Teleportation vs Speed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheTyrant
Which one is better for combat?

Instant teleportation like Blink or FTL combat speed like Flash?

the ninjak
Speed....especially at Flash's level.

Teleportation only really comes into play if characters like NightCrawler had the balls to TP peoples heads off!

I've already in a previous thread given a scernario where Deadpool easily takes down Kurt. And deadpool is upper enhanced speed level, not SuperSpeed.

godking
Originally posted by TheTyrant
Which one is better for combat?

Instant teleportation like Blink or FTL combat speed like Flash? speed

Teleportation is useful but eventually an intelligent opponent is going to predict where you are going to teleport too.

StiltmanFTW
Flash proved that he's faster than teleportation.

jrodslam
On normal lvl's, Flash isnt faster than teleportation.

A smart opponent can predict where you end up in both teleporting AND speed. They just have to be fast enough to do something about it.

In a fight, speed slightly. Traveling, Teleporting easy.

Parmaniac
In fight it completely depends on the opponent IMO.

Mindship
All else being equal, I'd go with teleporting. Speed - no matter how fast - involves a path of travel and therefore potential intercept points all along that path, something you simply wont have with a teleporter. And as for predicting where a teleporter might appear at a given moment: you could predict that with a very fast opponent too (again, all else being equal).

The Nuul
FTL Speed should be better but it all depends on the character if hes smart enough.

Warlord
teleportation can give you a "3-d" movement advantage which speed alone cannot

dmills
Teleportation hands down. FTL combat speeds are overblown and most of what is considered ftl reflexes are really more like supersonic reflexes. Can ftl even be achieved within a planetary atmosphere?

Omega Vision
Speed FTW. Superspeed often speeds up your brain processes accordingly while teleporters still think like normal people.
Originally posted by dmills
Can ftl even be achieved within a planetary atmosphere?
In comics they can.

Konton
Speed.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by Mindship
All else being equal, I'd go with teleporting. Speed - no matter how fast - involves a path of travel and therefore potential intercept points all along that path, something you simply wont have with a teleporter. And as for predicting where a teleporter might appear at a given moment: you could predict that with a very fast opponent too (again, all else being equal).

very good point, but with speed i assume it allows you to have the reflexes to operate at that speed or else you just run into walls. Anyway with that said with ftl combat speed you should be able to use it defensively and offensively. Dodge and counter attack at ftl speeds. But with teleportation you arent automatically given the senses to react to your opponent. Youre just going to have to rely on you own normal reactions.

but if I can teleport people's heads into the floor then maybe I would pick teleportation. But I would stick with speed to be able to attack dodge and maneuver around my opponent.

godking
Originally posted by jrodslam
On normal lvl's, Flash isnt faster than teleportation.

A smart opponent can predict where you end up in both teleporting AND speed. They just have to be fast enough to do something about it.

In a fight, speed slightly. Traveling, Teleporting easy. As you said predicting speed means nothing if you lack the reflexes to do something about it. Mr X's rape at the hands of Quicksilver is a recent example of this.

cdtm
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Flash proved that he's faster than teleportation.

So did Mr. Majestic.

And he didn't predict the teleport, he "reacted" to it.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Speed FTW. Superspeed often speeds up your brain processes accordingly while teleporters still think like normal people.

In comics they can.

Originally posted by cdtm
So did Mr. Majestic.

And he didn't predict the teleport, he "reacted" to it.

thumb up

dmills
If your brain is able to process info that fast, the world would appear to be on pause, but your perception of yourself in it would remain normal. So running from LA to NY would be real time to you.

cdtm
Explains why Zoom II's insane. From his point of view, he was running around the world at normal speed.

Mindship
Originally posted by Lord Feron
very good point, but with speed i assume it allows you to have the reflexes to operate at that speed or else you just run into walls. Anyway with that said with ftl combat speed you should be able to use it defensively and offensively. Dodge and counter attack at ftl speeds. But with teleportation you arent automatically given the senses to react to your opponent. Youre just going to have to rely on you own normal reactions. Yeah, I was thinking about that later...though I suppose I could make the case for a teleporter who could pop in and out around an opponent in, say, nanosec succession, thus requiring faster perceptual processing. Still, teleporting is generally considered a full-body deal, whilst speed could mean anything from whole-body motion to eye-poke with a finger, giving the speed-combatant more options (ie, it's hard to imagine a teleporter teleporting only his arm and hand for a punch, and even so, where would the momentum for impact come from, other than just the teleporter's muscles).

Alright. I'm going with speed.

dmills
@cdtm,

Which is why super speed at that level has alway's been absurd to me as a power. It's great for short distances and speed blitzes, but for long distance travel, I'll pass thanks.

jrodslam
Originally posted by godking
As you said predicting speed means nothing if you lack the reflexes to do something about it. Mr X's rape at the hands of Quicksilver is a recent example of this.

Im sure if he was able to teleport, hed tag Pietro.

Johnny Sorrow
It always depends on the nature of teleportation and super-speed. Flash's super-speed grants him increased reflexes as well as control over kinetic energy, negation of friction and effects normally caused by super-speed, rapid attacks and powerful damage, limited time control and phasing. Blink's teleportation is different than Nightcrawler's and makes her more dangerous in close-range combat.

dmills
With training and practice overtime I'm sure you would adapt your reflexes for using teleportation in combat.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by dmills
@cdtm,

Which is why super speed at that level has alway's been absurd to me as a power. It's great for short distances and speed blitzes, but for long distance travel, I'll pass thanks.
Its still not as bad as being Doctor Manhattan and being aware of the true non-linear nature of time.

godking
Originally posted by jrodslam
Im sure if he was able to teleport, hed tag Pietro. No he would still be to slow to be in apostion to tag pietro.

for him to be able to tag pietro he would need the reflexes keep up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.