KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Unintentionally Racist Concepts

Unintentionally Racist Concepts
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

Unintentionally Racist Concepts

Article at Cracked.com got me thinking.

http://www.cracked.com/article_1850...characters.html

Thoughts?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 01:48 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

relatively speaking, there still aren't many ethnic heroes which is both sad and irrelevant. Sad because ya know, comics often try to portray events as they would happen in the real world, and last i checked, white people aren't the only people walking around. It's also a bit irrelevant because as a comic reader, I just wanna see a mofo get knocked through a building, I don't particularly care what ethnicity the person is.

There should be more ethnic heroes and even bystanders, but it would look awfully suspicious if there were all of a sudden an inordinate amount for no apparent reason.

This isn't really comic related, but i always found it funny that on the original power rangers, the Black guy was the black ranger and the Asian girl was the yellow ranger... Hrrrrrm.

Last edited by marwash22 on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 02:10 AM

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 02:04 AM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

My thoughts are? They can probably find worse.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 02:09 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

It's hard to find a worse example than Tyroc, on that list. sick

And I'm suprised about Rawhide Kid. I know that MAX series came out just a few years ago, but to make him act like such a queen in the old west...? thumb down

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 02:29 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

quote: (post)
Originally posted by roughrider
It's hard to find a worse example than Tyroc, on that list. sick

And I'm suprised about Rawhide Kid. I know that MAX series came out just a few years ago, but to make him act like such a queen in the old west...? thumb down

Yea, and that was apparently the big hook.

Gay can be done well in comics, just look at Apollo and Midnighter, or Obsidian over in Manhunter, or Renee Montoya, and several others. But you still gotta write them well.

Last edited by Q99 on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 03:25 AM

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 03:22 AM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackZero30x
Jack

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/mov...spider-man.html

my point of view on this could be misconstrued as racist(which i am not)

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 03:50 AM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xmarksthespot
CEO, BS Comics

Jubilee is an asian girl in a yellow raincoat, whose mutant power is to make fireworks... erm

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 04:39 AM
xmarksthespot is currently offline Click here to Send xmarksthespot a Private Message Find more posts by xmarksthespot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by BlackZero30x
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/mov...spider-man.html

my point of view on this could be misconstrued as racist(which i am not)

OK...I've been thinking about this all day...

No, I'm not in favour of a black actor playing Spider Man. But I have to quantify that, because I've been on record saying it's fine to change the racial makeup of characters, to better reflect the multicultural society we live in. So I'm saying it's really fine just for background, supporting characters - who you would consider 'racially neutral.'
I think when it's your main character, you should honour who they are.

So, yes to changing Nick Fury, Kingpin, Harvey Dent - that's OK, as they just support the leads. No to Spider Man; just like I would say no to a white Luke Cage.

(...Although, would Blade work with a white actor?...)

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 04:48 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Jubilee is an asian girl in a yellow raincoat, whose mutant power is to make fireworks... erm

And then there is... roll eyes (sarcastic)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Claw

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 04:52 AM
BlackZero30x
Jack

OK...I've been thinking about this all day...

No, I'm not in favour of a black actor playing Spider Man. But I have to quantify that, because I've been on record saying it's fine to change the racial makeup of characters, to better reflect the multicultural society we live in. So I'm saying it's really fine just for background, supporting characters - who you would consider 'racially neutral.'
I think when it's your main character, you should honour who they are.

So, yes to changing Nick Fury, Kingpin, Harvey Dent - that's OK, as they just support the leads. No to Spider Man; just like I would say no to a white Luke Cage.

(...Although, would Blade work with a white actor?...)

that's my exact opinion...in fact i made a group on facebook trying to make that point widely known

BlackZero30X:The Signatures XBL Gamertag

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 04:59 AM
BlackZero30x is currently offline Click here to Send BlackZero30x a Private Message Find more posts by BlackZero30x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Also, introducing new characters that happen to be a wider variety of races is good. You don't have to change old ones, you can add in your Renee Montoyas, Jaime Reyes, Ryan Chois, Aquagirls, etc..

Originally posted by xmarksthespot

I thought Jubilee was a vampire?

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 05:10 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Q99
Also, introducing new characters that happen to be a wider variety of races is good. You don't have to change old ones, you can add in your Renee Montoyas, Jaime Reyes, Ryan Chois, Aquagirls, etc..

that's how i see it, tbh. if people want more latino/black/asian characters, then create new ones. don't go changing old ones.

quote:
I thought Jubilee was a vampire?

apparently she will be soon.

and re: that list, yeah, marvel has been pretty cruel to irish people in the past, banshee being a prime example.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 06:04 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

As a biracial guy myself, I don't really like the idea of changing people's ethnic backgrounds just for the sake of having a token ______ character. All it does is cheapen said background instead of doing it justice to begin with.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 06:09 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Spiderman is white, stupid twitter people. I'd boycott the hell out of a movie in which they made Peter Parker a black guy... and I'm a black guy. In the case of Kingpin, i understood it because MCD is/was at the time the only actor big enough in size to pull off the roll. In the case of Spiderman though, there's plenty of white dudes running around hollywood, so no.

Also, no to a white Blade... lol, doesn't even fit with the character's background or style.

How about the Madarin...

Last edited by marwash22 on Jun 2nd, 2010 at 06:24 AM

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 06:21 AM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
As a biracial guy myself,.

Totally misread that Bi word, and got my hopes up.

Damn you Jake, you and that tight hetero booty.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 09:02 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

Originally posted by -Pr-
that's how i see it, tbh. if people want more latino/black/asian characters, then create new ones. don't go changing old ones.

I think I would agree with that.

Originally posted by -Pr-

and re: that list, yeah, marvel has been pretty cruel to irish people in the past, banshee being a prime example.

I always thought Banshee was kinda cool don't know that much about him, theres Black Tom Cassidy but thats only two I can think of. In my opinion I think Irish can be a bit like being black both people have gone through alot of persecution. I can see a black person and an Irish person both seeing their nationality and race as an important aspect of who they are due to the persecution. The difference is that a black person wouldn't care wether they were from Ghana or the West Indies they just want more black characters. However I don't see being Irish the same as being French, Spanish or any othert European nationality (except German maybe).

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 11:06 AM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

Originally posted by Martian_mind
Totally misread that Bi word, and got my hopes up.

Damn you Jake, you and that tight hetero booty.

Why would you want my sloppy seconds stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 11:30 AM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Ethnic stereotyping kinda applies all over the world, well intentioned or not. When they create a whole group of heroes for Canada (Alpha Flight), we get variations on cold weather & Indian mysticism. We get no cool vigilantes or aliens who land & get raised here.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 04:17 PM
Deadline

We get no cool vigilantes

Wolverine? Maybe cos Canada is relatively less crime free.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 04:31 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dmills
Centurion Prime

I don't see too many "racist" concepts. Maybe some socially insensitive ones, but nothing racist. I do think that some of the attempts at "diversity" come off as forced and thus lame.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2010 04:32 PM
dmills is currently offline Click here to Send dmills a Private Message Find more posts by dmills Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote