Newcomers Winner

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

willRules
I recently introduced a friend to the wonderful world of comics and have already lent him several different titles or runs on a series. After a few months of doing this he requested to read DC's Crisis events, which I have now lent him.

I realised that with his reading of the Crisis stories he has crossed the line between casual fan and a much more avid comic reader.

This raises a couple of interesting topics for discussion......

If someone (with little comic knowledge) expressed an interest in comics, what would you lend to them?

Have you lent any comics to newcomers if so, what?

What series, comic etc etc got you into reading comics?

leonidas
Originally posted by willRules

avengers. the original count nefaria arc and the original korvac arcs in particular were unbelieveable to me. i remember i got the korvac issue taken away from me by my teacher in grade school!

damn literacy pirate . . .

willRules
Some of the series I have lent my friend in the past include; Watchmen, Astonishing X-men, Y the last man, Immortal Iron-Fist, Wolverine Origins Umbrella Academy and Ultimates 2.

As someone with a slightly better knowledge than your average man on the street (He loved the JLU cartoon and occasionally kept up with comic news despite not collecting) he, surprisingly preferred the more indie stuff. He loved Y the last man but was slightly more ambivalent with Astonishing X-men (which I loved).

He told me he's slowly wading through the Crisis but I tried to console him with the fact that Geoff Johns rewards DC fans who read Crisis in his run on GL (especially in the Sinestro Corps War).

willRules
Originally posted by leonidas
avengers. the original count nefaria arc and the original korvac arcs in particular were unbelieveable to me. i remember i got the korvac issue taken away from me by my teacher in grade school!

damn literacy pirate . . .

I own a lot of back issues of the Avengers in a British reprint but I stopped buying it and have regretted it as I think I missed those stories.....really wanted to read them mad

Symmetric Chaos
There isn't a specific comic I would give to someone. It depends too much on the person.

I gave my mother Watchmen after I read it and realized she'd probably have better context for the story that I did. For a boy in middle or high-school I'd probably suggest he read Ultimates 1 and 2. If I knew someone who loved post modernism I'd probably suggest Seven Soldiers. For a person looking for a well developed "traditional" super hero story I'd give them Morrison's JLA or John's JSA.

Nihilist
Infinity Gauntlet.

Digi
I always start them with something that has a definite end (no ongoing series), and requires little to no backstory knowledge of characters or events. Usually one of the iconic works by Moore, Watchmen or V. Limited issue series work well too if they like a particular character. Everyone from Deadpool to Surfer has good 4-8 issue self-contained stories that are a good intro to the character.

Originally posted by Nihilist
Infinity Gauntlet.

I can't imagine someone not being lost with this. Not by the story in and of itself, but by the subject material and scope, not to mention the dozens of characters in it. Heck, there was months of buildup to this anyway, in the cosmic books, Thanos books, Surfer, etc. A great story, yes. A starter story, hell no.

Nihilist
Originally posted by Digi
I always start them with something that has a definite end (no ongoing series), and requires little to no backstory knowledge of characters or events. Usually one of the iconic works by Moore, Watchmen or V. Limited issue series work well too if they like a particular character. Everyone from Deadpool to Surfer has good 4-8 issue self-contained stories that are a good intro to the character.

I can't imagine someone not being lost with this. Not by the story in and of itself, but by the subject material and scope, not to mention the dozens of characters in it. Heck, there was months of buildup to this anyway, in the cosmic books, Thanos books, Surfer, etc. A great story, yes. A starter story, hell no. My IG comment was on what got me into reading comics, like what Will asked in his OP.

leonidas

I can't imagine someone not being lost with this. Not by the story in and of itself, but by the subject material and scope, not to mention the dozens of characters in it. Heck, there was months of buildup to this anyway, in the cosmic books, Thanos books, Surfer, etc. A great story, yes. A starter story, hell no.

i wouldn't give it for all those reasons either. and one more--i didn't think the story was anywhere NEAR "great" . . . erm

Digi
i wouldn't give it for all those reasons either. and one more--i didn't think the story was anywhere NEAR "great" . . . erm

Ha. Fair enough. I like all of Starlin's old cosmic stuff, and classic Warlock was a pimp.

Originally posted by Nihilist
My IG comment was on what got me into reading comics, like what Will asked in his OP.

That's cool. I'm just saying it's not good starter material.

BruceSkywalker
It was Bruce Lee that me into reading comic books.. No, not him personally.. I broke my leg when I was 4 and laying in the hospital I read my very first Batman comic..

In the past I have lent out various chris claremont x-men comics. I have lent the Knightfasll saga and I have also lent out various KOTOR comics as well

Badabing
When I got back into comics, I read and re-read the DC Crisis crossovers, GL trades, Secret War, Marvel's Infinity crossovers and some JLA and Avenger trades.

Ryo 666
I'd never lend out any of my comics.

Bouboumaster
Watchmen

leonidas
Ha. Fair enough. I like all of Starlin's old cosmic stuff, and classic Warlock was a pimp.

That's cool. I'm just saying it's not good starter material.

oh, i liked starlin's OLD cosmic stuff--the original warlock stuff, the cube storylines, the mar-vell stuff . . . just that with the IG and the remake of thanos from "super-cool-but-not-overpowered" to "nowhere-NEAR-as-cool-and-completely-played-out" is where the "new" starlin stuff really began. smile

and will--you REALLY gotta read those avengers arcs, bro. seriously--still to this day some of the best stuff i've read. wink

willRules

Completely agree with this. The first Deadpool comic I picked up was his first solo 4 issue miniseries and it hooked me onto the character.

Even though Marvel's events aren't necessarily designed to be new reader friendly, they tend to attract a lot of new readers due to the fact that they are a mini-series that get a lot of hype from fans. Civil War was a brilliant example of this. It attracted tons of new readers and the sales certainly attest to this. Secret Invasions was similar in that respect.

The downside is, whether the fans enjoyed Civil War or not, it made drastic changes to the MU. However that can only be appreciated with a working knowledge of the MU. It's ironic that the massive events garner new fans because of their hype but are only fully appreciated (and complained about) by those who understand continuity yes

and will--you REALLY gotta read those avengers arcs, bro. seriously--still to this day some of the best stuff i've read. wink

Yeah I'll get round to picking them up in trades at some point. I tend to favour the modern stories but at the moment I'm buying Marvel's pocket book of X-men classics. I'm in love with Claremont's run on X-men. That's true Marvel classics. Once I'm done with that I'm sure I'll check out the Korvac saga yes

theICONiac
PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

willRules
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
There isn't a specific comic I would give to someone. It depends too much on the person.

I gave my mother Watchmen after I read it and realized she'd probably have better context for the story that I did. For a boy in middle or high-school I'd probably suggest he read Ultimates 1 and 2. If I knew someone who loved post modernism I'd probably suggest Seven Soldiers. For a person looking for a well developed "traditional" super hero story I'd give them Morrison's JLA or John's JSA.

Did your Mum enjoy Watchmen?

I can't envision my Mother enjoying any of my comics, with the possible exception of Maus. That's the only thing I can think of in my collection that she would appreciate smile

willRules
Originally posted by theICONiac
PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

Would you recommend it to newcomers who weren't Hulk fans??? The friend I used as an example hates Hulk and so I steered clear of lending him Hulk comics.....

....although I have very few Hulk comics to lend.....

Symmetric Chaos
Did your Mum enjoy Watchmen?

I can't envision my Mother enjoying any of my comics, with the possible exception of Maus. That's the only thing I can think of in my collection that she would appreciate smile

She loved it.

theICONiac
Would you recommend it to newcomers who weren't Hulk fans???

Damn straight. Don't like the Hulk?? Go back to reading 'TeenBeat'.

Disappear
i recently lent my buddy trades 1-7 of Ex Machina. great self-contained stories that don't need other titles or hours of internet browsing to understand, fantastic art, adult subject material AND a not-too-over-the-top superhero. it seems like the book's hit-or-miss among moderate fans, as far as who i've talked to, but newcomers would probably be able to get into it easily. haven't really gotten a reaction on how he's liked 'em yet.

Ryo 666
Damn straight. Don't like the Hulk?? Go back to reading 'TeenBeat'. roll eyes (sarcastic)

willRules
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
She loved it.

That's really cool. yes

Originally posted by Disappear
i recently lent my buddy trades 1-7 of Ex Machina. great self-contained stories that don't need other titles or hours of internet browsing to understand, fantastic art, adult subject material AND a not-too-over-the-top superhero. it seems like the book's hit-or-miss among moderate fans, as far as who i've talked to, but newcomers would probably be able to get into it easily. haven't really gotten a reaction on how he's liked 'em yet.

Awesome, let me know what your mate thinks of Ex Machina. I took the same approach with my friend using Y: the last man. He thought it was so good he's tempted to buy a copy of the trades for himself now.

Disappear
Awesome, let me know what your mate thinks of Ex Machina. I took the same approach with my friend using Y: the last man. He thought it was so good he's tempted to buy a copy of the trades for himself now.

just asked, apparently he thinks they're: a good way to pass the time, and the entire concept is good, but it's a "boring read." i disagree, but to each his own.

willRules
just asked, apparently he thinks they're: a good way to pass the time, and the entire concept is good, but it's a "boring read." i disagree, but to each his own.

My recommendation would be Y: the last man or something a bit more mainstream (Watchmen maybe or Whedon's run of Astonishing X-men)

Disappear
he's a casual reader, already reading a bunch of staples at barnes and noble and whatnot. deadpool fan, too. but he hated Y, for no good reason as far as i can tell.

Newjak
Well honestly if I was starting a newcomer out on comics I would give probably give them some kind of non main stream titles so they could avoid having to deal with continuity for the first bit.

So I would go for things like Kingdom Come, The Watchmen, X-Men stick out tongue

Raoul
Would you recommend it to newcomers who weren't Hulk fans??? The friend I used as an example hates Hulk and so I steered clear of lending him Hulk comics.....

....although I have very few Hulk comics to lend.....

yes. Peter David can make anyone love the hulk. It's godly.

My first comic? When i was six, my dad got me a copy of a silver surfer comic. from then on i was hooked.

theICONiac
Originally posted by Raoul
yes. Peter David can make anyone love the hulk. It's godly.

Amen brother!

You now living in Calgary??? Formerly from Ireland??

Raoul
Amen brother!

You now living in Calgary??? Formerly from Ireland??

yup. arrived last saturday, hoping to build some sort of life here...

theICONiac
yup. arrived last saturday, hoping to build some sort of life here...

Are you an immigrant or formerly Canadian?

Raoul
Are you an immigrant or formerly Canadian?

immigrant. born and raised on the emerald isle i was, t'be sure... laughing out loud

my family's irish, though i have aunts and uncles in canada and the USA, just not nearby lol...

theICONiac
immigrant. born and raised on the emerald isle i was, t'be sure... laughing out loud

my family's irish, though i have aunts and uncles in canada and the USA, just not nearby lol...

Great...more Irish in Canada (KIDDING!!! I'm half-Irish, and my mom would beat me with a potatoe if she saw that big grin )

Alberta is the most prosperous province in Canada...a guy with a 4th-grade education - working OT - can make almost 6 figures a year.

BUT...

You do know how cold it gets there right??? It makes Ireland look like the friggin Bahamas in the winter...

Raoul
Great...more Irish in Canada (KIDDING!!! I'm half-Irish, and my mom would beat me with a potatoe if she saw that big grin )

Alberta is the most prosperous province in Canada...a guy with a 4th-grade education - working OT - can make almost 6 figures a year.

BUT...

You do know how cold it gets there right??? It makes Ireland look like the friggin Bahamas in the winter...

laughing out loud

i'm sure i'll manage the weather. it's getting the job that's the hard part...

Enyalus
Millar's Wanted mini is a great short series for any teenage or 20-something male. I think a lot of guys can relate on a personal level to how Wesley felt throughout it.

Disappear
and who doesnt love a villain made out of evil shit?

Enyalus
and who doesnt love a villain made out of evil shit?
laughing out loud Indeed. Or a more retarded version of Superman than Bizarro.

Mindship
1. If someone (with little comic knowledge) expressed an interest in comics, what would you lend to them?

2. Have you lent any comics to newcomers if so, what?

3. What series, comic etc etc got you into reading comics?
1. This really depends on the person. Chances are, a 'little comic knowledge' probably means they would know who Superman, Batman and Spider-Man are, so I might start with that. But again, I'd have to know who I'm dealing with (maybe they'd like 'Archie').

2. Newcomers? No.

3. My older cousins had a lot of pre-crisis Superman and Batman lying around, which I'd read sometimes out of boredom. But what really got me hooked a few years later was Spider-Man, and from there Fantastic Four and Thor.

Battlehammer

If someone (with little comic knowledge) expressed an interest in comics, what would you lend to them?

Have you lent any comics to newcomers if so, what?

some old school mark miller wolverines amoung other wolverines I really enjoyed.

Current series I give them secret warriors which I think is an awosome new run with some oldies and some new characters they could see develope for them selves, as well as new thunder bolts for the same reason

willRules
Secret Warriors and New Thunderbolts are excellent recommendations.

If they are interest in something really mainstream like JLA, however I wouldn't recommend the latest run. I'd probably direct them to Morrison's run yes

willRules
Well the friend I got into comics just had his birthday and had already told me he was starting to get into Green Lantern. So I bought him Secret Origins and at some later stage I'll lend him a couple of other stories from Geoff John's run, like the Sinestro Corps War.

He loved Secret Origins and like me, thinks Ivan Reiss is a genius.

WhoopeeDee
Absolutely NOTHING...let them explore on their own. When I got in to comics I didn't have a road map. When a person is really interested in something they begin practially anywhere. When you give the books you like they may not like them. So it's better for them to do their findings and tastes.

willRules
No offence but that is IMO the worst advice you could give someone starting out in comics. IMO you should ask them what sort of genres they like and go from there.

Galan007
i'd recommend "all-star superman" mainly because in order to understand what's going on, someone wouldn't need to have previously known anything about superman - morrison paints a wonderful *new* picture.

....plus it's one of the best 12 issue series' i have ever read. thumb up

willRules
That's a good recommendation. If I'd read that series before I'd read many other Superman stories, I'd be a much bigger fan of the character than I am today.

psycho gundam
i say start with good ol' spider-man.

just avoid anything with clones.

Endless Mike
Secret Wars, the original

Original Smurph
Indy comics work best.

Y: The Last Man, Fables, Watchmen

Then some good mainstream stuff, then everything else.

willRules
Yeah, he loved Y and Watchmen. As do I yes

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Secret Wars, the original

That was the first trade I ever bought. I even remember picking it up from the shop, pouring over the pages as I casually flipped through the book and having to teach myself to pace out what I read and not devour it all at once........

...good times.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.