Who has the smarter characters? Marvel or DC?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

byrdgang21
It's pretty obvious that DC in general has the stronger more powerful characters with most of their roster being uber.

But I think that Marvel may have the smarter characters.

Here are a few that come to mind:

DC- Batman, Luthor, Ivo, Palmer, Brainiac, Superman 1M

Marvel- Reed, Doom, Thanos, Banner, Leader, Sinister

Those are just a few. Please mention anyone else that comes to mind.

amnesia
Marvel do have smarter characters IMO.

Q99
It depends on how you judge smartest.

Marvel has more super scientists who claim insane IQs, but they tend to be savants. Reed Richards is great at science, but he's pretty dumb in a lot of ways.

On the whole, especially recently Marvel has placed a lot more emphasis in that area. Reed, Pym, Cho, that kind of IQ has gotten a lot of focus.

Bentley
Its almost impossible to gauge since tech in DC seems to be more accesible for scientists, and its not that impossible to break boundaries of dimensions and time without cosmic artifacts. I would almost go as far as to say DC's dimensional barriers are much easier to pass through.

Bouboumaster
I think that Marvel have, in general, the smarter characters. At least, on "Earth".

biensalsa
Generally speaking DC science is more advanced than Marvel's U

Individually Reed is really smart, but B5 is smarter

Brainiac or Henshaw are extremelly smart.

Henshaw has traveled the whole universe and has aquired a lot of knwledge.

But I still believe that B5 is even smarter than Henshaw

Why am I saying this?

Because as smart as Reed He has not realized his kids are probably not even his but Namor's laughing out loud

Colossus-Big C
its a toss up.

but you wonder why with all the scientist in the universe that someone hasnt accidently created something that destroyed the universe

Q99
Realistically, universes are huge. Just because you can destroy a planet or cross dimensions doesn't mean you should be able to do jack to a universe.

Desaad
Firstly, I think you need to clarify what you're talking about here.

I think that DC's most popular characters are more powerful - Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter, etc.

I wouldn't say that DC is 'in general' more powerful than Marvel, I'd say that their powerful heroes are more VISIBLE than those at Marvel. You've still got SIlver Surfer, Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Gladiator, Quasar, Blue Marvel, Sentry (up until recently), etc roaming around the MU.

In that same way, I'd say that Marvel's more visible characters are smarter than DC's visible characters. You've got Reed Richards, Hank Pym, Bruce Banner (especially recently), Amadeus Cho, Valeria Richards, T'Challa, Dr. Doom, Tony Stark plus all the members of the Intellegensia, etc.

But by that same token, you've got guys at DC who can match pretty much any of those guys for feats (with the exception of Reed). You've got Batman, Lex Luthor, Ray Palmer, Will Magnus, Niles Caulder, Professor Ivo, Brainiacs 1, 2, 3, & 5, Sardath, Mr. Terrific, Steel, Anarky, Kilowog (who built a time machine and the Rocket Reds), Rip Hunter, etc.

marwash22
Marvel has more omniscient beings.

Desaad
Like who?

marwash22
seriously?

Desaad
Sure.

Like who?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Desaad
Sure.

Like who?
The Unnamed, Off-Panel Lords Who Know All. 131

Desaad
I just doubt anytime anyone says 'omniscience'...it's such a vague term, and it normally doesn't mean much.

Is Eternity omniscient? If he is, why does he get trapped, beaten and generally treated like a child in almost every one of his appearances? Why does he have a worse win/loss record than Paste Pot Pete?

amnesia
Because eternity only fights when it's truly necessary.

chomperx9
forgot henry mcoy and dr strange and tony stark

Desaad
Originally posted by amnesia
Because eternity only fights when it's truly necessary.

That doesn't actually explain anything, though.

amnesia
He only fight enemies that are more powerful then himself.

Omega Vision
I just doubt anytime anyone says 'omniscience'...it's such a vague term, and it normally doesn't mean much.

Strictly speaking only one being can be fully Omniscient. Two beings with Omniscience would share all the same knowledge and experiences and would be mentally indistinguishable.

marwash22
nitpicking mofos...

Marvel has moar OMNISCIENT-LIKE BEINGS. sneer

Omega Vision
Originally posted by marwash22
nitpicking mofos...

Marvel has moar OMNISCIENT-LIKE BEINGS. sneer
Alright.

Like who?

Desaad
Originally posted by amnesia
He only fight enemies that are more powerful then himself.

So your argument is that he only fights enemies that he knows he's going to lose to? How does that make any sense?

And if he's truly omniscient, how does he get surprised by anything? Omniscience implies that he knows how everything is going to turn out, but he doesn't. That's why he gets angry, or afraid, that's how he gets beaten or trapped by cosmic cubes or 'killed' by Dormammu, defeated by the Gauntlet, etc.

These beings aren't omniscient, as portrayed. They're little more than CHILDREN, as portrayed.

Omega Vision
So your argument is that he only fights enemies that he knows he's going to lose to? How does that make any sense?

And if he's truly omniscient, how does he get surprised by anything? Omniscience implies that he knows how everything is going to turn out, but he doesn't. That's why he gets angry, or afraid, that's how he gets beaten or trapped by cosmic cubes or 'killed' by Dormammu, defeated by the Gauntlet, etc.

These beings aren't omniscient, as portrayed. They're little more than CHILDREN, as portrayed.
It's indeed possible that he could be Omniscient and still experience emotions in response to stimuli, he'd just know that he was going to feel those emotions beforehand and be unable to change how he feels, assuming Marvel is determinist that is.

Dr Manhattan from Watchmen for instance (not that he's Omniscient) knew that Laurie was going to tell him she slept with Dan but when she did tell him ten seconds after he told Laurie she was going to tell him he still felt hurt by the "revelation".

Not that I really think Eternity is Omniscient in the truest sense of the word, I think he might be Omniscient within the confines of 616.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Omega Vision

Not that I really think Eternity is Omniscient in the truest sense of the word, I think he might be Omniscient within the confines of 616. thats exactly what it means.
Multi Eternity is omnicent to the confines of the multiverse though.
and LT to the omniverse
Odin to Asgard

Desaad
Originally posted by Omega Vision
It's indeed possible that he could be Omniscient and still experience emotions in response to stimuli, he'd just know that he was going to feel those emotions beforehand and be unable to change how he feels, assuming Marvel is determinist that is.

Dr Manhattan from Watchmen for instance (not that he's Omniscient) knew that Laurie was going to tell him she slept with Dan but when she did tell him ten seconds after he told Laurie she was going to tell him he still felt hurt by the "revelation".

Not that I really think Eternity is Omniscient in the truest sense of the word, I think he might be Omniscient within the confines of 616.

But that's exactly right -- Dr. Manhattan ISN'T omniscient, and the entire crux of getting one over on him (ie, surprising him) was manipulating tachyons so that he DIDN'T see what was happening.

Eternity's anger came out of NOT knowing how things would play out, about desiring something or being dismissive of some small being (a small being who would eventually be important to the overall outcome of the conflict).

While I don't think showing emotion is indicative of a lack of knowledge, I do think being dismissive of a being who is ultimately going to have a heavy affect on the outcome of your big war indicates a lack of knowledge of the part that being is going to play, which would preclude omniscience. Same deal with being taken by surprise by the Cosmic Cubes of Magus, for instance.

Prep-Man
DC has the better scientists. And the cooler ones.

amnesia
Originally posted by Prep-Man
And the cooler ones.

That's just wrong.

Doom and Pym are teh sex.

Prep-Man
Doom, Reed, and Pym are cool, but DC has Chief, Will, Brainiac, TO Morrow, RIP, etc...

amnesia
Reed ain't cool.

Anyway, what's your user name on CV?

Prep-Man
I don't go to CV. sad

amnesia
really? But all your pictures are from CVno expression

Sr J-Bieb
Marvel hands down.

I don't think I need to explain.

I don't think either universe is actually more packed with powerfull characters than the other. As others put it, it's mostly a matter of exposition.

Same goes for marvel's superscientists,specially because DC's supergeniuses are mostly villanous, non-earthbased and non-human.

I would however say, marvel has more earth-based, non-cosmic and or human supergeniuses

Originally posted by Prep-Man
DC has the better scientists. And the cooler ones.

If I name the following as top supercientists, who from DC (that is also earth-based) would be better than they are?

high evolutionary
RR
doom
magneto
pym
stark
apocalypse
banner
beast
cho

these is a list of ten but the ranks of superscience in marvel expands far further of course

Q99
Brainiac 5 is Earthbased, just future Earth, and there's three different versions of him wink

Badabing
Originally posted by byrdgang21
It's pretty obvious that DC in general has the stronger more powerful characters with most of their roster being uber.

But I think that Marvel may have the smarter characters.

Here are a few that come to mind:

DC- Batman, Luthor, Ivo, Palmer, Brainiac, Superman 1M

Marvel- Reed, Doom, Thanos, Banner, Leader, Sinister

Those are just a few. Please mention anyone else that comes to mind. Use this thread.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=536712&highlight=title%3A%28smartest%29+forumid%3A77

Closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.