Luck

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I'd like to examine this concept or idea.

I believe "luck" happens because of knowledge and skill. Meaning Luck is the residue of knowledge and skill.

One person said that the harder or smarter he worked the luckier he got.

Some would say luck is just positive coincidence that happens by chance but i think luck is in one's own power and it can be controlled so as to have it happen more willfully than coincidentally..

What do you think?

leonheartmm
unusual karma. very good karma.

i think lady luck does smile down upon some people randomly/psuedo randomly smile. i dunno.

inimalist
Luck is a very strange concept. I'd like to just outright say that it doesn't exist, but it clearly does. Not in any metaphysical sense imho, but there are things that one can count as lucky.

My opinion would be that luck is the inadvertant accomplishment of a particular goal (re: unearned positive feeling) or aversion of a potential threat. I would never say that luck comes from someone working hard, because I feel that is demeaning to the person who works hard. I totally reject the idea of karma as anything beyond recriprical altruism, although one could be "lucky" in the way that others display their altruism.

leonheartmm
luck is luck. often times since we see expected randomness in percieved good fortune in people{when viewing societ as a whole from an unibased prespective}, i suppose it could simply be the few individuals who deviate from the norm{also probable among many many individuals} and consistantly{due to random coincidence} have percieved good things happen to them. like 1 out of a 216 people will probably throw three 6s in a row due to a random coincidence.

ofcourse.... it could be more than that smile

Storm
It was Samuel Goldwyn who said that "the harder he worked, the luckier he got", and it was said in a business context. In business, entrepreneurs largely do make their own luck. They owe their success to working hard, taking initiative, learning from past mistakes, ... In short, common sense.

If I win the lottery then it isn' t because of my knowledge and skills. Luck is random. It can be favorable or not, but it is always occasional, brief, and impermanent.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by leonheartmm
unusual karma. very good karma.

i think lady luck does smile down upon some people randomly/psuedo randomly smile. i dunno.

The Karma thing revolves around the "everything that goes around comes around" concept. That way is still action based in terms of willing luck to happen.

You do good with the intention of receiving something in return, just without asking for it. (Well I guess you're asking for it if you have that intention.) So it's more of a silent positive asking if you've given out good karma.

But it's not random. As in it just happens to you out of the blue or by chance or for no reason. It can happen to you at anytime but that's because you've somehow willed "or asked" for it earlier and probably unknowingly.

Shakyamunison
I don't believe in luck. The universe operates through cause and effect. Luck is a word humans use to describe patterns in causality that are at best arbitrary. It is like looking at a wall and seeing faces. You may see faces, but they are not there.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by inimalist
Luck is a very strange concept. I'd like to just outright say that it doesn't exist, but it clearly does. Not in any metaphysical sense imho, but there are things that one can count as lucky.

My opinion would be that luck is the inadvertant accomplishment of a particular goal (re: unearned positive feeling) or aversion of a potential threat. I would never say that luck comes from someone working hard, because I feel that is demeaning to the person who works hard. I totally reject the idea of karma as anything beyond recriprical altruism, although one could be "lucky" in the way that others display their altruism.

Luck does exist metaphysically. And I don't think luck is unearned. It seems, as i said earlier, that luck is the residue of skill and knowledge. Karma has relevance to it too.

And I don't think it's demeaning at all to say someone has some luck out of working hard. I'm not saying: "He works hard cause he's lucky. He just has an ability, unbeknownst to him, to work hard and succeed, but it's not all him." No. I'm saying: "He works hard and has succeeded to the heights he's attained. Any luck that happened was earned. Thing is, no one gets to the top with out some measure of luck."

There are tons of potential professional-grade athletes that'll never go pro. And they'll work extremely, and/or just as hard as current pro-sports players but there will be that one thing that'll prevent them from getting there despite all that hard work. And that's (bad) luck.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I don't believe in luck. The universe operates through cause and effect. Luck is a word humans use to describe patterns in causality that are at best arbitrary. It is like looking at a wall and seeing faces. You may see faces, but they are not there.

Luck exists. I as well believe in cause and effect but I also believe it's why luck can exist.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Luck does exist metaphysically. And I don't think luck is unearned. It seems, as i said earlier, that luck is the residue of skill and knowledge. Karma has relevance to it too.

And I don't think it's demeaning at all to say someone has some luck out of working hard. I'm not saying: "He works hard cause he's lucky. He just has an ability, unbeknownst to him, to work hard and succeed, but it's not all him." No. I'm saying: "He works hard and has succeeded to the heights he's attained. Any luck that happened was earned. Thing is, no one gets to the top with out some measure of luck."

There are tons of potential professional-grade athletes that'll never go pro. And they'll work extremely, and/or just as hard as current pro-sports players but there will be that one thing that'll prevent them from getting there despite all that hard work. And that's (bad) luck.

Try an experiment; have different people flip quarters and record the result and ask the person how lucky they are. You have to do a lot of flipping per person; if the results are significantly different from person to person then there is such a thing as luck. However, if the numbers average out to be the same, then there is no such thing as luck.

Bardock42

What does that say about blacks becoming slaves?

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/Bardock42/Stan.gif

Mindship
I try not to attribute things to luck as much as possible. I think psychological forces should be explored first, including our predilection for seeing patterns, or at the very least wanting to see patterns. If there are transcendent forces involved, then I would imagine, at that level, the distinction between subject (the person) and object (luck) gets blurred.

Bardock42
Despite being a racist, I think FOTN makes a rather good point though. Not that I think luck has any metaphysical bearing, I just think the word is attributed to causes on your life that you might not have power over or that are not obvious or explicable.

Shakyamunison
Luck exists. ...

Please provide poof for this statement. I think the truth is that you believe luck to exist, but that is quite different then saying it does exist.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Bardock42

Hey. What are you doing in here. You're not smart enough to be in here. (you're not smart enough at all actually.)

So shoo. Scram, Timberland.

SpearofDestiny
The Karma thing revolves around the "everything that goes around comes around" concept.

A simple and common misunderstanding.

Buddhist Karma is not like Hindu or "Christian" Karma. Karma is a trail of cause and effect, and can be changed at any time. One little thought will lead to a little action which will lead to another thought which will lead to another greater action, which will cause a chain reaction of thoughts, emotions, and actions, all resulting from the prior thought, emotion, or action.

While Hindus beleive your karma in one lifetime is fixed, and that another lifetime is required to improve karma, Buddhists beleive you can change your karma any time in your life.

If you aim to hurt someone, you are putting out negativity which will become something worse, depending on your next series of choices.

chithappens

Short straw like a mother ****er

Emilinka
i find that i get really lucky after i have some coffee eek! and I'm not so lucky any other time.

which is why i believe in luck

Bardock42
Hey. What are you doing in here. You're not smart enough to be in here. (you're not smart enough at all actually.)

So shoo. Scram, Timberland. But, but. I'm white.
Originally posted by chithappens
Short straw like a mother ****er W-what?

FistOfThe North
But, but. I'm white.

With down syndrome. So don't let the door hit you in the hump, Timbo.

Now beat it.

Bardock42
With down syndrome. So don't let the door hit you in the hump, Timbo.

Now beat it. I know that song. It's by that black guy who molests children and wants to be white so much.

Wait a second, that's every black guy, isn't it?

SpearofDestiny
I know that song. It's by that black guy who molests children and wants to be white so much.

There's no need for that. Why stoop to his level ? erm

FistOfThe North
I know that song. It's by that black guy who molests children and wants to be white so much.

See, luck does exist. In this case it's bad cause he's in here, but it does exist nonetheless.

But seriously buzz off, I don't want to risk having your stupidity rub off or infect anyone in here that may be vulnerable, D.H.

Shakyamunison
See, luck does exist. In this case it's bad cause he's in here, but it does exist nonetheless.

But seriously buzz off, I don't want to risk having your stupidity rub off or infect anyone in here that may be vulnerable, D.H.

That is not adequate proof that luck exists. You have not supported your claim beyond a belief.

SpearofDestiny
To me, Luck is recognition of fortune.

Something turning out well may seem like a moment of chance, but I think in actuality, the desired effect occured due to a previous cause. The opposite effect could not occur, because the prior cause was non existant.

But if it makes you happy to beleive in Luck, that's your choice.

I just don't understand how you think it works. Does luck discriminate ? why are some people "lucky" and other's, aren't ?

Bardock42
Originally posted by SpearofDestiny
There's no need for that. Why stoop to his level ? erm It's funny?

I actually think it was probably better than any joke you ever made. Michael Jackson and racism. In one. It's genius.

But seriously buzz off, I don't want to risk having your stupidity rub off or infect anyone in here that may be vulnerable, D.H. The word does exist. And it does explain certain phenomenons, is that what you mean? Or do you mean that there is such a thing as luck that makes things happen? A force, so to speak?

Shakyamunison
... The word does exist. And it does explain certain phenomenons, is that what you mean? Or do you mean that there is such a thing as luck that makes things happen? A force, so to speak?

It seems he is talking about a force that can be manipulated.

...One person said that the harder or smarter he worked the luckier he got...

Bardock42
It seems he is talking about a force that can be manipulated. That is not conclusive proof that he is talking about that at all. In fact I would rather quote that as evidence that he means the kind of luck I am talking about.

Shakyamunison
That is not conclusive proof that he is talking about that at all. In fact I would rather quote that as evidence that he means the kind of luck I am talking about.

You can't get conclusive proof about what FistOfThe North is ever talking about, so I assumed the standard was very low. wink

SpearofDestiny

Bardock42
Britney Spears was kinda hot.

SpearofDestiny
She was

WrathfulDwarf
Everytime I'm in Las Vegas....I try to kiss Lady Luck on the lips.

*rolls dice*

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Everytime I'm in Las Vegas....I try to kiss Lady Luck on the lips.

*rolls dice*

And does she ever spit in your face? cool

WrathfulDwarf
And does she ever spit in your face? cool

Only when I don't lover her enough.

B.A
You make your own lucky. Literally.

Example, if you walked along the street, slipped on a banana and found 5 pounds, is that luck? No because someone made the decision to drop the banana. Someone dropped the money because he wasn't paying attention maybe.

Luck? Not real luck just choices that benefit you.

Adam_PoE

Co-signed. thumb up

Bardock42
I don't believe in luck. The universe operates through cause and effect. Luck is a word humans use to describe patterns in causality that are at best arbitrary. It is like looking at a wall and seeing faces. You may see faces, but they are not there. Then you don't believe in free will, I take it.

Shakyamunison
Then you don't believe in free will, I take it.

Just what do you mean by free will?

SpearofDestiny
Then you don't believe in free will, I take it.

Free Will isn't entirely free. It is determined by three other factors:

1) Desire
2) Necessity
3) Influence

Ultamately, you may be able to change or condition desire and influence to your choosing, but you can't alter necessity. You eat and drink because you have too.

inimalist
Free Will: We both have it and are unable to have it.

cause and effect (I reffer to these as ONLY the result of the energy put into the universe at the big bang) should mean that every atom is pre-determined in its course of action. I generally support this.

However, given how our brains process information and create our narrative of the world around us, we do appear to have free will. Each person acts and thinks as though they have conscious control of their bodies. So in that way it exists, although "conscious control" is a very limited and ambigious term.

dadudemon
Calling things luck is a way of saying that you don't understand probabilities.

Bardock42
Free Will isn't entirely free. It is determined by three other factors:

1) Desire
2) Necessity
3) Influence

Ultamately, you may be able to change or condition desire and influence to your choosing, but you can't alter necessity. You eat and drink because you have too. How. What is this "you" you are talking about anyways?

Just what do you mean by free will? The ability to change something out of the otherwise static cause and effect line.

Shakyamunison
How. What is this "you" you are talking about anyways?

The ability to change something out of the otherwise static cause and effect line.

There are two types of Karma (cause and effect) malleable and non-malleable. The non-malleable cannot be changed, but the malleable type can be changed.

Example:

Malleable: I think about picking an apple from a tree.

Non-malleable: I pick an apple from a tree.

Bardock42
There are two types of Karma (cause and effect) malleable and non-malleable. The non-malleable cannot be changed, but the malleable type can be changed.

Example:

Malleable: I think about picking an apple from a tree.

Non-malleable: I pick an apple from a tree. So, can you decide to pick an apple from a tree and actually do it while you also could have not picked the apple from the tree?

Shakyamunison
So, can you decide to pick an apple from a tree and actually do it while you also could have not picked the apple from the tree?

blink

I don't think so, but try it, and let me know if it worked.

Bardock42
blink

I don't think so, but try it, and let me know if it worked. Can I actually choose to try?

Shakyamunison
Can I actually choose to try?

Yes, you can choose to try, but doing is another thing all together.

Is there both a live and dead cat in the box? Once you open it, there will only be one or the other.

Bardock42
Yes, you can choose to try, but doing is another thing all together.

Is there both a live and dead cat in the box? Once you open it, there will only be one or the other. Explain the first thing.

Shakyamunison
Explain the first thing.

I could choose to walk through a solid wall, but if I do it, I will most likely not succeed.

Bardock42
I could choose to walk through a solid wall, but if I do it, I will most likely not succeed. So you think people have a choice. And the power to change some things (of course limited)

Shakyamunison
So you think people have a choice. And the power to change some things (of course limited)

It all depends, but generally that is how I feel.

leonheartmm
A simple and common misunderstanding.

Buddhist Karma is not like Hindu or "Christian" Karma. Karma is a trail of cause and effect, and can be changed at any time. One little thought will lead to a little action which will lead to another thought which will lead to another greater action, which will cause a chain reaction of thoughts, emotions, and actions, all resulting from the prior thought, emotion, or action.

While Hindus beleive your karma in one lifetime is fixed, and that another lifetime is required to improve karma, Buddhists beleive you can change your karma any time in your life.

If you aim to hurt someone, you are putting out negativity which will become something worse, depending on your next series of choices.

but then, why call it karma? physical cause and affect are obviously the most verifyable realities. but, karma, atleast partially shud have to do with "the law of attraction" as you put it. YOU can change YOUR state by the actions you take. i.e. YOU can do sumthing to atleast partially create your fate. but assume, you slip over a banana peal and due to the shock your spine expiriences, are paralysed from the legs down, for the rest of your life.

now, it is true, that sum1{other than you} threw that banana peal. and it is also true that you were the one who chose to walk that path{unknowing}. what i dont understand is how anything YOU physically did, caused that banana peal to be there and how any decision YOU physically made increased your likelyhood of walking over it{given that YOU as an entity did not know it was there, nor is it statistically proven that that banana peals are usually found in the path you chose}.

furthermore, you didnt have any more probability of walking over it than a person who has done things very differently than you in his life. the same way that we see that there is no identiifying features of people whom bad incidence/bad luck seems to target.

even the inward flowing law of attraction points to some kind of improbable symmetry/mystical force which depending on YOUR actions to judge YOUR fate. otherwise, karma would stop being anything different or more significant than disconnected/non uniform cause-affect which doesnt have to be fair or can be manipulated at all to "better" your life etc. the "outward flowing" ones ofcourse clearly points towards you being able to illogically change the enviornment{be it physically improbable coincidences/manipulating probability or mystically influencing the world}.

dont either one of the concepts, as you see it, require physical improbability/underlying symmetry/mystical influence?

lord xyz

So shoo. Scram, Timberland. Great debating tactic. Instead of addressing the point, attack/question the debator's intelligence...badly.

...nonedown

Quark_666
Originally posted by lord xyz
Great debating tactic. Instead of addressing the point, attack/question the debator's intelligence...badly.

...nonedown

FistOfThe North always has great debating tactics...

KingTech
I think this is a coincidence no one control the luck.Some time it happens that we can not get the desired goal by working correctly with all our skills.

lord xyz
I think it's to do with Karma like Shakya says. The whole cause and effect thing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.