KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » DC Canceling several titles to make way for Flashpoint...

DC Canceling several titles to make way for Flashpoint...
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

DC Canceling several titles to make way for Flashpoint...

Didn't see a topic on this yet...

It seems that as of May, DC is canceling several ongoing titles. Among that list so far are: Azrael, Batman Streets Of Gotham, Batman Confidential, The Outsiders, JSA All-Stars, REBELS, Doom Patrol and Freedom Fighters. It has also been speculated that that these titles are being canceled, not so much for low sales, but to free up some of the creators on those books, so they can work on several Flashpoint-related series/mini series.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02...for-flashpoint/

Most of those books, (particularly REBELS) are very enjoyable reads, imo -- and while I expected delays in their release, it seems like a poor choice for DC to cancel them entirely, just to make way for a few-month-long event.

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 21st, 2011 at 04:50 PM

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 04:45 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I think DC had a bit too many Bat related titles to begin with, but yeah, cancelling all those for Flashpoint is ridiculous. Especially when we hear the same old "everything will change" shtick. I'll catch Flashpoint's main story and the random tie-ins such as the Abin Sur, Hal Jordan, and S.H.A.Z.A.M! ones, but that's about it.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 05:11 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Yeah, some of the cancellations don't bother me much. But I just don't understand the mindset behind them canceling good reads like: REBELS, JSA All-Stars, Doom Patrol, The Outsiders... Hell, even Azrael had gotten pretty good.

Delay the books a few months if you need the extra staff that badly. Don't discontinue numerous series' just for the lulz.

Stupid DC.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 05:41 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

I'm glad with most of them. Sucks for REBELS and Freedom Fighters. sad

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 08:42 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Even if it wasn't for Flash Point, they still likely would have been canceled. None of those series had good sales figures.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 11:19 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rage.Of.Olympus

I enjoyed R.E.B.E.L.S. F*ck Geoff Johns.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2011 11:56 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ Yeah, it has been one of my all-time favorites as well. Issue #28 will be the last. sad

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2011 12:06 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus

Shame. Vril Drox and Lobo are awesome.

Why do the masses have such bad taste? I know it's all subjective but common.

Crap like Bendis' speech impaired Avengers and John's Rainbow Warrior's sell while good books are canceled. M:13, Thor: Mighty Avenger and so on.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2011 12:36 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

TBH, Outsiders went downhill as soon as Didio came on board. REBELS should have never been cancelled, imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2011 12:51 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

^ JSA All-Stars has also been a fun read, imo. It certainly wouldn't have been in the running for an Eisner award any time soon, but it was still pretty enjoyable for what it was.

I would have liked it to stay around as well.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2011 03:03 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Azrael is not a surprise.. Streets of Gotham is..

i am sure once flashpoint is over than some of these titles will either resume or DC will bring them back in some form or another

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2011 06:46 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basilisk

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Shame. Vril Drox and Lobo are awesome.

Why do the masses have such bad taste? I know it's all subjective but common.

Crap like Bendis' speech impaired Avengers and John's Rainbow Warrior's sell while good books are canceled. M:13, Thor: Mighty Avenger and so on.
Speech impaired - so true!

Originally posted by Galan007
^ JSA All-Stars has also been a fun read, imo. It certainly wouldn't have been in the running for an Eisner award any time soon, but it was still pretty enjoyable for what it was.
It could be OK for a quick read but it always seemed like it wasn't getting any real attention, and the writers didn't really know what to do with the extra title. It was never going to last like that. I'd rather see them focus on JSA and improving that.

REBELS should stay though, no question.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2011 12:34 PM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by basilisk
It could be OK for a quick read but it always seemed like it wasn't getting any real attention, and the writers didn't really know what to do with the extra title. It was never going to last like that.
I agree - but like I said: it was good for what it was.

...More enjoyable than some of the ongoing titles DC opted not to cancel, imo.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2011 08:38 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Galan007

I would have liked it to stay around as well.

All Stars was all right, but the art at times put me off...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 04:37 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

They had no idea what to do with All-Stars. Magog was the only driving character in terms of why they split, and it was clearly destined for an early grave from the start. Just as well, imo. I love JSA in general, but the multi-book trend can kill great groups or series (see also: anything GL-related these days).

Less spotlight time for the lesser-knowns, of course, but occasionally they're just better in supporting roles anyway, with brief spotlights on them being good stories instead of having too many B-listers at the forefront constantly. We love the Dibny's for Identity Crisis, for example, not because they were an awesome tandem for decades.

Last edited by Digi on Apr 24th, 2011 at 06:03 AM

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 06:01 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by -Pr-
Most definitely.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 06:02 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Digi
They had no idea what to do with All-Stars. Magog was the only driving character in terms of why they split, and it was clearly destined for an early grave from the start. Just as well, imo. I love JSA in general, but the multi-book trend can kill great groups or series (see also: anything GL-related these days).

Less spotlight time for the lesser-knowns, of course, but occasionally they're just better in supporting roles anyway, with brief spotlights on them being good stories instead of having too many B-listers at the forefront constantly. We love the Dibny's for Identity Crisis, for example, not because they were an awesome tandem for decades.

I think GL is fine atm, personally. Not at it's stellar heights, but still one of the better DC books.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 24th, 2011 08:16 PM
basilisk

Originally posted by -Pr-
Oh yeah, forget to mention that before. The art was mostly terrible. I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone.

Old Post Apr 25th, 2011 02:56 PM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

They're not entirely cancelled due to Flashpoint, I assure, but rather because more ongoings will spin out of Flashpoint.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Apr 26th, 2011 06:34 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Even though R.E.B.E.L.S. has officially ended *insert sadface*, it looks like L.E.G.I.O.N. will eventually pick up where it left off... So that's definitely a plus for any fan(s) of this series/genre.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 13th, 2011 12:07 AM