MARVEL OFFERS RETAILERS COMICS FOR COMICS (DC comics)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Vicious

Scythe
I heard about this, and laughed. Seems dumb.

willRules
Marvel are using cheap tactics to garner public interest. It's really pathetic and it just seems like Marvel are bitter because DC have done really well with titles like Blackest Night. I generally tend to favour Marvel but this stinks of sour grapes.

I say people should hit them where it hurts. Make February a Non-Marvel month. Buy a DC or other title instead of a Marvel for the Month of Feb and watch Marvel sales plummet in the diamond sales report whilst the retailers retain the same amount of sales.

Don't Make Mine Marvel!

Deadline
Originally posted by Scythe
I heard about this, and laughed. Seems dumb.

I think they're just trying to show DC whos boss.

Originally posted by Darth Vicious

they seem to be singling (sp?) out DC.

**** em.

WickedDynamite
Thus the evil Reign of Disney/Marvel begins to show it's ugly face in the comic book industry.

*does not partcipate*

JakeTheBank
LMAO, what a douche move by Joephisto and company.

I could give a shit about ultra rare variants (I only get them for select issues), but to each their own. Instead of trying to crap all over DC why don't they just instead promote Seige and their other events under their own steam?

Alpha Centauri
Siege doesn't need promotion, it's sold out.

Whether it's good or bad, the promotion obviously worked.

I.T.T: Nobody who grasps economics.

DC aren't losing anything, nor are they above marketing ploys to try boosting sales ahead of competition.

They offered rings with selected issues and most of the issues they offered them with were shit. The only issue that sold well despite the offer was the Blackest Night one.

Most people who don't even read those series' bought the comics for the rings.

On top of that, go look at sales estimates. The month prior, I believe, Booster Gold (One of the eligible titles) was around 21 thousand, dropping and with no rise in sight. As a result, there is no reason whatsoever to believe that those over-ordered copies will ever sell.

As my comic store retailer friend said:

"DC came up with something creative with the ring thing. Something fresh and new. It generated excitement and got mid-to-low selling titles into shops that chose to participate in order to make the collectible rings available. And like I said before, there was no wrong way to handle the rings. For a store to ask that the customer buy the book assigned to the particular ring was not unreasonable. What we did at Acme was give away 1 ring to every customer bringing in two cans of food that we gave to the Greensboro Urban Ministry. Even though we got the rings all at once, we released the rings basically every other weekend and have collected to date well over 1,200lbs of food that went straight to people who needed it. So cool. People have been extremely generous and supportive of this idea. And plenty of people have indeed bought the tie in books that they normally would not have. BUT, bottom line, we have books that we're never gonna sell. And Marvel Comics have one month on the sales charts that is all wonky because of DC's gimmick, which to be fair, was a good gimmick. However the sales charts reflect something that is not based upon the content of the books themselves. The sales results are based upon an incentive beyond what impact is felt by variants.

So, I guess someone over at Marvel had enough though and came up with this promotion which is equally crafty. Its not like they're asking for copies of random DC's they're asking for the specific series that artificially inflated DC's sales numbers. Marvel is offering taking the product that has super-saturated my market and will not sell, and they're giving me a special variant cover featuring a character that people will buy. This shows that Marvel remembers that comic shops, all small businesses in a difficult economy, cannot send back unsold product for full or even partial refunds. Marvel remembers that it doesn't work that way and came up with something to make them look like saviors, win support with shops who can participate (shops that didn't participate in the ring releases or sold the books with the ring may not be able to take advantage of the 50 copy requirement), and stuck it to DC. Hard and publicly. Its escalation, its underhanded, and I LOVE IT! Competition is a good thing. This is totally something I would have come up with from my 'I Didn't Know We Couldn't Do That' Playbook.".

If you don't know the story, don't write the blurb.

If DC did this, someone would have to type your replies for most of you because you'd already be lubing up the pom poms.

One of the reasons wrestling is shit is because there's no competition now. If Marvel and DC continue to push each other then the only people who win are the readers.

I'm interested in whoever will give me great comics. I don't wish bad on Marvel or DC, or any company. I hope they all do well and keep providing me with shit I like to read.

This company loyalty bs is dumb. Get over it.

-AC

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
LMAO, what a douche move by Joephisto and company.

More like Mickey and Joephisto. This is JUST like the South Park Episode when Mickey beats up the Jonas Brothers lolz!

Here are few more responses from the comic book community on this insulting and lower than slime move by Shit Comics....err...I mean...Disney Comics....oops!...I meant Marvel Comics.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/01/14/retailers-weigh-in-on-marvels-comics-for-comics-promotion/

Shot out to Meltdown Comics! w000t!

Eat Shit Marvel

Alpha Centauri
"Eat Shit Marvel", "Shit Comics"?

Not only am I baffled that the best you could do is THAT, but I do often wonder if the crushing shame of how a man your ages acts keeps you awake at night. Almost a decade older than me and my younger nephew offers greater examples of maturity. Odd.

Admittedly it IS baiting, but even I wouldn't reduce myself to looking like a tool in a Fisher Price box.

Disney also had nothing to do with this. Are you genuinely here to troll or debate this topic?

-AC

JakeTheBank
I'm not loyal to any one company. I'm loyal to comics, period. This ploy just seems a bit ridiculous and like others have said, a case of jealousy and sour grapes over Blackest Night. Why not offer their own titles as collateral?

My own local comic store thinks the move is in bad taste, and judging from these responses, many other retailers feel the same way. It's creative though.

WickedDynamite
It's a filthy and dirty thing to do but coming from Disney/Marvel...what else would one expect?

I call my local shop (Golden Apple Comics) and they also have some negatives. Marvel have always have good sales but this time is showing how terrible winners they're becoming.

thumb down

Alpha Centauri
There's literally nothing filthy or dirty about it, why are you taking this so personally? Also, why are you tagging Disney's name onto everything? It's not them, they're not involved in this.

Are you psychologically trying to make this a negative of the Disney/Marvel merge? Because that'd be a filthy and dirty debate tactic.

I don't get your personal investment. Did Joe Quesada not call you back? Did he hit 'n' quit Mr. WickedDynamite? Is that what it is?

I'm not loyal to any one company. I'm loyal to comics, period. This ploy just seems a bit ridiculous and like others have said, a case of jealousy and sour grapes over Blackest Night. Why not offer their own titles as collateral?

My own local comic store thinks the move is in bad taste, and judging from these responses, many other retailers feel the same way. It's creative though.

Because it's competition.

As I said, many people here would be loving it if DC pulled this on Marvel, and if they say they wouldn't then they're utter liars.

It's not low, it's not jealousy, it's business.

DC artificially boosted their sales of comics that weren't selling (Because they were shit) with the addition of rings as an extra incentive. Where do you draw the line? It's only ok if your underhanded tactics involve your own product?

Besides, Marvel have lots of issues that literally sell out at the moment, so it's hardly jealousy. Deadpool alone has three on-goings, two of them sell out with almost every other issue.

It's not illegal and not EVERYONE is against it, it's just a surprising move that can ADMITTEDLY look underhanded on the surface. On closer inspection there are a lot of financial and practical reasons why this benefits people.

It hurts nobody except people who have emotionally invested themselves in this like it's a blood feud, WD for example. It's not personal, even between the companies. So unless you work for DC, I don't see how anyone's bothered.

The irony is that people are saying: "STOP BUYING MARVEL! LET'S SHOW 'EM! LET'S BUY MORE DC!" when half of you don't even pay for comics normally.

You're going to boost DC's numbers artificially because Marvel did something to hit back at DC trying to boost their numbers...artificially?

Geniuses, the lot of you.

-AC

Deadline
Man whatever.

WickedDynamite
I know what I'm going to do....I'm going to send 50 or my old worthless Marvel Comics to the address:

James Nausedas
Marvel Entertainment, LLC
417 Fifth Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10016

With a note saying "Here are 50 of your shitty comics....you can KEEP your rare Siege #3 Deadpool Variant...we don't want YOUR CRAP in my collection!"

Hahaha...as a matter of fact...I may even make a video.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Deadline
Man whatever.

It went from: "F*ck 'em." to "Man, whatever." as soon as you realised you didn't have a clue what you were on about.

You need to do research on things like this, or you end up looking really, really foolish.

-AC

Deadline
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It went from: "F*ck 'em." to "Man, whatever." as soon as you realised you didn't have a clue what you were on about.

You need to do research on things like this, or you end up looking really, really foolish.

-AC

You really need to lighten up. erm

WickedDynamite
Deadline didn't use the F word anywhere near his post. That's just stupid slander. He did edit his post but nothing offensive. This needs to STOP!

Alpha Centauri
1) He said "**** 'em".

Censored or not, that's what he said.

2) That's actually the most hypocrisy I've ever seen.

You spam this forum with so much anti-Marvel sentiment that it's honestly so strong I could wear it as cologne. It needs to stop NOW that I've provided info that means you were all talking nonsense about something you had no clue of?

That's like starting a fight then calling the cops.

You really need to lighten up. erm

Ok, I am now wearing a party hat.

Now we both look silly. Happy?

-AC

H. S. 6
I'm all for the competition. Capitalism at its finest, folks.

Deadline
1) He said "**** 'em".

Censored or not, that's what he said.

2) That's actually the most hypocrisy I've ever seen.

You spam this forum with so much anti-Marvel sentiment that it's honestly so strong I could wear it as cologne. It needs to stop NOW that I've provided info that means you were all talking nonsense about something you had no clue of?

That's like starting a fight then calling the cops.

Ok, I am now wearing a party hat.

Now we both look silly. Happy?

-AC

*sigh* Nobody gives a shit. You're taking the topic far too serioulsy.

Alpha Centauri
*sigh* Nobody gives a shit. You're taking the topic far too serioulsy.

Replied to this via PMs.

-AC

Scythe
Disney wasn't even involved in this. So many people have told me all day to never buy Marvel again because Disney is evil...

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, those people are idiots.

I did an interview with Marvel writer Fred van Lente, he told me that the President of Disney visited the offices of Marvel and reassured them all that nothing's going to change.

I'm gonna take that guy's word for it. You know? Works for the company, has met the guy etc. He isn't some Marvel vendetta-holder on a messageboard who is still sore that Jack Kirby doesn't work on Hulk.

Unless the Disney President does something to prove he is a liar, I literally have no reason on Earth to assume anything else, and neither do any other people.

-AC

chomperx9
id rather wait for free comic book day

jinXed by JaNx
So wait...,you have to send Marvel 50 comic book covers in exchange for 1?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

No, it's 50 comic book covers of various Blackest Night tie ins to get a variant issue of Seige #3.

WickedDynamite
I'd rather give them 50 copies of Siege# 3 for one DC comic book.

Better deal thumb up

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

No, it's 50 comic book covers of various Blackest Night tie ins to get a variant issue of Seige #3.

Originally posted by WickedDynamite
I'd rather give them 50 copies of Siege# 3 for one DC comic book.

Wait...the penny may have dropped.

Do you people realise that this is not open to consumers? They're not asking readers to do it...it's retailers only. For every 50 issues you send back (From any selected DC titles), you get a Siege #3 Deadpool variant to sell in your store.

You DO realise that, right?

I know WickedDynamite didn't, simply because that would be a ridiculous deal. Sending away 50 copies of a series in which the first issue sold out and won't be getting a reprint, for a single issue of any DC comic. Terrible business.

Let's hope he never runs a store.

-AC

Superherovandal
Honestly if they really cared for the retailers or for bettering their own business model they'd trade for 50 of their own books like say Dark Reign tie-ins to learn how many of their own books people didn't buy for future reference. I don't know if what their doing is perfectly legal though it probably is because they are actually doing it, but it strikes me as really underhanded and dirty. They are basically trying to limit the amount of the opposition's product that is able to be sold the comic book reader and that isn't a good thing. I think most people here will agree because comics are a small enough market already. We don't need the companies keeping it from selling more. I mean Deadpool variants?!! seriously???

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Superherovandal
Honestly if they really cared for the retailers or for bettering their own business model they'd trade for 50 of their own books like say Dark Reign tie-ins to learn how many of their own books people didn't buy for future reference. I don't know if what their doing is perfectly legal though it probably is because they are actually doing it, but it strikes me as really underhanded and dirty. They are basically trying to limit the amount of the opposition's product that is able to be sold the comic book reader and that isn't a good thing. I think most people here will agree because comics are a small enough market already. We don't need the companies keeping it from selling more. I mean Deadpool variants?!! seriously???

No, do the damn research.

ALL of the titles that are eligible are titles with notoriously over-ordered stock that are not selling. Booster Gold sales have dropped dramatically.

It's no more underhanded than DC saying: "Buy these non-popular titles, you get rings with them. Boost our sales!".

This really isn't damaging DC at all, nor is it hurting their business.

More Deadpool variants? Do you have any idea how rare even the current Deadpool variants are? Hulk #14's Deadpool variant was 1 in 200.

-AC

willRules
DC's ring promotion was in no way an insult to the Marvel comics being produced that month.

Wait...the penny may have dropped.

Do you people realise that this is not open to consumers? They're not asking readers to do it...it's retailers only. For every 50 issues you send back (From any selected DC titles), you get a Siege #3 Deadpool variant to sell in your store.

You DO realise that, right?

I know WickedDynamite didn't, simply because that would be a ridiculous deal. Sending away 50 copies of a series in which the first issue sold out and won't be getting a reprint, for a single issue of any DC comic. Terrible business.

Let's hope he never runs a store.

-AC

If Marvel were really that alturistic, they should have offered retailers the opportunity to return 50 of their own comics in exchange for the 1 variant issue, rather than ever so "honourably" retrieving comics from the Distinguished Competition.....

Alpha Centauri
How does that work?

DC artificially tried boosting their own sales, it worked. So...Marvel's best competitive move would be to take lots of their own issues off the shelves?

Not familiar with business, are you?

If DC did this, nobody would be saying shit. That's a fact. This thread wouldn't even exist, or if it did, people would be praising DC.

It's not going to hurt DC at all.

Additionally, I love how all the retailers are saying shit NOW, but they'll have Free Comic Day. Free Comic Day isn't "free" for retailers; they have to pay shipping and ordering etc. They'll shell out all that cash for people to just take the comics, but they won't do this?

The funny thing is, lots of retailers ARE doing it. You're only hearing the ones that are expressing confusion or concern. Regardless, nobody's holding a gun to their heads. Nobody has to do this.

-AC

willRules
How does that work?

DC artificially tried boosting their own sales, it worked. So...Marvel's best competitive move would be to take lots of their own issues off the shelves?

Not familiar with business, are you?

I never claimed to be familliar with business. However I think it's pretty pathetic of Marvel to try and look good in front of the public by ONLY taking DC's stuff. Like I said, if Marvel were genuinely concerned about the retailers then they'd accept their own comics. But they don't want any of their own products effectively remaining unsold, just DC's.

I understand they have to make money. Doesn't mean it isn't low of them. By comparison, DC didn't do this by promoting their own product with the ring offer.

If DC did this, nobody would be saying shit. That's a fact. This thread wouldn't even exist, or if it did, people would be praising DC.

It's not going to hurt DC at all.

Rubbish. I'm more of a Marvel Zombie than I've ever been. I still think Marvel looks pretty bad by doing this.

Additionally, I love how all the retailers are saying shit NOW, but they'll have Free Comic Day. Free Comic Day isn't "free" for retailers; they have to pay shipping and ordering etc. They'll shell out all that cash for people to just take the comics, but they won't do this?

The funny thing is, lots of retailers ARE doing it. You're only hearing the ones that are expressing confusion or concern. Regardless, nobody's holding a gun to their heads. Nobody has to do this.

-AC

Maybe the retailers don't complain about Free Comic Book Day because the publicity ultimately benefits them. Free Comic Book Day is probably one of the best days of the year in terms of sales!

I'm sure many of the large comic book businesses can afford to do it. Whether they see 50 older products being worth the same value on the shelf as 1 rare product is another matter. The smaller retailers however probably don't benefit from this deal anywhere near as much. They are much more likely to accumulate a $100 dollars from many people buying older issues of DC, than 1 person buying 1 $100 variant comic. If they weren't, then there wouldn't be any controversy.

Either way, it doesn't make Marvel look that good at all.

Juntai
Most retailers aren't going to do it, primarily because Blackest Night sells mass amounts, and trading 50 issues for one issue, you'd have to sell that variant for like 150 just to break even.
I don't know about you guys, but if I see a 2010 issue hanging on a wall for 150+, I don't even consider buying it.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Juntai
Most retailers aren't going to do it, primarily because Blackest Night sells mass amounts, and trading 50 issues for one issue, you'd have to sell that variant for like 150 just to break even.
I don't know about you guys, but if I see a 2010 issue hanging on a wall for 150+, I don't even consider buying it.
Yeah, I didn't really make sense out of this. Sounds like a godawful deal no expression

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by willRules
I never claimed to be familliar with business. However I think it's pretty pathetic of Marvel to try and look good in front of the public by ONLY taking DC's stuff. Like I said, if Marvel were genuinely concerned about the retailers then they'd accept their own comics. But they don't want any of their own products effectively remaining unsold, just DC's.

They're more concerned with the competition, and DC is the competition. It's not illegal, and if you wanna see it as underhanded, fine.

People just need to stop acting like it's the holocaust.

I understand they have to make money. Doesn't mean it isn't low of them. By comparison, DC didn't do this by promoting their own product with the ring offer.

It's called getting ONE UP on your competition. Why do something DC already did?

In a street fight, a man will get dissed for fighting dirty or whatever. Who makes these rules up? In a fight, the object is to win. In a war, the object is to win. If it's not breaking the law, and the object is STILL to win, then Marvel have every right.

Rubbish. I'm more of a Marvel Zombie than I've ever been. I still think Marvel looks pretty bad by doing this.

Ok, that was an exaggeration, but you know for a fact there's a high amount of anti-Marvel stigma here.

Maybe the retailers don't complain about Free Comic Book Day because the publicity ultimately benefits them. Free Comic Book Day is probably one of the best days of the year in terms of sales!

It's a massive gamble, every year.

I'm sure many of the large comic book businesses can afford to do it. Whether they see 50 older products being worth the same value on the shelf as 1 rare product is another matter. The smaller retailers however probably don't benefit from this deal anywhere near as much. They are much more likely to accumulate a $100 dollars from many people buying older issues of DC, than 1 person buying 1 $100 variant comic. If they weren't, then there wouldn't be any controversy.

Either way, it doesn't make Marvel look that good at all.

It doesn't need to make Marvel look good. It's business. It's not necessarily making them look bad either. It literally hurts NOBODY. Fact.

Also, if I'm watching a fight in the street and some dude kicks another dude in the balls, I'd be like: "Dirty move". Does he give a shit? No. Should he? No.

Originally posted by Juntai

It's not for 50 issues of Blackest Night. It's 50 issues of any of the eligible titles.

-AC

Darth Vicious

Thats exactly how I feel. I'm all up for competition but blatantly going after another publisher its just dirty.

I wonder what Marvel is planning to do with all them comics? Anybody knows if something like this has happened in the past?

Alpha Centauri
Thats exactly how I feel. I'm all up for competition but blatantly going after another publisher its just dirty.

I wonder what Marvel is planning to do with all them comics? Anybody knows if something like this has happened in the past?

Competitions have rules.

If it's not breaking them, it's hardly dirty.

-AC

Blanket
Replied to this via PMs.

-AC Who won?

willRules
I wonder what Marvel is planning to do with all them comics?

Post them to DC offices with the Deadpool variant scribbled over the covers laughing out loud

But I agree with you, it's pretty low of Marvel.

WickedDynamite
If shit could shit it would look EXACTLY like Marvel Comics.

JakeTheBank
I talked in depth with my local comic shop owner again about this topic. He did the research on his laptop as I was browsing around the store. He's not going to participating for a variety of reasons, and he too is of the opinion it feels "dirty". Hardly any one in our consumer area is really into ultra rare variants, Deadpool or no, and the fact that he'd have to slap a high price tag to break even only further put him off.

I think the idea is unique in of itself (you'd have to admit that much whether or not you agree with the idea), but from the looks of it not too many people are going to be participating in this offer. On the other hand, all this does is make the variant itself even more rare and valuable for hardcore collectors.

Badabing
If shit could shit it would look EXACTLY like Marvel Comics. All those colors...What exactly have you been eating? sick

WickedDynamite
big grin

Originally posted by Badabing
All those colors...What exactly have you been eating? sick

Gives a new meaning to that old slogan:

"Taste the Rainbow" laughing out loud

(if you aren't American you wont get it...skittles and stuff...nvm)

Philosophía
I love how Marvel's trying to spin it as if they're the innocent ones trying to help the retailer, while DC were the bad guys for their ring advertisment.

Badabing
big grin

Gives a new meaning to that old slogan:

"Taste the Rainbow" laughing out loud

(if you aren't American you wont get it...skittles and stuff...nvm) Yeah it does.

I am American! durfist

Blanket

Juntai

It's not for 50 issues of Blackest Night. It's 50 issues of any of the eligible titles.

-AC Which all happen to be Blackest Night issues, I believe, looking at the list.

Alpha Centauri
If they're not selling, they're not selling. Some retailers are going for it, some aren't.

The fact that a great deal of people are saying: "THIS IS SO...OH MY GOD. SO LOW.", need to dry wipe. Seriously. They haven't committed genocide on a children's hospital, they landed a crafty blow to the competition that may yet be ineffectual.

DC probably aren't even crying as much as one of y...I mean some of you. Kirby stopped writing for Marvel. Like, get over it.

-AC

Doctor-Alvis
I'm on the fence, but only because my fingers are too fat to fit in the rings.

Badabing
If they're not selling, they're not selling. Some retailers are going for it, some aren't.

The fact that a great deal of people are saying: "THIS IS SO...OH MY GOD. SO LOW.", need to dry wipe. Seriously. They haven't committed genocide on a children's hospital, they landed a crafty blow to the competition that may yet be ineffectual.

DC probably aren't even crying as much as one of y...I mean some of you. Kirby stopped writing for Marvel. Like, get over it.

-AC What are you on about? laughing out loud

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I'm on the fence, but only because my fingers are too fat to fit in the rings.

Be the first lantern to use a pinky ring.

-AC

WickedDynamite
Originally posted by Badabing
Yeah it does.

I am American! durfist

w00t

Scythe
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I'm on the fence, but only because my fingers are too fat to fit in the rings. Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Be the first lantern to use a pinky ring.

-AC

Intergalactic pimp, oh yes.

willRules

-AC

laughing

I take it back. Marvel isn't petty, You are stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Joey Q is paying me by the minute.

Gotta keep the average up.

I was going to demand the same amount that DC are paying the other guy in this thread, but he works for free due to them supplying him with Bob Kane bedsheets.

You gotta do what you gotta do in this crazy, crazy world.

-AC

willRules
laughing

I-Drop
Marvel is used to winning and will do what they deem necessary to do so. No harm in that. Ya'll think it's too late for me to snag one of those Black Lantern rings?

Scythe
Originally posted by I-Drop
Marvel is used to winning and will do what they deem necessary to do so. No harm in that. Ya'll think it's too late for me to snag one of those Black Lantern rings?

Probably, though they're up on eBay for a cheap price.

Ptr_Grifin
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/siege-3-dc-variant-100122.html

http://i.newsarama.com/images/SIEGE003_cov_BLINGvariant.jpg

Juntai
Originally posted by I-Drop
Marvel is used to winning and will do what they deem necessary to do so. No harm in that. Ya'll think it's too late for me to snag one of those Black Lantern rings? Mostly winning because they simply put out more material. DC's titles sell more on average. Without trying to locate the year end numbers again, Marvel was putting 45% of the material on the shelf, but only drawing 39-40% of the dollar share. DC's was something like 33% of material, 32% dollar share. Meaning the titles are doing better individually.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.