KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Source of Moon's Magnetism Found

Source of Moon's Magnetism Found
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Source of Moon's Magnetism Found

I found this interesting, maybe you lot will do too.

rocks delivered to Earth by Apollo astronauts held a mystery that has plagued scientists since the 1970s: Why were the lunar rocks magnetic?

Earth's rotating, iron core produces the planet's magnetic field. But the moon does not have such a setup.

Now, scientists at MIT think they have a solution. Some 4.2 billion years ago, the moon had a liquid core with a dynamo (like Earth's core today) that produced a strong magnetic field. The moon's magnetic field would have been about 1-50th as strong as Earth's is today, the researchers say.

News link HERE

Old Post Jan 17th, 2009 09:23 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

They were magnetic because they were taken from the Earth...as the astronauts never went to the moon....

(joke!)

Old Post Jan 17th, 2009 09:51 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Interesting stuff.
So thats the moon origin a step closer to confirmed.
So the magnetic field of the moon is by that logic gonna decrease with time...but on what scale..?

And what effect will that have on its positioning relative to earth or any other effects, if at all..?

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jan 18th, 2009 03:37 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

If a field one 50th the strength of Earth's permanently magnetized the rock why isn't everything on Earth magnetic too?

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2009 03:46 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

I think that they are saying that the magnetism is sourced from the impacts of the initial formation of the moon + the long term bombardment of meteor/meteorite strikes on it.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Jan 18th, 2009 03:48 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bicnarok
I found this interesting, maybe you lot will do too.

rocks delivered to Earth by Apollo astronauts held a mystery that has plagued scientists since the 1970s: Why were the lunar rocks magnetic?

Earth's rotating, iron core produces the planet's magnetic field. But the moon does not have such a setup.

Now, scientists at MIT think they have a solution. Some 4.2 billion years ago, the moon had a liquid core with a dynamo (like Earth's core today) that produced a strong magnetic field. The moon's magnetic field would have been about 1-50th as strong as Earth's is today, the researchers say.

News link HERE

Thanks for sharing, cool stuff to me.

Old Post Jan 18th, 2009 10:27 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jack Daniels
WOW!

fossilized fragments of alien ships...not native moon rocks..only area 51 has that info though...haha..all info contained within the crystal skulls!

I can't see straight will someone point me to the milkbar..?

Old Post Jan 18th, 2009 10:37 AM
Jack Daniels is currently offline Click here to Send Jack Daniels a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Daniels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
They were magnetic because they were taken from the Earth...as the astronauts never went to the moon....

(joke!)

You might be right, nothing will surprise me in this world.

Apparently there are several mirrors on the Moon left by the Apollo astronauts. The basic design is called a "corner reflector " and they are used to measure the moons distance from the earth by beaming lasers at them. If someone could spot these mirrors it could bury the "didnīt go to moon" conspiracy's for good. Unless they were put there by alien friends of course.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2009 03:47 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chithappens

Has anyone gone to the moon since Neal Armstrong and the rest of that crew?

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jan 19th, 2009 04:52 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by chithappens
Has anyone gone to the moon since Neal Armstrong and the rest of that crew?

No, the aliens in the gigantic alien dome on the dark-side of the moon have forbidden further lunar travel.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 19th, 2009 05:15 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote