I'm sorry if this thread has been done, but Was Moses on Mushrooms?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

=Tired Hiker=
I heard that the area where Moses lived was bountiful in naturally growing hallucinogenic mushrooms. Could all this 'parting the Red Sea' business have been a mushroom trip?

Shakyamunison
Could have been, but most likely he never existed, and the story was compiled from older stories.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Since it appears to be popular in this forum these days...rather than arguing for Moses existence, im just gonna go ahead and say "well Buddha didnt exist either then did he"

Yes...we don't bother defending our beliefs when questioned anymore...just attack others...or so it seems smile

AngryManatee
If shrooms can make you think that your car is talking to you, and also threatening to kill you if you tell anyone about him talking, then I think They could also send you through a trip that feels like 40 days and 40 nights of great flood.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
Since it appears to be popular in this forum these days...rather than arguing for Moses existence, im just gonna go ahead and say "well Buddha didnt exist either then did he"

Yes...we don't bother defending our beliefs when questioned anymore...just attack others...or so it seems smile

However, there is evidence beyond the writings of Buddha that he did exist. It is doubtful that he wrote the 80,000 sutras as claimed, but that really doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't really matter if Moses was a real person or not. We often get confused between the information within a story and the story. We think that fact and truth walk hand in hand, but that is not true. Even if Buddha did not exist, the teachings do exist.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
However, there is evidence beyond the writings of Buddha that he did exist. It is doubtful that he wrote the 80,000 sutras as claimed, but that really doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't really matter if Moses was a real person or not. We often get confused between the information within a story and the story. We think that fact and truth walk hand in hand, but that is not true. Even if Buddha did not exist, the teachings do exist.

Well, I could respond to that with reasoned debate or observation but instead...il just do the KMC convention.

All the evidence is faked, none of it exists so who cares.

(Obviously I don't believe that but I felt this was the sort of thread where we could all act like idiots)

Shakyamunison
Well, I could respond to that with reasoned debate or observation but instead...il just do the KMC convention.

All the evidence is faked, none of it exists so who cares.

(Obviously I don't believe that but I felt this was the sort of thread where we could all act like idiots)

I don't believe I was acting like an idiot.

If you spend your time trying to prove that Moses or Buddha existed, you will not learn what they had to teach.

Grand_Moff_Gav
No you werent, but I was...its an interesting method of debate...not defending your own beliefs simply attacking others.

Shakyamunison
No you werent, but I was...its an interesting method of debate...not defending your own beliefs simply attacking others.

Again, I don't believe I was attacking anyone belief.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Again, I don't believe I was attacking anyone belief.

You werent, I was smile

Shakyamunison
You werent, I was smile

stick out tongue Stop it...

King Kandy
Moses: That Bush... is TALKING!

Deja~vu
No, he was smokin.. It is the incense of the Temple.

http://www.marijuanalibrary.org/mj-bible.html

Robtard

Good response. Bet he didn't see that coming, the crybaby.

What is scary though, people not on drugs that do believe in magical fairytale stories... parting oceans, walking on water, talking bushes, staves turned into snakes, turning water into wine, withering trees with a thought etc.

The big EH

Yes...we don't bother defending our beliefs when questioned anymore...just attack others...or so it seems smile budha was actually a real dude, he wasn't a god either just a person who was very wise

DigiMark007
Shakya's point, and it's a good one, is that mistaking the history of the stories for the tenor of the stories is a flaw inherited by many people and traditions. Whether or not Buddha existed as it is handed down to us is irrelevant. The message matters. At that point, you don't have to agree with it, but at least the focus is in the right place. On the metaphor, the allegory, the whatever it is....but the meaning of the tales, not whether or not it actually happened.

Same with any religious figure, though unfortunately we in the Western world haven't embraced it as fully.

So I didn't see it as an attack on anyone or anything. Hopefully Gav understood that, because he seemed to become defensive when posed with the possibility that Moses is a fictitious figure.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I heard that the area where Moses lived was bountiful in naturally growing hallucinogenic mushrooms. Could all this 'parting the Red Sea' business have been a mushroom trip?

If it was then The Egyptians got an OD.

lord xyz
Could have been, but most likely he never existed, and the story was compiled from older stories. There are many people who shared the same story as Moses.

In chronological order:

Manou -- India
Minos -- Greece I think, or Middle East
Mises -- Maybe Greece or something
Moses -- Israel/Egypt

Da Pittman
Well my god doesn't exist, well at least until the year 40,000 wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Da Pittman
Well my god doesn't exist, well at least until the year 40,000 wink

...and what does this have to do with mushrooms? laughing out loud

Da Pittman
...and what does this have to do with mushrooms? laughing out loud Because if I do them then I see him before his time. stick out tongue

King Kandy
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
If it was then The Egyptians got an OD.
You can't really OD on mushrooms...

lil bitchiness
no expression

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by King Kandy
You can't really OD on mushrooms...

http://www.drugstraining.co.uk/DrugsInfo/info-magicmushro.html

King Kandy
Oh. My mistake. I assumed you were referring to Psilocybin, not Amanita. Yeah, Amanita can mess you up, it's very poisonous.

Jbill311
remember what happens when you assume-- you make an
Ass out of you and me!! Happy Dance Happy Dance

King Kandy
Actually my statement was 100% correct about Psilocybin. Shakya's own link proves my case. Amanita isn't as common, I had no basis to believe that was what was being referred to.

Shakyamunison
Actually my statement was 100% correct about Psilocybin. Shakya's own link proves my case. Amanita isn't as common, I had no basis to believe that was what was being referred to.

I wasn't correcting you; I was providing information.

King Kandy
Yeah but just look... the number one risk for Psilocybin is eating a different mushroom by mistake. They even admit that there is a VERY low OD risk (if any) in fact Caffeine is easier to OD on the Psilocybin.

Shakyamunison
Yeah but just look... the number one risk for Psilocybin is eating a different mushroom by mistake. They even admit that there is a VERY low OD risk (if any) in fact Caffeine is easier to OD on the Psilocybin.

Do you have any Psilocybin Mushrooms? evil face

King Kandy
None that I could transport via internet. But just come to Oregon, you can't help but run into them. They grow all over the place.

Shakyamunison
None that I could transport via internet. But just come to Oregon, you can't help but run into them. They grow all over the place.

I live in Oregon. laughing

King Kandy
OMG, I didn't see that. Well if that's the case you shouldn't have any trouble at all, lol.

Shakyamunison
OMG, I didn't see that. Well if that's the case you shouldn't have any trouble at all, lol.

I didn't want any, I was teasing you by insinuating that you were on some at the time. laughing It's really funny that you didn't get it. laughing

King Kandy
No shrooms?! Just what kind of Oregonian are you?! mad

Shakyamunison
No shrooms?! Just what kind of Oregonian are you?! mad

laughing evil face Now you know why I didn't need any.

geshien
I paraphrased the following from wiki and answers.com.

John Marco Allegro, was an author of the book The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross, had views that connected many biblical features to cultic use of hallucinogenic mushrooms. these views attracted derision from the scholarly community, proposing that the offering loaves were originally called 'cakes' by ancient botanists, and were 'bun'-shaped caps of the mandrake mushroom, a hallucinogenic drug.

he argued that when these mushrooms were dried and skewered for preservation and that the fungi 'lozenges' were represented by the dehydrated loaves of the 'unleavened bread' in the Israelites' Passover food.

the academic community with the exception of only a handful of scholars, regarded Allegro's claims to be ludicrous, as well as over-sensationalist, thus his career was destroyed as a result.

the book received widespread condemnation and was only taken seriously by a handful of scholars. Prof JND Anderson observed that the book "had been dismissed by ... experts...as not being based on any philological or other evidence that they can regard as scholarly. However, there has been renewed interest in Allegro's work.

Jan Irvin and Andrew Rutajit published the book Astrotheology & Shamanism in 2006, which supported some of Allegro's ideas using iconographic and symbolic evidence that Allegro had overlooked.

in their book, sumerian expert Anna Partington, casts doubt on the broad brushed dismissals of Allegro's interpretations: "... The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross uses a number of hypothetical sumerian words not attested in texts. These are marked with an asterisk following philological convention.

this is akin to proposing there is a word in the english language 'bellbat' because the individual words 'bell' and 'bat' are known to exist separately. then again words of different languages are gathered together without the type of argument which would be expected in order to demonstrate possible relationship.

In May of 2006, Michael Hoffman of egodeath.com and Jan Irvin wrote an article for The Journal of Higher Criticism entitled Wasson and Allegro on the tree of knowledge as Amanita that suggested that Allegro's work should be evaluated on its merits like that of any other scholar and not dismissed merely because its arguments fall outside the mainstream. t

it must be noted here however that R. Gordon Wasson never commented on Allegro's theories relating to christianity, once stating that the author of the Book of Revelation could not have been "bemushroomed" because of the mortifications that he was suffering from.

Allegro went on to write several other books exploring the roots of religion; notably The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth, which seek to relate christian theology to gnostic writings, classical mythology, and egyptian sun-worship in the common quest for divine light.

It is suggested that Allegro believed the dead sea scrolls raised issues that concerned everyone. it wasn't just a matter of dusty manuscripts and disputed translations. rather, the story of the scrolls raised questions about freedom of access to evidence, freedom of speech, and freedom to challenge orthodox religious views.

Allegro believed that through understanding the origins of religion people could be freed from its bonds to think for themselves and take responsibility for their own judgments.

Deja~vu
God created everything and said it was good! Delila even druged Samson. Besides that David in writing some of the Psalms was speaking of a drug he took, Mandrake, I believe.

Primary Effects
Parasympathetic depressant, hallucinogen, and hypnotic. Most hypnotics produce low alphoid and spindle alpha brain-wave activity, similar to that found in REM sleep, or the dreaming state. This rhythm does not allow deep sleep to occur although it does lower brain patterns into a dreamy visionary mode, known in magic as an astral plane experience

http://www.emandrake.com/public/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=8&MMN_position=7:7

It was used as a drug for sex. Genesis 30:14-17 Rachel says she'll let Leah have sex with her husband if she gives her his son's mandrakes. Mandrake is a narcotic plant. That's right, this is a drug deal in the Bible. Not only that, it's a drug deal for sex! No mention is made if Leah's son Reuben who found the mandrake plants was upset that his mother gave away his stash.

Botanical Name: Mandragora officianarum (Solanaceae)

Synonyms: Mandragora, Satan's Apple, love apple, Circe's plant, Dudaim, Ladykins, Mannikin, Racoon, Berry, Bryony roots First accounts of the Mandrake date back to the Bible. The Ancients, including greeks, romans and celts considered it an anodyne and soporific

MRasheed
Originally posted by Tired-Hiker

About 2% of the human population has the ability to spontaneously go into a DMT trip without the need for outside stimuli. I believe the prophets of God had this ability for the most part. I don't believe Moses would've needed to use the mushrooms, but he may have if God commanded him to in order to aid in the feats he performed during the Exodus.

Originally posted by lord xyz
There are many people who shared the same story as Moses.

God said He raised up prophets from all the peoples of the earth since the very beginning, and that some He told us about in scripture and some He did not. Just like the many versions of Noah that were scattered around the earth in the legends of the world, I would not be surprised if some of their other stories repeated over the aeons. It was the same basic message afterall, and people do tend to act exactly the same no matter the place and time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.