living as a King or Queen?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wild Shadow
would anyone rather be a Royalty in the 1400's and give up their modern life to gain an entire Kindgom and treasures?

would you guys sacrifice the now to insure you have a strong powerful blood line that may or may not last to the current world?

what would you do as king or queen?

lets say you replaced the Royal family of England King Henry IV.

you can choice Royal family of France, Germany, Italy or Spain even Japan..

pls explain why...

you wouldnt be born in that time line you would just be transported there from today.

Bicnarok

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Bicnarok

Of course rebels would be ruthlessly wiped out in the manor of the day. that is how it is done in real war not our modern PC version of it. thumb up

dadudemon

Wild Shadow
what about the political problems and superstitions of the ppl and church..

you think you can create some kind of paradise but ppl will be there to stop you and you might have more immediate problems then showing how wind current works and flight dynamics

Autokrat
More likely you would die early of some disease.

Quiero Mota
No cars? No refrigeration? No tv? No deoderant? No take-out Chinese food at midnight? Having to shit in a hole in the ground?

No, I think I'll keep my present life. And I have anger issues, so I'm pretty sure I'd go over board when it came to punishment. So its better if I just stay put.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Autokrat
More likely you would die early of some disease. name them.. smart

Autokrat
http://i39.tinypic.com/2uj32ar.jpg

And I have no idea what diseases... I mean Christ, people died all the time back then for easily fixable stuff today.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
name them.. smart

Flu, rhinovirus, syphilis, plague, getting-stabbed-in-the-chest-itis

Wild Shadow
pfff,..glare

only sissies get the flu and cold and die.. most of you guys should have massively better immunities then that..

the plague is another story.. thats why you get to choice the country you wanna rule and when did the plague occur?

getting stab might be a problem...

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
getting-stabbed-in-the-chest-itis

I learned on the History Channel that the phrase "getting caught with your pants down" comes from the Middle Ages when a Scottish king was assassinated by a mole in his palace while he was literally taking a shit.

Wild Shadow
did the mole give him rabies or something?

kava_kava
did the mole give him rabies or something?

like a spy, undercover assassin

Symmetric Chaos
pfff,..glare

only sissies get the flu and cold and die.. most of you guys should have massively better immunities then that..

No, most people don't, you can't build an immunity against them either. With poor healthcare in 1400s Europe (comparable to the modern US) sicknesses we see as minor today were likely to cripple you.

dadudemon
what about the political problems and superstitions of the ppl and church..

you think you can create some kind of paradise but ppl will be there to stop you and you might have more immediate problems then showing how wind current works and flight dynamics

Nah.

People would be easy to control. With my knowledge, I could convince the pope that I was divinely sent from the future. Using my knowledges...I could help people get healed n'stuff. I'd claim to not be a special being, but just a nice dude. Knowledge can be used to manipluate: the Catholic Church has been doing that from the beginning.

Wild Shadow
No, most people don't, you can't build an immunity against them either. With poor health care in 1400s Europe (comparable to the modern US) sicknesses we see as minor today were likely to cripple you. the cold wouldnt kill you or the flu unless you cant take care of yourself and lack some very basic understanding of taking care of urself. blankets, proper heating.. plenty of liquids.. Soup is always good.. etc etc..sweat it out your body heats itself to try to kill the virus.. if you died b/c of those two i feel sorry for you and you should be living in a bubble..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ7a9lMSwL8

Originally posted by kava_kava
like a spy, undercover assassin i was just being a Smart @$$.. smart

Robtard
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
No cars? No refrigeration? No tv? No deoderant? No take-out Chinese food at midnight? Having to shit in a hole in the ground?

No, I think I'll keep my present life. And I have anger issues, so I'm pretty sure I'd go over board when it came to punishment. So its better if I just stay put.

Bingo.

Symmetric Chaos
the cold wouldnt kill you or the flu unless you cant take care of yourself and lack some very basic understanding of taking care of urself. blankets, proper heating.. plenty of liquids.. Soup is always good.. etc etc..sweat it out your body heats itselve to try to kill the virus.. if you died b/c of those two i feel sorry for you and you should be living in a bubble..

People did die of those things all the time, seasonal flus can be much worse than you seem to think. Even strep throat and earaches were lethal back then. I would much rather live in a time when doctors had some idea what they were doing and the protection of herd immunity was present.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by dadudemon
Nah.

People would be easy to control. With my knowledge, I could convince the pope that I was divinely sent from the future. Using my knowledges...I could help people get healed n'stuff. I'd claim to not be a special being, but just a nice dude. Knowledge can be used to manipluate: the Catholic Church has been doing that from the beginning. like they did Magus and witches and herbal healers? these were the wise ppl...

then you got the mathematicians, astronomers and ppl with different cultures art mathematics that were not understood..

most ppl didnt claim to be divine but it didnt stop the church from killing the or testing their innocence via drowning.

at the rest of you guys who are talking about cars.. you guys can always have carriages or steam engine ash williams style..

dadudemon
like they did Magus and witches and herbal healers? these were the wise ppl...

then you got the mathematicians, astronomers and ppl with different cultures art mathematics that were not understood..

most ppl didnt claim to be divine but it didnt stop the church from killing the or testing their innocence via drowning.

That's why you convince the pope, man, that you were divinely sent from the future.

They weren't completely unreasonable. As long as you creditd the Pope and God for anything scientific that you did, you wouldn't get into too much trouble.

Robtard
That's why you convince the pope, man, that you were divinely sent from the future.

1400's Pope would have you burned, you'd be a threat to religious control.

Autokrat

They weren't completely unreasonable. As long as you creditd the Pope and God for anything scientific that you did, you wouldn't get into too much trouble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

What was that?

The Popes were reasonable as long as you proved what they wanted you to prove.

Symmetric Chaos

What was that?

Except that Galileo got in trouble for going out of his way to mock the church, not for publishing his ideas.

Bicnarok

Wild Shadow

Quiero Mota
how would you stop it? also what kingdom would you start off with?

It would be impossible. The Church had more power than any lord or king.

Wild Shadow
it depends on location... but, i would still like to hear how some of us would try..

damn the church.. even in the past they were a problem

Symmetric Chaos
It would be impossible. The Church had more power than any lord or king.

No it would be possible. The problem would that accomplishing such an act in a reasonable time frame would be guaranteed to found a religion.

inimalist
oops, 1400s are later than i thought

Bicnarok

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
1400's Pope would have you burned, you'd be a threat to religious control.

Not if you say you're doing it for his benefit and claim it's only to serve the Lord.

"Discover" the gravitational constant? Say you did it under the guidance and watchful eye of the Pope and with prayers to the Lord. smile

What was that?

What was that?

On top of that, Galileo is the EXACT person I had in mind for ways to NOT go about doing things. smile

Wild Shadow
so you would be a subservient King to the church and kiss their @$$ knowing they are wrong and spreading ignorance?

why would you give credit to god and more specifically to the church?

Autokrat
Not if you say you're doing it for his benefit and claim it's only to serve the Lord.

"Discover" the gravitational constant? Say you did it under the guidance and watchful eye of the Pope and with prayers to the Lord. smile

On top of that, Galileo is the EXACT person I had in mind for ways to NOT go about doing things. smile

What happens when you start "discovering" principles that directly conflict with the dogma?

"And God has 'revealed' to me that the Earth is not in fact the center of the universe."

Galileo went about it the wrong way obviously, but what about Copernicus? People took that kind of shit seriously back then. (they still do)

Symmetric Chaos
What happens when you start "discovering" principles that directly conflict with the dogma?

"And God has 'revealed' to me that the Earth is not in fact the center of the universe."

Galileo went about it the wrong way obviously, but what about Copernicus? People took that kind of shit seriously back then. (they still do)

You tell them that God has revealed the boom-stick to you then shoot someone.

Quiero Mota

Copernicus was a Believer and so was Gregor Mendel. They didn't see how their discoveries conflicted with belief, because they didn't. Only the church heads had a problem, because they thought it threatened their power.

Autokrat
Copernicus was a Believer and so was Gregor Mendel. They didn't see how their discoveries conflicted with belief, because they didn't. Only the church heads had a problem, because they thought it threatened their power.

Obviously, but who its the people in power that matter.

Wild Shadow
You tell them that God has revealed the boom-stick to you then shoot someone. you better know how to make that boom-stick cause you aint taking it with you..

Autokrat
Oh they had boom sticks alright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HandBombardWesternEurope1390-1400.jpg

It might blow up in your face as often as actually firing, but at least it would make lots of noise and maybe, just maybe hit something.

Wild Shadow
pff... i just tell my blacksmith what to make with detailed drawing of a rifle and its mechanics.

dadudemon
Already thought of that. Controlled release. smile

Once I've amassed enough power, the pope will be my puppet, not the other way around. smile

I will RULE ALL! mwhahahahahaha

You don't think evil enough, dude. You've got to be much more manipulative than to be very and simply direct about anything. big grin

Wild Shadow
as powerful as the church was i dont think they had any armies to attck a nation or kingdom.. all they have is a voice and hopefully kings and royals would obey.

didnt one of the english kings scuff the church and started his own church in order to divorce and remarry his wive?

anyways if i were king i wouldnt be worrying about the church and the pope too much but i would be worrying about my kingdom and its ppl trying to teach and educate them with making them literate and improve their lives with my knowledge of agriculture and basic science like making soap and gun powder and how to make the ingredients with what nature provides.

even making mechanical inventions.. things like plumbing might be very crude and basic but would get the ball rolling to the point that they could become a modern society like ours in less then a few hundred yrs.. maybe in a hundred to 2oo yrs..

give them the will to want to improve... show them how fertilizer works which they should already know or alternating different plants for different seasons and how to replenish the soil which again should already know.

taking regular bathes and how fleas can be bad.. build basic telescopes to expand their understanding of the world.

teach them the scientific method.

even show them how to make very basic guns and bullets and principle behind it.. have competitions and rewards for the most ingenious firing mechanism for the rifles and guns..

i teach them how to make steel by increasing the carbon in the iron..

that is if i should choice to go back in time... i also open a church and reteach them about god and not leave out things in the bible but try to sway them from violence and focus more on compassion and understanding the principals of jesus... all while helping them learn to read..

maybe even build a printing press to mass produce media and cheaply.. the more you know the better chance of success make knowledge available to your kingdom rich and poor.

i would try to teach them that each person responsibility is to help one another and this includes even more so to the king and queens.

King Kandy
I would not want to live in the 14th century, even as a king. And if I did, I certainly would not want to live in Europe.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Robtard
1400's Pope would have you burned, you'd be a threat to religious control. nonsense popes dont care about control but saving souls and helping create peace on earth and a paradise

kgkg
Yes.

What would I do? Conquer the new world < the Americas>.

Liberator
I would probably be assasinated, my ideas probably have no place amongst the medieval world. Haha.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Liberator
I would probably be assasinated, my ideas probably have no place amongst the medieval world. Haha. what would be your ideas?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.