Chris Kent pulling a Hulk

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kutulu
Grabbing energy for the win. DC's ripping off the Hulk now. "ATTUM SMASH MONARCH!" gotta love the blatant rip there.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/SonicKMC/CountdownArena03p17.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/SonicKMC/CountdownArena03p18.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/SonicKMC/CountdownArena03p40.jpg

Darth Vicious
The whole grabbing of the x-rays is plain ridiculous.

endrict
Ripping of the Hulk? laughing laughing Let me guess...WWH?

Kutulu
Originally posted by endrict
Ripping of the Hulk? laughing laughing Let me guess...WWH?

Ripping by having a huge muscular guy going "ATTUM SMASH MONARCH!"

Looks like DC's version of the Hulk, and cosmic powered no less (like when Hulk was giving off radiation during WWH 5).

Symmetric Chaos
I doubt they're ripping off the Hulk. Not many people even realize that Hulk has feats that involved grabbing energy (besides I've never seen ones on that level)

Attum is funny though.

Dick Grayson
It's not a rip off, it's a homage guys. I also love the way an allusion is made to pre-crisis type power sets returning for Kryptonians. thumb up

Val
Looks like a CA/Hulk amalgam. Hopefully it doesn't turn out as lame as it sounds.

Kutulu
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I doubt they're ripping off the Hulk. Not many people even realize that Hulk has feats that involved grabbing energy (besides I've never seen ones on that level)

Well that's definitely taking the Hulk grabbing energy to a whole new level, Hulk has grabbed energy before plenty of times, but using it to pull on someone like a rope seems a little overboard.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Kutulu
Well that's definitely taking the Hulk grabbing energy to a whole new level, Hulk has grabbed energy before plenty of times, but using it to pull on someone like a rope seems a little overboard.

Especially since Superman's HV is supposed to by specialized TK isn't it?

Dick Grayson
TK is psionic. I suspect physical psionic interaction, ala tactile tk. shifty

Deathstroke
I liked the appearance of silver age Captain Atom.

Val
Originally posted by Deathstroke
I don't.

I can already see people making a big deal over Monarch beating a Pre Crisis hero. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dick Grayson
Originally posted by Deathstroke

As do I, as well as Wildstorm/Kingdom Come CA.

Kutulu
Originally posted by Val
I don't.

I can already see people making a big deal over Monarch beating a Pre Crisis hero. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Pre Crisis heroes were smart:
http://www.superdickery.com/images/oneshot/1007supermathematics1iw.jpg
(20 x 16 x 10 = 3,200 btw)

Deathstroke
Originally posted by Val
I don't.

Maybe the Captain Atoms will win. shifty

willRules
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
The whole grabbing of the x-rays is plain ridiculous.

But having x-ray/heat vision, freeze breath etc etc isn't? confused

Capt Spaulding

This scan just boggles my mind....

Superherovandal
(20 x 16 x 10 = 3,200 btw) shouldn't that be 20 x 16 x 12. Superman's super-math super-sucks.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Superherovandal
shouldn't that be 20 x 16 x 12. Superman's super-math super-sucks.

laughing laughing laughing

NiņoAraņa
shouldn't that be 20 x 16 x 12. Superman's super-math super-sucks. ermmnone

King_Mungi
Meh! No one remembers Blockbuster? Even the recent Blockbuster III was pretty much an exact copy of the Hulk.

Ptr_Grifin

He deducted 2 lbs for the jar, saying the amount of beans weighs 10 lbs?

Kutulu
superdur

Juntai
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Meh! No one remembers Blockbuster? Even the recent Blockbuster III was pretty much an exact copy of the Hulk. And it all started with GRUNDY.

Bad Ash231
Originally posted by Juntai
And it all started with GRUNDY.

Muahaha.

Kutulu
Originally posted by Capt Spaulding
This scan just boggles my mind....

Arena seems to have been a mixed bag for me, I like what they're doing in parts, but the art seems -eh- not that great in parts (although I love how they drew the energy in that scan).

Rorschach
I don't see how any of those pictures, have anything to do with Countdown Arena or Chris Kent. ermmnone

Kutulu
Originally posted by Rorschach
I don't see how any of those pictures, have anything to do with Countdown Arena or Chris Kent. ermmnone

They are scans from Arena #3... Earth-15 Chris Kent is the one grabbing the x-ray vision attacks.

Rorschach
Clear your cache. shifty

Kutulu
Clear your cache. shifty

DOH! You got me! laughing furious

I got owned. cryfox2

Entity
Really?

I wish to know more about this Earth 15 Superman!
He looks like a cross between Conner and Doomsday. And his different understanding of his abilities fascinates me.

After all it can't be anymore horseshit that all normal supes other stuff.
Seriously doubt after that last scan with him and Monarch that I ever will thou. sad

Just like DC always destroying the only interesting versions of Supes I find.

Citizen V
Looks more of a cross between Conner and Eradicator.

Val
Actually it just looks like Eradicator.

Citizen V
Grabbing energy for the win. DC's ripping off the Hulk now. "ATTUM SMASH MONARCH!" gotta love the blatant rip there.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/SonicKMC/CountdownArena03p17.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb158/SonicKMC/CountdownArena03p18.jpg

Lulz.

Symmetric Chaos
Erm wut?

Rorschach
Erm wut?

Clear your cache. shifty

King_Mungi
And it all started with GRUNDY.

"Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday"

Grundy is the man smile

roughrider
"Solomon Grundy, born on a Monday"

Grundy is the man smile

Love him in the Justice League cartoon.

"SNAKE FACE GIVE GRUNDY BACK HIS SOUL, OR GRUNDY CRUSH!!!" cool

grey fox
Dammit , Fox need downloadz sad

Dick Grayson
Solomon Grundy is not a copy of the Hulk his first appearance predates the Hulk by 20 years.

llagrok
Meh! No one remembers Blockbuster? Even the recent Blockbuster III was pretty much an exact copy of the Hulk.

The guy who broke Thor's arm during the mutant massacre? After Hela's curse?

Accel
Originally posted by llagrok
The Nightwing villain.

grey fox
I read a few solicits and some spoilers. So far I'm not overtly impressed, all the awesome characters are ignored for the bullshit ones.

Ie : Vampire Batman. He should have won easily , instead he gets staked and we get Vamp-Bats Lite.

Though I am pleasantly surprised the 'evil' Superman is DKR supes, I thought he was the annoying bastard from Batman/Superman's stupid 'Lighting Lord and his pals raise the big 2 t0 be evil !!!' arc.

NiņoAraņa
confused

I thought Vamp Bats won?

grey fox

Nod
Bats with knifes were KOed I believe by Goggles.

Vamp Bat bit goggles and vamp won. But goggles got turned into a vampire and broke free by killing the guards I think.

King_Mungi
Originally posted by llagrok

No, he's a villian of the JLA , Nightwing , and Infinity Inc.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by grey fox
Really ? I read Vamp Bats killed Victorian Bruce and then turned WW2 Bats before dieing.

hysterical

King_Mungi
Really ? I read Vamp Bats killed Victorian Bruce and then turned WW2 Bats before dieing.

No, Victorian Batman is still alive as he was knocked out by Liberty Files Batman and is currently in a prison with Apollo. So after LF Batman knocked V.Batman out, Vampire Batman killed LF Batman, thus winning the battle. However, later Liberty Files Batman rises from the dead and he too is now a vampire and is helping to stop Monarch.

Vampire Batman is still alive and hasn't been defeated yet.

In Countdown they messed up and killed V.Batman, and put LB Batman in prison with Apollo. Which is wrong

Citizen V
Didn't Apollo turn out to be an alternate universe Ray? erm

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Citizen V
Didn't Apollo turn out to be an alternate universe Ray? erm

Yes.

Citizen V
Yes.

*MOANS*

I knew I didn't pick up this book for a reason.

grey fox
No, Victorian Batman is still alive as he was knocked out by Liberty Files Batman and is currently in a prison with Apollo. So after LF Batman knocked V.Batman out, Vampire Batman killed LF Batman, thus winning the battle. However, later Liberty Files Batman rises from the dead and he too is now a vampire and is helping to stop Monarch.

Vampire Batman is still alive and hasn't been defeated yet.

In Countdown they messed up and killed V.Batman, and put LB Batman in prison with Apollo. Which is wrong

Ahhhh , Wiki ****ed up then. Either that or I didn't read it carefully enough.Originally posted by Citizen V
*MOANS*

I knew I didn't pick up this book for a reason.

They wanted him to be Superman , but since their is already a f*ck-ton of 'em in Wildstorm they just grouped Apollo in due to his Light powers.

Scoobless
(20 x 16 x 10 = 3,200 btw)

No, he's discounting 2 lbs for the jar

stick out tongue

He's still wrong ... you must know how he feels.

big grin

Bad Ash231

Why does practically every DC character have black hair?

Citizen V
Because practically every Marvel character has blonde hair.

Bad Ash231
Originally posted by Citizen V
Because practically every Marvel character has blonde hair.

srsly?

Citizen V
srsly.

Val
They wanted him to be Superman , but since their is already a f*ck-ton of 'em in Wildstorm they just grouped Apollo in due to his Light powers.
Obviously Majestic is Superman but wouldn't the clear solution for Apollo be to make him another one of the Kryptonians/Daxamites running around the DCU?

If they wanted to force a DCU connection, he could have been Mon-El.

Nod
That would have made sense.

grey fox
Originally posted by Val
Obviously Majestic is Superman but wouldn't the clear solution for Apollo be to make him another one of the Kryptonians/Daxamites running around the DCU?

If they wanted to force a DCU connection, he could have been Mon-El.

Thing is though they needed to fill a Wildstorm quota...or the writer just liked Apollo. Needless to say Monarch is only going for people who were on the JLA and Mon-El is mostly known for his LOS stuff.

Swarm!Blue Beetle is hilariously awesome.

The art is still squiffy though , Goggle Batman looked as if he was flinching when he threw the cyanide capsule into Vamp Bats mouth.

I know have the biggest urge to read a 'Marvel :Arena'.

T'would be awesome.

Kutulu
Thing is though they needed to fill a Wildstorm quota...or the writer just liked Apollo. Needless to say Monarch is only going for people who were on the JLA and Mon-El is mostly known for his LOS stuff.

Swarm!Blue Beetle is hilariously awesome.

The art is still squiffy though , Goggle Batman looked as if he was flinching when he threw the cyanide capsule into Vamp Bats mouth.

I know have the biggest urge to read a 'Marvel :Arena'.

T'would be awesome.

There already is a Marvel Arena, it's called "World War Hulk".

Rorschach

And Contest of Champions I & 2.

NiņoAraņa
There already is a Marvel Arena, it's called "World War Hulk". no. no expressionOriginally posted by Rorschach
And Contest of Champions I & 2. i've never read those sad

grey fox

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Kutulu
roll eyes (sarcastic)
herbdance

Juntai
Originally posted by Val

If they wanted to force a DCU connection, he could have been Mon-El. He should have been Kara

Val
He should have been Kara
laughing out loud

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by Val
laughing out loud

LOL
Judging by your new avatar, the countdown to February has already started?

Juntai
Originally posted by Val
laughing out loud girly hair, likes men, hormonal

Val
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
LOL
yes
girly hair, likes men, hormonal
Does that make Midnighter Power Boy or Boomerang Jr?

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by Val
yes

Does that make Midnighter Power Boy or Boomerang Jr?

BTW, do you want to look at the retard who believes Wolverine or Spiderman can PWN Dante for majority? It's amusingsmile

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=473140&pagenumber=5#post9976425

And of course Kain is a Living Tribunal level in the opinion of that fanboy.
Though judging by some stuff announced for Dante in the 4th game, there would be a few new impressive powers in his arsenal and hopefully it'll keep haters in bay for a while and don't spawn hardcoreheads like lionheartmm who are praying on Dante.

Val
Games Vs makes me cry. cry

Charlotte DeBel
Originally posted by Val
Games Vs makes me cry. cry

I run away from there and from Kaintards\Cloudtards who are getting as bad as Stormtards.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=464182
Enjoy Dante RT at least (it got updated recently with new stuff).
And true devils never crywink

Rorschach
BTW, do you want to look at the retard who believes Wolverine or Spiderman can PWN Dante for majority? It's amusingsmile

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=473140&pagenumber=5#post9976425

And of course Kain is a Living Tribunal level in the opinion of that fanboy.
Though judging by some stuff announced for Dante in the 4th game, there would be a few new impressive powers in his arsenal and hopefully it'll keep haters in bay for a while and don't spawn hardcoreheads like lionheartmm who are praying on Dante.

Did that other dude just say that Carnage wasn't a one-dimensional character? no expression

Charlotte DeBel
Did that other dude just say that Carnage wasn't a one-dimensional character? no expression

Blaxican is...strange guy.

Rorschach
Yeah, the Games Versus board is full of idiots.

Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Fvck Superman. Wolverine can beat him.

ermmnone

UniOmni
LOL

I know.

Febuary 2008......the world is gonna be SMASHED TO PIECES IN A HUGE BRAWL OF EPIC PROPORTIONS!!! BEYOND A MELEE!!

Ninja Gaiden>DMC>God of War

Val
Can a guy love all 3? cry

UniOmni
Sure if you can admit that you love them but there are inferior products in the mix, ala the combat action of GOW, in comparison to either of the former two.

It's like saying someone likes both Fire Emblem and Disgaea for the strategy they offer.

Fire Emblem offers strategy, while Disgaea offers customization glut.

Both can be enjoyed, but one is clearly an inferior product.

Val
Each of the 3 is trying to do something different in regards to combat. It's more about preference than superiority.

Juntai
Originally posted by Val

Does that make Midnighter Power Boy or Boomerang Jr? Isn't it obvious?

Nightwing.

Apollo likes Dick.

NiņoAraņa
Isn't it obvious?

Nightwing.

Apollo likes Dick. 131

UniOmni
Originally posted by Val
Each of the 3 is trying to do something different in regards to combat. It's more about preference than superiority.

GTFO with that everyone is a winner crap.

God of War combat is buttonmashy, and qte riddled. It loses because of that.

DMC is a huge cut above, in regards to preference, and the ability to affect which style you wish to adopt.

Ninja Gaiden is either equal, or slightly superior in regards to pure reflex and hack slash, block, roll, keep in constant motion to avoid losing life.

God of War simply can't compare to either DMC or NG in combat.

Hell, the only notable game in recent memory it beats for combat mechanics is Heavenly Sword, which isn't a laudable feat.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by UniOmni

DMC is a huge cut above, in regards to preference, and the ability to affect which style you wish to adopt.

Ninja Gaiden is either equal, or slightly superior in regards to pure reflex and hack slash, block, roll, keep in constant motion to avoid losing life.

Hell, the only notable game in recent memory it beats for combat mechanics is Heavenly Sword, which isn't a laudable feat.

You're comically narrow minded, but I'll humor you anyway.

There are people that sit down and derive far more pleasure from hack-n-slash than they ever could from DMC or NG. I happen to get home, sit down, turn on god mode in HL2 and just kill things and take their stuff to relax.

When I'm in the mood to play a bit more intellectually I play something different. The sheer complexity or even the amount of thought put into a game doesn't say anything about if it is a good game or not. The only thing that speaks to if a game is good is if the player enjoys it.

I know this might shatter your fragile ego but it is possible to be different from you and not be wrong.

UniOmni
You're comically narrow minded, but I'll humor you anyway.

There are people that sit down and derive far more pleasure from hack-n-slash than they ever could from DMC or NG. I happen to get home, sit down, turn on god mode in HL2 and just kill things and take their stuff to relax.

When I'm in the mood to play a bit more intellectually I play something different. The sheer complexity or even the amount of thought put into a game doesn't say anything about if it is a good game or not. The only thing that speaks to if a game is good is if the player enjoys it.

I know this might shatter your fragile ego but it is possible to be different from you and not be wrong.

Notice i never said GOW wasn't a good game.

I only said that when it comes to the combat mechanics, it lacks significantly when put next to the real combat games of DMC or NG.

And just because people can derive enjoyment from something, be it game or cd or any form of entertainment, does not mean it's a good product.
There's a guy on youtube who has put 500+ hours into Bubsy 3d.
The purchase of the game has been worthwhile to him, since he's garnered such enjoyment from it, but that doesn't mean that Bubsy 3d is a good game, at all.

Fragile ego? No.

Someone who can look at game design, and see a flaw? Surely.

Accessible does not necessarily mean good.

Take a strategy game for instance.

Disgaea games are some of the most bloated, exploit rewarding games out there, and it's got off the wall humor and pretty much just is a great game to play, once.

But in the realm of actual strategy games, it lacks in the opinion me, and numerous others.

Fire Emblem/Tactics Ogre are the tops of the console strategy genre. Why?
Because they actually force you to use strategy when it comes right down to it.

God of War isn't a bad game by any means. High production values, great va and beautiful envoirments.

But when you come down to the meat of the game itself, it doesn't stand tall next to DMC or NG.

People can differ in opinion.

But sometimes you gotta call it as you see it.

Val

Lulz. This is a prime example of why I no longer posts on any video game message boards.

UniOmni
Explain

Val
Already did.

UniOmni
Elaborate then, if you will.

Oh, it's the nitpicky anal nature of the vgfan?

Val
Elaborate then, if you will.

Oh, it's the nitpicky anal nature of the vgfan?
Their inability to understand that their own preferences aren't the law of the universe.

That and I have no interest in discussing the highs and lows of video game hardware manufacturers. Seriously, how can anyone have such a vested interest in that crap? laughing out loud

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Val
Their inability to understand that their own preferences aren't the law of the universe.

We should really apply that to the vs. forum.

UniOmni
Originally posted by Val

That and I have no interest in discussing the highs and lows of video game hardware manufacturers. Seriously, how can anyone have such a vested interest in that crap? laughing out loud

Oh.

I can agree with your first point, which i've been guilty of before.

To the second.

I don't understand how someone can't have somewhat of interest in that side of videogames, to be honest.

I love Nintendo games. Always have, always will.

To see the company do poorly, is to run the risk of them not making the games that i love anymore. So i've got a vested interest in that side of the medium, since i love their output.

Same goes for other manufacturers.

Sony going out of business means i lose my Ico/SOTC(epic games) GT(racing games) and other first party titles.

Sure, other companies and ips will spring up, but i don't want to lose the games i grew up loving in the process.

So i can't fathom someone not having a care.

Capcom produced Okami, which was a title from an internal team of Clover. Okami bombed, Clover disbanded.

Imagine you lose your DMC, and Uncharted(which will probably happen if it doesn't become a mega hit, since it costs so much to develop).

Have a care, else vg will merely be yearly installments of the EA milking.

Val
There's caring about sales because it's means more of your favorites and there's caring about sales so you can throw the numbers in someone's face.

You and I both know which is more common.

UniOmni
Crow must be served to the people who laughed at you before.

Nintendo fanboys were delusionally desparate last generation, and now the Sony fanboys are in that position.

Not to mention the arrogance of the company itself....DS isn't competition. Handheld ghetto..etc.

Only to end up raping the PSP in sales and software.

People love to see a giant fall Val.

Val
That doesn't mean it's less annoying to read.

And handheld gaming is still a ghetto.

UniOmni
True to the first point.

Wrong to the second.

King_Mungi
No, he's a villian of the JLA , Nightwing , and Infinity Inc.

Blockbuster SMASH!

1. http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/MachineMan616/SSOSV16-12.jpg
2. http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/MachineMan616/SSOSV16-13a.jpg
3. http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/MachineMan616/SSOSV16-14.jpg

shifty

Mr. Slippyfist
How long ago was that?

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Mr. Slippyfist
How long ago was that?

That issue was from the 1970's, but Blockbuster first appeared in 1965

Mr. Slippyfist
That issue was from the 1970's, but Blockbuster first appeared in 1965 When did Hulk first appear?

King_Mungi
When did Hulk first appear?

1962, so three years before Blockbuster

Mr. Slippyfist
1962, so three years before Blockbuster ****!!

So much for Hulk not being original...

King_Mungi
****!!

So much for Hulk not being original...

Solomon Grundy came out in 1944 though shifty

Mr. Slippyfist
Solomon Grundy came out in 1944 though shifty YES!

Hulk is a cheesy rip off.

roughrider
YES!

Hulk is a cheesy rip off.

Solomon Grundy & Hulk are a bit alike, but Hulk is inspired just as much by Frankenstein & Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. Grundy would become more Hulk-like in his behaviour after Hulk's popularity started rising; check out the 1970's Superfriends TV series.

King_Mungi
Just glad I can bring joy to those who need it. I'm like Santa, but with a criminal record for things I should have been executed for.

Nod
Just glad I can bring joy to those who need it. I'm like Santa, but with a criminal record for things I should have been executed for. Your Canadian, everyone should be executed there.

roughrider
Originally posted by Nod
Your Canadian, everyone should be executed there.

Because as long as Canadians live, America is threatened right? evil face

That's what Thomas Jefferson said prior to America invading Canada during the War Of 1812.

(It didn't work out - we're still here. stick out tongue )

Entity
ztKdSBg2_c0

stick out tongue jk

King_Mungi
Originally posted by roughrider
Because as long as Canadians live, America is threatened right? evil face

That's what Thomas Jefferson said prior to America invading Canada during the War Of 1812.

(It didn't work out - we're still here. stick out tongue )

Good old Canadians even burned down part of the White House wink

Soljer
Good old Canadians even burned down part of the White House wink

That's actually a very common misconception - it was the British that actually razed Washington.

King_Mungi
Originally posted by Soljer
That's actually a very common misconception - it was the British that actually razed Washington.

No it was Canadians, but we were considered British at the time as Canadians were not refered to as Canadians then.

roughrider

It was British & Canadian troops together. Brits who had settled in Canada for a long time eventually became recognized as Canadians.

King_Mungi
It was British & Canadian troops together. Brits who had settled in Canada for a long time eventually became recognized as Canadians.

*Nods*

Soljer
No it was Canadians, but we were considered British at the time as Canadians were not refered to as Canadians then.

Being a British colony hardly makes you British. The troops that burned the white house were British, not Canadian - it's kind of hard to know what else to say when you're trying to dispute historical fact. erm.

King_Mungi
Being a British colony hardly makes you British. The troops that burned the white house were British, not Canadian - it's kind of hard to know what else to say when you're trying to dispute historical fact. erm.

Except that's what they were refered to as though erm Even in WW1 Canadian soliders were often refered to as British soliders even then sooooo *shrugs*

Uh huh...even in my 20th Century history book says it was Canadians erm

Soljer

Uh huh...even in my 20th Century history book says it was Canadians erm

Indeed, as I mentioned it's a very common misconception that was actually taught in most schools for much of the past. It's only (relatively) recently that it's been dispelled.

King_Mungi
Indeed, as I mentioned it's a very common misconception that was actually taught in most schools for much of the past. It's only (relatively) recently that it's been dispelled.

The class I took was actually just last year erm

Where was this dispelled?

Soljer

King_Mungi

I don't see anything sad

Soljer
The class I took was actually just last year erm

Where was this dispelled?

As to exactly where, I cannot be certain - I'm merely parroting the words of a friend I have at my Uni.

But the facts of the matter remain that it was Robert Ross, a British Officer, leading British Troops down to Washington. It was Ross who gave the order to raze the government buildings. It was the British who set fire to Washington.

King_Mungi
As to exactly where, I cannot be certain - I'm merely parroting the words of a friend I have at my Uni.

But the facts of the matter remain that it was Robert Ross, a British Officer, leading British Troops down to Washington. It was Ross who gave the order to raze the government buildings. It was the British who set fire to Washington.

Which is funny as I have taken University and College classes and they say it was Canada . So I'm a tad suspect, as what roughrider is word for word from the text.

He also marched through Halifax and picked up Canadian soliders and was also apparently orchestrated with the assistance of General Sir George Prevost . Even majority of the British Royal Marines who attacked the White House were stationed in Canada itself *shrugs*

Soljer
*returns your shrug* It's not my field, but (and absolutely no offense meant), I think I'm going to trust the word of a published PhD candidate over a random poster on a comic book message board.

Not that I don't think you're intelligent, just that I can't be sure of your biases or level of expertise on the subject, though I can be absolutely certain of his.

King_Mungi
*returns your shrug* It's not my field, but (and absolutely no offense meant), I think I'm going to trust the word of a published PhD candidate over a random poster on a comic book message board.

Not that I don't think you're intelligent, just that I can't be sure of your biases or level of expertise on the subject, though I can be absolutely certain of his.

I'm getting the information from texts written by Ph.D.s so *shrugs*

Well like I said Canada wasn't a country yet and many of the settlers still fought under the British Flag. That even continued right through World War I as majority of the Canadian soliders were merged with British platoons until later. For example the Battle of Somme is one of Canadian's key WWI battles and often times they merely refered to as British soliders. Another example the Battle of Ypres where Canadians are the first to experience chlorine gas in a war, but they stayed and fought and held the line . Yet often times are refered to as part of the British Expeditionary Force. Hell, Canada didn't get their Canadian flag untill 1965. Canada used the union jack as the national flag from 1801-1865

Soljer
I'm getting the information from texts written by Ph.D.s so *shrugs*

Past tense.

Well like I said Canada wasn't a country yet and many of the settlers still fought under the British Flag. That even continued right through World War I as majority of the Canadian soliders were merged with British platoons until later. For example the Battle of Somme is one of Canadian's key WWI battles and often times they merely refered to as British soliders. Another example the Battle of Ypres where Canadians are the first to experience chlorine gas in a war, but they stayed and fought and held the line . Yet often times are refered to as part of the British Expeditionary Force. Hell, Canada didn't get their Canadian flag untill 1965. Canada used the union jack as the national flag from 1801-1865

None of which has anything to do with the war of 1812.

King_Mungi
Past tense.

None of which has anything to do with the war of 1812.

Yeah as in last year

Errrr? Actually it does.

Soljer
Yeah, past tense. smile.

So, what happened in World War I is pertinent to the war that took place a hundred years prior?

King_Mungi
Yeah, past tense. smile.

So, what happened in World War I is pertinent to the war that took place a hundred years prior?

and when was your readings published then?

In the context I was addressing...yes. As there was no Canada at this time, it basically was one big British colony and considered as such even till WWI. So basically the British that attacked the white house had Canadians, but were still called British soliders just like in WW1 even though they were a seperate entity. Then those same british soliders remained in Canada until the nations confederation and thus eventually becoming a unified Canada. There were "Canadians" and British soliders that attacked the white house, but they fought under the Union Jack which even at this time Canada still used.

roughrider
Lots of hairsplitting going on here, what with who was Canadian & who was British...
The point is - America was angered by the British Navy attacking & taking their merchant ships headed to France (whom England was currently at war with) and decided to retaliate by wiping out for good the English threat to the North, Canada. People like Jefferson were convinced America couldn't be secure with a threat like that right next door ( sound to anyone like Cuba, a century plus later? No wonder we're friendly with Castro & company. big grin )
The War Of 1812 was one of four attempts America made to take over the North Country - and each time they came home empty handed. OUCH! stick out tongue

But don't try telling that to some American historians & politicians. Because it seems America doesn't lose wars. The War Of 1812 & Vietnam were ties, apparently. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Soljer
and when was your readings published then?

In the context I was addressing...yes. As there was no Canada at this time, it basically was one big British colony and considered as such even till WWI. So basically the British that attacked the white house had Canadians, but were still called British soliders just like in WW1 even though they were a seperate entity. Then those same british soliders remained in Canada until the nations confederation and thus eventually becoming a unified Canada. There were "Canadians" and British soliders that attacked the white house, but they fought under the Union Jack which even at this time Canada still used.

I told you, my information was coming from a PhD candidate I have spoken with at length about British History.

You can make whichever claims you please, but it doesn't change the fact that it was British soldiers led by a British commander that sacked Washington. erm. Anyways, I'm done with this, the misconception is a notion so strongly held to by some, I doubt it'll ever be entirely corrected. Some just can't seem to bear to be wrong, or to lose some insignificant 'trump card' concerning two-hundred-year-old history.

King_Mungi
I told you, my information was coming from a PhD candidate I have spoken with at length about British History.

You can make whichever claims you please, but it doesn't change the fact that it was British soldiers led by a British commander that sacked Washington. erm. Anyways, I'm done with this, the misconception is a notion so strongly held to by some, I doubt it'll ever be entirely corrected. Some just can't seem to bear to be wrong, or to lose some insignificant 'trump card' concerning two-hundred-year-old history.

Candidate? As currently studying for his Ph.D. shifty Meh! not like it matters, as all I asked was when?

Not claims their facts erm and even you yourself don't fully know as your relying on someone else *shrugs*. Haha what? Why are you getting so aggitated? It's called a debate, and we provide evidence to support our points which both of us have done. Do I care really in the long run? Not really. Hell, in many other threads I'm the guy who usually gets the ball rolling on jokes about Canada. Besides in the end Canada has actually far greater military achievements then this . Thought we were having an intelligent debate, which is rare on these boards erm

Lots of hairsplitting going on here, what with who was Canadian & who was British...
The point is - America was angered by the British Navy attacking & taking their merchant ships headed to France (whom England was currently at war with) and decided to retaliate by wiping out for good the English threat to the North, Canada. People like Jefferson were convinced America couldn't be secure with a threat like that right next door ( sound to anyone like Cuba, a century plus later? No wonder we're friendly with Castro & company. big grin )
The War Of 1812 was one of four attempts America made to take over the North Country - and each time they came home empty handed. OUCH! stick out tongue

Spot on, but I think one of Canada's greatest moments in battle was Vimmy Ridge. I love the story behind that.

roughrider

Spot on, but I think one of Canada's greatest moments in battle was Vimmy Ridge. I love the story behind that.

Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele were our top two achievements in the First World War, sure. Paul Gross will have a big-budget movie about Passchendaele out next fall. In the Second World War, it was the Battle Of The Scheldt, clearing the Germans out of lower Holland to open up the port of Antwerp.

In 1812, we did kick ass at Queenston Heights along the Niagara River. wink

King_Mungi
Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele were our top two achievements in the First World War, sure. Paul Gross will have a big-budget movie about Passchendaele out next fall. In the Second World War, it was the Battle Of The Scheldt, clearing the Germans out of lower Holland to open up the port of Antwerp.

In 1812, we did kick ass at Queenston Heights along the Niagara River. wink

Really? I had no idea they were making a Passchendaele movie, but Paul Gross? Gonna have flashbacks of the movie "Men with Brooms". Come on..a curling movie? Who is going to be Arthur Currie? Love how Aquaman's human identity was inspired by him.

Even today Canada actually dominates war games to the point where they won't let them take part anymore. However, Canada definetly needs an upgrade in technology as were using out-dated equipment.

roughrider

Even today Canada actually dominates war games to the point where they won't let them take part anymore. However, Canada definetly needs an upgrade in technology as were using out-dated equipment.

Yes. There was a sad joke about Canadian Military Tech showing up on TV's Antiques Roadshow... sad

Those outdated subs we bought from England years ago were a waste, as well as those sea helicopters. But we are respected for our peacekeeping efforts, and we're doing our part in Afghanistan & other places.

King_Mungi
Yes. There was a sad joke about Canadian Military Tech showing up on TV's Antiques Roadshow... sad

Those outdated subs we bought from England years ago were a waste, as well as those sea helicopters. But we are respected for our peacekeeping efforts, and we're doing our part in Afghanistan & other places.

....ouch sad

Those subs and helicopters were so outdated and it cost so much to repair them it would have been cheaper in the long run to buy new ones. Oh definetly, and it seems the government is actually trying to help fix our military to the power it once was.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.