The Kraken versus Cloverfield...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
The Kraken (2010 Clash of the Titans version):

AamVyDW-t_A

Versus

Cloverfield:

bC6d5J4qXPI

They fight at Argos. The Kraken is trying to destroy Argos, while Cloverfield is trying to defend it.

Who wins?

KingD19
Kraken.

If it destroys enough of the city, it wins by default since it's Colverfield's job to defend it....2 giant monsters fighting will definitely destroy the city.

Another thing...Kraken was invulnerable and unstoppable...the only thing that stopped him was Medusa's head.

Tattoos N Scars
Originally posted by KingD19
Kraken.

If it destroys enough of the city, it wins by default since it's Colverfield's job to defend it....2 giant monsters fighting will definitely destroy the city.

Another thing...Kraken was invulnerable and unstoppable...the only thing that stopped him was Medusa's head.

True, but the Kraken was never carpet bombed either. I don't know how the Kraken would fare against modern weapons. I doubt the Kraken has Godzilla durability though.

KingD19
Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
True, but the Kraken was never carpet bombed either. I don't know how the Kraken would fare against modern weapons. I doubt the Kraken has Godzilla durability though.

If the most powerful God in the Greek pantheon says it's invulnerable to damage...it's invulnerable.

But yeah, it was stated to be invulnerable, but nothing ever challenged it, it was just turned to stone, which was a loophole since it didn't actually hurt it.

So for this board, it should be invincible.

Rogue Jedi
OK screw defending the city, they just fight. I didn't realize that protecting the city would hinder Cloverfield.

NemeBro
To me, the Kraken seemed far larger than Clover.

If nothing else, it should be able to smother Clover.

BruceSkywalker
not sure if the mini clovers can do any damage.. doubt clover can as well..

Kraken should do similar damage he showed in the remake

KingD19
Yeah, Kraken's huge compared to Cloverfield....he's so big that Hades had to keep him in an underwater trench.

AthenasTrgrFngr
If the most powerful God in the Greek pantheon says it's invulnerable to damage...it's invulnerable.

greek gods arent omniscient nor omnipotent... so im not really sure where you got that idea from

steverules_2
Kraken grabs cloverfield with it's tenticles and rips it in two

omgchos
Originally posted by AthenasTrgrFngr
greek gods arent omniscient nor omnipotent... so im not really sure where you got that idea from
Exactly. Plus it looked like Clovey was pretty damn invulnerable too. And the greek gods didnt have rocket launchers, or tanks.

BloodRawEngine
^I would think the Gods of Olympus >>> Military weaponry such as that (which killed Clover anyway).

By virtue of size at the very least, I think the Kraken has an inherent advantage. I think it was said somewhere by a developer on the movie that the Kraken was upwards of 500 feet tall (he looked way bigger though), whereas Clover stands about 30 stories tall (though I'm not sure of the length).

omgchos
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
^I would think the Gods of Olympus >>> Military weaponry such as that (which killed Clover anyway).

By virtue of size at the very least, I think the Kraken has an inherent advantage (I think it was said somewhere by a developer on the movie that the Kraken was upwards of 500 feet tall, where Clover stands about 30 stories, though I'm not sure of the length)
Clover didnt go down..... what movie did you watch. He was still walkin around when the credits rolled. What did they have in the movie that was greater than military weapons. Besides lightning.

steverules_2
Originally posted by omgchos
Clover didnt go down..... what movie did you watch. He was still walkin around when the credits rolled. What did they have in the movie that was greater than military weapons. Besides lightning.

The director of the movie said the creature was dead in an interview no expression

omgchos
Originally posted by steverules_2
The director of the movie said the creature was dead in an interview no expression
The director of Cast Away said that that box that Tom Hanks Was hanging onto the whole movie, had a satalite phone inside of it that was waterproof.....

We never see the Monster die. So it dont matter what the director says.

steverules_2
The director of Cast Away said that that box that Tom Hanks Was hanging onto the whole movie, had a satalite phone inside of it that was waterproof.....

We never see the Monster die. So it dont matter what the director says.

I don't think that really accounts for what the director of Cloverfield said though, I don't remember seeing the creature alive and well after they blew up NYC or seeing it walk or anything...I'd like to see this proof

omgchos
I don't think that really accounts for what the director of Cloverfield said though, I don't remember seeing the creature alive and well after they blew up NYC or seeing it walk or anything...I'd like to see this proof

U dont see anything at the end of Cloverfield. They drop some bombs then the camera gets crushed by rubble. Then the credits role.

BloodRawEngine

Yes he did. Not seeing the monster die is rendered irrelevent when it's confirmed to die. A director's words on an otherwise abiguous event that you're clearly trying to overinterpret with irrelevent comparisons >>> the ambiguous event on its own. In other words, it DOES matter. Clover's dead.

Besides their status as, you know, Gods, a piece of Hades turned into a 500 foot sea monster that, by the movie's story, singlehandedley defeated the Titans.

omgchos
Yes he did. Not seeing the monster die is rendered irrelevent when it's confirmed to die. A director's words on an otherwise abiguous event that you're clearly trying to overinterpret with irrelevent comparisons >>> the ambiguous event on its own. In other words, it DOES matter. Clover's dead.

Besides their status as, you know, Gods, a piece of Hades turned into a 500 foot sea monster that, by the movie's story, singlehandedley defeated the Titans.
Look u dont need to get so angry. And no it doesnt matter what a director says. He could say anything. There is no proof that hes dead. Im sorry.

And as for the story of the new clash of the titans. Sounds like it sucks. According to greek myth, zeus defeated the titans. Hades wasnt even in the origional clash of the titans. So if they **** up the story so much i dont even care about this thread nemore. The Kraken wins i guess.

But my point still stands.

KingD19
Well actually, the point is...if the guy who makes the movie says that the creature dies at the end of the movie....by default the thing is dead. If I'm the boss of a company, and I say you're fired at the end of the day...at 5 o'clock you're done.

We didn't see it, but that didn't mean it didn't die...it meant it died, but the camera got crushed before it died.

And they messed up the story, but the Kraken still was powerful enough to easily, and single handedly destroy every Titan...and the gods could do nothing to harm it.

Nemesis X
Funny how at the end of the credits in Cloverfield, that guy says "It's still alive" and the director says that Clover isn't. If it's dead, why have the director let the character say it isn't? If only we took a character's word over a director's. That way, the debate can keep on going.

steverules_2
He was still walkin around when the credits rolled.

U dont see anything at the end of Cloverfield. They drop some bombs then the camera gets crushed by rubble. Then the credits role.

confused So the creature WASN'T walking? You say the creature was walking around when the credits were rolling...and yet there was nothing after the credits to suggest it was alive. erm

omgchos
Well actually, the point is...if the guy who makes the movie says that the creature dies at the end of the movie....by default the thing is dead. If I'm the boss of a company, and I say you're fired at the end of the day...at 5 o'clock you're done.

We didn't see it, but that didn't mean it didn't die...it meant it died, but the camera got crushed before it died.

And they messed up the story, but the Kraken still was powerful enough to easily, and single handedly destroy every Titan...and the gods could do nothing to harm it.
That analogy doesnt apply hear. The boss is in charge and has the power to fire you. The director doesnt have the power to say things about the stroy after the fact as it applies to this forum. If you dont see something happen in the movie, or there is no after the fact allusion to it. then it didnt happen.

Like i said i didnt see the new one. I was under the impression that it wasnt gonna be that dissimilar from the old one. But it turns out wheneever someone remakes a movie they may as well have given it a different title. And i did say if all this BS about the kraken being a part of hades or w/e is true than he wins.

omgchos
confused So the creature WASN'T walking? You say the creature was walking around when the credits were rolling...and yet there was nothing after the credits to suggest it was alive. erm
Nothing to suggest it was dead either. Ur saying nothing after the camera broke means its dead. I dont see how thats proof that it died. Just cuz the director said it was dead means nothing. As my point about cast away showed you. A director can say anything about a movie after the fact. But if i mad a Robinson Caruso vs. Cast Away thread..... i could use the Satalite Phone that the director said was in the package. BEcause we never see the satalite phone, we cant use it in a movie vs. thread.

omgchos
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Funny how at the end of the credits in Cloverfield, that guy says "It's still alive" and the director says that Clover isn't. If it's dead, why have the director let the character say it isn't? If only we took a character's word over a director's. That way, the debate can keep on going.
See i keep trying to tell them. The director could say cloverfield was made of lollipops, it doesnt change the film.

steverules_2
Nothing to suggest it was dead either. Ur saying nothing after the camera broke means its dead. I dont see how thats proof that it died. Just cuz the director said it was dead means nothing. As my point about cast away showed you. A director can say anything about a movie after the fact. But if i mad a Robinson Caruso vs. Cast Away thread..... i could use the Satalite Phone that the director said was in the package. BEcause we never see the satalite phone, we cant use it in a movie vs. thread.

Yes but you were being a hypocrite...you were saying the creature was alive and yet we never saw that it was alive and yet you claimed that it was wrong to say the creature was dead because we never saw it die. I can see at two ways of suggesting the creature was dead but both connect to each other so could be one, but here we go:

1) They blew up the city and we saw that the creature WASN'T immune to military weapons, they did harm it so one big ass explosion that can take out a city I'm sure could take out Clover
2) The fact that the creature screamed in pain when the bomb went off could be seen as a fact that the creature died when it went off

Now I could also the director saying the creature was dead as a suggestion/hint towards the creature being dead but you won't accept that so there's no point.

omgchos
I never said he was 100% alive. But the fact that you dont see him die, is much more proof to him being alive, than him being dead. And i dont even know why ur still trying to convince me when ive already conceded that the Kraken wins. I mean when you make a movie where the kraken is some ultimate, titan killing hades spawn thing, then whats the point of arguing against it. And if you're gonna twist words and make accusations of hypocracy, then theres no point arguing with you. Especially when the argument is already over. If anything we should agree that remakes suck. And that Cloverfield kind of sucked too. Because the director doesnt know how to bring closure to a film properly.

Scythe
I still wanna see what that things mommy looks like, but first, I was under the impression that nothing could kill the Kraken.

omgchos
I said that a while ago. Cuz i havent seen the remake. And it turns out they made the Kraken somehow better than the gods or some shit. I already said he won. But they keep trying to convince me that Clovey is dead in the film.

Scythe
Yeah, in the remake they made it look like only Medusa's head can kill it, but at the same time, they didn't have the technology they have now, so can the Kraken be nuked? I don't know man, I just work here, haha. Who's the bigger beast out of these two? I hardly remember Cloverfield.

omgchos
I dont even know but from what i've bin hearing the Kraken is like 500 feet or something. And Clovey is like 250.

Scythe
Yeah, from what I remember, Clovey was as tall as a skyscraper, but the Kraken was pretty massive. I don't think the remake of Clash even showed where his body ends, did it?

omgchos
Dunno. Didnt see it. But i guess he was chillin in some oceanic trench. The Abyss status.

Scythe
Lookin' at the first video posted of the Kraken, he's a big b*tch. He has a protective husk that retracts from his back to his chest, so he's got defense as well as size on his side. His tentacles are enough to choke the shit out of anything that's choke-able sized. Unless we pull the: "Oh, if we didn't see him choke a b*tch onscreen, he can't possibly be able to do so, even though he has dozens of tentacles"-card that is so fondly waved around in some threads floatin' around here. So yeah, that's a win for this guy in my book.

omgchos
Yeah Kraken wins. Like i bin sayin.

Scythe
Oh, you have, haha. I just got here, started postin' randomely.

omgchos
'Sall good lol.

Scythe
Fully reading this thread, who's goin' for Clovey's side? This shit was decided before it even started. I'd like to hear some good Clovey side arguments.

omgchos
Well i figured since i had seen the origional clash, i could confidently post that Clovey stood a chance. But all i got in return was that clovey was dead somehow and the Remake Kraken is the most ultimate thing ever in a movie........ somehow.

steverules_2
I never said he was 100% alive. But the fact that you dont see him die, is much more proof to him being alive, than him being dead. And i dont even know why ur still trying to convince me when ive already conceded that the Kraken wins. I mean when you make a movie where the kraken is some ultimate, titan killing hades spawn thing, then whats the point of arguing against it. And if you're gonna twist words and make accusations of hypocracy, then theres no point arguing with you. Especially when the argument is already over. If anything we should agree that remakes suck. And that Cloverfield kind of sucked too. Because the director doesnt know how to bring closure to a film properly.

Hey I agree, I think that Kraken wins too. I didn't mind cloverfield and believe the ending kinda ruined it for me and as for the remake of COTT well...I prefer the original much, much more.

Scythe
The Kraken to me is one of those flawed characters that shouldn't be used in these kind of things. To gimp him, would be out of character of the character, just like using Neo, Jesus and Dr. Manhatten. I may be wrong about that last one, haven't seen every movie in the world, so there might be someone there that could beat him.

omgchos
Hey I agree, I think that Kraken wins too. I didn't mind cloverfield and believe the ending kinda ruined it for me and as for the remake of COTT well...I prefer the original much, much more.
I still dont understand why they remade it and changed things. I didn't think that was the point u know. Its not a remake so much as a knock off.

omgchos
Originally posted by Scythe
The Kraken to me is one of those flawed characters that shouldn't be used in these kind of things. To gimp him, would be out of character of the character, just like using Neo, Jesus and Dr. Manhatten. I may be wrong about that last one, haven't seen every movie in the world, so there might be someone there that could beat him.
Well in the first clash, the kraken was just a left over Titan that the gods had caged up for some reason. I mean they killed or enslaved all the other titans. This one just got locked up by Poseidon. But neways he wasnt unbeatable by any means. Its just that for some demi-god with no real super powers to speak of would need a weapon to beat it. In this case medusa's head. But they made the Kraken some type of higher than the gods creature in this one.

Scythe
The original one was neat, he reminded me of Gumby, I've always wanted to see them two fight.

Well in the first clash, the kraken was just a left over Titan that the gods had caged up for some reason. I mean they killed or enslaved all the other titans. This one just got locked up by Poseidon. But neways he wasnt unbeatable by any means. Its just that for some demi-god with no real super powers to speak of would need a weapon to beat it. In this case medusa's head. But they made the Kraken some type of higher than the gods creature in this one.

Yeah, at least that's the gist I got from the movie, he's UNBEATABLE.

omgchos
The original one was neat, he reminded me of Gumby, I've always wanted to see them two fight.
He looked like the creature from the black lagoon lol. And this one looked like the thing at the end of hellboy...... but with a big serated mouth and some arms.

steverules_2
I still dont understand why they remade it and changed things. I didn't think that was the point u know. Its not a remake so much as a knock off.

They thought that if they added more action sequences and better graphics that people would be like 'Wow this is awesome!' To me it was a knock off, I watched the original I think the day before I saw the remake, I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but gave it a go and I did enjoy it. Then I saw the remake and although the graphics were greatly and vastly much better it didn't make up for the fact that it was nothing compared the original. Some remakes I enjoy such as the 2006 remake of the hills have eyes, proof that a remake can be good when done correctly.

Scythe
I thought it looked pretty b*tchin' but should've been created as its own monster, not there to replace the original. I think I've deviated enough from the purpose of this thread, so I'm gonna get back on topic, so who wins here? Kraken? I know, right? Rematch you say? Oh, he won again.

omgchos
I thought it looked pretty b*tchin' but should've been created as its own monster, not there to replace the original. I think I've deviated enough from the purpose of this thread, so I'm gonna get back on topic, so who wins here? Kraken? I know, right? Rematch you say? Oh, he won again.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/3/7/129124757651427551.jpg

steverules_2
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/3/7/129124757651427551.jpg

I believe the cat won the oscar for best actor

omgchos
Least it wasnt Mo'Nique

steverules_2
Well with every cloud

Tattoos N Scars
The Kraken was not above the gods. First, he was contained by the gods..hence the phrase..."Unleash the Kraken". Second, the gods cursed Medusa into the form of a gorgon..which brought down the Kraken. If the gods can curse someone with the ability to turn any living being into stone...it stands to reason that the gods would possess similar powers within themselves.

RE: Blaxican

Why would you think that? no expression

Greek Gods were mostly pussies. Their the wrong type of Gods to fellate.

NemeBro
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Why would you think that? no expression

Greek Gods were mostly pussies. Their the wrong type of Gods to fellate. *They're

RE: Blaxican
So's your face.

Rogue Jedi
There.

jason34fh
That analogy doesnt apply hear. The boss is in charge and has the power to fire you. The director doesnt have the power to say things about the stroy after the fact as it applies to this forum. If you dont see something happen in the movie, or there is no after the fact allusion to it. then it didnt happen.

Like i said i didnt see the new one. I was under the impression that it wasnt gonna be that dissimilar from the old one. But it turns out wheneever someone remakes a movie they may as well have given it a different title. And i did say if all this BS about the kraken being a part of hades or w/e is true than he wins.
And here's what i'm thinking should have happened in the remake the titans that the kraken defeated should have come back fully alive and fought the current titans with the kraken interviening and killing them while wearing a pair of makeshift sunglasses to kill medusa tbtw.

lilshogun
I can see Cloverfield monster mating with the Kraken.

Projectvrd
Interesting topic, but I think I can add something to the Cloverfield side.

The point about the director saying the Clover monster being dead may not be valid as many times Hollywood decide to continue a franchise and suddenly a seemingly dead antagonist is alive and kicking. With there being plans for a Cloverfield sequel we may yet see baby Clover live to fight another day.

We also have the size comparisons, given that this is Greece we are talking about I am not entirely convinced the insider was right by saying the Kraken was 500 feet tall... Maybe he didn't, did he mean 500 ft long? I don't know, ain't seen the interview but Clover extended it's arm to the near top of a skyscraper after already starting to fall down after being hit by carpet bombs. It also nudged the helicopter with its head which was easily 500 feet in the air indicating it can jump even from a lying down position, that takes immense strength given its size.

On the issue of the Kraken being indestructible we must look at it in context, the Gods were right in that timeline as nothing around them could beat it down but how we're the Gods to know that today's military would have weapons that would be able to kill even them. Greek Gods were far from invincible themselves and they were more powerful than the Krakens kind, shoot rockets at the Krakens legs and would they remain in tact enough to support its weight? Non-magical weapons could kill Gods from that era in lore, today's weapons would do more damage.

If the Kraken was to strangle Cloverfield what is the stop Clover from biting through the tentacle? It easily bit through metal. And then let's look at biology...

The new Kraken appears to be somewhat bipedal but Cloverfield is no doubt quadrapedal, and even lighter quadrapedal animals can over power larger bipedal animals. Cloverfield had short stubby hind legs, longer fore legs. Like a bear or tiger, it likely utilises massive pushing power from the back to over power all other animals including larger prey. If we look at Likns, they are not powerful pushers because their hind legs are long and thin in relation. We have to assume Clover must be a tank in that regard because we have direct biliogical examples in the real world. With the Krakan standing, it could be three times bigger and five times heavier... Clover will still bowl it over, those short stubby legs were reason it ploughed through another Skyscraper after the main characters exited the buildings they rescues the girlfriend from. It's ridiculous pushing ability made that Skyscraper look like paper.

It would be a great fight but I don't think it quite as dry cut as some here believe, Zeus was vulnerable in lore... You can bet that the Kraken was as well even if they say differently in the film. Indestrucability is relative, and in Ancient Greek times a Challenger 2 tank would be indestructible for certain.

PS. Clover used it hands to shield it's face from a modern Stalin's Organ type machine, that's pretty darn awesome and unlike Kraken, he didn't appear to be slow and laboured. Before they reached that underground entrance he was moving over the buildings with good speed, and at the end with the stealth bomber he was moving across a manhattan block in a matter of seconds. I think it could knock down the Kraken and who knows what that wide opening gigantic mouth can do then?

This debate is alive smile

Impediment
I ain't reading all that shit.

stick out tongue

-kV-
Originally posted by Projectvrd
Interesting topic, but I think I can add something to the Cloverfield side.

The point about the director saying the Clover monster being dead may not be valid as many times Hollywood decide to continue a franchise and suddenly a seemingly dead antagonist is alive and kicking. With there being plans for a Cloverfield sequel we may yet see baby Clover live to fight another day.

We also have the size comparisons, given that this is Greece we are talking about I am not entirely convinced the insider was right by saying the Kraken was 500 feet tall... Maybe he didn't, did he mean 500 ft long? I don't know, ain't seen the interview but Clover extended it's arm to the near top of a skyscraper after already starting to fall down after being hit by carpet bombs. It also nudged the helicopter with its head which was easily 500 feet in the air indicating it can jump even from a lying down position, that takes immense strength given its size.

On the issue of the Kraken being indestructible we must look at it in context, the Gods were right in that timeline as nothing around them could beat it down but how we're the Gods to know that today's military would have weapons that would be able to kill even them. Greek Gods were far from invincible themselves and they were more powerful than the Krakens kind, shoot rockets at the Krakens legs and would they remain in tact enough to support its weight? Non-magical weapons could kill Gods from that era in lore, today's weapons would do more damage.

If the Kraken was to strangle Cloverfield what is the stop Clover from biting through the tentacle? It easily bit through metal. And then let's look at biology...

The new Kraken appears to be somewhat bipedal but Cloverfield is no doubt quadrapedal, and even lighter quadrapedal animals can over power larger bipedal animals. Cloverfield had short stubby hind legs, longer fore legs. Like a bear or tiger, it likely utilises massive pushing power from the back to over power all other animals including larger prey. If we look at Likns, they are not powerful pushers because their hind legs are long and thin in relation. We have to assume Clover must be a tank in that regard because we have direct biliogical examples in the real world. With the Krakan standing, it could be three times bigger and five times heavier... Clover will still bowl it over, those short stubby legs were reason it ploughed through another Skyscraper after the main characters exited the buildings they rescues the girlfriend from. It's ridiculous pushing ability made that Skyscraper look like paper.

It would be a great fight but I don't think it quite as dry cut as some here believe, Zeus was vulnerable in lore... You can bet that the Kraken was as well even if they say differently in the film. Indestrucability is relative, and in Ancient Greek times a Challenger 2 tank would be indestructible for certain.

PS. Clover used it hands to shield it's face from a modern Stalin's Organ type machine, that's pretty darn awesome and unlike Kraken, he didn't appear to be slow and laboured. Before they reached that underground entrance he was moving over the buildings with good speed, and at the end with the stealth bomber he was moving across a manhattan block in a matter of seconds. I think it could knock down the Kraken and who knows what that wide opening gigantic mouth can do then?

This debate is alive smile

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Also, after having seen the trailer, I have no doubt there will be Cloverfield/Kraken vs. Pacific Rim Monster threads in the future..

Casper Whitey
Originally posted by jason34fh
And here's what i'm thinking should have happened in the remake the titans that the kraken defeated should have come back fully alive and fought the current titans with the kraken interviening and killing them while wearing a pair of makeshift sunglasses to kill medusa tbtw. Odd bump.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.