Most Important Comic Character...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheTyrant
Which comic character do you think revolutionized comics more than the others?

My vote is for Galactus.

xJLxKing
Superman.... obviously

galactusischere
The Phantom I think was the first superhero. So it should be him. Superman(popularity), Wonder Woman(female superheroes) and Galactus(cosmic/abstract characters) would be 2nd, 3rd and 4th IMO.

Digi
Originally posted by TheTyrant
My vote is for Galactus.

Joking, yes? Revolutionized comics?! I'd like to hear the rationale behind this, because I can't see it.

galactusischere
Originally posted by Digi
Joking, yes? Revolutionized comics?! I'd like to hear the rationale behind this, because I can't see it.

Cosmics.

TheTyrant
Originally posted by Digi

He was the first cosmic god to ever appear in comics. Unicron, Living Tribunal, Anti-Monitor, Imperiex, Eternity, Beyonder etc all derive from him bascially. Even Jack Kirby stated that Galactus was his ultimate creation. Guys like Uatu, Doom, Fantastic Four were mainly created so that a character like Galactus would ever appear in comics. That's gotta be worth something.

Omega Vision
BY Tyrant's logic Fantastic Four are more important since Galactus was just created to give them a challenge.

TheTyrant
Originally posted by Omega Vision
BY Tyrant's logic Fantastic Four are more important since Galactus was just created to give them a challenge.

Fantastic Four were created, because Kirby wanted to introduce a character like Galactus. It's all in his interview. Youtube is your friend.

xJLxKing
LMAO

What are you on dude?

jalek moye
Spider-man would be up there

Omega Vision
Actually the Fantastic Four have been outright stated to being based off a previous Kirby creation: the Challengers of the Unknown. He only came up with the idea of Galactus 5 years into the FF's run.

Mindship
After Superman, which comic character do you think revolutionized comics more than the others?Fixed. wink

Spider-Man / Fantastic Four

TheTyrant
Originally posted by xJLxKing
LMAO

What are you on dude? Originally posted by Omega Vision
Actually the Fantastic Four have been outright stated to being based off a previous Kirby creation: the Challengers of the Unknown. He only came up with the idea of Galactus 5 years into the FF's run.

Yea, not the FF. But Uatu first appeared cause Lee and Kirby wanted to build up the Galactus triology and shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M50Mjdsh_iw

skip to 1:50

TheTyrant
Originally posted by galactusischere
The Phantom I think was the first superhero

Is this true?

Mindship
Is this true? As far as I can tell, the first modern character predating the superhero as we know it, appeared in 1930. This was Hugo Danner, the superhuman protagonist in Wylie's novel, Gladiator. In 1933, the pulp-mag, larger-than-life Doc Savage appeared: both are said to have been big influences in the creation of Superman. So was the Phantom, who debuted in 1936 and I believe was the first hero to wear "spandex."

They all appeared during the Depression years.

GGS
Superboy Prime

Bouboumaster
The number 1 has to be Superman. The original, the classic, the father of them all.

I would say that the second is a tie between Hulk and Spider-Man. Because they were back in the days what comics are now: conflicted heroes. If Superman is the father of all comics heroes, these two are the father of modern comics.

GGS
Surprised no one has said Hulk or Namor

Without those two there would be no X-men, No Mutants etc. etc.

Bouboumaster
Originally posted by GGS
Surprised no one has said Hulk or Namor

I named him, lol

BlackZero30x
Spider-Man!

-K-M-
Puck.

Omgu8mynewt
Spiderman, I think the first character that was based on who the audience were so they could relate to him easily.

Or professor Xavier, a leader who was crippled?

Or Storm, first major character who was a black woman and could stand up for herself.

From that I'll say whichever female character who was the first to make the change from 'girls are the prizes who are there to be rescued' to girls being able to stand tall with men characters, in their own way. I don't know which character did this transition though.

Warlord
Stiltman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.