KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath: Who was the first metal band?

Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath: Who was the first metal band?
Started by: Impediment

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Impediment
Endless

Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath: Who was the first metal band?

Me? I say Sabbath. Paranoid is one hell of an album.

LZ is heavy in their own right, too, but Iommi's guitar blows Page's out of the water, if you ask me.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 12:52 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RogerRamjet
Playground Superstar

Iommi's great no doubt but is he better n' Page? **** no!

oh and the first metal band by todays standards was Deep Purple

Sig by Scy!

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 04:36 AM
RogerRamjet is currently offline Click here to Send RogerRamjet a Private Message Find more posts by RogerRamjet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Ritchie Blackmore's guitar, while awesome, cannot overcome Iommi.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 06:37 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Grey Fox
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't really think any of the 3 were the first metal band, just the main influences behind the genre. I mean if they're metal bands, you could say the Jimi Hendrix Experience and The Who were, a times at least, metal bands, really, since a lot of their work had similar qualities (with Led Zep and Deep Purple the most). Not to mention The Kink's "You Really Got Me" from 1964, that was also an influence on the sound of metal music.

I think out of the 3 though, Sabbath is probably the closest to the metal music sound we know, but that doesn't make them the overall first, just one of the primary innovators of the sound of it.

Personally, if I really had to name one to be the very first 'metal' band, Steppenwolf get my vote. Their debut came out in 1968 and I think they even coin the phrase 'heavy metal' in "Born To Be Wild".

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 06:55 AM
The Grey Fox is currently offline Click here to Send The Grey Fox a Private Message Find more posts by The Grey Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Led Zeppelin is NOT metal.
And so is Deep Purple.

Steppenwolf and Black Sabbath were the true pioneers of Metal.

But the ones who introduced really HEAVY Metal was Judas Priest.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Jul 26th, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 10:16 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Black Sabbath.

First band to really use that guitar sound, and the tritone I believe.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 01:56 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Black Sabbath all the way for me, amazing.

I have nearly all their albums on record/vinyl from the 70s thanks to my parents, wonderful. smile

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 03:26 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Breast Feeder
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Black Sabbath.

First band to really use that guitar sound, and the tritone I believe.

-AC

The Kinks are credited with the first heavy metal record.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 03:41 PM
Breast Feeder is currently offline Click here to Send Breast Feeder a Private Message Find more posts by Breast Feeder Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

You Really Got Me?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 03:48 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Originally posted by Breast Feeder
The Kinks are credited with the first heavy metal record.

They sounded more like hard rock than metal to me.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 04:11 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

The first Heavy Metal band ever is Black Sabbath.

LZ are considered Hard Rock, not metal.

Jimmy Page and Toni Iommi Both are good, couldn't choose.

Starlock Rocks at Making Sigs...Judas Priest is Back!

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 04:38 PM
Ultimate Wil is currently offline Click here to Send Ultimate Wil a Private Message Find more posts by Ultimate Wil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mr.smiley

i gotta go with Sabbath.

As for between Iommi and Page,I think their about equal when it comes to playability,but I would say that Tony created more catchy riffs.

http://soundcloud.com/pytt-1

Old Post Jul 28th, 2009 06:22 PM
mr.smiley is currently offline Click here to Send mr.smiley a Private Message Find more posts by mr.smiley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

Originally posted by occultdestroyer
And so is Deep Purple.

As you know I'm a giant fan of Judas Priest, and they're one of my favorite bands, but they're not counted to be the first heavy metal band, that's Black Sabbath.

Starlock Rocks at Making Sigs...Judas Priest is Back!

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 02:07 PM
Ultimate Wil is currently offline Click here to Send Ultimate Wil a Private Message Find more posts by Ultimate Wil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Originally posted by occultdestroyer
And so is Deep Purple.

Judas Priest is by no stretch of the imagination the first heavy metal band. They weren't considered to be part of the 'NEW wave of British Heavy Metal' for nothing.

I'd consider Sabbath to be the first heavy metal BAND. Bands like the Beatles (Helter Skelter), or the Kinks ( You Really Got Me) released some pretty heavy tracks for that time, but I wouldn't say they're heavy meta bands. Blue Cheer could be a contender for the title as well though.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 02:51 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Originally posted by Slay
Judas Priest is by no stretch of the imagination the first heavy metal band. They weren't considered to be part of the 'NEW wave of British Heavy Metal' for nothing.

I'd consider Sabbath to be the first heavy metal BAND. Bands like the Beatles (Helter Skelter), or the Kinks ( You Really Got Me) released some pretty heavy tracks for that time, but I wouldn't say they're heavy meta bands. Blue Cheer could be a contender for the title as well though.

Did I say Judas Priest was the first heavy metal band?

Read before you post.

Judas Priest made metal heavier than it already was.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 05:45 PM
wicker_man
V.2

Sabbath, Priest and Purple definitely had the riffs, bass and drums for what could be considered the blueprints for metal as did Zeppelin and to some extent so did the Kinks - for me You Really Got Me is one of the first metal song prototypes (flame away) but it had everything; the solo, the breakdowns and even the howls of Ray Davies could be attributed to an early forerunner for peeps like Gillan, Halford, Dickinson, Osbourne and pretty much every singer with a broad range of notes that's come out of the woodwork since.

However if you want to see where more conventional metal came from i.e. harsh vocals - and I don't mean just cookie monster growls a la Cannibal Corpse & Deicide etc but everything from Metallica's James Hetfield to Celtic Frost's Thomas Gabriel Fischer than look no further than Motorhead or Venom. (Even though Lemmy considers Motorhead Rock 'n' Roll)

That's NUMBERWANG!!!

Old Post Aug 11th, 2009 02:11 PM
wicker_man is currently offline Click here to Send wicker_man a Private Message Find more posts by wicker_man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

%

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Aug 14th, 2009 at 01:47 AM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2009 01:42 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Originally posted by wicker_man

However if you want to see where more conventional metal came from i.e. harsh vocals - and I don't mean just cookie monster growls a la Cannibal Corpse & Deicide etc but everything from Metallica's James Hetfield to Celtic Frost's Thomas Gabriel Fischer than look no further than Motorhead or Venom. (Even though Lemmy considers Motorhead Rock 'n' Roll)

Motorhead is hard rock, just like contemporary bands like System Of A Down.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2009 05:16 AM
Jim Colyer
Restricted

Account Restricted

John Lennon said that "Ticket To Ride" was the first metal song. So The Beatles started the genre.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2009 12:30 AM
Jim Colyer is currently offline Click here to Send Jim Colyer a Private Message Find more posts by Jim Colyer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wicker_man
V.2

Originally posted by Jim Colyer
John Lennon said that "Ticket To Ride" was the first metal song. So The Beatles started the genre.

And he also said the Beatles are bigger than Jesus, but somehow I don't see this in todays society. After having listeined to 'Ticket To Ride' I still stand by my original statement that metal owes more to the Kinks 'You Really Got Me'.

That's NUMBERWANG!!!

Old Post Aug 16th, 2009 01:08 PM
wicker_man is currently offline Click here to Send wicker_man a Private Message Find more posts by wicker_man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote