Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath: Who was the first metal band?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Me? I say Sabbath. Paranoid is one hell of an album.

LZ is heavy in their own right, too, but Iommi's guitar blows Page's out of the water, if you ask me.

RogerRamjet
Iommi's great no doubt but is he better n' Page? **** no!

oh and the first metal band by todays standards was Deep Purple

Impediment
Ritchie Blackmore's guitar, while awesome, cannot overcome Iommi.

The Grey Fox
I don't really think any of the 3 were the first metal band, just the main influences behind the genre. I mean if they're metal bands, you could say the Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Who were, a times at least, metal bands, really, since a lot of their work had similar qualities (with Led Zep and Deep Purple the most). Not to mention The Kink's "You Really Got Me" from 1964, that was also an influence on the sound of metal music.

I think out of the 3 though, Sabbath is probably the closest to the metal music sound we know, but that doesn't make them the overall first, just one of the primary innovators of the sound of it.

Personally, if I really had to name one to be the very first 'metal' band, Steppenwolf get my vote. Their debut came out in 1968 and I think they even coin the phrase 'heavy metal' in "Born To Be Wild".

occultdestroyer
Led Zeppelin is NOT metal.
And so is Deep Purple.

Steppenwolf and Black Sabbath were the true pioneers of Metal.

But the ones who introduced really HEAVY Metal was Judas Priest.

Alpha Centauri
Black Sabbath.

First band to really use that guitar sound, and the tritone I believe.

-AC

MildPossession
Black Sabbath all the way for me, amazing.

I have nearly all their albums on record/vinyl from the 70s thanks to my parents, wonderful. smile

Breast Feeder
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Black Sabbath.

First band to really use that guitar sound, and the tritone I believe.

-AC

The Kinks are credited with the first heavy metal record.

MildPossession
You Really Got Me?

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by Breast Feeder
The Kinks are credited with the first heavy metal record.
They sounded more like hard rock than metal to me.

Ultimate Wil
The first Heavy Metal band ever is Black Sabbath.

LZ are considered Hard Rock, not metal.

Jimmy Page and Toni Iommi hmm Both are good, couldn't choose.

mr.smiley
i gotta go with Sabbath.

As for between Iommi and Page,I think their about equal when it comes to playability,but I would say that Tony created more catchy riffs.

Ultimate Wil
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
And so is Deep Purple.

As you know I'm a giant fan of Judas Priest, and they're one of my favorite bands, but they're not counted to be the first heavy metal band, that's Black Sabbath.

Slay
Originally posted by occultdestroyer
And so is Deep Purple.

Judas Priest is by no stretch of the imagination the first heavy metal band. They weren't considered to be part of the 'NEW wave of British Heavy Metal' for nothing.

I'd consider Sabbath to be the first heavy metal BAND. Bands like the Beatles (Helter Skelter), or the Kinks ( You Really Got Me) released some pretty heavy tracks for that time, but I wouldn't say they're heavy meta bands. Blue Cheer could be a contender for the title as well though.

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by Slay
Judas Priest is by no stretch of the imagination the first heavy metal band. They weren't considered to be part of the 'NEW wave of British Heavy Metal' for nothing.

I'd consider Sabbath to be the first heavy metal BAND. Bands like the Beatles (Helter Skelter), or the Kinks ( You Really Got Me) released some pretty heavy tracks for that time, but I wouldn't say they're heavy meta bands. Blue Cheer could be a contender for the title as well though.
Did I say Judas Priest was the first heavy metal band?

Read before you post.

Judas Priest made metal heavier than it already was.

wicker_man
Sabbath, Priest and Purple definitely had the riffs, bass and drums for what could be considered the blueprints for metal as did Zeppelin and to some extent so did the Kinks - for me You Really Got Me is one of the first metal song prototypes (flame away) but it had everything; the solo, the breakdowns and even the howls of Ray Davies could be attributed to an early forerunner for peeps like Gillan, Halford, Dickinson, Osbourne and pretty much every singer with a broad range of notes that's come out of the woodwork since.

However if you want to see where more conventional metal came from i.e. harsh vocals - and I don't mean just cookie monster growls a la Cannibal Corpse & Deicide etc but everything from Metallica's James Hetfield to Celtic Frost's Thomas Gabriel Fischer than look no further than Motorhead or Venom. (Even though Lemmy considers Motorhead Rock 'n' Roll)

jinXed by JaNx
%

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by wicker_man

However if you want to see where more conventional metal came from i.e. harsh vocals - and I don't mean just cookie monster growls a la Cannibal Corpse & Deicide etc but everything from Metallica's James Hetfield to Celtic Frost's Thomas Gabriel Fischer than look no further than Motorhead or Venom. (Even though Lemmy considers Motorhead Rock 'n' Roll)
Motorhead is hard rock, just like contemporary bands like System Of A Down.

Jim Colyer
John Lennon said that "Ticket To Ride" was the first metal song. So The Beatles started the genre.

wicker_man
Originally posted by Jim Colyer
John Lennon said that "Ticket To Ride" was the first metal song. So The Beatles started the genre.

And he also said the Beatles are bigger than Jesus, but somehow I don't see this in todays society. After having listeined to 'Ticket To Ride' I still stand by my original statement that metal owes more to the Kinks 'You Really Got Me'.

jaden101
Originally posted by Jim Colyer

Of course anyone who's bothered to listen to the song will realise he was talking absolute balls (as he almost always did)

bogen
Ok, LZ are credited with the first "metal riff" .
wanton song, Physical graffiti.

But they've also shown significant "metal themed" work in some of their other stuff.
Stuff like ; Custard pie, Sick again. both from that album.
Songs like Bring it on home with that heavy guitar riff mixed with the harmonica may be heavy for the day and sure, they influenced metal but it's not metal.

Black sabbath on the otherhand.... BLACK SABBATH...most metal name there is.
Most metal band there is.

Oh and page is better than that other guy. wink

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Impediment

Iommi's guitar blows Page's out of the water, if you ask me.

You're insane

Impediment
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
You're insane

Apples and oranges, sir.

Blinky
In my opinion Black Sabbath was the first band to write songs that had little to none blues influence. Sure Black Sabbath has obvious blues influences but listen to tracks like Symptom of The Universe or Into the Void, you'll clearly see that that is harder and faster than anything played at the time. They were the first to create HARD rock, Metal - as some people call it. Iomi was the first to down-tune his guitar and use scales that people associated with Satan himself.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
You're insane

In terms of who was better Page or Iomi... I'd say Iomi. He played guitar like a f*cking demon, just try to play an Iomi solo. Plus he was a great innovator, C# tuning, low bass distortion, demonic scales unheard in rock at the time. It's not insane to think Iomi is better, becuase if he was not #1 during those days, he was definately # 2.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Blinky
In my opinion Black Sabbath was the first band to write songs that had little to none blues influence. Sure Black Sabbath has obvious blues influences but listen to tracks like Symptom of The Universe or Into the Void, you'll clearly see that that is harder and faster than anything played at the time. They were the first to create HARD rock, Metal - as some people call it. Iomi was the first to down-tune his guitar and use scales that people associated with Satan himself.

In terms of who was better Page or Iomi... I'd say Iomi. He played guitar like a f*cking demon, just try to play an Iomi solo. Plus he was a great innovator, C# tuning, low bass distortion, demonic scales unheard in rock at the time. It's not insane to think Iomi is better, becuase if he was not #1 during those days, he was definately # 2.

I guess it is apples and oranges but i just can't see how anyone can believe that Iomi was more innovative than Page. Have you heard Led Zeppelin stick out tongue just fookin with ya but yeah, Page is definitely the man here.

lord xyz
I think Black, Purple and Led are all the first. They all formed in '68, so I will have to say all 3 of them.

Like a trio of metal bands. Led Zeppelin though, are more like their own genre, if you ask me.

Bidoof Luvr399
Jimmy page hates bidoofs. Iommi loves bidoofs. Do the math, bidoofs are through the roof.

Darth Jello
Isn't Helter Skelter considered the first metal song? Wouldn't that make the Beatles the first metal band?

lord xyz
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Isn't Helter Skelter considered the first metal song? Wouldn't that make the Beatles the first metal band? Should be first metal album.

wicker_man
Isn't Helter Skelter considered the first metal song? Wouldn't that make the Beatles the first metal band?

This isn't another case of John Lennon saying so is it?

Anyways you only have to listein to Sabbath to see their pivotal position in the birth of metal.

Darth Jello
John wouldn't since Paul wrote the song.

wicker_man
John wouldn't since Paul wrote the song.

That does suprise me, no wait it doesn't.
I stand by my original statement listein and compare both self titles and it would be evident which one is owed more homage to laying the foundations of the metal genre.

lord xyz
Led Zeppelin is the first.

They released "Led Zepellin" before Black Sabbath released "Black Sabbath".

Both are heavy metal albums, but Led Zeppelin came first.

So, problem solved, right?

Alpha Centauri
Led Zeppelin laid the foundation for heavier music, Sabbath created metal.

-AC

NemeBro
A few bands earlier than both could be argued to have done Heavy Metal music before both, like Iron Butterfly, but between both Black Sabbath are probably more relevant to the current genre of Heavy Metal, although Judas Priest are largely responsible for discarding much of the genre's Blues influence.

Darth Jello
I'm not sure that muting the bass drum with a towel makes you metal. I Need You was more or less the first mainstream use of a wah-wah pedal. Does that make the Beatles the first funk band?

Blinky
I'm not sure that muting the bass drum with a towel makes you metal. I Need You was more or less the first mainstream use of a wah-wah pedal. Does that make the Beatles the first funk band?

Muted bass drums? Where'd that come from? Trying to be funny ?

Darth Jello
I thought Ticket to Ride was the first documented case of a band stuffing towels in their bass drum to created a muted, heavier sound. That, and a droning bass are the only things that stylistically separate Ticket to Ride from everything else on HELP!

lord xyz
Led Zeppelin laid the foundation for heavier music, Sabbath created metal.

-AC Well then.

Mix them together, you get heavy metal.

Alpha Centauri
Metal is heavy metal.

It's a shortened term for the genre of heavy metal. Metal, by definition, is heavy.

-AC

lord xyz
Wait, so what the hell is Led Zeppelin, "heavy rock"?

Eaea
Black Sabbath is it, Zeppelin did many things great, but defining metal wasn't really one.

AsbestosFlaygon
Led Zeppelin ISN'T even Metal.

They're hard rock... I repeat: HARD ROCK.
Very, very different.

This comparison is like,
System of a Down or KoRn: Which one is a better metal band?

System of a Down ISN'T metal.. It's a HARD ROCK band.
So why would you compare SoaD to KoRn in the first place??
Same applies with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.

Maybe next someone makes a thread,
Taylor Swift or Kanye West: Which one is a better rapper?

Alpha Centauri
System of a Down are and have always been a metal band.

If you listen to their self-titled, Toxicity, Steal This Album etc and hear hard rock (Led Zeppelin style) as opposed to metal; you need a hearing test.

-AC

AsbestosFlaygon
System of a Down are and have always been a metal band.

If you listen to their self-titled, Toxicity, Steal This Album etc and hear hard rock (Led Zeppelin style) as opposed to metal; you need a hearing test.

-AC
No, they're not.

In DVD interviews, Serj explicitly states that they are a Hard Rock band.

Just because the guitar work is similar to Metal, doesn't make it necessarily Metal..

Modern Hard Rock is generally louder and more distorted than Classic Heavy Metal.

Try listening to Lordi ~ Hard Rock Hallelujah..

In the 60's/70's, Lordi would be considered Heavy Metal..
But in contemporary music, they're just a hard rock band..

Same with SoaD.. They never were Metal.. Serj even said it himself, so there should never be any doubt.

Blinky
This ^ is where the excessive labeling of music get us...

AsbestosFlaygon
Look.

Post-Hardcore bands are even louder than Classic Heavy Metal nowadays no expression

Metal has evolved to become more distorted and louder than its predecessors.
Hard Rock also became louder.

For example, Heaven Shall Burn is louder and a lot more brutal than Metallica. No contest.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
No, they're not.

In DVD interviews, Serj explicitly states that they are a Hard Rock band.

Just because the guitar work is similar to Metal, doesn't make it necessarily Metal..

Modern Hard Rock is generally louder and more distorted than Classic Heavy Metal.

Try listening to Lordi ~ Hard Rock Hallelujah..

In the 60's/70's, Lordi would be considered Heavy Metal..
But in contemporary music, they're just a hard rock band..

Same with SoaD.. They never were Metal.. Serj even said it himself, so there should never be any doubt.

Yes, yes they are.

Find me Serj stating that they are hard rock.

Regardless, Avril Lavigne once called herself a rock musician. She never has been.

System of a Down were one of the primary metal bands of the late '90s and early '00s.

You have no clue what you're on about.

-AC

Blinky
Look.

Post-Hardcore bands are even louder than Classic Heavy Metal nowadays no expression

Metal has evolved to become more distorted and louder than its predecessors.
Hard Rock also became louder.

For example, Heaven Shall Burn is louder and a lot more brutal than Metallica. No contest.

You're making about as much sense as Charlie Brown's teacher.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Blinky
You're making about as much sense as Charlie Brown's teacher.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the difference between classic metal and modern metal.

Metal is indeed metal, but modern metal is louder than classic metal.

The Devil Wears Prada VS Immortal... which one is louder?
Killswitch Engage VS Dimmu Borgir... which one is louder?
Job For A Cowboy VS Black Sabbath... which one is louder?

Blinky
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the difference between classic metal and modern metal.

You're so awesome. A music guru is among us.

Alpha Centauri

Who actually cares what's louder?

What matters is what's metal. System of a Down were always a metal band. Less so in recent years, but still very arguably a metal band.

At the very least they are alternative metal, in the way The Cure are alternative rock.

It's metal, just not as it's commonly known.

-AC

Darth Jello
Here's a thought. Weren't the Sonics the first metal band?

yesac2015
im not a huge fan of black sabbath idk y i like probably 3 or 4 songs i say led zeppelin is way better then sabbath and im sorry for those who say zeppelin is not metal its hard rock shut up they r basicly the same thing now if u would have sed like the killers is metal or hard rock yes i would say that isnt metal or hard rock its indie or whatever

Blinky
Originally posted by yesac2015
im not a huge fan of black sabbath idk y i like probably 3 or 4 songs i say led zeppelin is way better then sabbath and im sorry for those who say zeppelin is not metal its hard rock shut up they r basicly the same thing now if u would have sed like the killers is metal or hard rock yes i would say that isnt metal or hard rock its indie or whatever

... very insightful...

That ACDC Chick
Black Sabbath

Sadako of Girth
I love both bands.

But as for who was metal, between them? Its definitely Sabbath.

They were first to get in the and start using the root -to-flattened 5th progression in an overt manner and evil sounding Iommi riffs and with Ozzy singing songs about horror, whereas Led Zeppelin were like a blues band with an energetic and complex firecracker up its ass, with Plant singing about getting laid and typical blues subjects with a bit of myth/legend thrown in. Zep were nowhere near as heavy as Sabbath.

The entire feel difference is obvious.

Slay
I personally never really understand why this is an issue. I never considered Led Zeppelin as very 'metal'. They have more in common with progressive rock than they do with metal. Sabbath on the other hand were very 'doom' (I know, useless subgenres, blah, blah) and always had a lot heavier riffs and thematics.

MrMind
if we compare who's more "metal", black sabbath. but they are both more based of blues.
so IMOI first metal band was judas priest,

Darth Jello
I still feel like (just like punk) there's gotta be an earlier band. I mean who fits? The Stooges? The Sonics? The MC5? The Kingsmen? The Kinks? Iron Butterfly? The Beatles? The Stones?

If we're going by riffing, wouldn't that make Cliff Richard And The Shadows the first metal band back in 1958?

Blinky
Everybody knows it was Sabbath, people who deny this are just biased Zeppelin fan-boys.

Headbangersball
Ok I read some good things here but I can tell you from my being there as I'm 46 years old as to how the two ( Rock vs Metal) became as they are in the general sense.Lets say Rock Music in the 60's was an onion.You know layers etc.Rock was one big genre with Jerry Lee Lewis,Elvis,The Who,Beatles,Rolling Stones and many more.Hendrix began to seperate those layers in a sense.However Sabbath "split" the onion to begin the path of metal as we know it in which it is a seperate genre to itself.

Hard Rock is headbanging party slammin music that grabs your soul and says lets have a good time. Metal pierces your soul and takes you down a path of euphoria in a sense.Now these terms are only to get you thinking,that's all.Right after sabbath you had Iron Maiden,Motorhead,Priest,Scorpions and many others who helped to shape and form metal as it is today but Zepplin was never metal in it's truest form as a whole ever.They have a few songs which blur Rock and Metal but so do many other bands like Rush's 2112 album,Thin Lizzy's first album,Ted Nugents early stuff and Kiss early stuff Deep Purple (as a side note :Richie Blackmores Rainbow was more metal than Deep Purple) but they are all Hard Rock like AC/DC and many others.Metal is Sabbath,Metallica early days,Iron Maiden,Slayer,Pantera,Judas Priest Helloween,Sepultura Dio etc etc etc .I know their are typos but who cares.AND FOR THE RECORD,NONE OF THE GLAM ROCK BANDS OF THE 80'S AND 90'S ARE OR EVER WERE METAL.AKA Van Halen,Crue Guns and Roses and those types.tHEY ARE HOWEVER A GREAT hARD rOCK GENRE THAT ARE ALL ABOUT HEADBANGING AND EMOTIONAL THINKING WHERE AS METAL IS (TO STEAL SOMEONES ANALOGY HERE ) METAL IS LORD OF THE RINGS ,THE SOUND IS METAPHORS OF SWORDS IN BATTLE. I'm sure this whole thing I wrote can get nitpicked to death but the spirit in which I wrote it is correct.Their are a few new bands that are mainstream popular that are metal influenced but a sun genre of metal like disturbed,korn to name a couple but metal has become it's own onion of layers now but a true music fan of both Hard Rock and Heavy Metal as they are called know the difference.For example,if I was making a mixed cd.I'd put system of a down,disturbed and korn on a cd but I'd put godsmack on a different cd.I really like them all but they dont go together...JUST MY OPINION but I've been into " Rock and Metal since I was a kid and I'm 47 next month and was influenced by many talented artists .

Headbangersball
p.s.

in reference to Iomi vs Page. I would have to say both are equally talented however due to the styles of music it is an unfair comparison.The style of Metal allows Iomi to showcase more of his talent then the style of music Page plays.Roy Clark is better than both of them talentwise but due to the style of music,he was overlooked in 95% of any top 50 greatest guitarist lists anywhere.However if you read magazines about guitar players,many of the "top" guitarists will always include Roy Clark in the discussion themselves yet in his genre people think of chet Atkins and not Roy.Roy Clark invented chords in the 50's and could play any instrument with strings as a master of all.A majority of people have never even heard of Frank Marino or perhaps Robin Trower but both are equally as good at the guitar.Frank Marino was billed as the next Jimi Hendrix in his early dayshe was so good.

Deano
black sabbath

next

Headbangersball
black sabbath

shokosugi
Sabbath = Heavy Metal

LZ = Hard Rock

AsbestosFlaygon
Neither.

The first metal band is arguably Blue Cheer.

shokosugi
Black Sabbath = heavy metal

Led Zep = hard rock

Rolling Stone = rock

Beatles = GOD

wicker_man
Originally posted by shokosugi
Black Sabbath = heavy metal

Led Zep = hard rock

Rolling Stone = rock

Beatles = GOD

Nope you'll find the Beatles are just another band. In the same way as Sabbath, Zeppelin and the Stones are. True they all offered something to music but they are all just bands; to place any band on such pedestals is just laughable and prone to criticism.

Slay
Nope you'll find the Beatles are just another band. In the same way as Sabbath, Zeppelin and the Stones are. True they all offered something to music but they are all just bands; to place any band on such pedestals is just laughable and prone to criticism.
yoN6XfyQsr4

wicker_man
Originally posted by Slay
yoN6XfyQsr4

One of my favourite songs, I mean where can you get a song that you'll agree with pretty much every lyric - still trying to get my head around the ..."though shall not judge Lethal Weapon by Danny Glover" though.

Darth Jello
Well if we extrapolate this to ridiculous levels we could say that Eddie Cochran and Richie Valence invented both metal and punk in 1957 but I'll agree that yeah, Blue Cheer's Vincebus Eruptum was the first metal record back in 1968.

And for the sake of building more argument, 1964's Here Are The Sonics is the first punk record, The Bad Brains' Pay To Cum, The Middle Class' Out Of Vogue, and Black Flag's Nervous Breakdown were all the first Hardcore records, all coming out around the same time in 1979, and The Wiper's Better Off Dead was the first grunge record back in 1978.

shokosugi

WRONG

bosshoggy
Led Zeppelin were never a heavy metal band. they started off as an extremely loud blues rock just as cream(who's own heaviness is actually extremely underacknowled these days)had done before them, but as they developed their own sound they actually included more acoustic elements into their music and experimented with american roots music(folk, blues, bluegrass, boogie woogie, rockabilly) contemporary popular music like funk(ie the crunge) and world music(ie kashmir). The closest thing they ever did to metal was achilles last stand, but it wasn't metal.

Black Sabbath on the other hand was "demonic" and menacing from the very start. they wrote the first metal songs and put them on the first album(Black Sabbath(featuring the infamous tritone, and metal's central figure, satan), The Wizard, and N.I.B); followed it by the archetypal heavy metal album of all time(Paranoid), and then after Tony Iommi detuned his guitar(another of metal's most important cornerstones that can be traced directly to the originator) put out 4 of the heaviest albums of all time writing the blueprint for stoner rock and the extreme subgenre doom metal. oh yeah, they invented thrash too (symptom of the universe) 2 full years before the punk rock movement. every metal riff ever written is directly traceable to black sabbath-they're the same chord progressions, Tony Iommi literally wrote the goddamn code! anyone who disagrees is just kidding themselves. blue cheer and deep purple et al all had metallic elements in their rock but they went their own different paths, influencing the genre with their stylings, but the bare bones of metal had long long been established by the sabs.

knight
It was The Kinks in 1964.. but it all started much earlyer than that in the 1950's when The Kinks guitar player Dave Davies, at the age of 8 invented Guitar Distortion, by using his mother's knitting neidles to pock holes in his amplifier speaker.

If it had not been for him there would be no Black Sabbath, Metallica or anyone who uses distortion after The Kinks.

Some people may not have even been born at all.

Originally posted by The Grey Fox
I don't really think any of the 3 were the first metal band, just the main influences behind the genre. I mean if they're metal bands, you could say the Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Who were, a times at least, metal bands, really, since a lot of their work had similar qualities (with Led Zep and Deep Purple the most). Not to mention The Kink's "You Really Got Me" from 1964, that was also an influence on the sound of metal music.

shokosugi
Black Sabbath = first metal band

Led Zeppelin = first hard rock band

wicker_man
Originally posted by shokosugi
WRONG

So music didn't exist before the Beatles and they made contempary music on a whim???

Atok Rock
The Tilman Brothers is a early band before The Beetles exist..They are from indonesia and stay in holland..they starting in 1945..early than all famous band in the world..one of their skill is play guitar with leg, teeth and many skill they start create..what are you see from now guitarist was played by The Tilman Brothers early..hahahaha

Atok Rock
This is prooved

Atok Rock
One of the skill from them..before jimmy hendric and all guitarist skill..hahahaha so sad many people of the world dont know the early history rock and roll band and skill exist..king of rock n roll people just know elvis presley..but the early band and skillfull people dont know..The Tielman Brothers is a pioneer of rock n roll and musician skill..elvis start in early 1950, but Tielman start in middle 1940.. tq..hahahahaha america just wanna to put they are the pioneer and 1st in the world..but so sad and fake for them, becoz indonesia, asean player is the 1st legend of rock..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.