KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Teleportation vs Speed

Teleportation vs Speed
Started by: TheTyrant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheTyrant

Teleportation vs Speed

Which one is better for combat?

Instant teleportation like Blink or FTL combat speed like Flash?

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 08:43 AM
TheTyrant is currently offline Click here to Send TheTyrant a Private Message Find more posts by TheTyrant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Speed....especially at Flash's level.

Teleportation only really comes into play if characters like NightCrawler had the balls to TP peoples heads off!

I've already in a previous thread given a scernario where Deadpool easily takes down Kurt. And deadpool is upper enhanced speed level, not SuperSpeed.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 09:24 AM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
godking

Re: Teleportation vs Speed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TheTyrant
Which one is better for combat?

Instant teleportation like Blink or FTL combat speed like Flash?
speed

Teleportation is useful but eventually an intelligent opponent is going to predict where you are going to teleport too.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 01:05 PM
godking is currently offline Click here to Send godking a Private Message Find more posts by godking Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Flash proved that he's faster than teleportation.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 01:44 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jrodslam

On normal lvl's, Flash isnt faster than teleportation.

A smart opponent can predict where you end up in both teleporting AND speed. They just have to be fast enough to do something about it.

In a fight, speed slightly. Traveling, Teleporting easy.

Daredevil Respect Thread - Iceman Respect Thread - Nick Fury Respect Thread - Respect Strong Guy!

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 02:04 PM
jrodslam is currently offline Click here to Send jrodslam a Private Message Find more posts by jrodslam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

In fight it completely depends on the opponent IMO.

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 02:07 PM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

All else being equal, I'd go with teleporting. Speed - no matter how fast - involves a path of travel and therefore potential intercept points all along that path, something you simply wont have with a teleporter. And as for predicting where a teleporter might appear at a given moment: you could predict that with a very fast opponent too (again, all else being equal).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 02:14 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

FTL Speed should be better but it all depends on the character if hes smart enough.

Last edited by Squirrel Fart on May 2nd, 2010 at 02:17 PM

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 02:15 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Warlord
Yes, I am...

teleportation can give you a "3-d" movement advantage which speed alone cannot

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 02:17 PM
Warlord is currently offline Click here to Send Warlord a Private Message Find more posts by Warlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

Teleportation hands down. FTL combat speeds are overblown and most of what is considered ftl reflexes are really more like supersonic reflexes. Can ftl even be achieved within a planetary atmosphere?

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 02:55 PM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Speed FTW. Superspeed often speeds up your brain processes accordingly while teleporters still think like normal people.
Originally posted by dmills
Can ftl even be achieved within a planetary atmosphere?

In comics they can.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 03:16 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Konton
Homo Magi

Speed.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 03:39 PM
Konton is currently offline Click here to Send Konton a Private Message Find more posts by Konton Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Feron

Originally posted by Mindship
All else being equal, I'd go with teleporting. Speed - no matter how fast - involves a path of travel and therefore potential intercept points all along that path, something you simply wont have with a teleporter. And as for predicting where a teleporter might appear at a given moment: you could predict that with a very fast opponent too (again, all else being equal).

very good point, but with speed i assume it allows you to have the reflexes to operate at that speed or else you just run into walls. Anyway with that said with ftl combat speed you should be able to use it defensively and offensively. Dodge and counter attack at ftl speeds. But with teleportation you arent automatically given the senses to react to your opponent. Youre just going to have to rely on you own normal reactions.

but if I can teleport people's heads into the floor then maybe I would pick teleportation. But I would stick with speed to be able to attack dodge and maneuver around my opponent.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 04:11 PM
Lord Feron is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Feron a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Feron Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
godking

Originally posted by jrodslam
On normal lvl's, Flash isnt faster than teleportation.

A smart opponent can predict where you end up in both teleporting AND speed. They just have to be fast enough to do something about it.

In a fight, speed slightly. Traveling, Teleporting easy.
As you said predicting speed means nothing if you lack the reflexes to do something about it. Mr X's rape at the hands of Quicksilver is a recent example of this.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 04:33 PM
godking is currently offline Click here to Send godking a Private Message Find more posts by godking Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Flash proved that he's faster than teleportation.

So did Mr. Majestic.

And he didn't predict the teleport, he "reacted" to it.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 04:45 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Speed FTW. Superspeed often speeds up your brain processes accordingly while teleporters still think like normal people.

In comics they can.

Originally posted by cdtm
So did Mr. Majestic.

And he didn't predict the teleport, he "reacted" to it.

thumb up

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 05:12 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

If your brain is able to process info that fast, the world would appear to be on pause, but your perception of yourself in it would remain normal. So running from LA to NY would be real time to you.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 05:22 PM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Explains why Zoom II's insane. From his point of view, he was running around the world at normal speed.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 05:27 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Lord Feron
very good point, but with speed i assume it allows you to have the reflexes to operate at that speed or else you just run into walls. Anyway with that said with ftl combat speed you should be able to use it defensively and offensively. Dodge and counter attack at ftl speeds. But with teleportation you arent automatically given the senses to react to your opponent. Youre just going to have to rely on you own normal reactions.
Yeah, I was thinking about that later...though I suppose I could make the case for a teleporter who could pop in and out around an opponent in, say, nanosec succession, thus requiring faster perceptual processing. Still, teleporting is generally considered a full-body deal, whilst speed could mean anything from whole-body motion to eye-poke with a finger, giving the speed-combatant more options (ie, it's hard to imagine a teleporter teleporting only his arm and hand for a punch, and even so, where would the momentum for impact come from, other than just the teleporter's muscles).

Alright. I'm going with speed.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 05:35 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

@cdtm,

Which is why super speed at that level has alway's been absurd to me as a power. It's great for short distances and speed blitzes, but for long distance travel, I'll pass thanks.

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 05:38 PM