KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Newcomers Winner

Newcomers Winner
Started by: willRules

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Newcomers Winner

I recently introduced a friend to the wonderful world of comics and have already lent him several different titles or runs on a series. After a few months of doing this he requested to read DC's Crisis events, which I have now lent him.

I realised that with his reading of the Crisis stories he has crossed the line between casual fan and a much more avid comic reader.

This raises a couple of interesting topics for discussion......

If someone (with little comic knowledge) expressed an interest in comics, what would you lend to them?

Have you lent any comics to newcomers if so, what?

What series, comic etc etc got you into reading comics?

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 08:47 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Re: Newcomers Winner

quote: (post)
Originally posted by willRules
What series, comic etc etc got you into reading comics?

avengers. the original count nefaria arc and the original korvac arcs in particular were unbelieveable to me. i remember i got the korvac issue taken away from me by my teacher in grade school!

damn literacy pirate . . .

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 08:50 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Some of the series I have lent my friend in the past include; Watchmen, Astonishing X-men, Y the last man, Immortal Iron-Fist, Wolverine Origins Umbrella Academy and Ultimates 2.

As someone with a slightly better knowledge than your average man on the street (He loved the JLU cartoon and occasionally kept up with comic news despite not collecting) he, surprisingly preferred the more indie stuff. He loved Y the last man but was slightly more ambivalent with Astonishing X-men (which I loved).

He told me he's slowly wading through the Crisis but I tried to console him with the fact that Geoff Johns rewards DC fans who read Crisis in his run on GL (especially in the Sinestro Corps War).

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 08:54 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Re: Re: Newcomers Winner

Originally posted by leonidas
avengers. the original count nefaria arc and the original korvac arcs in particular were unbelieveable to me. i remember i got the korvac issue taken away from me by my teacher in grade school!

damn literacy pirate . . .

I own a lot of back issues of the Avengers in a British reprint but I stopped buying it and have regretted it as I think I missed those stories.....really wanted to read them mad

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 08:56 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

There isn't a specific comic I would give to someone. It depends too much on the person.

I gave my mother Watchmen after I read it and realized she'd probably have better context for the story that I did. For a boy in middle or high-school I'd probably suggest he read Ultimates 1 and 2. If I knew someone who loved post modernism I'd probably suggest Seven Soldiers. For a person looking for a well developed "traditional" super hero story I'd give them Morrison's JLA or John's JSA.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 08:59 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nihilist

Infinity Gauntlet.

Big thanks to Scythe

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 09:28 PM
Nihilist is currently offline Click here to Send Nihilist a Private Message Find more posts by Nihilist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I always start them with something that has a definite end (no ongoing series), and requires little to no backstory knowledge of characters or events. Usually one of the iconic works by Moore, Watchmen or V. Limited issue series work well too if they like a particular character. Everyone from Deadpool to Surfer has good 4-8 issue self-contained stories that are a good intro to the character.

Originally posted by Nihilist
Infinity Gauntlet.

I can't imagine someone not being lost with this. Not by the story in and of itself, but by the subject material and scope, not to mention the dozens of characters in it. Heck, there was months of buildup to this anyway, in the cosmic books, Thanos books, Surfer, etc. A great story, yes. A starter story, hell no.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 09:53 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nihilist

Originally posted by Digi
I always start them with something that has a definite end (no ongoing series), and requires little to no backstory knowledge of characters or events. Usually one of the iconic works by Moore, Watchmen or V. Limited issue series work well too if they like a particular character. Everyone from Deadpool to Surfer has good 4-8 issue self-contained stories that are a good intro to the character.

I can't imagine someone not being lost with this. Not by the story in and of itself, but by the subject material and scope, not to mention the dozens of characters in it. Heck, there was months of buildup to this anyway, in the cosmic books, Thanos books, Surfer, etc. A great story, yes. A starter story, hell no.
My IG comment was on what got me into reading comics, like what Will asked in his OP.

Big thanks to Scythe

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 10:02 PM
Nihilist is currently offline Click here to Send Nihilist a Private Message Find more posts by Nihilist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i wouldn't give it for all those reasons either. and one more--i didn't think the story was anywhere NEAR "great" . . . erm

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 10:02 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

i wouldn't give it for all those reasons either. and one more--i didn't think the story was anywhere NEAR "great" . . . erm

Ha. Fair enough. I like all of Starlin's old cosmic stuff, and classic Warlock was a pimp.

Originally posted by Nihilist
My IG comment was on what got me into reading comics, like what Will asked in his OP.

That's cool. I'm just saying it's not good starter material.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 10:07 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

It was Bruce Lee that me into reading comic books.. No, not him personally.. I broke my leg when I was 4 and laying in the hospital I read my very first Batman comic..

In the past I have lent out various chris claremont x-men comics. I have lent the Knightfasll saga and I have also lent out various KOTOR comics as well

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 10:10 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

When I got back into comics, I read and re-read the DC Crisis crossovers, GL trades, Secret War, Marvel's Infinity crossovers and some JLA and Avenger trades.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 10:13 PM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Premo
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'd never lend out any of my comics.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 10:28 PM
Premo is currently offline Click here to Send Premo a Private Message Find more posts by Premo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Watchmen

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 11:07 PM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Ha. Fair enough. I like all of Starlin's old cosmic stuff, and classic Warlock was a pimp.

That's cool. I'm just saying it's not good starter material.

oh, i liked starlin's OLD cosmic stuff--the original warlock stuff, the cube storylines, the mar-vell stuff . . . just that with the IG and the remake of thanos from "super-cool-but-not-overpowered" to "nowhere-NEAR-as-cool-and-completely-played-out" is where the "new" starlin stuff really began. smile

and will--you REALLY gotta read those avengers arcs, bro. seriously--still to this day some of the best stuff i've read. wink

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 11:08 PM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Completely agree with this. The first Deadpool comic I picked up was his first solo 4 issue miniseries and it hooked me onto the character.

Even though Marvel's events aren't necessarily designed to be new reader friendly, they tend to attract a lot of new readers due to the fact that they are a mini-series that get a lot of hype from fans. Civil War was a brilliant example of this. It attracted tons of new readers and the sales certainly attest to this. Secret Invasions was similar in that respect.

The downside is, whether the fans enjoyed Civil War or not, it made drastic changes to the MU. However that can only be appreciated with a working knowledge of the MU. It's ironic that the massive events garner new fans because of their hype but are only fully appreciated (and complained about) by those who understand continuity yes

and will--you REALLY gotta read those avengers arcs, bro. seriously--still to this day some of the best stuff i've read. wink

Yeah I'll get round to picking them up in trades at some point. I tend to favour the modern stories but at the moment I'm buying Marvel's pocket book of X-men classics. I'm in love with Claremont's run on X-men. That's true Marvel classics. Once I'm done with that I'm sure I'll check out the Korvac saga yes

Last edited by willRules on Jul 7th, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Old Post Jul 7th, 2009 12:40 AM
theICONiac

PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

Old Post Jul 7th, 2009 12:44 AM
theICONiac is currently offline Click here to Send theICONiac a Private Message Find more posts by theICONiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
There isn't a specific comic I would give to someone. It depends too much on the person.

I gave my mother Watchmen after I read it and realized she'd probably have better context for the story that I did. For a boy in middle or high-school I'd probably suggest he read Ultimates 1 and 2. If I knew someone who loved post modernism I'd probably suggest Seven Soldiers. For a person looking for a well developed "traditional" super hero story I'd give them Morrison's JLA or John's JSA.

Did your Mum enjoy Watchmen?

I can't envision my Mother enjoying any of my comics, with the possible exception of Maus. That's the only thing I can think of in my collection that she would appreciate smile

Old Post Jul 7th, 2009 12:45 AM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Originally posted by theICONiac
PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

PETERDAVIDHULK!!!

Would you recommend it to newcomers who weren't Hulk fans??? The friend I used as an example hates Hulk and so I steered clear of lending him Hulk comics.....

....although I have very few Hulk comics to lend.....

Old Post Jul 7th, 2009 12:46 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by willRules
Did your Mum enjoy Watchmen?

I can't envision my Mother enjoying any of my comics, with the possible exception of Maus. That's the only thing I can think of in my collection that she would appreciate smile

She loved it.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2009 01:17 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote