and classical is difficult, but I think it was Horotwitz who said that Art Tatum is the greatest to have ever lived. It's hard to compare which is why there is room for subjectivity.

AC:
Define techinical brilliancy on the piano because if Tori Amos possesses it you need to define it.

Alpha Centauri
Liszt, Chopin, Horowitz, Tatum, Rubinstein, Rachminoff and others are all dead. Rubinstein (died 1983 I think), Tatum and Horowitz are easy to find on YouTube though. When you look at their compositions though it can be seen how technically skilled they were. There are recordings played exactly as they were composed which can indicate how good they were, but I think the complexity and beauty of the composition also indicates their skill. Liszt is probably the most virtuoso composer of all time while Chopin is considered by many to be the best composer for the piano. That does equal the best though as I think Rubinstein and Horowitz are probably technically better. Who is the best is rather subjective I think, I personally feel that Rubinstein had the best balance of the three. Who is the best cannot be ultimately defined, but let it suffice to say that Tori Amos is leagues below any of these people.
Comparing jazz and classical is difficult, but I think it was Horotwitz who said that Art Tatum is the greatest to have ever lived. It's hard to compare which is why there is room for subjectivity.

AC:
Define techinical brilliancy on the piano because if Tori Amos possesses it you need to define it.

For crying out loud, I'm not saying she's the best or anywhere near the best, this is why it doesn't need to be defined, what needs to be cleared up is your stupid logic. You think I'm saying she's the best because I'm calling her what YOU call certain pianists, this isn't the case.

You label certain pianists as technically brilliant and then, because she isn't AS good, you say she's not technically brilliant. What is the deal there? There are levels of brilliance.

Thierry Henry is a brilliant football player, he's not as good as Pele, also brilliant, but he's still brilliant.

This is YOUR problem, I have no problems differentiating between who is and who ISN'T better than Amos, you just seem to be stuck on the idea of "If I attach one term to a group, and she isn't exactly as good, it cannot apply.". All those pianists aren't all as good as each other, so why aren't you saying the same to them? One of them is better than all the rest, so does that mean the rest aren't brilliant, just because he is?

-AC

Nellinator
I have fully realized since the beginning that you do not think she is the best, however, by saying that she is technically brilliant you are wrong. Technically brilliance as defined in piano playing is not something she has.

Your analogy is not a good one for the situation as Thierry Henry is one of the best players of all time while Tori Amos is not even close to being one of the best technically.

Alpha Centauri
I have fully realized since the beginning that you do not think she is the best, however, by saying that she is technically brilliant you are wrong. Technically brilliance as defined in piano playing is not something she has.

No, technical brilliance is defined BY YOU as something those people have. You're right, but technical brilliance doesn't stop there. She's technically brilliant, just less so. You are assuming that "technically brilliant" can only be applied to the best ever, that's not the case.

Your analogy is not a good one for the situation as Thierry Henry is one of the best players of all time while Tori Amos is not even close to being one of the best technically.

Who is saying she's close to being one of the best? You didn't get the point of my analogy.

I'm saying that you are getting too caught up on defining the WORDS without seeing what I mean.

-AC

Nellinator
No, technical brilliance is defined BY YOU as something those people have. You're right, but technical brilliance doesn't stop there. She's technically brilliant, just less so. You are assuming that "technically brilliant" can only be applied to the best ever, that's not the case.

Who is saying she's close to being one of the best? You didn't get the point of my analogy.

I'm saying that you are getting too caught up on defining the WORDS without seeing what I mean.

-AC
That would not be my assumption in the least. However, brilliance would be comparitive thing at its finest level. Brilliance would be reserved for the A-class which is probably no more fifty players to have lived, while excellence would be for B-class which would be a couple thousand people and good technical skill would be for the C-class of which she would be included. Technical brilliance would suggest that she is capable of doing the most difficult things on piano, something that she cannot. I've played her music and the thing that she does to impress and sound good is arpeggiate within chords which is amazingly easy on piano. Her music has NOTHING difficult or any aspects of the incredible, but they do sound good. This means she is not technically brilliant.

Alpha Centauri
Brilliance would be reserved for the A-class..

According to? Do we have a law or bible that states this?

Technical brilliance would suggest that she is capable of doing the most difficult things on piano, something that she cannot.

How many people can play the stuff she plays (Which, if you read her tab books, isn't as easy as you're claiming to show off), on two grand pianos, one hand each?

She's pathetically good, ability wise. Far from the best, fine.

-AC

Nellinator
Brilliance indicates distinction and technically, she is not distinctly amazing technically though she is good.

Her music is pathetically easy compared to Liszt. I'd be happy to show you the amazing difference in difficulty. Now I easily admit that I could not play her music on two pianos and that she is far better than I am, but there are reasons why she was kicked out of music school.

Alpha Centauri
Brilliance indicates distinction and technically, she is not distinctly amazing technically though she is good.

I'm waiting on some kind of factual, non-subjective proof that this is the case. Until then, I don't agree with you.

Her music is pathetically easy compared to Liszt.

Compared to Liszt. A lot of piano is piss easy compared to Liszt.

I'd be happy to show you the amazing difference in difficulty. Now I easily admit that I could not play her music on two pianos and that she is far better than I am, but there are reasons why she was kicked out of music school.

And the plot thickens.

WHY do you keep emphasising the difference in difficulty? Why? It's not an issue. It doesn't stop her being brilliant in the eyes of many, it stops her being brilliant in the eyes of YOU because for some anal reason you only believe brilliance is applicable to the top 50 ever.

-AC

Impediment
A lot of piano is piss easy compared to Liszt.

For once, I agree with AC.

Nellinator
I'm waiting on some kind of factual, non-subjective proof that this is the case. Until then, I don't agree with you.

Compared to Liszt. A lot of piano is piss easy compared to Liszt.

And the plot thickens.

WHY do you keep emphasising the difference in difficulty? Why? It's not an issue. It doesn't stop her being brilliant in the eyes of many, it stops her being brilliant in the eyes of YOU because for some anal reason you only believe brilliance is applicable to the top 50 ever.

-AC
Before I get into that, I want to hear what you think makes her technically brilliant.

Very true.

I see brilliance being limited to a select handful simply because there is a clear distinction between the top group, the chasers, and C-classers like her. Saying she is technically brilliant is saying that she capable of feats on the piano that are technically brilliant, but she is not amazing in that regard because as flashy as what she does looks it has been done before by too many people distinguish her from the crowd, like playing on two pianos and playing with just the strings. Piano is a far more widely played instrument than the guitar (though I believe that will have changed by the next generation) and has been around much longer meaning that many people can play it to high levels, many better than her. What distinguishes her from the rest is her songwriting and emotional playing along with a great voice.

Alpha Centauri
Before I get into that, I want to hear what you think makes her technically brilliant.

No, I asked you first. Where's this bible or factual (Undeniable truth) evidence that says what brilliance is and how it should be applied? Unless you are using the term subjectively (You are).

I see brilliance being

Case closed. YOU see it being one thing, I see it being another. Unless you can provide factual evidence that says what the word "Brilliant" or "Brilliance" should be applied to, it's subjective how we use the word.

Saying she is technically brilliant is saying that she capable of feats on the piano that are technically brilliant, but she is not amazing in that regard because as flashy as what she does looks it has been done before by too many people distinguish her from the crowd, like playing on two pianos and playing with just the strings. Piano is a far more widely played instrument than the guitar (though I believe that will have changed by the next generation) and has been around much longer meaning that many people can play it to high levels, many better than her. What distinguishes her from the rest is her songwriting and emotional playing along with a great voice.

Why the f*ck are you harping on about how many people are better? Are you genuinely thick?

It doesn't matter how many people are better, she's still seen by many as technically brilliant. Me calling her that doesn't mean I'm putting her on the same level as the best, TO YOU it does because you have a retarded view of how to use the word "Brilliant.".

-AC

The Core
No love for Thelonious Monk? I dig all the "big" names, but there's something to be said about Monk.

Nellinator
Monk was the 11th person I would have put on the list, he is amazing. I kinda have a bias towards the classical people though.
No, I asked you first. Where's this bible or factual (Undeniable truth) evidence that says what brilliance is and how it should be applied? Unless you are using the term subjectively (You are).

Case closed. YOU see it being one thing, I see it being another. Unless you can provide factual evidence that says what the word "Brilliant" or "Brilliance" should be applied to, it's subjective how we use the word.

Why the f*ck are you harping on about how many people are better? Are you genuinely thick?

It doesn't matter how many people are better, she's still seen by many as technically brilliant. Me calling her that doesn't mean I'm putting her on the same level as the best, TO YOU it does because you have a retarded view of how to use the word "Brilliant.".

-AC
Brilliant as per dictionary definition refers to distinction. She is does nothing distinctive great technically on the piano. She is good, not distinct. When someone is just one of many thousands of people capable of these things they are not distinct, therefore, she is not distinct, meaning that she is not technically brilliant by any stretch of the imagination.

Alpha Centauri
Brilliant as per dictionary definition refers to distinction. She is does nothing distinctive great technically on the piano. She is good, not distinct. When someone is just one of many thousands of people capable of these things they are not distinct, therefore, she is not distinct, meaning that she is not technically brilliant by any stretch of the imagination.

Being one of JUST thousands compared to however many billions are on this planet, yes, that's distinct.

Stop being so anal and picky with the word "brilliance". It's not factual that she's not brilliant, you're just reducing the span of the word. It doesn't mean she's not technically brilliant.

I kinda have a bias towards the classical people though.

Then your opinion is hardly valid.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Liszt, Chopin, Horowitz, Tatum, Rubinstein, Rachminoff and others are all dead. Rubinstein (died 1983 I think), Tatum and Horowitz are easy to find on YouTube though. When you look at their compositions though it can be seen how technically skilled they were.

No, it can't.

Frank Zappa composed The Black Page for drums. He can't play drums very well.

However, the piece is so technically difficult that only Terry Bozzio and Vinnie Colaiuta have played it.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
No, it can't.

Frank Zappa composed The Black Page for drums. He can't play drums very well.

However, the piece is so technically difficult that only Terry Bozzio and Vinnie Colaiuta have played it.
They all play other composers as well. They can easily play at the level they compose. Most of them rearrange former composers' work and make it even more difficult. Horowitz, for example, is an amazing interpreter of Rachninoff, while Rubinstein is an amazing interpreter of Chopin.

Kid Kurdy
Who is Rachninoff ?

Victor Von Doom
They all play other composers as well. They can easily play at the level they compose. Most of them rearrange former composers' work and make it even more difficult. Horowitz, for example, is an amazing interpreter of Rachninoff, while Rubinstein is an amazing interpreter of Chopin.

Regardless, compositional skills aren't proof of technical ability on an instrument, as you suggested.

Nellinator
Regardless, compositional skills aren't proof of technical ability on an instrument, as you suggested. They can be, especially within classical context. The rigid structure of keys and timing in classical music means more skill is required for complex composition. You are right, but traditionally (at least among these people) the complexity has proven to be indicitive of their ability. Their songs can be so complex (especially Liszt) that to play even your own composition at that level is impressive.

Nellinator
Rachmaninoff is a classical composer in the late 19th century and early 20th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachmaninoff

Alpha Centauri
They can be, especially within classical context. The rigid structure of keys and timing in classical music means more skill is required for complex composition. You are right, but traditionally (at least among these people) the complexity has proven to be indicitive of their ability. Their songs can be so complex (especially Liszt) that to play even your own composition at that level is impressive.

You're putting too much weight and emphasis on what you think, not what actually is, which is odd considering you're dealing with terminology that is objective.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
They can be, especially within classical context. The rigid structure of keys and timing in classical music means more skill is required for complex composition. You are right, but traditionally (at least among these people) the complexity has proven to be indicitive of their ability. Their songs can be so complex (especially Liszt) that to play even your own composition at that level is impressive.

I know they can be.

You didn't say they can be, you said they are.

Nellinator
I know they can be.

You didn't say they can be, you said they are.
I stand corrected.

vanice
I ran out of options, I was just trying to give some of my ideas. I'd say Bill Evans is the best out of the ones you mentioned. I personally hold Art Tatum to be the greatest jazz pianist to ever live and one of the two best ever with Rubinstein.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzj6Q61h3oA
Around the 34 second mark he is just amazing and the end is even better.

Yeah, he's pretty amazing to. But I still think Bill Evans Keith Jarret and ( I forgot to mention) Brad Mehldau is on par or better than him. But it is a matter of taste to choose from these guys, who all are greats. I don't play the piano so i can't say so much about technique. However if you look at the way Mehldau plays on a note sheet, it's ****ed up :P .

Nellinator
Most jazz does look strange in notation. Art Tatum is considered the father of jazz piano by many, but I love him for the ease with which he is playing. He hardly looks and he's basically just dicking around.

I'd to be able to post one of Liszt's compositions, but I can't find it outside pdf format. His compositions are amazingly complex and fast.

~Pielover~
Why the Hell is Billy Joel not on that list?

Nellinator
Because they are all leagues above him.

Kid Kurdy
Rachmaninoff is a classical composer in the late 19th century and early 20th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachmaninoff
I know wink

But you wrote "Rachninoff ".

Kid Kurdy
Hey I always liked BJ. He has some very good songs.

Nellinator
I know wink

But you wrote "Rachninoff ".
My profused apologies.
Hey I always liked BJ. He has some very good songs.
I love Billie Joel. Honesty and Piano Man being my favorite songs by him, but skill wise he is not in the same league as these people.

I forgot to add this to the thread:
What is your favourite song(s) on the piano/keyboard/organ or with a major piano part? Or just list some you like...
Right now my favourite is probably 'Overcome' by Live.

Some that are among my favourites:
Crucify - Tori Amos
Dreamer - Ozzy Osbourne
Astronomy - Blue Oyster Cult
It's My Life - Bon Jovi (the piano version, very cool)
Suffragette City - David Bowie
Child In Time - Deep Purple
Desperado - The Eagles
The Dance - Garth Brooks
Alabama Clay - Garth Brooks
Angels Among Us - Alabama
Levon - Elton John
Tiny Dancer - Elton John
Piano Man - Billy Joel
Layla - Eric Clapton
Shadowboxer - Fiona Apple
Estranged - Guns N' Roses
Alone - Heart
Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
Imagine - John Lennon
Don't Stop Believing - Journey
Faithfully - Journey
In This River - Black Label Society
Nemo - Nightwish
Teardrops - Massive Attack
Bat Out of Hell - Meatloaf
I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meatloaf
Sister Christian - Night Ranger
Nightswimming - R.E.M.
Karma Police - Radiohead
Mad World - Gary Jules
Into The Fire - Thirteen Senses
Drops of Jupiter - Train
Calling All Angels - Train
When I Look to the Sky - Train
Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of - U2
Bittersweet Symphany - The Verve

Kid Kurdy
What is your favourite song(s) on the piano/keyboard/organ or with a major piano part? Or just list some you like...

The Long March - Vangelis

Have a little faith in me - John Hiatt

Leningrad - Billy Joel

Riders on the storm - The Doors

and a special nomination for Kikujiro - Joe Hisaishi

Nellinator
Leningrad - Billy Joel
I love this song.

vanice
Most jazz does look strange in notation. Art Tatum is considered the father of jazz piano by many, but I love him for the ease with which he is playing. He hardly looks and he's basically just dicking around.

I'd to be able to post one of Liszt's compositions, but I can't find it outside pdf format. His compositions are amazingly complex and fast.

yeah well I love Keith Jarrett because he is so caught by his music. He's like in a trance when he is playing. And he is an amazing improviser. But it's basically taste when choosing a pianist among these. I highly recommend The Brad Mehldau trio though, If you're in to jazz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ITJEf624M

§P0oONY
Jools Holland! w00t

Nellinator
Originally posted by vanice
yeah well I love Keith Jarrett because he is so caught by his music. He's like in a trance when he is playing. And he is an amazing improviser. But it's basically taste when choosing a pianist among these. I highly recommend The Brad Mehldau trio though, If you're in to jazz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ITJEf624M
He's one of the younger piano virtuosos out there. I only watched the first 4 minutes of this video and it didn't really show off his skill... very nice listening song though.

SelphieT
I like Amanda Palmer smile

vanice
He's one of the younger piano virtuosos out there. I only watched the first 4 minutes of this video and it didn't really show off his skill... very nice listening song though.

yeah It's hard to find the prefect clip stick out tongue
you should check out this guy :
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=127203304

he's a friend of mine, and he's a very talented person. he plays the piano, of course.

Nellinator
It is hard to find a nice clip showing off skill, but sometimes that's nice knowing that they aren't ruining the music by being overly busy.

That's a nice piano is his clip. I like him, he's jazz, but you can hear the rock influences in the jazz which makes a cool sound. Very good player.

ESB -1138
Who do you think is the best ever?

And if someone says Elton John or Tori Amos I will punch myself in the face pretending it was you because as much as I love both of them they are both C class pianists.

You put them up but not the Piano Man. Billy Joel is by far the best Piano player:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErPywgiMb4k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErPywgiMb4k

Nellinator
Billy Joel is really good, but he's not as good as any that I listed technically, probably a better songwriter though, other than Chopin and Rachmaninoff. I underrepresented jazz pianists sadly.

I'd rank the top three jazz pianists as:
1) Art Tatum
2) Thelonius Monk
3) Oscar Peterson
4) Billy Joel

vanice
Thelonius as nr 2??
ok......
I'id say
1. Bill Evans
2. Keith Jarret
3. Brad Mehldau
4. Bobo Stensson perhaps..? swedish jazz player, check him out..

Nellinator
My bad my new order would have Bill Evans, Keith Jarret and Brett Mehldau ahead of Billy Joel. My only unmoveable one is really Art Tatum. Even classical pianist like Horowitz consider him the greatest to ever touch the keys.

chillmeistergen
I'm fairly new to listening to music with a lot of piano in it. However, I really enjoy Matt Bellamy's piano playing especially in songs like space dementia and sunburn.

vanice
My bad my new order would have Bill Evans, Keith Jarret and Brett Mehldau ahead of Billy Joel. My only unmoveable one is really Art Tatum. Even classical pianist like Horowitz consider him the greatest to ever touch the keys.

yeah maby I should listen more to him.. cool

Nellinator
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I'm fairly new to listening to music with a lot of piano in it. However, I really enjoy Matt Bellamy's piano playing especially in songs like space dementia and sunburn.
I like the solo from Butterflies and Hurricanes.
Matt Bellamy is a decent piano player, but what he semi-cheats. He does arpeggios up the scale and back down really fast. Which is far easier to do than it looks. Not that I really care though because it sounds good. The opening line from Bliss is one of the easiest things to play once you figure it out.
Originally posted by vanice
yeah maby I should listen more to him.. cool He's hard to find sadly, but he is truly a master.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.