KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » MARVEL OFFERS RETAILERS COMICS FOR COMICS (DC comics)

MARVEL OFFERS RETAILERS COMICS FOR COMICS (DC comics)
Started by: Darth Vicious

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Vicious

MARVEL OFFERS RETAILERS COMICS FOR COMICS (DC comics)

quote: (post)
Originally posted on Newsarama
In an effort to provide assistance to comic retailers in 2010, Marvel is offering retailers an opportunity to turn unsold comics into an extremely rare Siege #3 Deadpool Variant!

Retailers – for every 50 stripped covers of the following comics sent to Marvel, you will qualify to receive one FREE Siege #3 Deadpool Variant. The 50 stripped covers can be any combination of the comics listed below and all submissions need to be received at the Marvel office at the address below by Tuesday 2/16/2010. Also included with the stripped covers must be your store contact information including Diamond Account # and email address.

Original link:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Mar...-DC-100113.html

Retailers reaction:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/mar...-dc-100115.html

Has anybody heard about this? Being a Marvel fan for many years I can't believe they doing this. This seems cheap, specially since they seem to be singling (sp?) out DC.

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 10:31 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

I heard about this, and laughed. Seems dumb.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 10:39 PM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Marvel are using cheap tactics to garner public interest. It's really pathetic and it just seems like Marvel are bitter because DC have done really well with titles like Blackest Night. I generally tend to favour Marvel but this stinks of sour grapes.

I say people should hit them where it hurts. Make February a Non-Marvel month. Buy a DC or other title instead of a Marvel for the Month of Feb and watch Marvel sales plummet in the diamond sales report whilst the retailers retain the same amount of sales.

Don't Make Mine Marvel!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 10:56 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Scythe
I heard about this, and laughed. Seems dumb.

I think they're just trying to show DC whos boss.

Originally posted by Darth Vicious

they seem to be singling (sp?) out DC.

**** em.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 10:57 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Thus the evil Reign of Disney/Marvel begins to show it's ugly face in the comic book industry.

*does not partcipate*

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 11:08 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

LMAO, what a douche move by Joephisto and company.

I could give a shit about ultra rare variants (I only get them for select issues), but to each their own. Instead of trying to crap all over DC why don't they just instead promote Seige and their other events under their own steam?

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 11:14 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Siege doesn't need promotion, it's sold out.

Whether it's good or bad, the promotion obviously worked.

I.T.T: Nobody who grasps economics.

DC aren't losing anything, nor are they above marketing ploys to try boosting sales ahead of competition.

They offered rings with selected issues and most of the issues they offered them with were shit. The only issue that sold well despite the offer was the Blackest Night one.

Most people who don't even read those series' bought the comics for the rings.

On top of that, go look at sales estimates. The month prior, I believe, Booster Gold (One of the eligible titles) was around 21 thousand, dropping and with no rise in sight. As a result, there is no reason whatsoever to believe that those over-ordered copies will ever sell.

As my comic store retailer friend said:

"DC came up with something creative with the ring thing. Something fresh and new. It generated excitement and got mid-to-low selling titles into shops that chose to participate in order to make the collectible rings available. And like I said before, there was no wrong way to handle the rings. For a store to ask that the customer buy the book assigned to the particular ring was not unreasonable. What we did at Acme was give away 1 ring to every customer bringing in two cans of food that we gave to the Greensboro Urban Ministry. Even though we got the rings all at once, we released the rings basically every other weekend and have collected to date well over 1,200lbs of food that went straight to people who needed it. So cool. People have been extremely generous and supportive of this idea. And plenty of people have indeed bought the tie in books that they normally would not have. BUT, bottom line, we have books that we're never gonna sell. And Marvel Comics have one month on the sales charts that is all wonky because of DC's gimmick, which to be fair, was a good gimmick. However the sales charts reflect something that is not based upon the content of the books themselves. The sales results are based upon an incentive beyond what impact is felt by variants.

So, I guess someone over at Marvel had enough though and came up with this promotion which is equally crafty. Its not like they're asking for copies of random DC's they're asking for the specific series that artificially inflated DC's sales numbers. Marvel is offering taking the product that has super-saturated my market and will not sell, and they're giving me a special variant cover featuring a character that people will buy. This shows that Marvel remembers that comic shops, all small businesses in a difficult economy, cannot send back unsold product for full or even partial refunds. Marvel remembers that it doesn't work that way and came up with something to make them look like saviors, win support with shops who can participate (shops that didn't participate in the ring releases or sold the books with the ring may not be able to take advantage of the 50 copy requirement), and stuck it to DC. Hard and publicly. Its escalation, its underhanded, and I LOVE IT! Competition is a good thing. This is totally something I would have come up with from my 'I Didn't Know We Couldn't Do That' Playbook.".

If you don't know the story, don't write the blurb.

If DC did this, someone would have to type your replies for most of you because you'd already be lubing up the pom poms.

One of the reasons wrestling is shit is because there's no competition now. If Marvel and DC continue to push each other then the only people who win are the readers.

I'm interested in whoever will give me great comics. I don't wish bad on Marvel or DC, or any company. I hope they all do well and keep providing me with shit I like to read.

This company loyalty bs is dumb. Get over it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jan 15th, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 11:28 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
LMAO, what a douche move by Joephisto and company.

More like Mickey and Joephisto. This is JUST like the South Park Episode when Mickey beats up the Jonas Brothers lolz!

Here are few more responses from the comic book community on this insulting and lower than slime move by Shit Comics....err...I mean...Disney Comics....oops!...I meant Marvel Comics.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/...mics-promotion/

Shot out to Meltdown Comics! w000t!

Eat Shit Marvel

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Jan 15th, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 11:46 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Eat Shit Marvel", "Shit Comics"?

Not only am I baffled that the best you could do is THAT, but I do often wonder if the crushing shame of how a man your ages acts keeps you awake at night. Almost a decade older than me and my younger nephew offers greater examples of maturity. Odd.

Admittedly it IS baiting, but even I wouldn't reduce myself to looking like a tool in a Fisher Price box.

Disney also had nothing to do with this. Are you genuinely here to troll or debate this topic?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2010 11:49 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I'm not loyal to any one company. I'm loyal to comics, period. This ploy just seems a bit ridiculous and like others have said, a case of jealousy and sour grapes over Blackest Night. Why not offer their own titles as collateral?

My own local comic store thinks the move is in bad taste, and judging from these responses, many other retailers feel the same way. It's creative though.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 12:04 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

It's a filthy and dirty thing to do but coming from Disney/Marvel...what else would one expect?

I call my local shop (Golden Apple Comics) and they also have some negatives. Marvel have always have good sales but this time is showing how terrible winners they're becoming.

thumb down

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Jan 16th, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 12:08 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

There's literally nothing filthy or dirty about it, why are you taking this so personally? Also, why are you tagging Disney's name onto everything? It's not them, they're not involved in this.

Are you psychologically trying to make this a negative of the Disney/Marvel merge? Because that'd be a filthy and dirty debate tactic.

I don't get your personal investment. Did Joe Quesada not call you back? Did he hit 'n' quit Mr. WickedDynamite? Is that what it is?

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I'm not loyal to any one company. I'm loyal to comics, period. This ploy just seems a bit ridiculous and like others have said, a case of jealousy and sour grapes over Blackest Night. Why not offer their own titles as collateral?

My own local comic store thinks the move is in bad taste, and judging from these responses, many other retailers feel the same way. It's creative though.

Because it's competition.

As I said, many people here would be loving it if DC pulled this on Marvel, and if they say they wouldn't then they're utter liars.

It's not low, it's not jealousy, it's business.

DC artificially boosted their sales of comics that weren't selling (Because they were shit) with the addition of rings as an extra incentive. Where do you draw the line? It's only ok if your underhanded tactics involve your own product?

Besides, Marvel have lots of issues that literally sell out at the moment, so it's hardly jealousy. Deadpool alone has three on-goings, two of them sell out with almost every other issue.

It's not illegal and not EVERYONE is against it, it's just a surprising move that can ADMITTEDLY look underhanded on the surface. On closer inspection there are a lot of financial and practical reasons why this benefits people.

It hurts nobody except people who have emotionally invested themselves in this like it's a blood feud, WD for example. It's not personal, even between the companies. So unless you work for DC, I don't see how anyone's bothered.

The irony is that people are saying: "STOP BUYING MARVEL! LET'S SHOW 'EM! LET'S BUY MORE DC!" when half of you don't even pay for comics normally.

You're going to boost DC's numbers artificially because Marvel did something to hit back at DC trying to boost their numbers...artificially?

Geniuses, the lot of you.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jan 16th, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 12:12 AM
Deadline

Man whatever.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 12:16 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I know what I'm going to do....I'm going to send 50 or my old worthless Marvel Comics to the address:

James Nausedas
Marvel Entertainment, LLC
417 Fifth Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10016

With a note saying "Here are 50 of your shitty comics....you can KEEP your rare Siege #3 Deadpool Variant...we don't want YOUR CRAP in my collection!"

Hahaha...as a matter of fact...I may even make a video.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 12:23 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Deadline
Man whatever.

It went from: "F*ck 'em." to "Man, whatever." as soon as you realised you didn't have a clue what you were on about.

You need to do research on things like this, or you end up looking really, really foolish.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 12:25 AM
Deadline

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It went from: "F*ck 'em." to "Man, whatever." as soon as you realised you didn't have a clue what you were on about.

You need to do research on things like this, or you end up looking really, really foolish.

-AC

You really need to lighten up. erm

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 12:38 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Deadline didn't use the F word anywhere near his post. That's just stupid slander. He did edit his post but nothing offensive. This needs to STOP!

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 12:40 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

1) He said "**** 'em".

Censored or not, that's what he said.

2) That's actually the most hypocrisy I've ever seen.

You spam this forum with so much anti-Marvel sentiment that it's honestly so strong I could wear it as cologne. It needs to stop NOW that I've provided info that means you were all talking nonsense about something you had no clue of?

That's like starting a fight then calling the cops.

Originally posted by Deadline
You really need to lighten up. erm

Ok, I am now wearing a party hat.

Now we both look silly. Happy?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jan 16th, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 12:40 AM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

I'm all for the competition. Capitalism at its finest, folks.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 01:07 AM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
1) He said "**** 'em".

Censored or not, that's what he said.

2) That's actually the most hypocrisy I've ever seen.

You spam this forum with so much anti-Marvel sentiment that it's honestly so strong I could wear it as cologne. It needs to stop NOW that I've provided info that means you were all talking nonsense about something you had no clue of?

That's like starting a fight then calling the cops.

Ok, I am now wearing a party hat.

Now we both look silly. Happy?

-AC

*sigh* Nobody gives a shit. You're taking the topic far too serioulsy.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2010 02:41 AM