Can we compare physics and psychology?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coberst

Deja~vu
Very interesting how things are all energy and causes a "cause and effect."

This is very deep, but I enjoy it. I understand the metaphor thing.

Please keep posting.

alltoomany
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Very interesting how things are all energy and causes a "cause and effect."

This is very deep, but I enjoy it. I understand the metaphor thing.

Please keep posting.

i agree

Symmetric Chaos
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit.

alltoomany
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with bullshit.

Oh come on we love you too

Omega Vision
lol another attempt to make neuroscience a mystical art

alltoomany
Originally posted by Omega Vision
lol another attempt to make neuroscience a mystical art

did I ever tell you that I like reading ur comments?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by alltoomany
did I ever tell you that I like reading ur comments?
Did I ever tell you I find you sexy? embarrasment

Edit: Aww you're actually a chick.

I was going for comedic ho-yay. uhuh

alltoomany
Did I ever tell you I find you sexy? embarrasment

Edit: Aww you're actually a chick.

I was going for comedic ho-yay. uhuh

thank you? what is a ho yay?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by alltoomany
thank you? what is a ho yay?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HoYay

inimalist
this is some weird bastardization of Freud, at best.... which is saying little to begin with

Omega Vision
Originally posted by inimalist
this is some weird bastardization of Freud, at best.... which is saying little to begin with
Less incest.

inimalist
also, to point out, I've never met a cognitive scientist who talks about "second generation cognitive science", that seems like some word salad

Less incest.

moar coke

dadudemon
also, to point out, I've never met a cognitive scientist who talks about "second generation cognitive science", that seems like some word salad

Really?

It's not known by most but I was aware of the label and I am a layman to the "craft".

Here's an example of it being used:

http://www.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/en/aps/200800400012/1306.htm

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon
Really?

It's not known by most but I was aware of the label and I am a layman to the "craft".

Here's an example of it being used:

http://www.fed.cuhk.edu.hk/en/aps/200800400012/1306.htm

no, it seems almost entirely insignificant in all cognitive psych I've taken or read

possibly because of the neurological "revolution" , but ya, never heard of it from anyone other than coberst

EDIT: LOL for realz, it looks like, from that abstract, SGCS is essentially some attempt to keep dualism in psychology... which is silly and almost psudoscience to begin with. sure it was published, but people publish on quantum consciousness, and that is total hogwash too

EDIT2: not to nit-pick, but Acta Psychologica isn't really known as the leading edge of the field, and this is an article that was published in their specifically Chinese journal...

EDIT3: the author's name returns 6 results on pub med, none of them are papers published by the author. I have more articles on pub med than this individual

dadudemon
no, it seems almost entirely insignificant in all cognitive psych I've taken or read

possibly because of the neurological "revolution" , but ya, never heard of it from anyone other than coberst

EDIT: LOL for realz, it looks like, from that abstract, SGCS is essentially some attempt to keep dualism in psychology... which is silly and almost psudoscience to begin with. sure it was published, but people publish on quantum consciousness, and that is total hogwash too

EDIT2: not to nit-pick, but Acta Psychologica isn't really known as the leading edge of the field, and this is an article that was published in their specifically Chinese journal...

EDIT3: the author's name returns 6 results on pub med, none of them are papers published by the author. I have more articles on pub med than this individual

Bro, you mad and jealous? smile

The phrase exists in the real world. That's all I wanted to point out.

And, I know you hate quantum physics being mixed up with psychology. Neuroscience will eventually completely subsume psychology. I'm looking forward to it.

inimalist
Bro, you mad and jealous? smile

The phrase exists in the real world. That's all I wanted to point out.

well, fair enough. I'm just saying, for as much as it exists in the real world, it seems entirely ignored by cognitive scientists

Jealous? I'm a grad student and I'm kicking that guys ass! I have 2 citations now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

And, I know you hate quantum physics being mixed up with psychology.

I'd have no problem with it if there was even the smallest shred of evidence for it or if there was anything that was explained better by applying to quantum phenomenon.

I'm sure I've told you about seeing physicists talk and try to define things that are obviously psychological in terms of bizarre theoretical physics.

Neuroscience will eventually completely subsume psychology. I'm looking forward to it.

maybe, it depends how you define "neuroscience". There are some things that are going to require a "neural systems" type view, and whether you consider that strict neuroscience or a new subject focused on "emergent" type phenomenon based on patterns of distributed neural firing. I'm not so keen on these "genres" of science, as I'm taking a psych of control course right now, and the prof keeps talking about social cognitive neuroscience as if that is something new rather than just applying knowledge from people with different research focus.

I hardly even differentiate between psych and neuro. At this point, I think the only relevant distinction is research and applied.

dadudemon
well, fair enough. I'm just saying, for as much as it exists in the real world, it seems entirely ignored by cognitive scientists

Personally, I don't put weight on such phrases. However, in technology, your "nomenclature" is supposed to be "self-documenting". That may have been what they are going for. But, in English writing, having too many words for calling something...something...is considered "bad form." That actually has a name and it is frowned upon. Scientists don't give no **cks about proper English writing. big grin

Jealous? I'm a grad student and I'm kicking that guys ass! I have 2 citations now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

Yup...you're mad bro. big grin

I'd have no problem with it if there was even the smallest shred of evidence for it or if there was anything that was explained better by applying to quantum phenomenon.

Know that, at this point, you'll be talking over my head. I am aware of the superficial machinations of the phenomena (how they are proposed) but I do not know exactly how it works (at least how they propose it works).

I'm sure I've told you about seeing physicists talk and try to define things that are obviously psychological in terms of bizarre theoretical physics.

Yes, and that stuff makes "u mad bro".

maybe, it depends how you define "neuroscience". There are some things that are going to require a "neural systems" type view, and whether you consider that strict neuroscience or a new subject focused on "emergent" type phenomenon based on patterns of distributed neural firing. I'm not so keen on these "genres" of science, as I'm taking a psych of control course right now, and the prof keeps talking about social cognitive neuroscience as if that is something new rather than just applying knowledge from people with different research focus.

I hardly even differentiate between psych and neuro. At this point, I think the only relevant distinction is research and applied.

I think that our future psychologists and psychiatrists will be neuroscientists, first and foremost. Instead of a sit down session where you talk about it...we'll just interface with dem shits and know wtf is up.

Do you think that if (rather, when) we can do information injection and retrieval at the neuronic level, we will truly be able to cure someone of an environmentally caused mental illness (i.e. ptsd). It seems to be the logical conclusion. We really will be able to "cure" someone of a mental illness. What about different types of schizophrenia? I sure hope so. My grandchildren had better be able to take advantage of such treatments.

WTF are you doing on KMC? You need to be researching this shit, now!!!! mad I want cures, damnit!

inimalist
Yup...you're mad bro. big grin

about quantum consciousness, yes

otherwise I'm the shit

Do you think that if (rather, when) we can do information injection and retrieval at the neuronic level, we will truly be able to cure someone of an environmentally caused mental illness (i.e. ptsd). It seems to be the logical conclusion. We really will be able to "cure" someone of a mental illness. What about different types of schizophrenia? I sure hope so. My grandchildren had better be able to take advantage of such treatments.

in a far future that I can't comprehend, maybe

the problem now is that the brain doesn't work like a computer hard drive where there is just space to put memories and experiences, but its actual structure is built in different ways based on our experiences. Its not like someone with ptsd has a "corrupt file" in their memory, its that they have physically different neuronal connections that cause this, and to determine which specific connections are responsible for different experiences and the ability to change them seems almost like science fiction at this point

however, you might want to look up DTI (diffusion tensor imaging) that can use an MRI to image neuronal connections between various brain regions. We can't see which are active at this point, but it allows the sort of anatomical research that was only possible during autopsy previously. I remember being astounded, like literally mouth open, when I got to see it at work. To see the connections between active brain areas and other regions on an fMRI just totally blew me away. I'm skeptical of this stuff by nature, but some major jump in this technology may provide exactly what you are saying.

WTF are you doing on KMC? You need to be researching this shit, now!!!! mad I want cures, damnit!

cures? not my field, bro. I'd be very happy if none of my research ever helped people. I care about mechanisms, not about what helps people.

lol, actually, collected some good data for the first time today, after 3 months of just intense problems with my equipment. I think I've actually invented a new filtering method in my data analysis... so that is cool... otherwise, ya, I'm for sure going to get a publication off the stuff I'm doing now, and it is REALLY interesting for the field, and the prof I'm working for is happy to let me run with my crazy ideas

dadudemon
in a far future that I can't comprehend, maybe

the problem now is that the brain doesn't work like a computer hard drive where there is just space to put memories and experiences, but its actual structure is built in different ways based on our experiences. Its not like someone with ptsd has a "corrupt file" in their memory, its that they have physically different neuronal connections that cause this, and to determine which specific connections are responsible for different experiences and the ability to change them seems almost like science fiction at this point

I am aware of the neuronic groupings and synapse. I think I mentioned this in the other thread...but...basically, you'd target the group of neurons associated with that memory. We'd have to greatly expand our knowledge of how these groups interact with each other but we could relocate the memory to a grouping that is not accessed by the subconscious from stimuli. But, like I pointed out a while back, neuro-plasticity may make this new location accessible to processes...because it would still be accessible. So, like I pointed out to someone else not on KMC, we would argue the ethics of removing the memories entirely or placing them in "virtual space" to avoid the ethics. Are not the memories who we are? Would we just go back, over and over, and get the memories moved to a location that is not longer accessible? Or am I over-estimating neuro-plasticity? (surely there's a way you can associate these synapses in a way that makes it inaccessible to the fight or flight response but still accessible as a memory?) That would require a physical manipulation....or would it? If you can control the information actually stored (if we can figure that out) then we could just simply find a group of associated neurons that fit the bill...without having to physically manipulate axons. We could also find an alternative configuration the nets the same results or at least gives us the desired "setup".

however, you might want to look up DTI (diffusion tensor imaging) that can use an MRI to image neuronal connections between various brain regions. We can't see which are active at this point, but it allows the sort of anatomical research that was only possible during autopsy previously. I remember being astounded, like literally mouth open, when I got to see it at work. To see the connections between active brain areas and other regions on an fMRI just totally blew me away. I'm skeptical of this stuff by nature, but some major jump in this technology may provide exactly what you are saying.

I was aware of DTI: it is the "baby" step of how we get to reading and fitting memories/desired information in the places we want. It would require the scanning of an recognition of the neurons and axon connection to such a point that it grossly outpaces current computing technology: it still takes a large amount of time to pattern match finger prints to a database of millions..much less pattern much perfectly to a specific pattern/grouping to create a specific ensemble match. CSI is full of shit, basically....our computers are not fast enough to pattern match to anything useful on the "trillions of synapses" scale.

cures? not my field, bro. I'd be very happy if none of my research ever helped people. I care about mechanisms, not about what helps people.

Your discoveries on how shit works may lead to cures. You're part of the system of cures! 313

lol, actually, collected some good data for the first time today, after 3 months of just intense problems with my equipment. I think I've actually invented a new filtering method in my data analysis... so that is cool... otherwise, ya, I'm for sure going to get a publication off the stuff I'm doing now, and it is REALLY interesting for the field, and the prof I'm working for is happy to let me run with my crazy ideas

Well...

1. That's awesome that you're a free agent. Keep in mind that if you make a marvelous breakthrough that makes you millions, I knew you and supported your work BEFORE the riches. uhuh Obviously, support, in this regard, is acting as a cheerleader. no expression

2. Finding an open-minded project lead/boss/lead researcher is difficult to find, these days. You're lucky. They have their own ideas, many times. For instance, Hawking ran into trouble with his research on blackholes and his "boss" said, "Dude, this is shit science. It will never go anywhere." I bet hawking laughed about that...while droollin. sad

inimalist
am I over-estimating neuro-plasticity?

probably

so, what I am studying now is reaching and how the eyes and the hand coordinate. If you think about it in terms of what is known as the dual hypothesis of vision, reaching is strictly a "dorsal" task:

http://brainmind.com/images/VisualStream254.gif

The dorsal stream is the "vision-for-action" stream, whereas the ventral stream is the "vision-for-perception" stream (for instance, Visual Agnosia is caused from ventral damage and Optic Ataxia is caused by dorsal damage ). Because some people in our lab do research on clinical populations (not on treatments, on a condition called PCA ) we try to put a bit of a clinical spin on our work (helps with funding too).

Anyways, in a clinical sense, it is possible that activating, bottom-up, either the dorsal or ventral stream could help damage in the other, given how connected they are. However, this is unlikely, as similar tactics have not shown results historically.

It might be that nobody has tested it specifically, or in a specific way, but at this point, it doesn't look like unlimited plasticity exists.

However, the hippocampus and memory itself are entirely different, the hippocampus undergoing intense plasticity throughout life, so maybe it will work differently, however, I do doubt the ability of this type of "bottom-up therapy", though I admit, it is almost entirely unstudied.

(surely there's a way you can associate these synapses in a way that makes it inaccessible to the fight or flight response but still accessible as a memory?) That would require a physical manipulation....or would it?

It would probably require a physical manipulation of some kind, the big risk however would be that neurological areas are highly tied to one another. I can only assume there isn't a ptsd "spot" that would be independent of other memories.

we could argue the benefits of getting rid of it while causing other cognitive developments, however, the idea that things are processed in specific and localized areas in the brain is quickly falling out of favor for distributed and overlapping models. I can't speak to ptsd specifically, but the idea that removing or disrupting the connections to that area wouldn't cause massive impacts to the memory and emotion system is almost inconceivable.

however, we are talking future tech, so maybe in this world we can rebuild these systems or whatever... idk... this future-science bullshit makes me mad, bro, as well.

CSI is full of shit, basically....our computers are not fast enough to pattern match to anything useful on the "trillions of synapses" scale.

at this point, the best we have been able to simulate is a very limited mouse brain. However, when we turned it on, it began to organize much in the same way we had predicted, meaning that even though we are extremely limited at this point, we probably are on the right track.

but ya, CSI is bullshit. hence why I don't pay for cable

Your discoveries on how shit works may lead to cures. You're part of the system of cures! 313

ha, you want to talk to me about something that gets me mad, it is the fact that everyone I meet thinks psychology is only about the clinical/guidance thing. People know Freud and Dr Phil.

It takes pains sometimes to explain to people that I don't care about helping them with their insignificant problems that stem from all the lies they tell themselves

Well...

1. That's awesome that you're a free agent. Keep in mind that if you make a marvelous breakthrough that makes you millions, I knew you and supported your work BEFORE the riches. uhuh Obviously, support, in this regard, is acting as a cheerleader. no expression

cash only

2. Finding an open-minded project lead/boss/lead researcher is difficult to find, these days. You're lucky. They have their own ideas, many times. For instance, Hawking ran into trouble with his research on blackholes and his "boss" said, "Dude, this is shit science. It will never go anywhere." I bet hawking laughed about that...while droollin. sad

ya, I've actually got a very supportive prof that I am working for now (not that my previous one in undergrad was any different, I'm just expressing that I am ****ing lucky)

dadudemon
probably

so, what I am studying now is reaching and how the eyes and the hand coordinate. If you think about it in terms of what is known as the dual hypothesis of vision, reaching is strictly a "dorsal" task:

http://brainmind.com/images/VisualStream254.gif

The dorsal stream is the "vision-for-action" stream, whereas the ventral stream is the "vision-for-perception" stream (for instance, Visual Agnosia is caused from ventral damage and Optic Ataxia is caused by dorsal damage ). Because some people in our lab do research on clinical populations (not on treatments, on a condition called PCA ) we try to put a bit of a clinical spin on our work (helps with funding too).

Anyways, in a clinical sense, it is possible that activating, bottom-up, either the dorsal or ventral stream could help damage in the other, given how connected they are. However, this is unlikely, as similar tactics have not shown results historically.

It might be that nobody has tested it specifically, or in a specific way, but at this point, it doesn't look like unlimited plasticity exists.

However, the hippocampus and memory itself are entirely different, the hippocampus undergoing intense plasticity throughout life, so maybe it will work differently, however, I do doubt the ability of this type of "bottom-up therapy", though I admit, it is almost entirely unstudied.

You're selling out to a clinical spin to get funding...you bastard. You're just like everyone else. (JK)

About the plasticity of the memories, this is what I was referring to. It is that plasticity that makes me think moving the "traumatic" memories to another area that are not generally associated with the bottom-up responses to stimuli (though...isn't that a failed conclusion anyway? the subconscious does its background stuff all the time making the notion that you can just shove the memory somewhere safe, just stupid) a safe solution if you assume our mind will not re-wire to re-integrate the memories into our responses (i.e. triggers to the memories associated with the traumatic event). This is supported with the dreams about war and waking up in a total rage and scared to the point of shitting or pissing yourself or beating up your spouse (real reactions for some with PTSD)...the subconscious is still "digging" around our memories and creating dreams from them. That tells me my idea is shit and there's no "safe" place unless you remove the memory altogether. The memory may be safe until the connections are made and then you'd have to move it again. I dunno, doesn't seem pragmatic. I am not intelligent enough or knowledgeable enough to come up with pragmatic solutions to problems that function from memories. But that is the type of work our future neuroscientists will need to be looking into as it would obviously be in high demand if we get there (considering that some people think we are just a couple of decades away from becoming virtually immortal (either digitally or biologically)).

It would probably require a physical manipulation of some kind, the big risk however would be that neurological areas are highly tied to one another. I can only assume there isn't a ptsd "spot" that would be independent of other memories.

I agree. When they expose these "dudes" to images that are supposed to invoke their PTS, it activates in certain areas of the brain. It is in the same areas, but there's no way to localize it: there's probably a mass of "neuronic groups" activated because that memory is tied to so much stuff that it would be absurd to try and move it.

we could argue the benefits of getting rid of it while causing other cognitive developments, however, the idea that things are processed in specific and localized areas in the brain is quickly falling out of favor for distributed and overlapping models. I can't speak to ptsd specifically, but the idea that removing or disrupting the connections to that area wouldn't cause massive impacts to the memory and emotion system is almost inconceivable.

however, we are talking future tech, so maybe in this world we can rebuild these systems or whatever... idk... this future-science bullshit makes me mad, bro, as well.

Well, if you consider removing the association of that memory as a trigger of stress/negative reaction, our brain already does it for us when we go through therapy. So it should not be beyond the realm of science to recreate, in a more "predictable" and controllable fashion, what the brain already does for us. Why is it that some can completely get over it (lose their symptoms) and others keep it with them the rest of their lives? For example, I almost got knocked the **** out by my grandfather when I fake punched at his face...he went into military mode and almost took me out (he stopped before he actually hit me but I could tell I was a couple of seconds away from getting shit stomped by someone with mild PTSD). Even though he was completely over his PTSD (it was never that bad) he still showed signs that it wasn't fully "gotten-over".

but ya, CSI is bullshit. hence why I don't pay for cable

Every episode has something in it to make at least several scientists from different fields face palm. It's worse than Star Trek, in that regard.

ha, you want to talk to me about something that gets me mad, it is the fact that everyone I meet thinks psychology is only about the clinical/guidance thing. People know Freud and Dr Phil.

I think that you just admitted there was clinical applications of your work and part of how you get funding. nya nya. I do agree that that may be in part due to how much we think this should all tie back into "cures!". Everyone wants their cures or at least snake oil with science enough to make it seem like "not snake oil."

Don't get me started on "Dr." Phil.

It takes pains sometimes to explain to people that I don't care about helping them with their insignificant problems that stem from all the lies they tell themselves

It seems that it doesn't take any pain at all for you to say that. Rather, you seem to enjoy saying things, "IDGAF about you pissing your bed and how it carried over into your sex life where you like to be pissed on to get off".

Remember that one time I asked you if there was something wrong with me because I was confusing memories created in dreams for memories in the real world? I thought there was something wrong with my reality association and I did not know enough about neuroscience to tell if it was the symptom of another medical problem. You were nice about it and said, "nah...there shouldn't be any problems". I'm not a hypochondriac, for sure, but every now and again, something happens that makes me thing maybe I shouldn't be so carefree. Some people look to those that are genuinely knowledgeable, or at least those that are passing themselves off as such, for comfort and legit guidance. It's in human nature. You have a great power: start taking advantage of people! laughing

cash only

Done. Do you take canadian bucks or USD?

ya, I've actually got a very supportive prof that I am working for now (not that my previous one in undergrad was any different, I'm just expressing that I am ****ing lucky)

Good. At least you know you're lucky.

inimalist
ugh, have to stop and play skyrim

dadudemon
ugh, have to stop and play skyrim

WTF? You have Skyrim? I guess you're not as poor as I thought. Hooray for virtual worlds!

inimalist
WTF? You have Skyrim? I guess you're not as poor as I thought. Hooray for virtual worlds!

<---------------------------------------

come on

dadudemon
<---------------------------------------

come on

Yes...but...I thought you were above that sort of thing for the stuff you strongly supported. In fact, I remember you saying that you purchase for stuff you support back in '08. A game you will play for 70-150 hours seems like one of those things...especially since I never see you post about video games you want to play instead of discuss neuroscience.

I'm not dogging you because Bethesda made a shit ton of money already and they already made their budget back and then some. I just thought this would be something your purchased instead of torrenting based on previous discussion. That last post I made actually took quite a bit of thinking before I typed it and submitted (like 15 whole seconds which is a long time for me).

inimalist
Yes...but...I thought you were above that sort of thing for the stuff you strongly supported. In fact, I remember you saying that you purchase for stuff you support back in '08. A game you will play for 70-150 hours seems like one of those things...especially since I never see you post about video games you want to play instead of discuss neuroscience.

I'm not dogging you because Bethesda made a shit ton of money already and they already made their budget back and then some. I just thought this would be something your purchased instead of torrenting based on previous discussion. That last post I made actually took quite a bit of thinking before I typed it and submitted (like 15 whole seconds which is a long time for me).

i probably will pick it up at some point for exactly why you mentioned, but no, the cash isnt there for games at the moment

dadudemon
i probably will pick it up at some point for exactly why you mentioned, but no, the cash isnt there for games at the moment

Meaning I was right in my assumptions on all accounts HOWEVER I over-estimated your seeming sage-like patience for consuming entertainment (you have never come off as one of those impatient consumer types...i.e. me lol).

Back on topic.

I would love to read your thoughts on my last big -arse response. We are technically still on topic because physics and psychology TECHNICALLY merge at neuroscience. All of "real" science it technically some sort of physics but on higher levels.

All of physics is technically math. So, yeah, everything "science" is math...xkcd comic on that, too...

inimalist
I would love to read your thoughts on my last big -arse response

ugh, let me know in a couple of days if I haven't gotten to it. I totally hear what you are saying, and there is some interesting stuff I'd love to go over, I just have a lot of stuff on my plate at the moment.

dadudemon
ugh, let me know in a couple of days if I haven't gotten to it. I totally hear what you are saying, and there is some interesting stuff I'd love to go over, I just have a lot of stuff on my plate at the moment.

Since I won't forget (I still have a youtube video reply to one of your posts from 2008 that I have yet to get around, to...lame, I know...), I'll remind you at some random future date when I start thinking about it, again.

inimalist
You're selling out to a clinical spin to get funding...you bastard. You're just like everyone else. (JK)

there is a game to play. it sucks, but until I play it enough, nobody will listen to me when I say we should probably change it

About the plasticity of the memories, this is what I was referring to. It is that plasticity that makes me think moving the "traumatic" memories to another area that are not generally associated with the bottom-up responses to stimuli (though...isn't that a failed conclusion anyway? the subconscious does its background stuff all the time making the notion that you can just shove the memory somewhere safe, just stupid) a safe solution if you assume our mind will not re-wire to re-integrate the memories into our responses (i.e. triggers to the memories associated with the traumatic event). This is supported with the dreams about war and waking up in a total rage and scared to the point of shitting or pissing yourself or beating up your spouse (real reactions for some with PTSD)...the subconscious is still "digging" around our memories and creating dreams from them. That tells me my idea is shit and there's no "safe" place unless you remove the memory altogether. The memory may be safe until the connections are made and then you'd have to move it again. I dunno, doesn't seem pragmatic. I am not intelligent enough or knowledgeable enough to come up with pragmatic solutions to problems that function from memories. But that is the type of work our future neuroscientists will need to be looking into as it would obviously be in high demand if we get there (considering that some people think we are just a couple of decades away from becoming virtually immortal (either digitally or biologically)).

I agree. When they expose these "dudes" to images that are supposed to invoke their PTS, it activates in certain areas of the brain. It is in the same areas, but there's no way to localize it: there's probably a mass of "neuronic groups" activated because that memory is tied to so much stuff that it would be absurd to try and move it.

Well, if you consider removing the association of that memory as a trigger of stress/negative reaction, our brain already does it for us when we go through therapy. So it should not be beyond the realm of science to recreate, in a more "predictable" and controllable fashion, what the brain already does for us. Why is it that some can completely get over it (lose their symptoms) and others keep it with them the rest of their lives? For example, I almost got knocked the **** out by my grandfather when I fake punched at his face...he went into military mode and almost took me out (he stopped before he actually hit me but I could tell I was a couple of seconds away from getting shit stomped by someone with mild PTSD). Even though he was completely over his PTSD (it was never that bad) he still showed signs that it wasn't fully "gotten-over".

I think the biggest thing is that PTSD isn't a memory problem per se, it is an emotional problem associated with too much reaction for specific stimuli.

I think we have to differ between what I think you are describing as a "bottom-up" stimuli therapy, and a specific neurological intervention where people literally shape neuronal connections.

in terms of just using the brains own plasticity, sure, you are right, often people's brains will temper traumatic memories, but it is not a perfect system, and memory works in such a way that more intense and emotional things are remembered better. You might work to decouple intense emotional reactions from the PTSD stimuli, but I'm not sure if the cure would be worse than the condition in that case. For instance, I suffer fairly intense panic attacks from blood sometimes. In theory (though I am skeptical) some type of therapy where I am subjected to blood might cause me to habituate to the stimuli, but to do that it would require me to go through many panic attacks. I'm not sure if a therapy that required exposure to PTSD triggers is the best way to go about curing PTSD, simply because of how traumatic the therapy would be itself.

The type of neuronal interventions where we could shape the physical connections to produce less emotional response? sure, it will take a couple more decades of understanding individual neuronal organization and some more maturity in neuron/circuit interfaces, but if you are proposing that level of sophistical in the science, I can't see the major theoretical issue. I'd say, from where I sit at least, that such maturity and understanding are massive obstacles at this point, and require so much investigation that such interventions are comparable to hard science fiction, but I can't think of a theoretical reason why it wouldn't be possible. It might cause irreversible changes in personality and the like, but given we are talking about changing a disorder that effects the personality, that might be a good thing or even the specific results being sought.

Don't get me started on "Dr." Phil.

I would take the jail time/fines that would come from punching him square in the face if I ever got the opportunity. He is so offensive to the entire philosophy I have about the things that mean the most to me (psych and all that), and no matter what I do, I will never have as much impact as he does. He gets to pull 100% wrong ideas out of his ass on TV and gets a studio audience to clap as he yells at emotionally unstable people with severe interpersonal and relationship issues. He is what is wrong with our society. Like, literally, all the things I hate about society, its ignorance, anti-intellectualism, pop-psychology, easy answers, black and white, self aggrandizing idiocy, he is like a condensed form of all of that. AND HIS BOOKS ARE STACKED BESIDE THOSE WRITTEN BY REAL SCIENTISTS IN THE PSYCHOLOGY SECTION OF BOOK STORES.

and his sell better by a 10 to 1 margin.....

aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnd.............. I'm depressed again...

Remember that one time I asked you if there was something wrong with me because I was confusing memories created in dreams for memories in the real world? I thought there was something wrong with my reality association and I did not know enough about neuroscience to tell if it was the symptom of another medical problem. You were nice about it and said, "nah...there shouldn't be any problems". I'm not a hypochondriac, for sure, but every now and again, something happens that makes me thing maybe I shouldn't be so carefree. Some people look to those that are genuinely knowledgeable, or at least those that are passing themselves off as such, for comfort and legit guidance. It's in human nature. You have a great power: start taking advantage of people! laughing

I think you get my point though

most of the time I spend in describing what I do is telling people why I'm not qualified to give them advice on their personal issues rather than explaining the interesting things I find with my research. In fact, once I specify that I'm not going to tell people that they are special snowflakes, they seem totally uninterested... funny that...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.