KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Classics You Can't Stand!

Classics You Can't Stand!
Started by: SnakeEyes

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Classics You Can't Stand!

Okay, so I think it's safe to say we all love movies, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

But, I also know that we don't love ALL movies. I just got done watching (part of) Robert Altman's "Nashville," which is hailed as a masterpiece. It is well-made on a technical level but I really couldn't stand it. Maybe it's because I hate country music, or because it features a billion characters but never focuses on any long enough for the viewer to care, maybe I didn't "get it," or relate. Regardless of the reason, I didn't like this "masterpiece" of a film one bit.

So, that made me curious - which classics, masterpieces, or universally-liked films did you dislike or hate and why?

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 12:59 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

Good topic. Although one that I had to give a lot of thought in to.

Citizen Kane - I don't hate or dislike it... I'm just really indifferent.
Annie Hall - For some reason I've never been able to watch it for longer than half an hour without simply getting bored.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 01:19 AM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Have to agree with you on Citizen Kane. Seen it twice and both times it left me feeling nothing really; just indifference.

Love Annie Hall though.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 01:33 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaibs
Oh Miley.

I was thinking I was the only one who was going to say Citizen Kane. I understand what made it so "great" which is the film techniques that Wells used, but as a movie I just didn't care for it. But I definitely respect it for what it was and what it's done.

Have you lost your mind? Tell me where you think we crossed the line. No more drugs for me, pussy and religion is all I need.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 03:12 AM
Kaibs is currently offline Click here to Send Kaibs a Private Message Find more posts by Kaibs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
K.Diddy
DiddyWood Style

erm The GodFather,I wouldn't say that I cant stand it,but I do find alot of the movie quite slow and boring,too be honest

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 08:13 AM
K.Diddy is currently offline Click here to Send K.Diddy a Private Message Find more posts by K.Diddy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kaibs
Oh Miley.

Blasphemy Diddy. Blasphemy.

Have you lost your mind? Tell me where you think we crossed the line. No more drugs for me, pussy and religion is all I need.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 08:51 AM
Kaibs is currently offline Click here to Send Kaibs a Private Message Find more posts by Kaibs Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Yeah well whoopti doo.....i'm another one that finds it too slow and boring.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 09:11 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Godfather's awesome.

I'm not sure I made this clear earlier, but these don't all have to be older films, they can be any film that's considered a "masterpiece" or is near universally well-liked; so they can be recent films too.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 10:28 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Godfather's awesome.

Awesome if you want to fall asleep.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 10:43 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Apocalypse now...wasn't really that into it

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 10:58 AM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't dislike it, but I can not see what the big fuss is over Casablanca. This always pops into my head when this subject it brought up.

quote:
Robert Altman's "Nashville," which is hailed as a masterpiece. It is well-made on a technical level but I really couldn't stand it. Maybe it's because I hate country music, or because it features a billion characters but never focuses on any long enough for the viewer to care, maybe I didn't "get it," or relate. Regardless of the reason, I didn't like this "masterpiece" of a film one bit.

Another film of his that I thought was one big bore of a film, A Prairie Home Companion. I can't stop watching a film, have to get to the end, but I was waiting for this to end more or less from the start... don't think it's hailed as a masterpiece though.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 03:31 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Originally posted by K.Diddy
erm The GodFather,I wouldn't say that I cant stand it,but I do find alot of the movie quite slow and boring,too be honest

Originally posted by Kazenji

QFMT!

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 04:30 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

I don't know if the movies were any better, but I read the book versions of "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" and "Lord of the Flies" and thought that they were both pretentious and juvenile.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 06:08 PM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Kazenji

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 06:46 PM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Citizen Cane
Gone with the Wind
Casablanca

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 11:32 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aede Madavan
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Big Lebowski is the only one I can think of.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2010 11:46 PM
Aede Madavan is currently offline Click here to Send Aede Madavan a Private Message Find more posts by Aede Madavan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

The Godfather, for sure.

Batman Begins was lame.

Return of the Jedi was boring except for the space battles.

Iron Man 1 & 2 I guess... can't really think of any others.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Sep 9th, 2010 12:14 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Originally posted by Aede Madavan
The Big Lebowski is the only one I can think of.

BS, you just did that to troll RJ.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2010 12:14 AM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Gone with the Wind.

There. I said it.

It was boring to me.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Sep 9th, 2010 12:18 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Originally posted by Impediment
Gone with the Wind.

There. I said it.

It was boring to me.

Nice pick.

Nosferatu or old Dracula films.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2010 12:23 AM