Bullet For My Valntine: Screamo or Emo?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LLLLLink
In your opinion, is BFMV more of a metal core/nu metal band, or would you classify it as emo music?

Also, don't come in here (or any thread) saying that /b/'s music suck, for that is a sure sign that your opinion is worthless and you are insecure.

Slay
Maybe you're insecure to the point that you dismiss people's opinion on your taste in music as worthless, even telling them not to give their opinion if they dislike the band in question, because you can't stand to hear them say they dislike your favourite band?

Also, BFMV are quite obviously metal.

LLLLLink
^ Perfect example. Did not address the topic.

Edit: Editting is useful.

Slay
Originally posted by LLLLLink
^ Perfect example. Did not address the topic.
I did.

Slay
I edited before you posted though. Might've been seconds between my editing and your post, but still.

AsbestosFlaygon
Neither. They are a metal band, most probably of the metalcore genre.

lord xyz
I'd compare them to papa roach.

Then reach the conclusion they're emo.

MildPossession
Metal, not 'Emo'. Or Metalcore if you must go into more labels as mentioned already.

Slay
Originally posted by lord xyz
I'd compare them to papa roach.

Then reach the conclusion they're emo.
They're in no shape or form emo. Not in the Fugazi, Grey Matter or Jawbreaker way and not in the Fallout Boy, Taking Back Sunday and Panic! At the Disco way.

By the way, I'm not trying to start a discussion on what real emo is or isn't, it's just that BFMV aren't influenced by either of the two 'genres', at least not judging by the few songs I've heard by them.

Clone
Originally posted by Slay
I edited before you posted though. Might've been seconds between my editing and your post, but still. AAAAAAHAHAHAHAH i just think its funny when people say "but still." you just automatically win the talk.

Bullet for MV is pretty metal sounding to me

hey since when is fugazi emo?? arent they punk?

RedAlertv2
Emo originally stood for emotive hardcore, which branched off of hardcore punk. So yeah I'd say they count as a punk band but they were also one of the founding emo bands

Clone
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Emo originally stood for emotive hardcore, which branched off of hardcore punk. So yeah I'd say they count as a punk band but they were also one of the founding emo bands Well I see. I know emo stands for emotive hardcore but I didn't know fugazi was one of the founders of emo

LLLLLink
Well, my opinion is that they are mostly metal core. I've seen statements where they say that they have taken influence from Metallica, Iron Maiden and Slayer (wiki).

They have some slighty emo-sounding songs, like Hand of Blood (notice the words).

ZgIx5Dc4oys

Then they have some heavier-sounding songs, like Waking the Demon.

vq3hP9Sd1sM

RedAlertv2
That first song doesnt sound like emo. It doesnt sound like what emo really is, and like Slay said, these guys don't even sound like the bands that get mis-labelled as emo. Cliche heartbreak lyrics don't make a band emo. Originally posted by Clone
Well I see. I know emo stands for emotive hardcore but I didn't know fugazi was one of the founders of emo Fuh sho

Clone
That first song doesnt sound like emo. It doesnt sound like what emo really is, and like Slay said, these guys don't even sound like the bands that get mis-labelled as emo. Cliche heartbreak lyrics don't make a band emo. Fuh sho how many emo styles are there? is that why taking back sunday say they're alternative now and not emo??

RedAlertv2
Well in my opinion, the only true emo is the likes of bands like Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, and Jawbreaker. But somewhere along the line people started labeling a lot of modern bands as emo, under the pretense that emo stands for "emotional." Which I think is silly, all music is emotional in one way or another.

I would call Taking Back Sunday pop rock. I haven't heard their new stuff but their old work definitely wasn't emo, and I've never really been clear on what alternative means.

Clone
Well in my opinion, the only true emo is the likes of bands like Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, and Jawbreaker. But somewhere along the line people started labeling a lot of modern bands as emo, under the pretense that emo stands for "emotional." Which I think is silly, all music is emotional in one way or another.

I would call Taking Back Sunday pop rock. I haven't heard their new stuff but their old work definitely wasn't emo, and I've never really been clear on what alternative means. you have no idea how many times i tried to understand the whole emo movements. sad sad double sad face

i do understand emo kids have the blame in starting the confusion

LLLLLink
For me, "emo" comes to mind when I hear phrases that suggest a lack of self-esteem or a desire to harm yourself. Perhaps that is a bit harsh, but meh. I still like Bullet.

RedAlertv2
Lyrics alone aren't enough to qualify a band as emo. There's nothing wrong with you liking this band, but calling them emo is inaccurate.

Blinky
Since you seem to like labeling music so much... why not just give their music the most accurate and descriptive label of "shit".

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Blinky
Since you seem to like labeling music so much... why not just give their music the most accurate and descriptive label of "shit".
"Shit"?

I have no idea what kind of bands you listen to, but they're probably "shittier" than BFMV.

LLLLLink

It's always nice to see that there are still people out there ignorant enough to take their narrow, limited, and in most cases biased opinion and wave it around like it's the final authority on /b/.

One day, when you grow up, you will realize that everyone's opinion is merely based on their perspective, and that the only reason you think this music looks like shit is because you are sitting in some. wink

mikeydude
Oahhh, BFMV, deffnately Neither.
I wouldnt even call them metalcore. Their nowhere close. Trust me their just metal.

None of their stuff is hard enough to be metalcore. And emo stuff is generally, like HIM, or Hawthorne Hights.
And they dont even scream enough to be screamo. Now, stuff like I Set My Friends On Fire, is most deffnately screamo. Its kinda old. But still.

If you wanna listen to metalcore listen to ABACABB, or Chelsea Grin, or even Carnifex. Although Carnifex is satanist metal.

But still, neither of these genres classify BFMV.

LLLLLink
Nu metal?

mikeydude
What?

LLLLLink
I heard someone call it that once, but IDK wtf it is.

RedAlertv2
Nu-metal is like....Linkin Park, Korn, and Limp Biskit. Generally a genre to be avoided.

BFMV are simply metal. Watered down metal maybe, but metal nonetheless. Screamo isn't a genre at all. It's a word that only gets used by the same people who still think that emo stands for emotional.

mikeydude
Nu-metal is like....Linkin Park, Korn, and Limp Biskit. Generally a genre to be avoided.

BFMV are simply metal. Watered down metal maybe, but metal nonetheless. Screamo isn't a genre at all. It's a word that only gets used by the same people who still think that emo stands for emotional.
I disagree. Screamo is a genre. It says so on the album of you cant spell slaughter with out laughter, by i set my friends on fire.
And if you look at genres on a media player it has a screamo genre.

LLLLLink
Now this sounds a bit different...

F5CnRr_nzc8

BlackZero30x
BFMV is one of my favorite bands and i definitely say it's Metal.....not always as heavy but still they are metal at the core

I mean a few Albums that are less then heavy(but they still have the aggression) does not constitute an entire change in genre.

LLLLLink
I think I'm gonna learn some of their music on my guitar.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by mikeydude
I disagree. Screamo is a genre. It says so on the album of you cant spell slaughter with out laughter, by i set my friends on fire.
And if you look at genres on a media player it has a screamo genre. Neither of those things are enough to make it a true genre.

mikeydude
Neither of those things are enough to make it a true genre.
how?

you have no evidence to make it not a genre.
its just your opinion compared to actual music critics or people who make a living classifying things like this....

RedAlertv2
Its your job to provide evidence here, not mine. If I tried to claim that "weed-core" is a genre, I would have to provide evidence of that. So far the only evidence you have is that one particular band claims themselves to be screamo. That's not good enough, because if I made an album and labelled it "weed-core" that wouldn't make it any less of a fabricated term. Same thing for the media player example. In my Itunes under genres I see "progressive deathcore," "acoustic," "nintendocore," "gothic rock," and many other inaccurate or fabricated genre names.

It doesn't matter how common the usage of a term is, if it was never a genre in the first place, common usage doesn't make it so. It's the exact same reason HIM and Hawthorne Heights aren't emo, as you've suggested. Even though its become commonplace for people to call a lot of these modern bands emo, the fact is that emo is something entirely different, and it doesn't matter if a million people are misinformed, ignorance doesn't become truth through sheer numbers.

LLLLLink
I don't consider BFMV screamo in my own personal opinion, but one could argue that it is screamo for the simple fact that it contains screaming.

To make a judgement call of the genre based on the "amount" of screaming is fallacious, for that is just a personalized perception of the amount of screaming it takes to be classified as "screamo". The only question that matters is an absolute one; "Does this music contain screaming or doesn't it?"
Anything more than that is only a matter of opinion and not fact.

RedAlertv2
You wouldn't call a rock band "singo" just because it contains singing. Its silly to call a metal band "screamo."

LLLLLink
You wouldn't call a rock band "singo" just because it contains singing. Its silly to call a metal band "screamo."

Precisely. They are merely tags given by the unwashed masses. Only what is fact matters. The rest is conjecture.

Blinky

LLLLLink
Originally posted by LLLLLink
It's always nice to see that there are still people out there ignorant enough to take their narrow, limited, and in most cases biased opinion and wave it around like it's the final authority on /b/.

One day, when you grow up, you will realize that everyone's opinion is merely based on their perspective, and that the only reason you think this music looks like shit is because you are sitting in some. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.