DC Canceling several titles to make way for Flashpoint...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Galan007
Didn't see a topic on this yet...

It seems that as of May, DC is canceling several ongoing titles. Among that list so far are: Azrael, Batman Streets Of Gotham, Batman Confidential, The Outsiders, JSA All-Stars, REBELS, Doom Patrol and Freedom Fighters. It has also been speculated that that these titles are being canceled, not so much for low sales, but to free up some of the creators on those books, so they can work on several Flashpoint-related series/mini series.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/14/dc-cancels-books-to-make-way-for-flashpoint/

Most of those books, (particularly REBELS) are very enjoyable reads, imo -- and while I expected delays in their release, it seems like a poor choice for DC to cancel them entirely, just to make way for a few-month-long event. ermm

JakeTheBank
I think DC had a bit too many Bat related titles to begin with, but yeah, cancelling all those for Flashpoint is ridiculous. Especially when we hear the same old "everything will change" shtick. I'll catch Flashpoint's main story and the random tie-ins such as the Abin Sur, Hal Jordan, and S.H.A.Z.A.M! ones, but that's about it.

Galan007
^ Yeah, some of the cancellations don't bother me much. But I just don't understand the mindset behind them canceling good reads like: REBELS, JSA All-Stars, Doom Patrol, The Outsiders... Hell, even Azrael had gotten pretty good.

Delay the books a few months if you need the extra staff that badly. Don't discontinue numerous series' just for the lulz.

Stupid DC. srsly

Prep-Man
I'm glad with most of them. Sucks for REBELS and Freedom Fighters. sad

srankmissingnin
Even if it wasn't for Flash Point, they still likely would have been canceled. None of those series had good sales figures.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I enjoyed R.E.B.E.L.S. F*ck Geoff Johns.

Galan007
^ Yeah, it has been one of my all-time favorites as well. Issue #28 will be the last. sad

Rage.Of.Olympus
Shame. Vril Drox and Lobo are awesome.

Why do the masses have such bad taste? I know it's all subjective but common.

Crap like Bendis' speech impaired Avengers and John's Rainbow Warrior's sell while good books are canceled. M:13, Thor: Mighty Avenger and so on.

-Pr-
TBH, Outsiders went downhill as soon as Didio came on board. REBELS should have never been cancelled, imo.

Galan007
^ JSA All-Stars has also been a fun read, imo. It certainly wouldn't have been in the running for an Eisner award any time soon, but it was still pretty enjoyable for what it was.

I would have liked it to stay around as well.

BruceSkywalker
Azrael is not a surprise.. Streets of Gotham is..

i am sure once flashpoint is over than some of these titles will either resume or DC will bring them back in some form or another

basilisk
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Shame. Vril Drox and Lobo are awesome.

Why do the masses have such bad taste? I know it's all subjective but common.

Crap like Bendis' speech impaired Avengers and John's Rainbow Warrior's sell while good books are canceled. M:13, Thor: Mighty Avenger and so on. Speech impaired - so true!

Originally posted by Galan007
^ JSA All-Stars has also been a fun read, imo. It certainly wouldn't have been in the running for an Eisner award any time soon, but it was still pretty enjoyable for what it was. It could be OK for a quick read but it always seemed like it wasn't getting any real attention, and the writers didn't really know what to do with the extra title. It was never going to last like that. I'd rather see them focus on JSA and improving that.

REBELS should stay though, no question.

Galan007
Originally posted by basilisk
It could be OK for a quick read but it always seemed like it wasn't getting any real attention, and the writers didn't really know what to do with the extra title. It was never going to last like that. I agree - but like I said: it was good for what it was.

...More enjoyable than some of the ongoing titles DC opted not to cancel, imo.

-Pr-
^ JSA All-Stars has also been a fun read, imo. It certainly wouldn't have been in the running for an Eisner award any time soon, but it was still pretty enjoyable for what it was.

I would have liked it to stay around as well.

All Stars was all right, but the art at times put me off...

Digi
They had no idea what to do with All-Stars. Magog was the only driving character in terms of why they split, and it was clearly destined for an early grave from the start. Just as well, imo. I love JSA in general, but the multi-book trend can kill great groups or series (see also: anything GL-related these days).

Less spotlight time for the lesser-knowns, of course, but occasionally they're just better in supporting roles anyway, with brief spotlights on them being good stories instead of having too many B-listers at the forefront constantly. We love the Dibny's for Identity Crisis, for example, not because they were an awesome tandem for decades.

Galan007
Originally posted by -Pr-
All Stars was all right, but the art at times put me off... Most definitely.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Digi
They had no idea what to do with All-Stars. Magog was the only driving character in terms of why they split, and it was clearly destined for an early grave from the start. Just as well, imo. I love JSA in general, but the multi-book trend can kill great groups or series (see also: anything GL-related these days).

Less spotlight time for the lesser-knowns, of course, but occasionally they're just better in supporting roles anyway, with brief spotlights on them being good stories instead of having too many B-listers at the forefront constantly. We love the Dibny's for Identity Crisis, for example, not because they were an awesome tandem for decades.

I think GL is fine atm, personally. Not at it's stellar heights, but still one of the better DC books.

basilisk
Originally posted by -Pr-
All Stars was all right, but the art at times put me off... Oh yeah, forget to mention that before. The art was mostly terrible. I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone.

Juntai
They're not entirely cancelled due to Flashpoint, I assure, but rather because more ongoings will spin out of Flashpoint.

Galan007
Even though R.E.B.E.L.S. has officially ended *insert sadface*, it looks like L.E.G.I.O.N. will eventually pick up where it left off... So that's definitely a plus for any fan(s) of this series/genre.

http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/7848/64988378.th.jpg

Q99
Even though R.E.B.E.L.S. has officially ended *insert sadface*, it looks like L.E.G.I.O.N. will eventually pick up where it left off... So that's definitely a plus for any fan(s) of this series/genre.

That's good smile

The thing about All-Stars, REBELS, and to a lesser extent some of the others, sure they're great books, but no-one's buying them. Their sales are very marginal. So I don't hold it against DC for pulling the plug.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.