Inter-team Tournament

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TricksterPriest
This idea has been talked about and debated in the Ideal KMC team thread alot, so I'm giving it a thread of it's own.

ideas, judges, anything related to the idea. a draft was being discussed, how would we go about that?

Someone PM Digi, Tron and the other mods. we need mod approval for this one,.

Redatom65
well teams need to be decided before hand before we make judges and for that matter we need rules

Blair Wind
You need someone to direct it, organize it, and stay involved throughout the project.

You would need representatives from all teams on KMC

And most importantly you would need interest. I mean two tournaments were just done like a month ago. Plus I know DC and Newjak are planning on running one in the summer.

You dont really need mod approval that I know of just let them know and have them pin it.

Redatom65
Trickster you definetly are the hot headed mongoose. We were still in the midst of planning and you went and opened the thread

Devil Lance
I'd be up for judging

inamilist
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Plus I know DC and Newjak are planning on running one in the summer.

wicked smilesmile

any idea of the parameters? ie, teams, character level ect?

Redatom65
how about four members frome each team.

Anyone willing to set up guidelines for the tournament

TricksterPriest
Let's go with something similar to Evangel's set up.

Herald level: Surfer, Quasar, most cosmics under Thanos.
Team Buster: guys like Hulk, Apoc, Mags, Despero, basically powerhouses under herald level or just edging it.
ESPers: high end telepaths
Bricks: from guys like Blob, to the upper tier like the General.
Street levelers: DP, Shang-Chi, Shen Kuei, etc.

We'll go with a draft of members. each team selects a captain and that captain picks 4 people. If there is an imbalance in the teams, the mods or judges can fix it.

Barred powers: Time manipulation, ALE type powers (at least, ones that can't be countered IE: Omega Effect type shit), magic (too much of a deus ex machina, plus any team that gets LP would murder if he got to use Strange laughing ), and that's all I can think of.

What do you guys think? any ideas or changes?

Blair Wind
Four members from each team? How many teams actually still exist?

Royal Family, GLC, Illuminati, Mongooses....and who else?

If I were to say a power level for the tournament I would say Mid Tier level (Namor, Ironman, Storm, ect). Why? The herald level was JUST done (plus E's slugfest was just done as well Trick), and DC/NJ want to do a street level tourney later.

Plus it is soooooooo much simplier to keep it simple. All the power ups for the herald levelers had my head spinning no expression

Redatom65
we choose our players for our teams within our threads. deadline?

TricksterPriest
So the cap is Namor-level? Ok, I can work with that. 5-6 members better? as for teams, any team that wants in has to declare and send in a captain.

inamilist
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Let's go with something similar to Evangel's set up.

Herald level: Surfer, Quasar, most cosmics under Thanos.
Team Buster: guys like Hulk, Apoc, Mags, Despero, basically powerhouses under herald level or just edging it.
ESPers: high end telepaths
Bricks: from guys like Blob, to the upper tier like the General.
Street levelers: DP, Shang-Chi, Shen Kuei, etc.

I didn't really like that set-up honestly

A couple of reasons personally. The first is that on a team with surfer, magneto, and xavier, shang chi is almost worthless. The last tournament (or what I saw of it) just came down to the surfers and quasars doing massive energy attacks and the low end guys being cannon fodder...

The other is that, most times these tournaments seem to focus on the first moment of the fight. What person is able to do what faster than their opponent and how that single move wins he fight. With super powered characters like that can move at close to light speeds, the debate never goes anywhere. "no, my team wins because this FTL guy does this energy move" " no, my team moves because my FTL guy has marginally faster reflexes than your FTL guy."

It just seems to make things less provable. You can show for sure than one FTL character has better reflexes than the other... I don't know, maybe I'm just insane...

Keeping things limited to lower level characters might help, or using smaller teams... just my 2cents

Blair Wind
So the cap is Namor-level? Ok, I can work with that. 5-6 members better? as for teams, any team that wants in has to declare and send in a captain.

Too many members.

My suggestion for all this?

Find a director first. THEN decide all the rules and regulations.

But yea I would say something like Namor, Ironman, Storm, (maybe Magneto?) Northstar/Quicksilver level with a three/four man team (each member of the team debating for one of the characters.)

Say three/four characters and three/four members?

TricksterPriest
4 man teams, capped at Namor/IM/Storm level. Ok. so who wants to run the show?

DigiMark007
You need someone to direct it, organize it, and stay involved throughout the project.

You would need representatives from all teams on KMC

And most importantly you would need interest. I mean two tournaments were just done like a month ago. Plus I know DC and Newjak are planning on running one in the summer.

You dont really need mod approval that I know of just let them know and have them pin it.

thumb up

I can't see this doing great business, but you're welcome to try.

Hell, the partner herald tourney that leo/Kahn won was actually pretty close to this idea....but it wasn't an official "team" thing, there just happened to be some teams involved.

It's a busy time of year, and we just finished 2 tourneys and will be starting another this summer, with dedicated leadership and a plan. So good luck and all, but all I'll do is pin stuff if you do it.

Entity
I think Spunky and some others may have already been involved in discussing this but, I'd love to get the Illuminati and myself involved in this! eek!

Redatom65
aw sweet, Our Mongooses Are eager as hell

TricksterPriest
Given that no one else is gonna do this, I'll run this show myself. cool

Devil Lance
Given that no one else is gonna do this, I'll run this show myself. cool

Hey can I co run it with you? smile

TricksterPriest
Alright, after a brief discussion, Devil Lance and I are going to run this show. thumb up

..::Marea::..
Cool.

TricksterPriest
Alright. Namor is the strength cap. Quicksilver/Northstar is the speed cap. TP Cap is Grodd level. Cap for versatility is regular pre-extremis Iron Man.

4 people.

Brick
ESPer
Tech guy
Versatility (pretty much anyone who doesn't fit into the above 3. )

Any character who doesn't violate the rules can be used. If there are questionable picks, Devil Lance, Blair and myself will review them.

Blair Wind
ummm....If this is going to actually happen, I wanna participate. Which means I dont want people to think I can one up them in who comes and who doesnt erm

Also a question: are you doing this in the same method as Batdude did? As in you have to pick a brick type character, a ESPer, a Tech Guy, and a Versatility guy?

Not just four Namor/Ironman/Storm level characters?

Symmetric Chaos
ummm....If this is going to actually happen, I wanna participate. Which means I dont want people to think I can one up them in who comes and who doesnt erm

Also a question: are you doing this in the same method as Batdude did? As in you have to pick a brick type character, a ESPer, a Tech Guy, and a Versatility guy?

I think letting people pick any 4 characters within the requirements would potentially make for more interesting battles actually.

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I think letting people pick any 4 characters within the requirements would potentially make for more interesting battles actually.

Thats what I was thinking, but I'm not director here.

Devil Lance

yep thats how it is

TricksterPriest
what he said. as long as they qualify under the requirements of the character class and don't break the caps, they're ok.

Scoobless
Is this an individual or partner tourney?

Blair Wind
Team (as in partner AND team)

As in you would have to pick someone from your GLC crew.

Not sure how many members though (1 per character? 2 for two characters?)

Devil Lance
Team (as in partner AND team)

As in you would have to pick someone from your GLC crew.

Not sure how many members though (1 per character? 2 for two characters?)

4 members 1 character each

Blair Wind
Cool deal.....

I think I know just the team.....

SpunkySmurph
Slow down everybody.

I think representatives from teams is just going to end up with arguing/fighting, etc.

I think teams, amongst themselves, should choose a team of four characters, and then anybody from the team can provide scans or arguments for the duration of the matches.

jasonk3
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
Slow down everybody.

I think representatives from teams is just going to end up with arguing/fighting, etc.

I think teams, amongst themselves, should choose a team of four characters, and then anybody from the team can provide scans or arguments for the duration of the matches.

thumb up

Blair Wind
Slow down everybody.

Some teams have more people in them than others. It would be unfair erm

Four representatives is more fair as it evens the playing field erm

I would suggest a way for all four representatives to be able to talk about the other characters they are not talking about. How can you build a strategy without at least mentioning the other members on your team

Scoobless
Seems like this needs a hell of a lot of work before it's going to look like a plausible idea.

SpunkySmurph
Some teams have more people in them than others. It would be unfair erm

Four representatives is more fair as it evens the playing field erm

I would suggest a way for all four representatives to be able to talk about the other characters they are not talking about. How can you build a strategy without at least mentioning the other members on your team I was under the impression that all/most of the active teams had an adequate number of members... but, if you're worried about a swarm, we can limit it to a certain number of people per side. I suppose teams will have to set up individual votes or something.

Blair Wind
Eh its simple in the idea:

KMC Teams going against each other

Four representatives

Four Characters

Rules: Pending

erm

Edit: I think four from each side works just fine. You can work as a team that way, debating for the characters at hand

SpunkySmurph
Below Namor, is it?

Blair Wind
Below and equal to Namor/Ironman/Storm.....Think Mid Tier level

I have a few guys in mind that would work I think.

Scoobless
How about a league system rather than a knockout?

4 members each pick one character and have short 1 on 1 battles against members from the other teams.

3 points for a win and 1 for a draw.

Matches can last a couple of days with a 4-5 post limit.

That way everyone has equal responsibility for gaining their team's points.

It means more (shorter) matches for everyone and lets everyone face everyone else (apart from their teammates).

smile

SpunkySmurph
Below and equal to Namor/Ironman/Storm.....Think Mid Tier level

I have a few guys in mind that would work I think.

Yeah. Me too.

Rick/Genis
1eye

Scoobless
Originally posted by Scoobless
How about a league system rather than a knockout?

4 members each pick one character and have short 1 on 1 battles against members from the other teams.

3 points for a win and 1 for a draw.

Matches can last a couple of days with a 4-5 post limit.

That way everyone has equal responsibility for gaining their team's points.

It means more (shorter) matches for everyone and lets everyone face everyone else (apart from their teammates).

smile

Bottom of page curse lifted.

stick out tongue

SpunkySmurph
Meh.

I'd rather have group battles.

I think it allows for more creative character drafts

Rick/Genis
balloon

TricksterPriest
We're still debating whether we're gonna go with multiple 1v1 matches or group battles. I'm personally inclined to the group battle format.

However: TEAMS WILL PICK THEIR OWN REPS. The teams will pick their reps in their respective threads and send the finished list to this thread. As for whether you can talk about the other characters on your team or just argue for one guy, that's a decision your team will have to make. there's no strict set up for how the teams can debate, yet. But I'd rather keep that part open ended.

Rick/Genis
A fiery dice has been had with the pain of a million sorrows.

TricksterPriest
And so, a new god plays dice with the cosmos, and tears the rules of reality asunder. cool Yours was pretty kickass too.

Martian_mind
Eh,i can't be assed to read the whole thread,just give me the gist of what happened and tell me where i need to go to lay out some pwnage.

TricksterPriest
get a team, get 4 people, sign up.

Martian_mind
Will you be involved Tricker?If so.....

....I've already won.....

TricksterPriest
Read the rules martian, it's a whole new ball game.

Martian_mind
So,you need some random cronies from team mongoose to even make me bat an eyelid?

Your more like Apocalypse everyday....

stick out tongue

capt it up
I am game for this tourny

outavodka
Originally posted by Martian_mind
So,you need some random cronies from team mongoose to even make me bat an eyelid?

Your more like Apocalypse everyday....

stick out tongue Low blow wink I duno bout you guys but thinkin outside the box howbout makin 1vs1 gauntlet win style
example

blue's char1
blue's char2
blue's char3
blue's char4

vs

red char1
red char2
red char3
red char4

bc1 beats rc1 next bc1 vs rc2

Its abit diff ive only seen it used once on another forum. They utilized it quite well too

Rick/Genis
I sing a song to the battle of the nigerian, but he cannot hear me with his swallowed tongue.

Martian_mind
He basks in the sunlight that reflects from my blade as i cleave the flesh from his bones.

King_Mungi
Alright. Namor is the strength cap. Quicksilver/Northstar is the speed cap.

Better define that better, as Northstar can go lightspeed. Quicksilver's speed has nothing on Northstar, at best he tops was mach 10, while that was Northstar's cruising speed.

Rick/Genis
He moans wildly at the pleasures of grown men squeeling. It is his first kill. It's not taken idly but his forked blade is red hot with the freshness of slain meat.

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Rick/Genis
He moans wildly at the pleasures of grown men squeeling. It is his first kill. It's not taken idly but his forked blade is red hot with the freshness of slain meat.

ummm...what? confused

invisiblewoman
okay so what about members who are on multiple teams?

Rick/Genis
Originally posted by King_Mungi
ummm...what? confused A fiery red back gleams in the sunlight and he spots his target. The fork stood heavy in his arms. He lunged it.

Devil Lance
Originally posted by invisiblewoman
okay so what about members who are on multiple teams?

just pick one

or they could just abstain from the tourney.

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Rick/Genis
A fiery red back gleams in the sunlight and he spots his target. The fork stood heavy in his arms. He lunged it.

please stop spamming this thread

TricksterPriest
Ok, since Northstar is too damn fast, we're going with Quicksilver as the speed cap (About Mach 5-10 We'll discuss it more later). Which still leaves room for fast characters, but reduces the risk of speedblitzing dominating the tournament.

Blair Wind
Well....then again Northstar cannot go TOO fast because he would tear up his body (I am talking pre upgrade northstar) but eh.....I dont think it hurts my thought up team at all. smile

Newjak
This is very interesting.

King_Mungi
Well....then again Northstar cannot go TOO fast because he would tear up his body (I am talking pre upgrade northstar) but eh.....I dont think it hurts my thought up team at all. smile

Yeah he has had various upgrades from the Hand and the Children of the Vault augmenting him so he is vastly more durable.

TricksterPriest
thanks for the headsup mungi. I'd like to try and eliminate speedblitz as a viable tactic for the most part.

SpunkySmurph
What are the rules on TP?

Symmetric Chaos
What are the rules on TP?

Grodd level.

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Grodd level.
Yeah around there

also while things like psy bolts and regular TP atatcks and defenses like mind blocks are okay.

Things like lobotomiseing people, and taking control of your opponents are not.

Devil Lance
start forming your teams people because sign ups will be starting soon.

Newjak
Originally posted by Devil Lance
start forming your teams people because sign ups will be starting soon. Well I think you may have to hammer some more things out.

Maybe get all the rules together in one post.

whether it is going to be 4 1 on 1 matches
or 1 4 on 4 matches.

Basically give it a little longer the flesh out maybe at most a week.

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Newjak
Well I think you may have to hammer some more things out.

Maybe get all the rules together in one post.

whether it is going to be 4 1 on 1 matches
or 1 4 on 4 matches.

Basically give it a little longer the flesh out maybe at most a week.
its 1 4 on 4 smile

SpunkySmurph
I would prefer singuler, 4 on 4 matches, then multiple 1 on 1 matches.

4 on 4 allows more creativity with drafts and whatnot

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Scoobless
Seems like this needs a hell of a lot of work before it's going to look like a plausible idea.

A master list of rules, limits, etc. is always a good start...because no one outside of a few will have any idea what the hell's going on otherwise.

I have to be honest, I'm mostly disinterested at this point. But good luck and all. If it happens, it's better to have a good tourney than a crap one, so I wish you luck.

And also if it happens, go Corps. Count me out (sorry, too busy), but woot.

Newjak
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Pretty much

Devil Lance

roll eyes (sarcastic)
I really disagree
Trickster and I have talekd about this a lot ,and we've got most of the rules ironed out so its not like we're going into this without a plan.

Theres a lot of intrest in the tourney

And anyways the sooner this tourney starts the more time there will be between Newjack/DC's toruney.

but whatever :

Devil Lance
I would prefer singuler, 4 on 4 matches, then multiple 1 on 1 matches.

4 on 4 allows more creativity with drafts and whatnot

and thats the way it always was some people just need to read more throughly wink

SpunkySmurph
Right.

I'm making a master rule set , for clarification (as there is a definite need for one)

1. Each CBF Team must select 4 posters to represent them. This will be the "tourney team for <insert name of CBF team>"
2. Each tourney team selects four characters. There are four roles to fill on the team of characters. Thusly, one character per role:

The roles are as follows:
Brick Character (The strength guy. Maybe flight/speed, etc., but very limited versatality)
Psychic Character (ESPer. The guy who's prominent powers are mentally-based)
Tech Guy (The guy with the goods. It is his equipment you will be relying on for the tourney)
Versatile Guy (The guy who doesn't fall into the above categories, who would have the most options in a fight. A GL is very versatile. Thor would be quite versatile.)

3. For each character role, there is a power limit. No character may exceed these limits.

Category - Limit (You can equal or be inferior to this person for said category)

Strength - Namor
Telepathy - Grodd
Speed - Quicksilver
Versatality - Pre-extremis Ironman

If there are questions about certain characters being within the limits or not, then either PM Trickster, Devil Lance or Blair, or post them on the thread. One of the three will give an official decision about it.

4. Do not take a character who's specific area wasn't covered in the discussion, ( for example, a special form of Telepathy that isn't relateable to Grodd) but who you know could possibly be legitamatley over the limit. The right is reserved for a tourney host to ban a particular method of battle in the midst of a debate, so it is advised that you clear risky decisions or methods before hand, via PM. If you choose not to clear it, be prepared to argue the legitimacy of this move in your debate.

5. About TP- Mind attacking, psibolts, etc. are all forms of telepathy that are allowed. Controlling the mind/body of an enemy, making them attack their teammates, etc. is NOT allowed. If there are questions, ask them before battles.

These are the rules as I understand them so far. Trickster, Devil Lance, or Blair may clarify something if I got it wrong, or if I missed something.

DigiMark007
It's just historically been bad to try to have a tourney during the peak of school season....participants, judges, forum interest, etc. Especially wedged between other tourneys. And a good tourney, start-to-finish, takes at least a couple months (maybe a bit longer)...so we'll be covering a lot of ground and headed into early summer before this is over.

If you prove me wrong, cool. But that's just my feelings on the matter.

TricksterPriest
Digi is right that we need a few more days. But after a day or two, we should be ready to post a master rule set and restrictions. And yes, it is a 4v4 match between two teams. The 1v1 setup doesn't work IMO.

Regarding TP: anything outside lobotomizing, and controlling the other team is legal.

Matter manipulation: if you do pick someone with this power, you can mess with the field, but not the other team.

power-sharing/ amping: Superboy Kon-El is the limit, for now.

Blair Wind
and Devil Lance is the man in charge....I dont know how my name got involved in all this, as I am forming a team myself.

TK is allowed for the TP guy I am assuming?

Newjak
Meh Digi I think the rules need to be a bit more thought out but from the sound of it these matches should only take a day or two something like that.

TricksterPriest
TK's legal, as long as you don't lobotomize, or stop someone's heart, or something along those lines.

Blair: You're basically an advisor. Devil is running the show once we get underway. I'm just doing the set up. I'll turn the reins over soon enough.

inamilist

Regarding TP: anything outside lobotomizing, and controlling the other team is legal.

can we specify lobotomizing a little more...

What would be the ruling on shutting down receptor neurons in the eyes/ears/skin?

what about electromagnetic stimulation of various brain regions? technically the last one is not even a form of TP but electric manip

TricksterPriest
Well, it's kind of a grey area. But we'll allow it. you're good. thumb up

TricksterPriest
to reiterate: certain powers and characters will be banned.

Karate Kid
Squirrel Girl
Doop
Animal Man at full potential (He's capped at earth based animals only)
Temugin (His father, is however, legal, pending review)
Johnny Sorrow
Gentleman Ghost
Gamora (pending review)

Duplicators (Multiple Man, etc)
Time control/time manipulation
magic
Death touch-like abilities (Famine, Death Gambit, Zero, Johnny Sorrow, basically no one hit KO powers)

that's all so far.

inamilist
what about the durability cap?

or people who can exist without a physical body or as pure energy?

Devil Lance
Originally posted by inamilist
what about the durability cap?

or people who can exist without a physical body or as pure energy?

Druability is agian in the Namor/ Thing/ Regular Ironman range

people like the Ray are fine people who can't be hit at all aren't

TricksterPriest
what he said on the 2nd. as for the first, Thing level is what we're going with for now.

SpunkySmurph
I think we need an energy-powers cap

Oh, and Gamora shouldn't be banned, IMO. Unlike the others, she has been beaten. It's not like she exceeds any of the caps. Not to mention, there are people that are quite arguably just as skilled, or moreso, then her.

Devil Lance
I think we need an energy-powers cap

Oh, and Gamora shouldn't be banned, IMO. Unlike the others, she has been beaten. It's not like she exceeds any of the caps. Not to mention, there are people that are quite arguably just as skilled, or moreso, then her.

I'd say the enrgy cap is around the Ray/Dr. Light pre mindwipe level

TricksterPriest
Hmm. ok then. Gamora stays. But no god-slayer sword.

Energy powers cap is Sinister level, for now. or what he said. whichever works.

DigiMark007
Meh Digi I think the rules need to be a bit more thought out but from the sound of it these matches should only take a day or two something like that.

Like I said, I'll be happy to be proved wrong. Still can't participate (not joking about the psycho-busy part) but you'll have your stuff pinned if and when this takes off.

Newjak
Like I said, I'll be happy to be proved wrong. Still can't participate (not joking about the psycho-busy part) but you'll have your stuff pinned if and when this takes off. Nice sig by the way stick out tongue

Devil Lance
Nice sig by the way stick out tongue

stop spamming roll eyes (sarcastic)

Newjak
Originally posted by Devil Lance
stop spamming roll eyes (sarcastic) It wasn't spam there is a code there between me and Digi and talks about the entire Tourny who is in who is gonna win even some of the picks that are gonna be made. It is a very complex code shifty

anyways looking forward to a pleasant tourny stick out tongue

DigiMark007
*farts in brail to newjak*

ninja

TricksterPriest
laughing