Do you believe?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
I believe belief is a belief and we don't actually believe anything, we just believe we believe something, we don't actually believe what we're believing, but we believe that, and can't prove or disprove we are believing what we believe to believe.

Do you believe my belief?

Symmetric Chaos
No, because choosing to agree or disagree with it is meaningless and it's simpler to not address it.

debbiejo
Originally posted by lord xyz
I believe belief is a belief and we don't actually believe anything, we just believe we believe something, we don't actually believe what we're believing, but we believe that, and can't prove or disprove we are believing what we believe to believe.

Do you believe my belief? blink Belief isn't a falsity even when your belief is a false one. Belief can be proved by actions upon that belief, I believe.

SpearofDestiny

I believe that belief is believed by the believers who believe.

lord xyz
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
I believe that belief is believed by the believers who believe. But you can't know that.

SpearofDestiny
But you can't know that.

But I beleive.

chickenlover98
if you believe it it will happen. just look at naruto

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
No, because choosing to agree or disagree with it is meaningless and it's simpler to not address it.

Storm
"Belief" refers to a mental acceptance of the truth of some proposition, idea, statement, or fact. It does not mean, however, that the person is convinced of this truth with absolute certainty.

lord xyz
But I beleive. Oh, okay.

Originally posted by Storm
"Belief" refers to a mental acceptance of the truth of some proposition, idea, statement, or fact. It does not mean, however, that the person is convinced of this truth with absolute certainty. I'm trying to let us think outside more. It's possible we don't actually believe what we think we believe, we just think we believe it. So, you cant be sure that you believe what you believe. You can only believe you believe what you believe.

SpearofDestiny
Oh, okay.

I'm trying to let us think outside more. It's possible we don't actually believe what we think we believe, we just think we believe it. So, you cant be sure that you believe what you believe. You can only believe you believe what you believe.

But I believe that I believe what I believe with believed belief. Believe me.

Drusilla

Hmm... tough. If I believe your belief, I don't actually believe, I just believe that I believe.
I don't know what to believe but sometimes I can't believe what others believe.

SpearofDestiny
I believe I believe my believed belief, believably. Believe me.

inimalist
I'm trying to let us think outside more. It's possible we don't actually believe what we think we believe, we just think we believe it. So, you cant be sure that you believe what you believe. You can only believe you believe what you believe.

You will need to give some way to differentiate between what you would expect to see if someone really believed something versus what you would expect to see if someone only believed they believed something.

It looks nice as a phrase, and I would agree with its intention, but I don't think in the strictest sense you are correct. I don't feel there is really any difference of anything concrete between "belief" or "belief in belief".

Now, there are cases where people will act in ways that are totally against what they say they believe, or where they will act in a way and be unable to justify it, or where someone can believe 2 mutually exclusive things, but I think that assumes that "belief" somehow has to be reflective of objective reality if you take those as proof for what you are saying.

I'd almost say it is necessary for someone to believe they believe in something before it could even be categorized as a "belief".

lord xyz
Originally posted by inimalist
You will need to give some way to differentiate between what you would expect to see if someone really believed something versus what you would expect to see if someone only believed they believed something.

It looks nice as a phrase, and I would agree with its intention, but I don't think in the strictest sense you are correct. I don't feel there is really any difference of anything concrete between "belief" or "belief in belief".

Now, there are cases where people will act in ways that are totally against what they say they believe, or where they will act in a way and be unable to justify it, or where someone can believe 2 mutually exclusive things, but I think that assumes that "belief" somehow has to be reflective of objective reality if you take those as proof for what you are saying.

I'd almost say it is necessary for someone to believe they believe in something before it could even be categorized as a "belief". Well, christians believe they believe God exists. Some don't actually believe God exists, they believe they believe.

The difference would be, those who believe they believe would have to disbelieve by means of a completely different method.

But yeah, if you believe you believe, it's no different than actually believing, as actually believing and beliving to believe has the same self impact.

It does however, make people more skeptic when thinking about whether they believe what they think they believe, or actually believe it.

But I believe that I believe what I believe with believed belief. Believe me. Yeah, we get it. stick out tongue

~Forever*Alone~
are you questioning the existence of belief itself?

lord xyz
Originally posted by ~Forever*Alone~
are you questioning the existence of belief itself? Yes.

~Forever*Alone~
well then, nothing can be real can it?

lord xyz
well then, nothing can be real can it? We won't know.

SpearofDestiny
But we can beleive stick out tongue

lord xyz
But we can beleive stick out tongue Exactly. You're not going to shut up about this I bet.

Anyway, more to the point.

All this talk about not knowing stuff is ridiculous.

On a thought:

Me: God defies the laws of phyiscs and is unlikely. He doesn't exist.
My arguing self: But what if what we think are the laws of physics are wrong, and the actual laws show God is likely.
Me: It's unlikely that the human population is all delusional.
MAS: Maybe we're not delusional, just not fully aware.
Me: Well, yes. But it doesn't apply to us.
MAS: But it could be wrong.
Me: We'll have to take that chance.
MAS: But even the chance itself could be very high that we're wrong.
Me: Well, then we shall live the way we have, not aware until evolution allows us to be aware.

Then I stop arguing with myself.

Shakyamunison
Exactly. You're not going to shut up about this I bet.

Anyway, more to the point.

All this talk about not knowing stuff is ridiculous.

On a thought:

Me: God defies the laws of phyiscs and is unlikely. He doesn't exist.
My arguing self: But what if what we think are the laws of physics are wrong, and the actual laws show God is likely.
Me: It's unlikely that the human population is all delusional.
MAS: Maybe we're not delusional, just not fully aware.
Me: Well, yes. But it doesn't apply to us.
MAS: But it could be wrong.
Me: We'll have to take that chance.
MAS: But even the chance itself could be very high that we're wrong.
Me: Well, then we shall live the way we have, not aware until evolution allows us to be aware.

Then I stop arguing with myself.

The true nature of reality cannot be known by hominids on a small blue planet, in orbit of a small yellow star in an average galaxy. Don't be so arrogant to think we know anything.

SpearofDestiny
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The true nature of reality cannot be known by hominids on a small blue planet, in orbit of a small yellow star in an average galaxy. Don't be so arrogant to think we know anything.

I agree thumb up

Lord xyz, stop whining and do your homework. You have school tomorrow.

chithappens
Originally posted by chickenlover98
if you believe it it will happen. just look at naruto

English dub. Ewwww.

lord xyz
The true nature of reality cannot be known by hominids on a small blue planet, in orbit of a small yellow star in an average galaxy. Don't be so arrogant to think we know anything. Th...That's COMPLETELY not what I said. I agree, we can't know everything, I said that. ****ing read it again.

I agree thumb up

Lord xyz, stop whining and do your homework. You have school tomorrow. You, again, too stupid to understand.

Shakyamunison
Th...That's COMPLETELY not what I said. I agree, we can't know everything, I said that. ****ing read it again.

You, again, too stupid to understand.

How do we know we know anything?

SpearofDestiny
I believe that belief is believed by believable believers believing beliefs that can be believably bellieved through believable belief. Believe me believably. Be a believer.

lord xyz
How do we know we know anything? You're screwing with me, aren't you?

Shakyamunison
You're screwing with me, aren't you?

NO! You are under age. wink laughing out loud

debbiejo
God: HAHA, you don't like my jokes?

US: Well some of us got them..

God: Good, I thought there were a few good men.

US: Hey, some of us are women.

God: Yeah, Men were my first creation, kinda flawed.

Us: Tell me about it...

God: Between you and I, we'll just let them think we are all male.

Us: I like you.......hahahah

lord xyz
NO! You are under age. wink laughing out loud N-ot funny.

Shakyamunison
N-ot funny.

Oh! grow up... laughing out loud

lord xyz
Oh! grow up... laughing out loud Anyway, back to your original point, I said that even though humans can't know anything, it doesn't matter. Better we concentrate on what we do know.

~Forever*Alone~
what do we know? if you cant believe it it doesnt matter.

yvonnekarate
I believe what I believe. I believe there might be a force, which I choose to call God. But I won't say it's certain or anything. My beliefs are private and I prefer it to stay that way.

Regards, Yvonne

lord xyz
what do we know? if you cant believe it it doesnt matter. Okay, not know...dammit! This is too contreversial. no expression

~Forever*Alone~
Okay, not know...dammit! This is too contreversial. no expression

hi, hows it going?

shaynebmxxx
wow the title of this thing is more of a tongue twister then a legit post..

DigiMark007

And don't be so low on humanity that you think we can't know anything.

Arguments of the subjective nature of reality are one thing, but get us nowhere. We can speak (in practical terms) of many, many things that we do know, and can treat as though they are facts (I don't say they are hard facts, because all "facts" are provisional in science).

Having identified the origin of the universe by analysis of cosmic radiation, the composition and density of stars, planets, galaxies, even the approximate mass of the universe (all of these things can be verified by empirical findings, btw) it isn't preposterous to say that we do, in fact, know quite a bit.

Everything? Certainly not. But we have no reason to believe the laws of physics are any different in other parts of the universe, or that the interaction between atoms and other particles is any different. So it becomes reasonable to assume we have a decent grasp on the reality around us, despite not knowing everything there is to know.

The universe is vast, complex, and unimaginably intricate. But we know a lot, and the human mind is also an impressive entity. And if we don't know certain things about our surroundings, we're working on it....not tacitly presuming an inferiority to our environment.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by DigiMark007
And don't be so low on humanity that you think we can't know anything.

Arguments of the subjective nature of reality are one thing, but get us nowhere. We can speak (in practical terms) of many, many things that we do know, and can treat as though they are facts (I don't say they are hard facts, because all "facts" are provisional in science).

Having identified the origin of the universe by analysis of cosmic radiation, the composition and density of stars, planets, galaxies, even the approximate mass of the universe (all of these things can be verified by empirical findings, btw) it isn't preposterous to say that we do, in fact, know quite a bit.

Everything? Certainly not. But we have no reason to believe the laws of physics are any different in other parts of the universe, or that the interaction between atoms and other particles is any different. So it becomes reasonable to assume we have a decent grasp on the reality around us, despite not knowing everything there is to know.

The universe is vast, complex, and unimaginably intricate. But we know a lot, and the human mind is also an impressive entity. And if we don't know certain things about our surroundings, we're working on it....not tacitly presuming an inferiority to our environment.

I am not being low on humanity. I simple believe that there are things in the understanding of the universe that are beyond our ability to comprehend.

SpearofDestiny
Originally posted by DigiMark007

Understanding this, why would you then argue that the mind is simply the product of neural activity, and nothing more ? erm

chithappens

How did this idiocy start a discussion?

You could assume to know what he meant, but this "articulation" says nothing AT ALL.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.