Do You Like Or Dislike Your Own Accent?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

majid86
I personally dont like my accent because it sounds like a horrible mixture of Brummie & Mancunian accents combined but i do try to changed it now & again especially at work.

So what do you guys like or dislike about your accents?

lil bitchiness
Yeah, it's a very southern where I studied and worked (London/Brighton) and a bit of Leeds going on sometimes (where I grew up).

Landan, innit.

majid86
lol, that true but IMO Leeds accent is so much cooler than Sheffield accent.
Asian girls with a Sheffield accent are SCARY!

Im sure 'innit' is a slang word from the Brummie accent.
I still love my hometown of Birmingham, but i still lol whenever someone says that Birmingham is a city with 1 million people with a speech impediment.

LMFAO

Quiero Mota
I speak with a Pachuco accent (Mexican-American talk). I really don't "like" or dislike it; its just the way its always been.

King Castle
its okay, i wish i had a real suave accent maybe a lil enrigue englesia's or antonio.

my voice is a mix of a cali beach bum and a redneck country.

when i was small i had a heavy cali barrio latin accent.. my mom did not like it.

now its:

check out that betty, brah....smokin, how'ya doin ma'am?

lord xyz
Love it.

But, well, my accent is more English in general with a bit of Doncaster...as that's where I live and grow up.

Donny!!!

majid86
Birmingham Accents (Brummie)

OxyBvYtJpl0

King Kandy
Pacific Northwestern accents are the most bland of all accents. So it's hard to care.

Symmetric Chaos
I don't have an accent, it's the rest of you that talk funny.

King Kandy
The defining traits of my accent are the way it's dropped all of the interesting characteristics of other accents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest_English

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by majid86
Birmingham Accents (Brummie)

OxyBvYtJpl0

Yeah, anything a bit more north is not well looked upon by Southerners. I don't like Livaaapoooooool accent...

I have cousins in B'Ham.

majid86
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Yeah, anything a bit more north is not well looked upon by Southerners. I don't like Livaaapoooooool accent...

I have cousins in B'Ham.

I actually visited Birmingham a couple of days ago, it was the first time in over 4 years that i'd been there & i actually got quite emotional seeing the city after such a long time. Northerners & Southerners can keep on slagging off Birmingham all they want but i dont give a crap anymore because even though i now live in London, i still say that im proud to be a Brummie and i love Birmingham to death.

And that video was excellent because it shows how great it was to see Birmingham shed off its industrial history and the city deserves to be called the UK's 2nd city.

Bouboumaster
My accent is horrible when I speak in english. However, it's pretty darn fine in french

RE: Blaxican
I have a lisp.

By-product of living in San Francisco.

Robtard
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I have a lisp.

By-product of living in San Francisco.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1471/terrorapeeo3.jpg

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/8353/jenniferconnellyhorse12hg9.gif

I don't really have a lisp though.

Robtard
Now this is ****ing odd, I Googled "black security guard" and hit images; this was one of the results:

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/16/l_8bb46b162f7f405fa05db560d00de2bf.jpg

Rob, give me a ride tomorrow. I've got to go from my house around Lake Merrit to my electrician's class in South City, and I've got to be there by 8:35. Don't feel like waking up at 5.

Robtard
Lake Merritt's in Oakland; I'm not going to Oakland, especially considering I've got to be at work tomorrow by 8:00 and I'll likely roll in around 9:10-20 as it is.

Sorry, bro.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Robtard
Now this is ****ing odd, I Googled "black security guard" and hit images; this was one of the results:

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/16/l_8bb46b162f7f405fa05db560d00de2bf.jpg Liar, you were googling gay rape images. Admit it.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Liar, you were googling gay rape images. Admit it.

Wasn't tonight.

Google "black security guard", select images and look at the 4th tier down. I'm using Firefox 3.6.8., though I don't think it matters.

samortan
I like the way i speak , i love it

Bardock42
It's alright, I don't mind having the really thick Scottish accent I have....other people don't usually understand me though.

Mindship
I like how I tawk. Ahm from New Yourk, duh city wit sumada best tap warduh goin'.

(Think of Goodfellas toned down a notch or two.)

amnesia
I dislike Norwegian.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Mindship
I like how I tawk. Ahm from New Yourk, duh city wit sumada best tap warduh goin'.

(Think of Goodfellas toned down a notch or two.) Wud you laike a cubba cawfee?

majid86
Cockney (East London) is the best UK accent imo
I can imitate it quite well.

Mindship
Originally posted by lord xyz
Wud you laike a cubba cawfee? Shor. Milk n shuguh. Thanx.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Mindship
Shor. Milk n shuguh. Thanx. No Prahblum. Yor Wehlcum.

§P0oONY
I personally dont like my accent because it sounds like a horrible mixture of Brummie & Mancunian accents combined but i do try to changed it now & again especially at work.

So what do you guys like or dislike about your accents? I like and dislike my accent. I like that it's pretty neutral and not very localised. At the same time my accent is considered posh. Which can be annoying.

Deja~vu
Being that I am from the midwest, I don't believe I have an accent. All the TV shows sound like me. Just boring. sad

ADarksideJedi
No I am use to people coming up to me and saying you are not from around here are you? and some people even say it sounds like an english accent but it is not just a NJ one.

The Nuul
Wait, are most people are even aware that they have a accent? I think not, for each person, they think they speak normally. Its only when some one else that doesnt speak that lang then they will have a accent.

majid86

majid86
Originally posted by Deja~vu
Being that I am from the midwest, I don't believe I have an accent. All the TV shows sound like me. Just boring. sad

That's exactly why i call the common American accent a 'Made For TV' accent because almost every i hear that particular accent whenever i go or comeback from work via the tube/subway its sounds like im listening to a tv/radio host.

Its a very distinctive accent especially the common female American accent. That accent can be very annoying & sexy at the same time.

Quiero Mota

Why do a lot of (usually white) people from the Midwest say they don't have an accent? Everyone does. Come to a Hispanic barrio in the Southwest, and you'll definitely be told so. You may even have to repeat words.

lil bitchiness

StyleTime
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Why do a lot of (usually white) people from the Midwest say they don't have an accent? Everyone does. Come to a Hispanic barrio in the Southwest, and you'll definitely be told so. You may even have to repeat words.
The midwestern accent is supposed to be the "neutral/General American" accent, so our countrymen with that accent are frequently called "accentless."

Also, our media heavily favors that accent. This leads to the perception that it is "normal" while other accents are "exotic."

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just answering the "why."

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by StyleTime
The midwestern accent is supposed to be the "neutral/General American" accent, so our countrymen with that accent are frequently called "accentless."

Also, our media heavily favors that accent. This leads to the perception that it is "normal" while other accents are "exotic."

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just answering the "why."

I wonder why that accent was chosen to be the flagship American accent. With the exception of Chicago, St. Louis and a few other places, its a really sparse area. When I was a truckdriver I would drive through the Midwest for hours on end without seeing so much as a farm-silo.

Rogue Jedi
I aint got no Texan accent y'all.

the ninjak
I never thought that I had an Australian accent until I recently listened to myself on TV.

Now i know why so many girls want me.

§P0oONY
Have you ever tried to change your accent to try to make yourself sound more local by any chance? Why would I want to change my accent?... As far as getting a job is concerned there is no way my accent can effect my chances and everyone in the british isles can understand me, which is more than can be said of some local accents.

I wonder why that accent was chosen to be the flagship American accent. With the exception of Chicago, St. Louis and a few other places, its a really sparse area. When I was a truckdriver I would drive through the Midwest for hours on end without seeing so much as a farm-silo.

Is there any latino stereotype you don't support?

roughrider
Originally posted by the ninjak
I never thought that I had an Australian accent until I recently listened to myself on TV.

Now i know why so many girls want me.

I had an Aussie girlfriend two years ago, here on a work exchange, who thought my Canadian accent was sexy. (And I thought I just had a deep voice.)

Quiero Mota
Is there any latino stereotype you don't support?

Yeah: us being a bunch of illegals, who listen to ranchera music, and wear massive hats.

I was just thinking about this^ sentence and it reminded me of something. I lived in Hattiesburg, Mississippi for a little over two years, and I can still recall that every single anchor and reporter at the local news show spoke with a Midwestern accent. That tells me that the station either went out of its way to deliberately find and hire people who talk like that, or they were a bunch of Southerners faking a Midwestern accent (not likely). Either way, its pretty sad. It just seems to me that people living in a small town would rather listen to someone who sounds like them. Since from their point of view, the Midwest would be "exotic".

Quiero Mota
Although when I was stationed in Hawaii, I remember that those news-anchors all talked like local Hawaiians (because they all were). So I guess it would have been too much of a hassle to ship a bunch of corn-fed Kansans out to HI.

BackFire
My cousins in Boston think I have a California accent, and that I sound kinda surfer dude-ish. Even though I don't surf. I don't hear it myself, but oh well.

Deja~vu

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just answering the "why." Well that is also what I've heard and when I hear people from the south or Boston, etc. they don't enunciate the same. They are pronouncing words wrong. Heck it's like the spelling is different.

Example: Toilet - Terlet
Barrett - Brett
Wash - warsh

Sometimes in the far south, I just cannot understand some fast food places..I have to resort to pointing. confused

Sorry to people in the south or Boston and some other places. Please don't take offence.

Also at one time telemarketing companies were all stationed in the midwest for the reason that they felt we didn't really have an accent. Maybe it was just that ours was the most easly understood. I'm not sure how it was picked. Not now though.. Hello India. And we all HATE THAT. That is one that I just cannot understand.

majid86
My accent sounds alot better now since in live in South London.
Thank God.

I can pull of a good American/Canadian accent pretty well.
I should become a voice acto.

StyleTime
I've heard that it is the easiest to understand when compared to other regional accents.
I was just thinking about this^ sentence and it reminded me of something. I lived in Hattiesburg, Mississippi for a little over two years, and I can still recall that every single anchor and reporter at the local news show spoke with a Midwestern accent. That tells me that the station either went out of its way to deliberately find and hire people who talk like that, or they were a bunch of Southerners faking a Midwestern accent (not likely). Either way, its pretty sad. It just seems to me that people living in a small town would rather listen to someone who sounds like them. Since from their point of view, the Midwest would be "exotic".
Interesting story. It's hard to separate the illusion the media presents from reality sometimes. I played on Xbox Live one night and someone had a massive echo in their mic. I heard myself talking and was like "WTF? Is that ME?! THAT'S what I sound like?" When you grow up constantly hearing midwestern accents, you even consider your own accent weird.

Hollywood has convinced the world that we actually sound like that. sad
Well that is also what I've heard and when I hear people from the south or Boston, etc. they don't enunciate the same. They are pronouncing words wrong. Heck it's like the spelling is different.

Example: Toilet - Terlet
Barrett - Brett
Wash - warsh

Sometimes in the far south, I just cannot understand some fast food places..I have to resort to pointing. confused

Sorry to people in the south or Boston and some other places. Please don't take offence.

Also at one time telemarketing companies were all stationed in the midwest for the reason that they felt we didn't really have an accent. Maybe it was just that ours was the most easly understood. I'm not sure how it was picked. Not now though.. Hello India. And we all HATE THAT. That is one that I just cannot understand.
My sister lived in New Orleans for a bit, and she cosigned on those pronunciations. She said a woman there "corrected" her when she said "orange." Apparently, many of them pronounce it "ernge." Also, all soda is referred to as "cold drank."

I actually had an Irish woman assist me with an issue I had at microsoft. It was cool, but I did need her to repeat a lot of stuff. I think I annoyed her though.

King of Anglia
Yeah, it's alright I suppose. I've never really thought about it too much. I don't really have much of an accent, I'm from the South West of England but don't have that regional twang. It's always described as posh by Northerners.

I'd love to have a Woody Allen-esque accent.

Impediment
I have a Texas accent, but not like Hank Hill.

StyleTime
More like Beyonce? 131

Yeah: us being a bunch of illegals, who listen to ranchera music, and wear massive hats.

You seriously don't wear the big hats? That's like, the best part of being Mexican. You're missin' out, bro.

Points for not lsitening to Ranchera though. That stuff sucks.

StyleTime
I wear the hats and I'm not even Mexican.

Quiero Mota
You seriously don't wear the big hats? That's like, the best part of being Mexican. You're missin' out, bro.

Points for not lsitening to Ranchera though. That stuff sucks.

I really don't wear hats at all. When I used to shave my head, I'd sometimes wear a beanie or a bandana. But now, I slick my hair back.

I wear the hats and I'm not even Mexican.

On a regular basis or special occasions? During Cinco de Mayo and Mexican Independence those things are mandatory. sombrero2

majid86
I love the Mexican American accent especially the ones in the movie called Blood In Blood Out.
Awesome film

Quiero Mota
I love the Mexican American accent especially the ones in the movie called Blood In Blood Out.
Awesome film

What is it you like about the Chicano accent? I mean, other than movies or tv, I'm assuming you've never really heard it in real life.

King Castle
this video you can get a good idea of a ghetto american/mexican accent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDvbga1Eigs
WoVm8S6Fihk

majid86
What is it you like about the Chicano accent? I mean, other than movies or tv, I'm assuming you've never really heard it in real life.

Because it just sounds so awesome & my friend from work is a Mexican American, he's from Los Angeles and his accent is cool as hell.
I have a lot of respect for Mexico & Mexicans & i wish there were more Mexicans living in London because you guys have alot self respect, honour, self dignity & cultural pride. And that means alot to me.
I cant wait to visit Mexico next year as part of my long North American trip.

And oh yeah Mexicans look almost the same as Desi people.
So nuff respect from me.

StyleTime
On a regular basis or special occasions? During Cinco de Mayo and Mexican Independence those things are mandatory. sombrero2
I was jk. I'm not a hat person. I'm not a sunglasses person either. Actually, I wear no accessories whatsoever now that I think about it.
I have a lot of respect for Mexico & Mexicans & i wish there were more Mexicans living in London because you guys have alot self respect, honour, self dignity & cultural pride.
Hmm...

King Castle
dont forget to due the pyramid tour.. pyramid of the sun and the moon.

also by a trinket from the mexican indigenous aka Native ppl

Quiero Mota

Hmm...

I know, those are some sweeping generaliztions. Though I'll give him the culrtural pride part.

majid86
Originally posted by King Castle
dont forget to due the pyramid tour.. pyramid of the sun and the moon.

also by a trinket from the mexican indigenous aka Native ppl

OK, i'll try to check those places out in Mexico City alongside Guadalajara & Cancun.
I don't speak Spainsh not even at school, i did German instead but im sure i'll be able to master the basic phases, i speak 6 languages already (English, Punjabi, Urdu, Hindi, Kashmiri & some German) so that's why.

§P0oONY
OK, i'll try to check those places out in Mexico City alongside Guadalajara & Cancun.
I don't speak Spainsh not even at school, i did German instead but im sure i'll be able to master the basic phases, i speak 6 languages already (English, Punjabi, Urdu, Hindi, Kashmiri & some German) so that's why. I always thought that Urdu and Hindi were the same language... Just written differently.

majid86

§P0oONY
Yes, you are correct but they are now considered 2 separate languages & nobody has a problem with it.
So if someone can speak Urdu then they can speak Hindi automatically & vice versa. Good, good... Just checking.

I speak Australian, American, English and Scottish... I'm also pretty fluent in New Zealandish but I need practice. stick out tongue

King Castle
i realize i have to languages hence two accents.

my spanish sounds more monotone and not too fluid.

majid86

lil bitchiness

§P0oONY
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Pffft, I speak all those plus Canadian....mhm Yeah? Well I just leaned South African, Irish and West Indian English mhm

And throw in South Asian English to boot.

majid86
South Asian English is very hard to master because every word has a hand or head signal to go with it.
So if your gonna do it, then do it right because you might end up with a slipper thrown at you if you f*ck up the timing of your words & head/hand signals.

§P0oONY
South Asian English is very hard to master because every word has a hand or head signal to go with it.
So if your gonna do it, then do it right because you might end up with a slipper thrown at you if you f*ck up the timing of your words & head/hand signals. I learned it over the phone... You know... From BT and stuff.

majid86

§P0oONY
My phone conversations with BT go like this:

Me:Hello
Them: Good morning, I'm calling from BT to..
Me: Not interested.
<beep>

majid86
lol

Same thing with me

StyleTime
I know, those are some sweeping generaliztions.
It's why we love our dear majid86.

majid86
lol

Thanks for that

Grog_Burton
i hate it when im in other countires and i hear it

Quiero Mota

Symmetric Chaos

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I speak English with a suburban New Jersey accent and can affect a terrible English RP accent or a fairly good Irish brogue.

I stumble through Spanish with an "kid who was forced to take a several years of foreign language with awful teachers and never really cared" accent, but seriously its probably more like it's spoken in Spain than South America since the "ll" is "y" rather than "j".

My Japanese teacher was from Osaka so my pronunciation of Japanese words (I can't even string a sentence together) likely has a Kansai accent.

So your teacher was a Spaniard, and not Latino?

I can hold a decent conversation in Japanese, which I picked up while I was in the service. The Okinawan variety.

King of Anglia

movielover2010
I hate my accent for sure. Try to change it better.

movielover2010
i don't like my accent

Symmetric Chaos
So your teacher was a Spaniard, and not Latino?

No, at some point the public schools where I live decided to pick one pronunciation and stick with it.

MildPossession
I like my accent, it's just the pitch of my voice I'm not keen on. Apparently I sound lovely, but to me I have a high squeeky voice, especially when I'm nervous.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.