KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Most Important Comic Character...

Most Important Comic Character...
Started by: TheTyrant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheTyrant

Most Important Comic Character...

Which comic character do you think revolutionized comics more than the others?

My vote is for Galactus.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 09:48 PM
TheTyrant is currently offline Click here to Send TheTyrant a Private Message Find more posts by TheTyrant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

Superman.... obviously

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 09:50 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
galactusischere
Apocalypse..begins!

The Phantom I think was the first superhero. So it should be him. Superman(popularity), Wonder Woman(female superheroes) and Galactus(cosmic/abstract characters) would be 2nd, 3rd and 4th IMO.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 09:50 PM
galactusischere is currently offline Click here to Send galactusischere a Private Message Find more posts by galactusischere Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TheTyrant
My vote is for Galactus.

Joking, yes? Revolutionized comics?! I'd like to hear the rationale behind this, because I can't see it.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 09:51 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
galactusischere
Apocalypse..begins!

Originally posted by Digi
Joking, yes? Revolutionized comics?! I'd like to hear the rationale behind this, because I can't see it.

Cosmics.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 09:52 PM
galactusischere is currently offline Click here to Send galactusischere a Private Message Find more posts by galactusischere Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheTyrant

Originally posted by Digi

He was the first cosmic god to ever appear in comics. Unicron, Living Tribunal, Anti-Monitor, Imperiex, Eternity, Beyonder etc all derive from him bascially. Even Jack Kirby stated that Galactus was his ultimate creation. Guys like Uatu, Doom, Fantastic Four were mainly created so that a character like Galactus would ever appear in comics. That's gotta be worth something.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 09:56 PM
TheTyrant is currently offline Click here to Send TheTyrant a Private Message Find more posts by TheTyrant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

BY Tyrant's logic Fantastic Four are more important since Galactus was just created to give them a challenge.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 09:59 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheTyrant

Originally posted by Omega Vision
BY Tyrant's logic Fantastic Four are more important since Galactus was just created to give them a challenge.

Fantastic Four were created, because Kirby wanted to introduce a character like Galactus. It's all in his interview. Youtube is your friend.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 10:00 PM
xJLxKing

LMAO

What are you on dude?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 10:03 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Spider-man would be up there

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 10:03 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Actually the Fantastic Four have been outright stated to being based off a previous Kirby creation: the Challengers of the Unknown. He only came up with the idea of Galactus 5 years into the FF's run.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 10:04 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

After Superman, which comic character do you think revolutionized comics more than the others?
Fixed. wink

Spider-Man / Fantastic Four

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 10:10 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheTyrant

Originally posted by xJLxKing
LMAO

What are you on dude?
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Actually the Fantastic Four have been outright stated to being based off a previous Kirby creation: the Challengers of the Unknown. He only came up with the idea of Galactus 5 years into the FF's run.

Yea, not the FF. But Uatu first appeared cause Lee and Kirby wanted to build up the Galactus triology and shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M50Mjdsh_iw

skip to 1:50

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 10:11 PM
TheTyrant

Originally posted by galactusischere
The Phantom I think was the first superhero

Is this true?

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 10:12 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Is this true?
As far as I can tell, the first modern character predating the superhero as we know it, appeared in 1930. This was Hugo Danner, the superhuman protagonist in Wylie's novel, Gladiator. In 1933, the pulp-mag, larger-than-life Doc Savage appeared: both are said to have been big influences in the creation of Superman. So was the Phantom, who debuted in 1936 and I believe was the first hero to wear "spandex."

They all appeared during the Depression years.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Apr 30th, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 10:23 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GGS

Superboy Prime

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 10:29 PM
GGS is currently offline Click here to Send GGS a Private Message Find more posts by GGS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

The number 1 has to be Superman. The original, the classic, the father of them all.

I would say that the second is a tie between Hulk and Spider-Man. Because they were back in the days what comics are now: conflicted heroes. If Superman is the father of all comics heroes, these two are the father of modern comics.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 10:31 PM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GGS

Surprised no one has said Hulk or Namor

Without those two there would be no X-men, No Mutants etc. etc.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 10:33 PM
GGS is currently offline Click here to Send GGS a Private Message Find more posts by GGS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Originally posted by GGS
Surprised no one has said Hulk or Namor

I named him, lol

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 11:01 PM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

Spider-Man!

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 11:11 PM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote