Unintentionally Racist Concepts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
Article at Cracked.com got me thinking.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18502_the-5-most-unintentionally-offensive-comic-book-characters.html

Thoughts?

marwash22
relatively speaking, there still aren't many ethnic heroes which is both sad and irrelevant. Sad because ya know, comics often try to portray events as they would happen in the real world, and last i checked, white people aren't the only people walking around. It's also a bit irrelevant because as a comic reader, I just wanna see a mofo get knocked through a building, I don't particularly care what ethnicity the person is.

There should be more ethnic heroes and even bystanders, but it would look awfully suspicious if there were all of a sudden an inordinate amount for no apparent reason.

This isn't really comic related, but i always found it funny that on the original power rangers, the Black guy was the black ranger and the Asian girl was the yellow ranger... Hrrrrrm.

Q99
My thoughts are? They can probably find worse.

roughrider
It's hard to find a worse example than Tyroc, on that list. sick

And I'm suprised about Rawhide Kid. I know that MAX series came out just a few years ago, but to make him act like such a queen in the old west...? thumb down

Q99
Originally posted by roughrider
It's hard to find a worse example than Tyroc, on that list. sick

And I'm suprised about Rawhide Kid. I know that MAX series came out just a few years ago, but to make him act like such a queen in the old west...? thumb down

Yea, and that was apparently the big hook.

Gay can be done well in comics, just look at Apollo and Midnighter, or Obsidian over in Manhunter, or Renee Montoya, and several others. But you still gotta write them well.

BlackZero30x
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-twitter-campaign-wants-community-actor-to-be-first-non-white-spider-man.html

my point of view on this could be misconstrued as racist(which i am not)

xmarksthespot
Jubilee is an asian girl in a yellow raincoat, whose mutant power is to make fireworks... erm

roughrider
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-twitter-campaign-wants-community-actor-to-be-first-non-white-spider-man.html

my point of view on this could be misconstrued as racist(which i am not)

OK...I've been thinking about this all day...

No, I'm not in favour of a black actor playing Spider Man. But I have to quantify that, because I've been on record saying it's fine to change the racial makeup of characters, to better reflect the multicultural society we live in. So I'm saying it's really fine just for background, supporting characters - who you would consider 'racially neutral.'
I think when it's your main character, you should honour who they are.

So, yes to changing Nick Fury, Kingpin, Harvey Dent - that's OK, as they just support the leads. No to Spider Man; just like I would say no to a white Luke Cage.

(...Although, would Blade work with a white actor?...)

roughrider
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Jubilee is an asian girl in a yellow raincoat, whose mutant power is to make fireworks... erm

And then there is... roll eyes (sarcastic)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Claw

BlackZero30x
OK...I've been thinking about this all day...

No, I'm not in favour of a black actor playing Spider Man. But I have to quantify that, because I've been on record saying it's fine to change the racial makeup of characters, to better reflect the multicultural society we live in. So I'm saying it's really fine just for background, supporting characters - who you would consider 'racially neutral.'
I think when it's your main character, you should honour who they are.

So, yes to changing Nick Fury, Kingpin, Harvey Dent - that's OK, as they just support the leads. No to Spider Man; just like I would say no to a white Luke Cage.

(...Although, would Blade work with a white actor?...)

that's my exact opinion...in fact i made a group on facebook trying to make that point widely known

Q99
Also, introducing new characters that happen to be a wider variety of races is good. You don't have to change old ones, you can add in your Renee Montoyas, Jaime Reyes, Ryan Chois, Aquagirls, etc..

I thought Jubilee was a vampire?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Q99
Also, introducing new characters that happen to be a wider variety of races is good. You don't have to change old ones, you can add in your Renee Montoyas, Jaime Reyes, Ryan Chois, Aquagirls, etc..

that's how i see it, tbh. if people want more latino/black/asian characters, then create new ones. don't go changing old ones.

apparently she will be soon.

and re: that list, yeah, marvel has been pretty cruel to irish people in the past, banshee being a prime example.

JakeTheBank
As a biracial guy myself, I don't really like the idea of changing people's ethnic backgrounds just for the sake of having a token ______ character. All it does is cheapen said background instead of doing it justice to begin with.

marwash22
Spiderman is white, stupid twitter people. I'd boycott the hell out of a movie in which they made Peter Parker a black guy... and I'm a black guy. In the case of Kingpin, i understood it because MCD is/was at the time the only actor big enough in size to pull off the roll. In the case of Spiderman though, there's plenty of white dudes running around hollywood, so no.

Also, no to a white Blade... lol, doesn't even fit with the character's background or style.

How about the Madarin...

Martian_mind
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
As a biracial guy myself,.

Totally misread that Bi word, and got my hopes up.

Damn you Jake, you and that tight hetero booty.

Deadline
Originally posted by -Pr-
that's how i see it, tbh. if people want more latino/black/asian characters, then create new ones. don't go changing old ones.

I think I would agree with that.

and re: that list, yeah, marvel has been pretty cruel to irish people in the past, banshee being a prime example.

I always thought Banshee was kinda cool don't know that much about him, theres Black Tom Cassidy but thats only two I can think of. In my opinion I think Irish can be a bit like being black both people have gone through alot of persecution. I can see a black person and an Irish person both seeing their nationality and race as an important aspect of who they are due to the persecution. The difference is that a black person wouldn't care wether they were from Ghana or the West Indies they just want more black characters. However I don't see being Irish the same as being French, Spanish or any othert European nationality (except German maybe).

Gecko4lif
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Totally misread that Bi word, and got my hopes up.

Damn you Jake, you and that tight hetero booty.

Why would you want my sloppy seconds stick out tongue

roughrider
Ethnic stereotyping kinda applies all over the world, well intentioned or not. When they create a whole group of heroes for Canada (Alpha Flight), we get variations on cold weather & Indian mysticism. We get no cool vigilantes or aliens who land & get raised here.

Deadline
We get no cool vigilantes

Wolverine? Maybe cos Canada is relatively less crime free.

dmills
I don't see too many "racist" concepts. Maybe some socially insensitive ones, but nothing racist. I do think that some of the attempts at "diversity" come off as forced and thus lame.

roughrider
Originally posted by Deadline
Wolverine? Maybe cos Canada is relatively less crime free.

Wolverine started out as a stereotype (taking off a northern-dwelling animal known for vicious behavior) but luckily evolved into the original concept that inspired a generation of anti-heroes.

Speaking of crime free, I always think there are too many British TV crime shows, considering the tiny amount of gun violence that happens there. big grin

Deadline

Speaking of crime free, I always think there are too many British TV crime shows, considering the tiny amount of gun violence that happens there. big grin

Depends where you go, but its nowhere near bad as America. Manchester is particularly bad.

Bentley
According to you Punisher should be working in Mexico.

Deadline
Originally posted by Bentley
According to you Punisher should be working in Mexico.

Me? Why?

Q99

And also, just as importantly, don't kill them off again three years later for cheap drama.

Bentley
There is no such thing as "unintentionally racist".

Bentley
Me? Why?

Plural you. The idea of Canada having less heroes because of its lesser crime.

Q99

Something can have a message that comes off as racist without a person consciously deciding for that to be the case pretty easily.

Digi

Originally posted by Q99
Something can have a message that comes off as racist without a person consciously deciding for that to be the case pretty easily.

That. The Lois Lane issue they gave in the original link is a prime example.

Bentley
The reader can be the one putting the racist overtones, readers are co-authors of fiction. Racism on itself responds to a choice of considering valid the idea of "race", which is a term as subjective as it comes.

(And please, refrain from imparting a genetics course in here, there is racism that comes from "families" who don't have any genetic difference between them)

roughrider

It can mean the same thing as 'patronizing' or just being naive, or well intentioned. The Lois Lane issue was well intentioned, as an example.

Disappear
i, as a mid-twenties white guy, have absolutely no problem with donald glover playing spider-man. i actually would prefer it to the other choices i've heard being mulled around. i've been a fan of donald's since i first saw the "bro rape" comedy bit (derrick comedy, check it out,) and all their random other videos. i don't see peter parker's race as such a necessary and integral part of that character that it needs to be preserved at the expense of a qualified actor's portrayal.

srankmissingnin
I like Donald Glover, he is hilarious in everything I have seen him in (Community, and Mystery Team at least, some of his skits are awful). I think he would make a great Spider-man, but I'm not sure he would make a great Peter Parker. Compared to the string of dubious actors that are in the running for the part right now he is perfect though.

I thought Rawhide Kid as an effeminate gunsling rogue was hilarious.

marwash22
more to the issue at hand here, he's not perfect... 'cause he's black!

Deadline

Sure there is, its just ignorance.

Plural you. The idea of Canada having less heroes because of its lesser crime.

Thats probably how some Americans view it. "Nothing really happens in Canada..meh."

Naija boy
Totally against this black spiderman idea. IMO it would look extremely forced and an obvious attempt at political correctness. In the case of a character as major as spiderman, Id prefer the movies to reflect the characters actual history as much as possible which includes his race/ethnicity.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Naija boy
Totally against this black spiderman idea. IMO it would look extremely forced and an obvious attempt at political correctness. In the case of a character as major as spiderman, Id prefer the movies to reflect the characters actual history as much as possible which includes his race/ethnicity. you're a racistno expression

Deadline
Totally against this black spiderman idea. IMO it would look extremely forced and an obvious attempt at political correctness. In the case of a character as major as spiderman, Id prefer the movies to reflect the characters actual history as much as possible which includes his race/ethnicity.

I agree.

BlackZero30x

thumb up

i will never watch this movie if it actually happens.

Naija boy
Originally posted by Starscream M
you're a racistno expression

Despite being completely African (born and raised in Nigeria), i am infact racist cuz i dont want to see a black spiderman......makes sense since we Nigerians are clearly white supremacists.

P.S i sincerely hope u werent serious.

Starscream M
Despite being completely African (born and raised in Nigeria), i am infact racist cuz i dont want to see a black spiderman......makes sense since we Nigerians are clearly white supremacists.

P.S i sincerely hope u werent serious. lol did you seriously just pull the "i'm black so I can't be racist" card?

why don't you want to see a black spiderman? as long as he is still geeky and a loser nerd...I don't see what's wrong with him being black.

Naija boy
lol did you seriously just pull the "i'm black so I can't be racist" card?

why don't you want to see a black spiderman? as long as he is still geeky and a loser nerd...I don't see what's wrong with him being black.

No what i just pulled was the "Im black and clearly not a hater of my own race so take ur pretentious and hypocritical political correctness regarding racism and shove it up ur ass" card smile

Seriously the effrontery of some people is bewildering. I dont want to see a black spiderman because........spiderman in the comics isnt freakin black, he is white. Thats how he has been throughout his history and how he will remain. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Attempting to deliberately change his race in order to "accomodate" the minority is not a sign of racial acceptance. It instead just elevates the issue of race to a position it never previously held.

Ive seen u make retarded comments on the issues of comics in general but for u to come at me with ur nonsense regarding racism is a new low even for ur dumbass.....And i didnt think that was even possible facepalm

Deadline
No what i just pulled was the "Im black and clearly not a hater of my own race so take ur pretentious and hypocritical political correctness regarding racism and shove it up ur ass" card smile

Seriously the effrontery of some people is bewildering. I dont want to see a black spiderman because........spiderman in the comics isnt freakin black, he is white. Thats how he has been throughout his history and how he will remain. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Attempting to deliberately change his race in order to "accomodate" the minority is not a sign of racial acceptance. It instead just elevates the issue of race to a position it never previously held.

Ive seen u make retarded comments on the issues of comics in general but for u to come at me with ur nonsense regarding racism is a new low even for ur dumbass.....And i didnt think that was even possible facepalm

*sigh* Im sorry Starscream but....owned. Ouch!"

Starscream M

Ive seen u make retarded comments on the issues of comics in general but for u to come at me with ur nonsense regarding racism is a new low even for ur dumbass.....And i didnt think that was even possible facepalm you assclown....having a black spiderman isn't accomodating anyone...companies are in the business of making money. if they cast a black spiderman, its experimentation just like many forms of art. it is only elevated as a race issue because of sensitive racist clowns like yourself who is hung up on race. spiderman is fictional character, he can be whatever marvel wants him to be.

JakeTheBank

I agree. It's not racist to want to stick to the character's ethnic background. Making Spider-Man black just for the sake to have a mainstream hero be made black doesn't do anything for race relations. Peter Parker was a white kid growing up in Queens. That's who he is, was, and odds are, always will be in comics. I'm comfortable enough in my own racial background that I can enjoy comics without going "Hey, I want to see more black/biracial characters," or griping because Superman or whoever isn't black.

Naija boy
you assclown....having a black spiderman isn't accomodating anyone...companies are in the business of making money. if they cast a black spiderman, its experimentation just like many forms of art. it is only elevated as a race issue because of sensitive racist clowns like yourself who is hung up on race. spiderman is fictional character, he can be whatever marvel wants him to be.

Just shut it before u make an even bigger fool of urself. Race sensitive my ass. Ur the mentally impaired person that stated i was being racist by NOT wanting a black spiderman. I stated i didnt want one because it would look unnatural. Now ur trying to project ur own pretentious ideas onto me? LMFAO. Moreover if they cast a black spiderman in order to make money.....by attracting more of the black community then it IS an attempt to accomodate the minority which brings the whole issue of race to the forefront........sigh, were u born with this level of idiocy or did u pick it up as u grew older? Wanting a company to stick with the portrayal of a major character is not a racial issue, it has to do with the desire for them to respect that characters history. I dont want marvel experimenting on the character, i want the movie to be an accurate reflection of comic spiderman nothing more.

Please try confining ur displays of ignorance to the realm of comics and away from more serious matters. smile

Starscream M
I agree. It's not racist to want to stick to the character's ethnic background. Making Spider-Man black just for the sake to have a mainstream hero be made black doesn't do anything for race relations. Peter Parker was a white kid growing up in Queens. That's who he is, was, and odds are, always will be in comics. I'm comfortable enough in my own racial background that I can enjoy comics without going "Hey, I want to see more black/biracial characters," or griping because Superman or whoever isn't black. I doubt they're making spiderman black for race relations roll eyes (sarcastic)

geez, you guys are overthinking this thing.

Deadline
I doubt they're making spiderman black for race relations roll eyes (sarcastic)

Are you serious? Its got nothing to do with race relations?

Naija boy
I agree. It's not racist to want to stick to the character's ethnic background. Making Spider-Man black just for the sake to have a mainstream hero be made black doesn't do anything for race relations. Peter Parker was a white kid growing up in Queens. That's who he is, was, and odds are, always will be in comics. I'm comfortable enough in my own racial background that I can enjoy comics without going "Hey, I want to see more black/biracial characters," or griping because Superman or whoever isn't black.

Exactly. the fact that a comic character is black or white is irrelevant to my enjoyment of the comic. Hence for major characters regardless of his or her ethnic background id still prefer to see the movie remain true to the comic in that area in the exact same way id want the movie to remain true to the comic in regards to his other attributes. To call that racist is absolutely laughable and idiotic...though after witnessing the mental abilities of the person in question, it is also unsurprising.heh

roughrider
I would sooner accept a black Wonder Woman than a black Spider Man - so long as Beyonce doesn't play her. stick out tongue

BlackZero30x

dude seriously claim down. you don't mind a black spider-man and that's kool but we do. not because of the actor being black but because peter parker is not black. if you go and start changing things about a character then why not just make something else entirely.

take the new Friday the 13th.....it was a horrible interpretation of the originals. in fact it was so different they should have just called the movie something else and been done with it.

so honestly man making this big of a change is not a problem do to racism it's a problem because spider-man wasn't created black.

marwash22
Black Wonder Woman? Ummmm, no!

But seriously, I'm against making any previously established white character, black, or Asian, or Latin... just no!

marwash22
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
take the new Friday the 13th.....it was a horrible interpretation of the originals. in fact it was so different they should have just called the movie something else and been done with it. thumb up

roughrider
You know, I told a Philippine friend of mine about how the Atom was now an Asian guy - part of that broadening of culture I was talking about - and he laughed and said "Oh, I get it. Because they think Asians are SMALL, right?" stick out tongue
Sometimes you can't win, no matter what you intend...

Blanket

geez, you guys are overthinking this thing. lol

HueyFreeman
I think changing a comic books characters race only works sometimes, but for the most part its a bad idea. Nick fury already has an established black counterpart in the ultimate universe so it was no problem for samuel jackson to take the role. I also think Michael Clarke Duncan was a pretty good choice in daredevil despite how bad the movie was. Spiderman, however is not a good choice to start dabbling with race. I reserve judgement on idris elba playing heimdall since its not like he has such an elaborate history anyway.

xmarksthespot

geez, you guys are overthinking this thing. Stop failing.

Disappear
first, to say "they're making spider-man black" seems a bit of an extension. so far as i've seen, they've yet to decide who to cast, and all this is revolving around one comment by some exec.
second, does it really matter? really? how often is a point made about spider-man being distinctly white? is his ethnicity brought up throughout the comic as a point of interest about the character at all? i vaguely remember maybe one self-referential joke he makes about being a white kid from queens. i, as a fan, just don't see it as a defining part of his character; at least insofar as to exclude qualified actors from portraying him.
i understand the argument for wanting to keep the movies reflective of the comics. but this isn't going to be an iron man or an incredible hulk reboot. as far as i know sony still has the rights to spider-man, so they're gonna butcher it just like they and fox have butchered their hero movies in the past. if a better, black actor can give a better performance than a lesser, white actor, i could care less that he's black. it's not such a critical part of the character that it would upset me more than another all-around weak spider-movie.

marwash22
What if i told you that tomorrow, DC will announce that when Bruce Wayne returns, he will be a black man? Being a white male isn't a defining part of Batman's mytho, but it is a consistent, never changing, element in his story throughout the characters history... changing that aspect, drastically changes the character.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by marwash22
What if i told you that tomorrow, DC will announce that when Bruce Wayne returns, he will be a black man? Being a white male isn't a defining part of Batman's mytho, but it is a consistent, never changing, element in his story throughout the characters history... changing that aspect, drastically changes the character.

man everyone thinks im insane over spider-man but if it were bruce wayne no one has any idea just how crazy i would get.

i mean just know no he's completely off limits. lol

anyways sorry its early and i saw your comment lol

but yea it would totally change things just like it would if they do it to spider--man

Bentley
It can mean the same thing as 'patronizing' or just being naive, or well intentioned. The Lois Lane issue was well intentioned, as an example.

Sure there is, its just ignorance.

Thats probably how some Americans view it. "Nothing really happens in Canada..meh."

Answer to both: Racism exists, it just doesn't click as all that inmoral when you ignore or when you use "positive racism", is still racist. Not all kinds of racism answer to slavery, klukluxclan, apartheid, israelo-palestinien or tribe wars; there are simply many kind of racism. Most of them are still injustified.

(Ignorance could be a fair justification but wouldn't make it less racist)

Deadline
Answer to both: Racism exists, it just doesn't click as all that inmoral when you ignore or when you use "positive racism", is still racist. Not all kinds of racism answer to slavery, klukluxclan, apartheid, israelo-palestinien or tribe wars; there are simply many kind of racism. Most of them are still injustified.

(Ignorance could be a fair justification but wouldn't make it less racist)

Its still unitentional racism and that doesn't make a person bad.

Denny Crane
How about Latveria, presumably an european country, comes to africa and rapes Wakanda for natural resources. Doom overthrows the goverment, establishes his own puppet leader and procedes to strip away wakanda's natural resources. Kinda hope it happened by accident and it wasn't an intentional colonialism allegory.

marwash22
If you wanna go there, you can assert that the entire premise of X-Men/mutants is social commentary on race relations.

Bentley
Its still unitentional racism and that doesn't make a person bad.

Glad we agree that racism isn't necesarily evil.

psycho gundam

Ive seen u make retarded comments on the issues of comics in general but for u to come at me with ur nonsense regarding racism is a new low even for ur dumbass.....And i didnt think that was even possible facepalm naija bodied you here

roughrider
Originally posted by Denny Crane
How about Latveria, presumably an european country, comes to africa and rapes Wakanda for natural resources. Doom overthrows the goverment, establishes his own puppet leader and procedes to strip away wakanda's natural resources. Kinda hope it happened by accident and it wasn't an intentional colonialism allegory.

When did that happen? During Hudlin's run?

Darth Martin
(...Although, would Blade work with a white actor?...) whistle

peejayd

* Banshee could have been a much cooler character, but he's dead now... Black Tom is okay... Siryn si hot... stick out tongue

-Pr-
Originally posted by peejayd
* Banshee could have been a much cooler character, but he's dead now... Black Tom is okay... Siryn si hot... stick out tongue

lol, and she's STILL a stereotype.

roughrider
It's not just comics. People love to stereotype the Irish, Scots & Aussies in popular entertainment, because of the perception they're colourful. Sometimes Canadians get stereotyped, but mostly Americans think we've bland & boring - except on a hockey rink, where we turn into savages.

Bentley
I always though Canadians were furry and small, you know, because of Puck and Wolverine.

roughrider
I always though Canadians were furry and small, you know, because of Puck and Wolverine.

No sir, the lumberjack stereotype is quite true. big grin Shorties like Logan & Puck are the exception.

Deadline
but mostly Americans think we've bland & boring - except on a hockey rink, where we turn into savages.

Thats exactly what I was trying to say.

Glad we agree that racism isn't necesarily evil.

That just didn't sound right.

Bentley
Hey, it could've been worse.

Glad we agree that racism is a necesary evil.

Deadline
Hey, it could've been worse.

Are you trying to be a smart arse? Cos I think you're trying to put words into my mouth.

-Pr-
It's not just comics. People love to stereotype the Irish, Scots & Aussies in popular entertainment, because of the perception they're colourful. Sometimes Canadians get stereotyped, but mostly Americans think we've bland & boring - except on a hockey rink, where we turn into savages.

i've seen your hockey matches; the stereotype is accurate. and awesome at the same time.

roughrider
i've seen your hockey matches; the stereotype is accurate. and awesome at the same time.

Regrettably so. I'm ashamed of the hockey violence that gets excused as being 'part of the game.'

Bentley
Are you trying to be a smart arse? Cos I think you're trying to put words into my mouth.

I'm just messing with ya big grin

williamberry
yeah really an interesting episode.

Allankles
I don't see how this Black spiderman thing is something to argue about. Peter Parker is white, however Spiderman can be black,that is if a black guy takes on the mantle of Spiderman.

Unless its Peter Parker from a parallel reality, there's no way that Parker can be black - being that he is set in stone ficitionally.

Trackz
unless the character is an icon or their race is a large part of their character, then changing the race shouldn't matter. however, spiderman is to popular to be subject to a change like that, it's not racist to say so, similarly it's not sexist to not want spiderman to be played by a woman.

characters like flash thompson and the like could easily be subject to a race change. just my opinion.

Bentley
Originally posted by Allankles
I don't see how this Black spiderman thing is something to argue about. Peter Parker is white, however Spiderman can be black,that is if a black guy takes on the mantle of Spiderman.

Unless its Peter Parker from a parallel reality, there's no way that Parker can be black - being that he is set in stone ficitionally.

I don't share this view, Parker is not set in stone as BND showed.

Creshosk
Jubilee is an asian girl in a yellow raincoat, whose mutant power is to make fireworks... erm The yellow raincoat is due to her being patterned after Robin.

It's a bit worse than simply "asian girl" If she were Japanese there'd be nothing wrong there. However, she's Chinese and has the fireworks powers.

Of course not many people realize that the Chinese invented fireworks, nor do people seem to remember that she's fully Chinese and not of mixed racial origins. For example she's frequently drawn without the palpebronasal giving her a more Caucasian look.

roughrider
Originally posted by Creshosk
The yellow raincoat is due to her being patterned after Robin.

It's a bit worse than simply "asian girl" If she were Japanese there'd be nothing wrong there. However, she's Chinese and has the fireworks powers.

Of course not many people realize that the Chinese invented fireworks, nor do people seem to remember that she's fully Chinese and not of mixed racial origins. For example she's frequently drawn without the palpebronasal giving her a more Caucasian look.

So it's OK she's Chinese and must have fireworks powers?

That's like saying Black Panther should wield a super spear, cause all black people know about spear chucking. evil face

Creshosk
So it's OK she's Chinese and must have fireworks powers?

That's like saying Black Panther should wield a super spear, cause all black people know about spear chucking. evil face

What does this part mean to you?

roughrider

-Pr-
Black Power from the recent JLA arc is probably a throwback to that.

roughrider
You know, I don't get offended by the term 'honky.' If some black person called me that, I would just go "Yeah, sure."
Maybe that's part of growing up in the least-discriminated club in the world: the white anglo-saxon christian male club.

GGS
On the flipside of this debate i want to talk about something that has never gelled with me;

Hudlin making Dr Doom racist when he never was before.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by GGS
On the flipside of this debate i want to talk about something that has never gelled with me;

Probably a Doombot. The real Dr Doom knows Eugenics is a load of horseshit.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Omega Vision

Which raises the question: "why make a racist Doombot?"

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by GGS

becuase hudlin a racist.

He loves to potray people mostly (white) as idiots or racists, while potraying blacks as superior in both senses.

Dum Dum Dugan
do you honestly believe this?

Hudlin with out a doubt ment it to be doom, not a doombot

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by Allankles

Unless its Peter Parker from a parallel reality, there's no way that Parker can be black - being that he is set in stone ficitionally. http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/01/20/a-year-of-cool-comic-book-moments-day-20/

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Dum Dum Dugan
do you honestly believe this?

Hudlin with out a doubt ment it to be doom, not a doombot
I know what Hudlin intended, I'm telling you the logical in-Universe explanation.

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Which raises the question: "why make a racist Doombot?"
I can't pretend to understand the mind of Doom. Sometimes he's so brilliant he just might be ****ing retarded.

Bentley
I know what Hudlin intended, I'm telling you the logical in-Universe explanation.

I can't pretend to understand the mind of Doom. Sometimes he's so brilliant he just might be ****ing retarded.

Maybe he became friends with herr Skull and Namor, both are as racist as they come evil face

Dum Dum Dugan

he wrote it, that how it is in the marvel universes, I not sure how that even debatable

dude ur explanation is even more illogical then doom him self being racist, so doom not racist but he created his doom bot to be? come on now.

What happen is hudlin a racist he made doom racist for a story arc. Fact. That how it is, there is no other explanation for it, it was not some doom bot, it was doom. But as comic fans we know it complete bullshit and will and should be ignored. I just pretend it never happen.

GGS
I pretend it never happened as well i couldn't believe what i was reading at the time though especially after growing up with Dr Doom as one of my favourite characters, one of the biggest OOC moment in comics ever in my opinion.

Deadline
Originally posted by GGS

I'm not sure if he did you know. Scans?

GGS
I haven't got a scanner but he made a not very cool remark to Black Panther in BP #19.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by GGS
I pretend it never happened as well i couldn't believe what i was reading at the time though especially after growing up with Dr Doom as one of my favourite characters, one of the biggest OOC moment in comics ever in my opinion.
whats OOC stand for?

Yea I agree. I hate hudlin, and his reverses racism which is infact very much racism.

GGS
Out of character.

I don't mind Hudlin i enjoyed the whole Black Panther arc except for the bad handling of Dr Doom in that issue.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by GGS
Out of character.

I don't mind Hudlin i enjoyed the whole Black Panther arc except for the bad handling of Dr Doom in that issue.

I hate him becuase he so racist. White characters are always potrayed like idiots in his books when there are black hero's. Great example is the x-men black panther run he did. All the X-men acted like idiots except for storm and Black Panther even comments on how united poorly led they were inexperiences.

Creshosk
I hate him becuase he so racist. White characters are always potrayed like idiots in his books when there are black hero's. Great example is the x-men black panther run he did. All the X-men acted like idiots except for storm and Black Panther even comments on how united poorly led they were inexperiences. His attempts to make BP look smarter resulted in him making BP a gay scumbag.

Not a scumbag for being gay, but a scumbag for letting a great hero die and not trying to stop that.

The gay part comes from taking a pile of textbooks with you on your honeymoon.

Dum Dum Dugan
cosigned

basilisk
I don't think Hudlin's Panther run belongs in the unintentionally racist thread. In the intentionally racist thread maybe...

amnesia
Originally posted by basilisk
I don't think Hudlin's Panther run belongs in the unintentionally racist thread. In the intentionally racist thread maybe...

Wouldn't go that far smile

Deadline
Originally posted by GGS
I haven't got a scanner but he made a not very cool remark to Black Panther in BP #19.

Yea I know what did Doom say that was racist? Aw **** it I know what you're talking about.

I hate him becuase he so racist. White characters are always potrayed like idiots in his books when there are black hero's. Great example is the x-men black panther run he did. All the X-men acted like idiots except for storm and Black Panther even comments on how united poorly led they were inexperiences.

I suspect your right I think he made Cap look like a bit of a douche as well. I know how he feels but I think he should rise above it.

-Pr-
Originally posted by basilisk

possibly. i doubt anyone is that stupid/ignorant.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.