Great writers, bad runs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

srankmissingnin
What are some runs where the top industry writers turned out some mediocre story arcs? Instance where reliably amazing writers just didn't hit the mark they normally have no trouble with? I'll start with two:

Brubaker on Uncanny X-Men. Ed fell into the same trap a lot of great writers do will writing the X-Men. The cast of characters is so large that a lot of writers have trouble focusing in and the stories end up wandering about aimlessly.

Andy Diggle on Shadow Land. It's hard to believe that mess was written by the same guy who wrote Losers and a bunch of Hellblazer.

-Pr-
I liked Brubaker on X-Men, personally, though I suppose I can understand why you feel that way.

Fraction on X-Men. Critically acclaimed writer. F*cks it all up BIG TIME.

Robinson on Superman, Cry for Justice, JLA etc. Big name, bad execution.

JMS on Superman. Yeah, nuff said.

Loeb on Ultimates and Hulk. Yeah, abysmal, given the man's earlier works.

Scythe
Originally posted by -Pr-

Like this.

Bouboumaster

Quoted for truth.

For me, he absolutly grounded the Ultimates. I never will buy an issue, ever, because of what he did with the series.

As for Hulk, man, seriously... Good thing Pak came around...

This, from the guy who wrote one of the best book I ever read (Batman: The Long Halloween).

-Pr-
Oh, now i remember. Pak on WWH.

kgkg
I'm trying to think of something bad from Frank Miller.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by kgkg
I'm trying to think of something bad from Frank Miller.

Allstar Batman.

inimalist
Luna Brothers, The Sword

I was so amped for their follow-up to Girls and it totally sucked, seemed way more cliche and non-creative compared to their previous work

-Pr-
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Allstar Batman.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SoBadItsGood?from=Main.ptitlethsq3mffp09i

Bouboumaster
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SoBadItsGood?from=Main.ptitlethsq3mffp09i

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/GoddamnBatman.jpg

roughrider
Grant Morrison on Batman. One shot projects like Arkham Asylum are one thing; on a monthly basis I want Batman to be a gritty, streetwise read (the kind done by Miller, Moench, Rucka, Loeb, Brubaker, Azzarello in the past), not Morrison's brand of comic lunacy, which is better suited to a fantastical setting.

AlmightyKfish
Originally posted by roughrider
Grant Morrison on Batman. One shot projects like Arkham Asylum are one thing; on a monthly basis I want Batman to be a gritty, streetwise read (the kind done by Miller, Moench, Rucka, Loeb, Brubaker, Azzarello in the past), not Morrison's brand of comic lunacy, which is better suited to a fantastical setting.

Eh, I loved Morrison's run and all that's followed from it...

Whereas I thought Hush from Loeb was kinda overhyped. I mean, it had some good moments, but the way it basically shoehorned in this big bad guy who never felt like much of a threat yet somehow was able to manipulate every single one of Batman's villains into his plan just seemed a bit weak on a storytelling basis.

Fraction on X-men as Pr mentioned

Diggle on Hellblazer (it wasn't awful, but he's written much better and his big "reveal" at the end of his run will be (rightfully so) ignored by every other writer after him)

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by roughrider

I agree. Someone at DC needs to learn to say no to Morrison because his run on Batman was trash. Who in there right mind thought it made sense to acknowledge the campy adventures of pre-crisis Batman as having been the same Batman we know today. Ridiculous.

Bentley
Personally I'm not against having a somewhat surreal Batman around, characters need to be told different from time to time.

Prep-Man
I love Morrison's Batman. Some arcs are better than others, but overall it's pretty damn good.

Bendis on pretty much anything Marvel heroes.

James Robinson on JLA.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.