MMORPG based on Kotor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Hord
It will be made by Bioware and here is the article it is not much though.Hopefully they will make an official announcement soon.
http://www.primotechnology.com/2007/10/19/biowares-upcoming-mmo-based-in-kotor-universe/

Ushgarak
If this turns out to be true- and lets not jump the gun yet- then my thoughts on this are already on record.

Which is that despite some of my issues with KOTOR, it is a MUCH better setting for an MMORPG than galaxies is or ever will be. Everyone can be Jedi or Sith as much as they like.

In many ways it might be a better MMORPG setting than it was RPG setting- my worst nightmare will be if they bring the morality system across. Sod that, make a Jedi or a Sith (or at least good guy or bad guy) and run with it.

Lord Melkor
I wonder how would they threat the Sith hierarchy....

exanda kane
Would let Galaxies be free of the Jedi problem, just rumours though.

Lord Melkor
Everybody would want to play the Sith anyway....

Darth Hord
If it does get announced then i think it could be a better game then star wars galaxies. But it does bring up the question about what is going to happen to kotor 3 doesn't it. Hopefully they have seperate teams working on each game. If this turns out to be true.

Violent2Dope
I think it may be good. I like the KOTOR games, and like some MMORPGs.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Lord Melkor
Everybody would want to play the Sith anyway....

Not so sure about that, actually. I think the average gaming instinct is to play the good guy.

What we WILL get are a lot of Light Siders saying "Yeah, I'm on the Light Side, but the Jedi aren't the boss of me because I am too cool for that," and all that sort of vapid nonsense.

I am sure there will be Grey Jedi wannabees too. Always brings out the worst in people, this kind of thing.

Melcórë
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Not so sure about that, actually. I think the average gaming instinct is to play the good guy.

What we WILL get are a lot of Light Siders saying "Yeah, I'm on the Light Side, but the Jedi aren't the boss of me because I am too cool for that," and all that sort of vapid nonsense.

I am sure there will be Grey Jedi wannabees too. Always brings out the worst in people, this kind of thing.

So....you don't like any sort of realism in Star Wars, do you Ush? stick out tongue

BTW: I totally agree with you when EVERYBODY wants to be a Jedi with a past, or wants to be a rebel....but surely there's bound to be SOME people like that....

Ushgarak
I like things to be the way they were meant to be. Star Wars was meant to be epic good guy vs. bad guy fantasy in a sci-fi environment. if I wanted moral grey areas and gritty realism I'd want to bw playing Babylon 5 or Blade Runner, where such things are highly appropriate.

And yes, there would be some (although the 'Jedi but not really a Jedi' schtick just makes you...a bad Light Sider, really), but faaaaaaar too many would want to be like that.

Morridini
Weird thing is, I would actually want to be a Mandalorian if given the chance, even though I really like the Sith of this era.

Melcórë
I like things to be the way they were meant to be. Star Wars was meant to be epic good guy vs. bad guy fantasy in a sci-fi environment. if I wanted moral grey areas and gritty realism I'd want to bw playing Babylon 5 or Blade Runner, where such things are highly appropriate.

And yes, there would be some (although the 'Jedi but not really a Jedi' schtick just makes you...a bad Light Sider, really), but faaaaaaar too many would want to be like that.

I know what you mean.

LOL, I never really thought about it meaning you were just a horrible Jedi - I s'pose that's at least partially true. A character flaw, I s'pose, with tendencies to embrace the Dark Side....

Originally posted by Morridini
Weird thing is, I would actually want to be a Mandalorian if given the chance, even though I really like the Sith of this era.

If a KotOR-themed MMORPG was to be developed, I half to say that I'd either be a Sith or a Mandalorian. But what type of Mandalorian would be available to us? The species, which is all but extinct at this time, or the conglomerate - or both?

exanda kane
What's the difference, you can be a Jedi, light or dark, a Mandalorian or a Smuggler in Galaxies.

Morridini
The setting...

In Galaxies there is no logic behind having Jedies running around, this era however the Jedi and Sith were numbering thousands.

Se7in
Oh God no. What the Hell will groups fight? Giant Rancors? Hordes of Dark Jedi? How the Hell will they balance light vs. dark when they haven't done it in any of the Force-choosing games yet (Jedi Outcast/Academy, Kotor I/II)?

I doubt it will be any good.

Violent2Dope
Not so sure about that, actually. I think the average gaming instinct is to play the good guy. Lol, no.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Lol, no.

Tell that to the population's the SWG servers.

Melcórë
Originally posted by Se7in
Oh God no. What the Hell will groups fight? Giant Rancors? Hordes of Dark Jedi? How the Hell will they balance light vs. dark when they haven't done it in any of the Force-choosing games yet (Jedi Outcast/Academy, Kotor I/II)?

I doubt it will be any good.

You have to remember, right now it's one of those rumours from a "reliable source" - meaning it is almost certainly untrue. wink

Blax_Hydralisk
It'll be done. Too much money to be made.

Melcórë
Oh, I don't doubt a KotOR-sequel - yet perhaps not an MMORPG.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Lol, no.

Errr... yes, actually. Sorry, but... that's just the way it is.

As to whether the game will be balanced or not- fair question. Likewise, yes, it will just descend into a pointless Light vs. Dark fes, and as no-one can permanently die it will be very weird indeed.

IF this is true, then I am very unlilely to play it. I just think it is a better base idea than Galaxies, where the setting is just toally inappropriate in many ways.

Violent2Dope
You want to be able to permanently die in the game? What the f**k?

Ushgarak
Not at all, just saying that the fact that you cannot- a feature important on a gaming side- will automatically detract from the significance of a Jedi/Sith war.

There are just some things that are beyond gaming, really. But despite all that, it's easier to game this than it is to game the OT period as Galaxies tried, which is truly hopeless even if they had done it right, which they didn't.

Blax_Hydralisk
I agree. The KOTOR timeline would be much better.

Violent2Dope
Yeah, I also agree. I like the fact that it will be an MMO cause there will be a wider range of equipment most likely, and if I'm lucky, better character customization.

exanda kane
On a whole, SWG's character customisation is very good; while old hat now, the amount of items that can be created by tailors does allow for alot of it.

Atticus
i think it should be like age of Conan where you play the campaign choosing your side and beating the campaign and then you can go into the mmo. but thats going to be pretty hard seeing as the story probably won't allow a mmo in its ending.

either way its going to take some kickass gameplay and/or storyline for it to be any kind of success...
and that why i don't like the mmo idea if they want to revive the kotor franchise they need to focus on what it does best(storyline/gameplay) not the
few remaining kotor nerds uniting to try and rejuvenate the glory or kotor

Darth Hord
http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/

this was posted in the kotor 3 thread but i doubt it will be groundbreaking if it were kotor 3. It seems to more of mmo game even though it isnt groundbreaking. But it might have cool features and the announcement was expected soon.

Violent2Dope
It'd be cool if you could make more species than just humans.

Darth Hord
if there is an mmo im positve they would make it that way

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by Darth Hord
if there is an mmo im positve they would make it that way I think so too. Also, it shouldn't be like the Kotor games where you just pick a face, I want to customize hair, facial features, height, weight, the size of individual body parts, and all that mess. That would be cool. smokin'

Atticus
YAY BIOWARE!!!!Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

xxxpoppunker182
I would like KOTOR 3 to come out before an MMORPG. Honestly the KOTOR era is pretty much untouched so a story line wouldn't be hard to come up with.

They could make it like WOW how either side doesnt actually lose the war but the war starts over if a group of people can blast into the main strongholds and kill all the leaders

0°Mandalore°0
I really prefer KotoR 3 over the MMO game.

exanda kane
Nah, SWG was the nuts back in the day. Anyway, single player games are for geeks, uncouth ones, too.

Blax_Hydralisk
I concur 13

Violent2Dope
But wasting life on an MMO is time well spent! thumbsupdur

exanda kane
Depends how much you play: I haven't had the chance to log on for a week or two, but my character has been there for 5 years, the blokes a legend!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.