Source of Moon's Magnetism Found

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
I found this interesting, maybe you lot will do too.

rocks delivered to Earth by Apollo astronauts held a mystery that has plagued scientists since the 1970s: Why were the lunar rocks magnetic?

Earth's rotating, iron core produces the planet's magnetic field. But the moon does not have such a setup.

Now, scientists at MIT think they have a solution. Some 4.2 billion years ago, the moon had a liquid core with a dynamo (like Earth's core today) that produced a strong magnetic field. The moon's magnetic field would have been about 1-50th as strong as Earth's is today, the researchers say.

News link HERE

Grand-Moff-Gav
They were magnetic because they were taken from the Earth...as the astronauts never went to the moon....

(joke!)

Sadako of Girth
Interesting stuff.
So thats the moon origin a step closer to confirmed.
So the magnetic field of the moon is by that logic gonna decrease with time...but on what scale..?

And what effect will that have on its positioning relative to earth or any other effects, if at all..?

Symmetric Chaos
If a field one 50th the strength of Earth's permanently magnetized the rock why isn't everything on Earth magnetic too?

Sadako of Girth
I think that they are saying that the magnetism is sourced from the impacts of the initial formation of the moon + the long term bombardment of meteor/meteorite strikes on it.

Scythe
Originally posted by Bicnarok
I found this interesting, maybe you lot will do too.

rocks delivered to Earth by Apollo astronauts held a mystery that has plagued scientists since the 1970s: Why were the lunar rocks magnetic?

Earth's rotating, iron core produces the planet's magnetic field. But the moon does not have such a setup.

Now, scientists at MIT think they have a solution. Some 4.2 billion years ago, the moon had a liquid core with a dynamo (like Earth's core today) that produced a strong magnetic field. The moon's magnetic field would have been about 1-50th as strong as Earth's is today, the researchers say.

News link HERE

Thanks for sharing, cool stuff to me.

Jack Daniels
fossilized fragments of alien ships...not native moon rocks..only area 51 has that info though...haha..all info contained within the crystal skulls!

Bicnarok

chithappens
Has anyone gone to the moon since Neal Armstrong and the rest of that crew?

Robtard
Originally posted by chithappens
Has anyone gone to the moon since Neal Armstrong and the rest of that crew?

No, the aliens in the gigantic alien dome on the dark-side of the moon have forbidden further lunar travel.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.