Scientific Accuracy?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dataflux
Must all science fiction movies be scientifically accurate at all times? Or is some inaccuracy forgiven as long as it looks good on screen?

The most recent movie I'm thinking of is Indianna Jones IV. There were plenty of scientific mistakes in it that did put me off of the film, such as the magnetic properties of the object they were looking for in the warehouse when he threw that gunpowder in the air and it drifted towards the source of the magnetism.

And the most blatant was the survival of a nuclear blast. He simply should not have survived under any circumstances.

Wolfie
Rules can be bent to deliver great movies.

As far as the Crystal Skull, I think the magnetic properties are well enough explained later in the movie when you find that aliens are behind it.

And some other things were just comedic effect, such as the fridge. With the nuclear bomb testing, it also gave us a blatant sense of what period it is so we know that Spielberg isn't bullshitting us, telling us that it's a year after Last Crusade.

And he obviously wouldn't have survived the waterfalls. However, I laughed very loud when I saw Indy hugging his hat at the last waterfall. It was the kind of Indy humor we all know and love.

Another obvious example is Star Wars. Since there is no air in space, you shouldn't hear anything. But X-Wings fighting the Death Star would have been boring as hell if we didn't hear the laser shots.

However, in 2001: ASO, we couldn't hear when someone was drifting into space. That was more scientifically accurate and it only worked in this because of the suspense.

Endless Mike
That's the difference between hard and soft sci-fi

MildPossession
I don't care frankly if films don't get everything right and I don't waste my time worrying about such things in FICTIONAL FILMS, if I want scientific accuracy then I will watch a documentary or go to Uni to do a degree in whatever area...

ragesRemorse
Most sci-fi movies are either metaphorical or purely fantastical. The metaphorical one's are usually the type that take the more realistic approach. As long as the presentation provokes meaningful thought nothing else really matters. If accuracy were the main concern it wouldn't be science fiction.

darthmaul1
If it's stuff not in our universe (star wars) then it doesn't have to be accurate, cause you can separate yourself from reality but any space movie needs sound in it otherwise it is boring.
This is not really scifi i guess but superman returns really bugged me when the shuttle was on top of the plane and it's boosters engaged man those bolts must of been strong, but what is worse as soon as they hit mach 1 the plane would of been ripped to pieces.

big gay kirk
star wars is in our universe. its just far away and long ago... thats how c3po and r2d2 get into Raiders of the Lost ark....

BruceSkywalker
I never worry about whether a movie is scientifically accurate

Lycanthrope
You never know, what is accuracy, they made a movie about going to the moon in the 1920's it wasn't accurate but we did go to the moon 50 years later so you can suspend disbelief for a chance of it being reality.

Endless Mike
Going to the moon was still possible according to the laws of physics known in the 20s

Just because it hadn't been done yet didn't mean it was impossible

Mindship
Originally posted by Dataflux
Must all science fiction movies be scientifically accurate at all times?No.

...is some inaccuracy forgiven as long as it looks good on screen? Yes.

And the most blatant was the survival of a nuclear blast. He simply should not have survived under any circumstances. Thou shalt not violate suspension of disbelief.

Lycanthrope
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Going to the moon was still possible according to the laws of physics known in the 20s

Are you sure they had the concept of escape velocity in the 1920's and the distance calculated to the Moon? WOW . Enlighten me please how could they know that?

Endless Mike
Sir Isaac Newton's theories of gravity

Red Nemesis
If it does bother you when something is inaccurate, does it make you feel better if there is some sort of pseudoscientific explanation tacked on? Prime example: Quantum Physics. No one (or at least very few laypeople) actually understands the theories, so they can be used to rationalize almost anything.

As someone that actually tries to keep up with the most recent ridiculous high end physics developments this really bugs me. Case in point: The Heroes season finale had someone move really really fast and go back in time. Later, they moved really really fast and went forward in time. General Relativity makes no provision (that I'm aware of) for the acceleration of time. It is one thing to go backwards, but another thing entirely to go in the opposite direction.

K-Dog
And people can control the weather or turn into steel if they have a few DNA mutations too (or shoot plasma out of their eyes that can blow a hole in a mountain).

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by K-Dog
And people can control the weather or turn into steel if they have a few DNA mutations too (or shoot plasma out of their eyes that can blow a hole in a mountain).

That part is merely suspension of disbelief- I have no problem that it is magical- I'm not watching NOVA or the discovery channel. I just want a show/movie to remain internally consistent.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Wolfie
Rules can be bent to deliver great movies.

As far as the Crystal Skull, I think the magnetic properties are well enough explained later in the movie when you find that aliens are behind it.

And some other things were just comedic effect, such as the fridge. With the nuclear bomb testing, it also gave us a blatant sense of what period it is so we know that Spielberg isn't bullshitting us, telling us that it's a year after Last Crusade.

And he obviously wouldn't have survived the waterfalls. However, I laughed very loud when I saw Indy hugging his hat at the last waterfall. It was the kind of Indy humor we all know and love.

Another obvious example is Star Wars. Since there is no air in space, you shouldn't hear anything. But X-Wings fighting the Death Star would have been boring as hell if we didn't hear the laser shots.

However, in 2001: ASO, we couldn't hear when someone was drifting into space. That was more scientifically accurate and it only worked in this because of the suspense.

Suspension of disbelief

meep-meep
Its called science FICTION, right? If you're looking for rules rent a documentary...
Besides the whole reason we have what we today is because of people thinking outside the general perception of reality...and then making it a reality. Just my opinion

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.