Classics You Can't Stand!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnakeEyes
Okay, so I think it's safe to say we all love movies, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

But, I also know that we don't love ALL movies. I just got done watching (part of) Robert Altman's "Nashville," which is hailed as a masterpiece. It is well-made on a technical level but I really couldn't stand it. Maybe it's because I hate country music, or because it features a billion characters but never focuses on any long enough for the viewer to care, maybe I didn't "get it," or relate. Regardless of the reason, I didn't like this "masterpiece" of a film one bit.

So, that made me curious - which classics, masterpieces, or universally-liked films did you dislike or hate and why?

§P0oONY
Good topic. Although one that I had to give a lot of thought in to.

Citizen Kane - I don't hate or dislike it... I'm just really indifferent.
Annie Hall - For some reason I've never been able to watch it for longer than half an hour without simply getting bored.

SnakeEyes
Have to agree with you on Citizen Kane. Seen it twice and both times it left me feeling nothing really; just indifference.

Love Annie Hall though.

Kaibs
I was thinking I was the only one who was going to say Citizen Kane. I understand what made it so "great" which is the film techniques that Wells used, but as a movie I just didn't care for it. But I definitely respect it for what it was and what it's done.

K.Diddy
erm The GodFather,I wouldn't say that I cant stand it,but I do find alot of the movie quite slow and boring,too be honest

Kaibs
Blasphemy Diddy. Blasphemy.

Kazenji
Yeah well whoopti doo.....i'm another one that finds it too slow and boring.

SnakeEyes
Godfather's awesome.

I'm not sure I made this clear earlier, but these don't all have to be older films, they can be any film that's considered a "masterpiece" or is near universally well-liked; so they can be recent films too.

Kazenji
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Godfather's awesome.

Awesome if you want to fall asleep.

steverules_2
Apocalypse now...wasn't really that into it

MildPossession
I don't dislike it, but I can not see what the big fuss is over Casablanca. This always pops into my head when this subject it brought up.

Another film of his that I thought was one big bore of a film, A Prairie Home Companion. I can't stop watching a film, have to get to the end, but I was waiting for this to end more or less from the start... don't think it's hailed as a masterpiece though.

The Nuul
Originally posted by K.Diddy
erm The GodFather,I wouldn't say that I cant stand it,but I do find alot of the movie quite slow and boring,too be honest

Originally posted by Kazenji
Awesome if you want to fall asleep.

QFMT!

Dr Will Hatch
I don't know if the movies were any better, but I read the book versions of "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" and "Lord of the Flies" and thought that they were both pretentious and juvenile.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Kazenji
Awesome if you want to fall asleep. haermm

Myth
Citizen Cane
Gone with the Wind
Casablanca

Aede Madavan
The Big Lebowski is the only one I can think of.

RE: Blaxican
The Godfather, for sure.

Batman Begins was lame.

Return of the Jedi was boring except for the space battles.

Iron Man 1 & 2 I guess... can't really think of any others.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Aede Madavan
The Big Lebowski is the only one I can think of.

BS, you just did that to troll RJ.

Impediment
Gone with the Wind.

There. I said it.

It was boring to me.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Impediment
Gone with the Wind.

There. I said it.

It was boring to me.

Nice pick.

Nosferatu or old Dracula films.

Alpha-7
Casablanca is a film that has never done anything for me.

Aede Madavan
Oh yeah Star Wars OT as well.

SnakeEyes
Kubricks early films - The Killing, Paths of Glory, Spartacus, and Lolita don't do anything for me, despite all being hailed as masterpieces and/or winning several awards.

Also, I couldn't finish Barry Lyndon...

Dare I say, could it be that Kubrick is a tad overrated?

§P0oONY
Kubricks early films - The Killing, Paths of Glory, Spartacus, and Lolita don't do anything for me, despite all being hailed as masterpieces and/or winning several awards.

Also, I couldn't finish Barry Lyndon...

Dare I say, could it be that Kubrick is a tad overrated? Kubrick is a real talent, one of the best directors of all time. Does that mean everything he made is great?.... nah...

I have to say Star Wars, all of it... never really did anything for me. They're alright but I don't get the fandom.

To throw some modern films into the pot:

Kick Ass - Really thought it was overrated, the good guys were worse than the bad guys.
Bourne Trilogy - Just didn't like it... Especially the camera work in action scenes.
Dark Knight - Now, I don't think this is a bad film at all. But I can't stand that it gets such high praise. I feel the film dragged; I found myself looking at my watch on several occasions. Batman Begins was a better film IMO.

SnakeEyes

§P0oONY
The film's climax is where I really take issue. I know it's a comedy so I probably shouldn't really care or read anything into it... When Hit-Girl kills people it's kind of funny and cute, simply because you know that's the way she was brought up and it's pretty novel seeing a cute little kid kill people. But when Kick-Ass and Hit-Girl infiltrate the building at the end and slay everyone for nothing more than revenge it's simply murder... and the fact that Kick-Ass participates after being so shocked at the drug dealers apartment (when we're first introduced to Hit-Girl) makes it even worse. I know that the film is playing on the "What a superhero would really be like in the real world" thing... but still. Kick-Ass is simply a murderer, it's not like it was in self-defence, they were attacking the building.

That's pretty much the reason why I didn't like the film. It left me feeling pretty hollow, which isn't great for a comedy. I also can't think of any gut-wrenchingly funny moments. I'm not saying it was the worst film I've ever seen or anything... not even close... and I respect it's originality. Saying that I'll probably just give Kick-Ass 2 a miss.

Alpha-7

Quiero Mota
I think all the movies that consistently make the "Top 10" lists are grossly overrated: Godfather, Wizard of Oz, Dr. Strangelove and so on. And not only is Citizen Kane overrated, I think it straight-up sucked.

It just seems like there's an unwritten law that everybody has to treat old movies as if they're all "masterpieces".

§P0oONY
I bloomin' love Strangelove... I don't know what it is about it (probably Sellers' performance(s)) but I love it.

SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes
Also, to add, I'm not sure I like Casablanca too much... It's shot beautifully, the script is clever... but I didn't find the romance all that genuine, which is what the movie hinges on. Maybe it's a generational gap thing, but the acting aka overracting that was popular in old films doesn't appeal to me and it certainly doesn't ring true.

While I'm at it - Psycho and The Birds; two beloved Hitchcock films -- can't stand 'em! Or at least just didn't enjoy them at all.

Aede Madavan

Aede Madavan
I really like the great old fims. There's a sort of elegance to them that you don't really get with modern filmmaking, at least in my opinion.

Impediment
Kick Ass is hardly a classic.

Dreampanther

The Nuul
Kick Ass is hardly a classic.

Nor is Batman Begins, TDK or Bourne.

Impediment
My point, exactly.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by The Nuul
Nor is Batman Begins

Not yet! stick out tongue

MildPossession
I had no problem with the killings in Kick Ass by HitGirl and so on, and didn't see the 'superheroes' as worse in anyway. As far as I see it, they got rid of evil people out of the world, all involved with that 'gangster' from what I can remember.

But yes, hardly a classic. But still rather good.

Kaibs
Meh. I liked watching Kick-Ass, but it's one of those movies I rather only see once than over and over. I thought it was definitely overrated, and I pretty much agree with everyone else in that it's not a classic. IDK why people are naming newer movies as classics, but oh well.

Kaibs
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I think all the movies that consistently make the "Top 10" lists are grossly overrated: Godfather, Wizard of Oz, Dr. Strangelove and so on. And not only is Citizen Kane overrated, I think it straight-up sucked.

It just seems like there's an unwritten law that everybody has to treat old movies as if they're all "masterpieces".

There's not an unwritten law to it... but I know what you mean. People just like it because it holds that much clout. I just don't like how people praise the films, and they have no idea why they were respected in the first place. Like Citizen Kane.

Kaibs
Also, to add, I'm not sure I like Casablanca too much... It's shot beautifully, the script is clever... but I didn't find the romance all that genuine, which is what the movie hinges on. Maybe it's a generational gap thing, but the acting aka overracting that was popular in old films doesn't appeal to me and it certainly doesn't ring true.

While I'm at it - Psycho and The Birds; two beloved Hitchcock films -- can't stand 'em! Or at least just didn't enjoy them at all.

The Birds was hilarious.

Aede Madavan
I'm not sure I made this clear earlier, but these don't all have to be older films, they can be any film that's considered a "masterpiece" or is near universally well-liked; so they can be recent films too.

§P0oONY
Kick Ass is hardly a classic. Originally posted by The Nuul
Nor is Batman Begins, TDK or Bourne. Originally posted by Impediment
My point, exactly.

Yay for not reading... no expression
Godfather's awesome.

Kaibs
And since was Kick-Ass considered a "masterpiece" or was near universally liked? It got 1 Star in a lot of ratings.

Aede Madavan
I'd add Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison to my list.

So as it stands: The Big Lebowski, The Star Wars OT, Kick Ass, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison.

Didn't realise there'd be that many (and there are probably a lot more randoms that I just haven't thought about yet).

Good thread btw. ^^

Aede Madavan
Originally posted by Kaibs
And since was Kick-Ass considered a "masterpiece" or was near universally liked? It got 1 Star in a lot of ratings.

"Near" would be a relative term, and potentially hyperbolic when considering its expansion into the term "near universally". It is up to the individual how exactly he/she would go about interpreting such a term.

Kazenji

Possibly due to the fact what Hit-Girl does is confronting for most of those people.

§P0oONY
And since was Kick-Ass considered a "masterpiece" or was near universally liked? It got 1 Star in a lot of ratings. It's just the impression I've gotten. I don't know why it's a big deal is really. Kick-Ass has made it on to the imdb top 250, a solid 75% on RT. You really are just nitpicking.

Dreampanther
I keep on falling asleep trying to watch Blade Runner. I know it's supposed to be a great film, and I'm sure it is - but it's just too slow for me. I saw it once when I was much younger, and ever since, whenever I try to watch it again, I can't get past the first half an hour or so before I fall asleep.

Myth
I'm confused on peoples' definition of "classics" after seeing some of the titles listed. Seems that any relatively well liked movie is considered a classic. Heck, Scott Pilgrim? A movie that came out just 1 month ago is a classic?

MildPossession
Don't know where you are reading reviews but everywhere I read the majority gave it 3 out of 5, hardly any 1-2 stars.

Aede Madavan
Originally posted by Myth
I'm confused on peoples' definition of "classics" after seeing some of the titles listed. Seems that any relatively well liked movie is considered a classic. Heck, Scott Pilgrim? A movie that came out just 1 month ago is a classic?

-Pr-
There's not an unwritten law to it... but I know what you mean. People just like it because it holds that much clout. I just don't like how people praise the films, and they have no idea why they were respected in the first place. Like Citizen Kane.

i actually watched Citizen Kane a couple of months back for the first time. Do I think it's the greatest movie ever made? No. Can I see why they say it is? Definitely. it takes a while to get going but it's a beautifully written, wonderfully acted piece that deserves to be called a classic imo.

ADarksideJedi
Any of the old western movies I can't stand.Not including movies that make fun of it like "The Three Amigos" also any of the James Bond movies as well.

Dr Will Hatch

§P0oONY
A pre-emptive strike with the sole purpose of killing everyone isn't defending oneself. The entire conclusion to the film was simply flawed.

I got that the film was comic-book satire... That much wasn't lost in the adaptation.

Kaibs
Originally posted by -Pr-
i actually watched Citizen Kane a couple of months back for the first time. Do I think it's the greatest movie ever made? No. Can I see why they say it is? Definitely. it takes a while to get going but it's a beautifully written, wonderfully acted piece that deserves to be called a classic imo.

Well if you understand why then by all means bro, I respect you for liking it. Definitely.

Dr Will Hatch

Impediment

§P0oONY
Kick Ass is hardly as masterpiece.

Thank you for playing. Try again soon.

Your taste in film is duly noted. Mate... He said "Nearly universily liked"... It's in the top 250 on iMDB... I'm using that as "nearly univerily liked"

You're creating an issue where there is none... Go back in your hole.

King Kandy
The Godfather Part II. A lot of people say it's better than the first, or even the best movie ever made. I didn't feel the first reached it's hype either, but II was a complete disappointment to me. It just seemed to come off as more confusing than anything else.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by King Kandy
The Godfather Part II. A lot of people say it's better than the first, or even the best movie ever made. I didn't feel the first reached it's hype either, but II was a complete disappointment to me. It just seemed to come off as more confusing than anything else. I reckon the Godfather films (especially the 2nd due to it's length) are better after a 2nd viewing. There is a lot to take in, a lot of characters, a lot of plot points. It's very easy to miss something. One thing I found confusing with my first viewing of The Godfather: Part II was the way they introduced Frank Pentangeli, he was a brand new character (basically taking Clemenza's role) and yet they treated him as if he was in the first. Whcih was confusing as I hadn't seen the first in ages and didn't know who he was.

Still, I like it a lot and I always juggle with it and the first for my favourite Godfather film.

King Kandy

§P0oONY
Originally posted by King Kandy
That's probably true, and I would like to see it a second time to see if it would improve. But for the first viewing, it was definitely a "classic I couldn't stand". Fair enough, I can fully understand why you'd dislike it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.