Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phanteros
gZ52mwNMJYI

gameplay

yC03bufEwBY

as the trailer stated its being created by Elder Scroll IV lead designer, R.A. Salvatore, and Todd McFarlane of Spawn fame.

Phanteros
Jjv6OgwlTyo

Phanteros
sdsGZbZWJQE Honestly this is where the fable series should of went.

ares834
I saw part of this on spike at first and actually thought it was the new Fable... Anyway it looks pretty impressive.

Phanteros
Originally posted by ares834
I saw part of this on spike at first and actually thought it was the new Fable... Anyway it looks pretty impressive. I get what you mean from the art style and clothing.

Phanteros
iHbt3u1hupM

Phanteros
b8haTdGZol4

jinXed by JaNx
looks promising

Phanteros
1kxeJV35LNk

Estacado
Looks badass!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyu38nXLcko

Demonic Phoenix
Anyone tried the demo yet?

Gameplay was actually pretty good, but the demo itself had some...problems.

BackFire
I initially played the demo just so I could get the Mass Effect armor, but I ended up enjoying it. I may get it for my brithday, we'll see.

BloodRawEngine
I've started finding this game to look pretty interesting with what I've looked at/read so far. The worst thing that an RPG combining both Action RPG elements and open-world RPG elements can have is a lack of polish on both ends. I haven't played the demo yet, so until then I can only really read others' feedback. Between this and the other upcoming RPG I find interesting, Dragon's Dogma, if either one ends up being half as good as Demon's/Dark Souls, I'll probably be satisfied. Thankfully, there's a three month gap between this game and Dragon's Dogma, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about having to choose based on a matter of money at the given time.

Phanteros
game got a 9 from IGN. Looks like it buries fable into the ground.

NemeBro
Played the demo, liked it a lot, though granted one of the presets for the first race was Teddy Roosevelt, which is basically instant brownie points.

After I get Dark Souls, my eyes will be on this.

BloodRawEngine
^What about the Terry Crews one?

NemeBro
I didn't notice that.

That is also pretty epic.

KingD19
Picking this up tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it is. Hopefully most or all the bugs from the demo were done away with. That and the time limit were the only things that killed the demo for me.

Mainly the time limit, I didn't get many bugs, and the ones I did get usually went away when I left that area.

BloodRawEngine
I didn't get any gameplay-killing bugs, but partway through the opening act, this pretty horrific audio glitch came up that muted most sounds, and even casued NPC-dialogue to skip in-game and go right to the choice responses. It was annoying, but I knew well-enough what it was I had to do, and it was pretty much the only bug I ran into. I'll give the game/demo the benefit of the doubt since I heard that the developers were supposedley forced to release this at the time they did.

That, and given the pretty solid reviews it has so far, the highest being a nine and overall average being in the 8-ish range, I'm pretty confident that even if the final game has something wrong, it's nothing that can't be patched. I'll have to give the demo a second go-through just to see if the problem returns, but I think I might have an idea of what caused it though--be it a couple of unintentional sequence-breaks or skipping too much. I'll be picking it up sooner or later, but probably not as soon as I'd hoped.

KingD19
I played the demo fives times all the way through. I never got that glitch. The only one I got was when the landscape stretched in places and became opaque as you walked through it. But like I said, it only lasted as long as I stayed in that area, and it never came above his legs.

BloodRawEngine
Good, then I know it's just me.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
Good, then I know it's just me.

It's not just you.

I ran into the same audio and convo glitch you did. It lasted until I restarted the demo. Odds of it happening in the the final release should be slim though.

RE: Blaxican
So I played the demo. It reminds me a lot of Fable... I don't like Fable...

Out of curiosity, what's the primary appeals of this game, to you guys? I suppose if you like Fable, that's the short and self-explanatory answer, but, specifically?

Estacado
To me this looks like the perfect rpg because you feel uber powerful after awhile and you can mix classes and I like the hack n slash style.

KingD19
Played for about 5 1/2 hours today, and I gotta say. This game is great.

Nice Controls.

Good graphics.

Smooth gameplay.

Good voice acting.

It's just a fun action rpg, and Fateshifting always makes me feel like a total badass.

I drop kicked the Grave Thresh(boss you fight when getting Sir Sagrell's ring in the demo), then shot it in the chest with 6-10 fate energy arrows and I was giddy like a schoolgirl when I did it, lol.

On a scale of 1-10, it gets a 9, and that's because the glitches that are probably still there. I haven't found any yet, but yeah. Great game and lots of fun.

ares834
What type of class are you creating? I'm thinking about a might/finesse character but finesse/sorcery looks tempting as well.

BloodRawEngine
I'm one to go quick for the straight-up melee builds myself with a balanced array of defense in all categories, usually with a weapon like a hammer if given the choice, which this game has. Pseudo-Tank, if you will. But I figure I may as well try my hand with at least one or two of the speedier weapons; I particularly like the look of the Faeblades.

On another note, does anyone else think that the majority of the dagger weapons in this game look remarkably similar to Kratos' chain blades as far as shape goes?

KingD19
I'm doing Finesse/Sorcery. I've made it to Arcanist so far.

You definitely have to play keep away when you're running it, but it's so much fun.

And as for the dagger design, alot of them do. One pair called Shine & Shadow look damn near identical.

BloodRawEngine
Got this just a couple hours ago. Plan on giving my thoughts later tonight when I can actually play it. Hopefully, nothing like that glitch I ran into in the demo happens. Didn't keep me from enjoying the demo though.

Nephthys
Angry Joe Review.

Damn, this looks like a fantastic game. From what I heard I'm amazed at his score.

Kazenji
I'll probably check out the game

i did'nt even know a thing about it while back just came out of nowhere.

Nemesis X
6C43RMBx9wQ

**** online passes.

Kazenji
I also hear the combat is better then Fable, but Fable's story is better.

BloodRawEngine
So I was fighting mountain trolls, and this happened when it died.

https://p.twimg.com/Al5aj3kCAAAM2Ys.jpg

Game of the year.

Estacado
Game is pretty addictive bought it yesterday played 19 hours since Im playing as a mage just got the meteor summoning power its awesome!!

Stoic
Looks like a great game, but it may be very difficult to resell as Gamestop may decide not to buy a product that is illegal to replay by anyone other than the original owner. Unless I misunderstood Angry Joe's review of the title. I want it.

Nibedicus
Played the game for a week or 2. The awesome combat system couldn't make up for the bland questing. I guess I'm a bit spoiled as I played a lot of WoW and this game just seemed like WoW with a bit arcade combat and old-school diablo loot system mixed in.

And yes, I DO know that what I wrote above sounds like a REALLY good formula for a great game. Amalur woulda been great if they tweaked the quests a bit more. Some parts of Amalur is REALLY fun, but doing the same thing over and over again just so you can get more xp to get the next upgrade/ability woulda been fun if they allowed coop play and made the game a bit more challenging.

I'd give the game mayybbee an 8/10 (and that's being generous). Close to great but was a few steps short.

Stoic
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Played the game for a week or 2. The awesome combat system couldn't make up for the bland questing. I guess I'm a bit spoiled as I played a lot of WoW and this game just seemed like WoW with a bit arcade combat and old-school diablo loot system mixed in.

And yes, I DO know that what I wrote above sounds like a REALLY good formula for a great game. Amalur woulda been great if they tweaked the quests a bit more. Some parts of Amalur is REALLY fun, but doing the same thing over and over again just so you can get more xp to get the next upgrade/ability woulda been fun if they allowed coop play and made the game a bit more challenging.

I'd give the game mayybbee an 8/10 (and that's being generous). Close to great but was a few steps short.

Are you saying that you've already beaten the game?

Nibedicus
Originally posted by Stoic
Are you saying that you've already beaten the game?

Nah. Got bored and stopped playing it halfway. sad Currently playing Syndicate coop (w/c is actually kinda fun) and about to install Mass Effect 3 on my PC. :P

Though, I understand that my rating might be a bit premature. The game just had too many bugs along with its lack of polish (especially the lackluster level design/quests) that made me stop enjoying it.

BloodRawEngine
That depends on what you call halfway through. As for bugs and ;acl of polish, that's just false. The demo, sure, but I ain't run into anything indicating lack of polish or design in the retail version.

Stoic
That depends on what you call halfway through. As for bugs and ;acl of polish, that's just false. The demo, sure, but I ain't run into anything indicating lack of polish or design in the retail version.

I played the demo, and got the feeling that this game had a little bit of everything in it. I felt influences from Fable, Elder Scrolls, and God of War. I don't own the game yet, but there was something that I could not really put my finger on that made me feel that although this is a good game, it lacked a certain something that makes it a great game. Probably just me though. I'm hoping that once I play the full version that it will remove my lack of total interest.

KingD19
It's a good game definitely, but it was probably the fact that they added so many different things into it, that it never really hit it's stride.

Nibedicus

Well, I'm played it on my PS3 from launch day. I've basically just sailed out of Rathir when I fell asleep for the umpteenth time while I played then decided, "AHHH! Screw it!" (I was at the level that had about 82 Ability points total, I think).

I had a big problem with the buggy sound (the sound timing was off, everytime a sound played, it was always half a second delayed literally KILLED my experience, I think). Also, a couple of times, I had to reload due to getting stuck in a wall or barrel after a wall, experienced a few times where the game just didn't load or it just plain froze and the controls wouldn't respond (and I had to reset the PS3 by switching it off). Def bugs from release day, but nothing that would scream "don't play". It's still a pretty solid premise for a game and I did give it an 8. It's just not for me.

As for "lack of polish": inability to customize controls (w/c are set at Xbox and not PS3 settings, quests being monotonous and most dungeons looking alike, buggy quests, no multiplayer (w/c would really make it shine IMO), crazy camera angles, lines and lines and lines of pointless conversations with NPCs (unlike Planescape or Baldur's Gate where they made you CARE what the characters were saying) that really doesn't add to the feel or atmosphere of the game, etc.

But I'm prolly just nitpicking here.

Don't get me wrong. The game is really good, the premise should have made it at least a 9+, but I think they rushed it out to make a deadline and it makes me sad that they could have made SUCH a better game. Maybe it's just not for me. I REALLY wanted to like this game, to the point where I would shake my head after falling asleep and keep on playing saying to myself "this'll get better in the later parts.... this'll get better in the later parts... this'll get ZZZzzz....!" /sad

BloodRawEngine
Those really are all just nitpicks from how I've experienced them, frankly. All those glitches sound like a faulty copy if anything. Nothing that can't be patched at least, based on how pronounced they seem to be with your experience. Unless you're exagerrating, but I'm not that presumptuous. Although you seem to be expecting things of it that aren't even touched upon in other games of the genre. Whatever lack of customization the controls have, customization exists almost in truckloads within the main core aspects of the game; that's what getting the best of the action side is all about an how it carries the game. The depth of action is all about experimentation as you build your character.

And again, I haven't experienced anything remotely like buggy sound or game-crashing glitches. In fact, I haven't even run into half the glitches that were complained about in the reviews aside from a less-than-flawless draw distance. But yeah, there's no excusing the largely insignificant dialogue, and the narrative of the story only just recently picked up for me, but with quests also suffering that, the same can be said for other games to varying points. That, and they've said the game is something of a precursor to a potential MMO or multiplayer of sorts, so at the very least, they can only go up with maximizing this new series' potential. I'll admit, that I went into the game expecting more from the action elements than the RPG elements or the lore, so I've since made the most of the combat with the things I'm given or what I achieve, so I've had a largely satisfying time. Thus, while I'm not one for numerical scores, I find the general consensus of 8-ish out of 10 to be agreeable. But acknowledging a game that much even if it's "not your type" of game is a candid judgement, so your opinion's respectable, although it does sound like you've run into more technical problems than I have, and I've been playing only a little while less since I got it about a few days to a week after launch.

Nibedicus
Do you play the PC version or the PS3 version? I'm on the PS3 version and from what I'm hearing, the sound lag problem only exists the most on the console versions.

KingD19
I can say I never got any glitches.

BloodRawEngine
I have the PS3 version too, and the closest thing to sound lag I ever really got was hearing a sound effect of a move when I leave the pause screen after pausing in the middle of an attack animation, namely just the hammer (then again I use the hammer most).

Nibedicus
Well, that sucks for me then. I guess my problem (w/c is VERY consistent) seems to be just in my version. Hmmm.

Still, as it is, even with the absence of this bugs, I still doubt that I'd score this game higher than an 8.

Stoic
Too many quests to get acclimated with this game. I'm about to break out a pad and pen to manage what to do first. I like the combat but gee.....

Stoic
I'm surprised that this game has only gotten 3 pages. I'm finding that it has a lot in it in terms of items, and quests, but I've also noticed that if I take my time, and work it one step at a time, that this game is awesome. I've gone with a Warrior build, but added a little magic, and thief skills to the mix for a more well rounded character. Is it more fun than Skyrim? You betcha. Well as far as combat goes, and the monster count (larger bestiary). I wouldn't say that it is better than Skyrim, but it does have its charm, and moments. Graphically speaking, it's not as well polished as Skyrim, but then again what RPG game is? I have yet to encounter even one glitch, so as it stands, I'm giving this game a solid 8.5.

KingD19
Nice summary. Agreement.

BloodRawEngine
In playing the game, I'm finding it hard to really consider it a game that was ever even INTEDNED to compare to Skyrim as even the same kind of RPG. Altogether, I find it more in line with what, say, Angry Joe said about it in that it's fundamentally similar to Fable on paper, but mainly if Fable had a much more open-ended, refreshing, and polished battle system and a better overworld than III.

I'll say now that alot of replay value actually came from the sheer amount of experimentation that bulding you character differently for combat managed to offer me. By the end of the game, you're gonna have more money than you'll know what to do with, so hittin' up a Fateweaver nearby one of your likely-to-be three or four houses isn't something to fear since the price to reset your points caps after about the tenth visit I believe. IE, if you don't care so much for the exclusive special attacks each tier might offer and just wanna use any and all weapons to their full abilities and movesets, then the Universalist path is THE choice for you, as the final destiny card unlocks weapons mastery for all of them. It really does make for a great change of pace if you're the type of gamer who went into this game for the action-focused gameplay and not something like story significiance or narrative. I only hope any potential future DLC does something like add in an extra difficulty setting, because by the time I reached level 40, my character was already pretty much a god on the battlefield.

Stoic
This game has a very type hold on me. No matter where I am, or what I am doing, I find myself wanting to play it. I'm just trying to figure out what is the best armor type in the game? I have a full suit of Sylvanite armor. Is this the best stuff around?

KingD19
Best armor really depends on what playstyle you're going for. I'm running a mage/rogue 50/50 split. So armor that gives me regen or extra criticals is great.

Stoic
I'm going with the Warrior Mage 70/30 split leaning more towards Warrior. I guess I prefer crackin heads big grin . My armor and weapons have a decent regen rate of 2 per second each. I basically have Sylvanite from head to toe, my Chakrams and Sword are also made of the stuff. I have one set of Chakrams that technically hit with less than another pair, the ones that seem to hit harder are the electrical ones. Could it be my imagination? The ones that say that they hit with greater power are flame based. Is electricity somehow better against foes?

KingD19
Electricity, physical, and bleeding are the 3 attributes that most enemies are vulnerable to. But fire weapons have always down crazy damage with me, except against like Flame Champion Imps and stuff.

And I've got one of the Ancient Mage Armor Sets. 30+ Mana, Mana Regen, Health Regen.

I'm basically a stealth magic tank.

Stoic
^ In all honesty do you think that the folks down at Bethesda need to pull up their socks? I'm feeling like this game sh1ts all over Fable, God of War, Dragon Age and for fun factors sake even Skyrim (and why do we play games for again?). All of which I'm feeling have strong influences in this game, and how it was made. The only thing that they seemed to leave out are superficial things like romance, and dare I say snow boarding lulz. I have found myself smiling widely after taking out multiple enemies. I didn't think any company would be able to do it for me, but this game is just wow.

Phanteros
Lol no the game does not shit over GOW, Skyrim, DA. While I hate Bioware and think they are a overrated piece of shit, their game has more life to it than KoA which feels lifeless and generic(more lifeless than skyrim). Its more shallow than GOW and tends to drag a lot than Skyrim which beats it in atmosphere. The game is just too dry and dull. It may rape fable in nearly all aspects but it needs a lot more "gun" to beat the others. I can safely say Skyrim's True competition will come in the form of Dragon's Dogma(in terms of medieval Romer) but that game gets an instant F due to it being made by Crapcom.

Stoic
^ In all honesty, I don't feel like this game lacks atmosphere, what it could use though is technology, and the idea of choosing which path you want to take, be it a Techie, Magician, Thief, pure Warrior, or something that mixes all of the above. The larger towns could have been cut in half in terms of size, and population. They could have made an eternal gladiator arena that allows you to truly challenge yourself. Aside from that, I think that they made a real hit with this one.

Phanteros
The towns were fine, they just felt generic looking and un-unique. The game needs more variation and unpredictablity.

Stoic
Oh yeah, and about that Dragon's Dogma game, I think I'll wait and see the reviews, because it's looking like it may have added a few slices of extra cheese.

BloodRawEngine
Originally posted by Phanteros
Lol no the game does not shit over GOW, Skyrim, DA. While I hate Bioware and think they are a overrated piece of shit, their game has more life to it than KoA which feels lifeless and generic(more lifeless than skyrim). Its more shallow than GOW and tends to drag a lot than Skyrim which beats it in atmosphere. The game is just too dry and dull. It may rape fable in nearly all aspects but it needs a lot more "gun" to beat the others. I can safely say Skyrim's True competition will come in the form of Dragon's Dogma(in terms of medieval Romer) but that game gets an instant F due to it being made by Crapcom.

DA sucked immediately after the first one. Aside from that, playing the game makesit very obvious that, like I said, it wasn't even trying to be the same kind of RPG as Skyrim spec-for-spec. To call any aspect in regards to this game's action elements shallow is blatantly wrong though in the same way it is to call the same of GoW. I wouldn't even call the narrative dull or dry, just underplayed, considering the premise. I myself very much preferred trekking through the Plains of Erathell than half of Skyrim's overworld in terms of "atmosphere", which helps KoA win over it in terms of variety and especially artistic direction even if it's not the highest end on a technical level. I don't think I'd call it my favorite RPG this generation over Dark Souls or something, but it definitely beats any RPG in the areas it was aiming to.

jinXed by JaNx
I've been having a blast with this game. It's easily one of the most engaging and user friendly RPG's that i've played on consoles. This game is what Fable 2 should have been. At first glance the combat seems relatively shallow but if you invest some time you will quickly realize how addictive and diverse it can be. The interface of the character and customization menus are simple and easy to navigate. With all the content in the game there is well over a hundred hours of gameplay, however, even though the game is solid and engaging i doubt few people will find reason enough to play longer than 50-60 hours. One of my main complaints with this game is the lack of challenge. One may find it relatively challenging while first getting familiar with the game. You will quickly learn, though, that finding a challenge in the game is the challenge. Sure, you'll die occasionally but it's usually because you get lazy and overconfident.

My other complaint is with the story. It's apparent that they spent a good deal of time and care in birthing this world and it's inhabitants but the story seems to have taken a back seat to what could have been a memorable story....,or maybe i just don't pay enough attention ;-) Either way, this is definitely a game you need to try if you're an rpg fan. It's a beautiful and bloody adventure

BackFire
Got this game a couple weeks ago.

The combat is a lot of fun. It was a clever idea to make an RPG with God of War type combat, though after a while it begins to feel repetitive because it doesn't progress as much as some other RPG's do in regards to new abilities and the like.

Also, this game really feels like a single player MMORPG. It follows almost exactly the same track and mold in how one goes about finishing quests. You tend to start to clear out zones as you would in an MMO.

Overall it's a pretty solid and fun game, but the world itself isn't nearly as immersive or engaging as something like Skyrim. It feels much more 'videogamey', if that makes sense. But it's fun and worth a pick up.

ares834
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/24/report-38-studios-lays-off-entire-staff

Dang... KoA was a fun game. Sucks to see the studio go down the drains.

Phanteros
CQ6kOvO1SUE. Only this time EA wasn't the the one who killed them this time.

BackFire
That's a shame, solid game. Studio deserved better. Was looking forward to a sequel. World had a lot of potential.

Peach
Originally posted by ares834
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/24/report-38-studios-lays-off-entire-staff

Dang... KoA was a fun game. Sucks to see the studio go down the drains.

Yeah, I saw that earlier. Sucks, a lot.

At the same time, I was reading the #38jobs hashtag on twitter earlier - it's kind of awesome how the rest of the industry is trying to help the guys who got laid off from 38 find new jobs.

NemeBro
Late arrival I know.

But I think the main problem with the game is that it is honestly too easy. It's so laughably simple to make your character able to steamroll through everything, and the game feels repetitive as a result.

Overall it is a good, solid game. As good as Skyrim, Dark Souls, or Dragon's Dogma? Nah.

socool8520
I like it. The ability to switch weapons/magic with a simple button push made combat pretty fun and immersive. You didn't have to stop combat to switch to a bow like in Skyrim, for instance. It is pretty easy once you have found the right armor, but that is only a minor complaint.

Nephthys
This game is now the property of Rhode Island.

....... huh

BackFire
Yes. From what I understand they're trying to sell the property in order to make back some of the money owed to them by the now closed studio.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Phanteros
sdsGZbZWJQE Honestly this is where the fable series should of went. Fable 3 was awful.

Such a bland game.

Anyway, this is being revived, according to THQ Nordic.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/kingdoms-of-amalur-to-return-thanks-to-thq-nordic
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-10-a-thq-nordic-kingdoms-of-amalur-remaster-would-require-the-go-ahead-from-ea
https://www.thqnordic.com/node/301

THQ Nordic wants to remaster the game but they need a go-ahead from EA.

-Pr-
I wonder what we'll actually get from a remaster, though. I am a massive fan of the combat in that game, but I don't know what they'd be likely to improve other than some HD stuff.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by -Pr-
I wonder what we'll actually get from a remaster, though. I am a massive fan of the combat in that game, but I don't know what they'd be likely to improve other than some HD stuff. Well, yeah, the visuals.

I mean look at the jump for the other games.

Kazenji
Got this game in my Steam library and still haven't touched it.

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by -Pr-
I wonder what we'll actually get from a remaster, though. I am a massive fan of the combat in that game, but I don't know what they'd be likely to improve other than some HD stuff.

A remaster with all the DLC would be well worth it, Imo.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
Got this game in my Steam library and still haven't touched it. Thats 2 excellent RPG's in your steam library that you haven't touched.

Instead you're playing Borderlands all the damn time, lol.

Kazenji
Hey...i like Borderlands.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
Hey...i like Borderlands. Fair enough. Borderlands is kewl.

Jmanghan
Playing the remaster, pretty good so far but I'm so used to power-leveling in combat games like DD so I can unlock the skills. Unlocking them slowly like this is getting on my nerves and ruining the pacing for me. Or maybe there's something I haven't been told and I'm just leveling wrong? I was expecting to be able to customize skills freely and put points into them.

Oh well.

Is there any bonus to going full "Fateless One" for the whole game, or is it just there to be there? I already went the "Might" route but am now deciding to go the "Seeker" class route.

I adore the art style and the writing is old-timey which is fitting, but the writing is also not very good at the same time. It reminds me of a lot of those historical texts from Skyrim that you never read because they were really boring but were required for world-building.

Combat is fun (better then Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fable, etc) but not AMAZING like I was expecting, not on the level of Souls or Dogma (which I didn't expect but expected it to be close at least.)

Game feels a bit TOO meaty as well, they like overstuffed it for the sake of overstuffing it.

Despite these problems I'm really enjoying it so far, would recommend due to the unique art style and gameplay alone.

Jmanghan
qlQE2OKH5j0

I'm sorry? I had no idea this was even a thing wtf.

Tzeentch
Yeah I heard it sucked.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Yeah I heard it sucked. Damn, was looking forward to it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.