Annoying stereotypes in comicbooks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SamZED
Every time a character has a flashback or is sent into the past writers tend to avoid all the embarrassing moments of country's history. Most of the time they act like racism, slavery, genocide of native americans etc etc never happened because its a ticklish subject noone wants to read about. There are few exceptions ofcourse but they are rare and usually intended to show that this particular hero was never racist even when racism was a common thing. I know comicbooks are mostly written by americans and for americans so that's understandable. But every time they write about other countries those "embarassing moments" are the only things they rememember and rub them in our faces. If its Russia we always get a communist dressed into a red jumpsuit trying to take over the world, if its Germany we get a Hitler wannabe who tries to spread facism, if its France we get "Batroc zee Leeper" etc etc I wanna know if someone else finds it annoying or maybe thinks that im just looking too much into it.

Sr J-Bieb
They don't always completely forget racism...
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=221902

Bentley
Batroc is awesome!

We french all look and act like him eek!

Konton
I don't like how Hulkling refers to Wiccan as his "stupid boyfriend" in Children's Crusade. Just... use his name. We get it. Stop letting your sexuality be your only memorable character trait.

SamZED
lol True. "Look! We're gay teenagers and we're ok with it! So you dont have to hide it if you're too!" Only thing he talks about.

StiltmanFTW
You're right Sam, they really crossed the line with Batroc vin

Seriously though, I agree. Remember the Morlun arc?

Morlun (after offing the guy): "Who has ever heard of a german superhero?!"

Scoobless
Originally posted by Konton
I don't like how Hulkling refers to Wiccan as his "stupid boyfriend" in Children's Crusade. Just... use his name. We get it. Stop letting your sexuality be your only memorable character trait.

That's natural though. You never hear people complain when characters refer to their heterosexual partnerships - my gf/bf, my husband, my wife, my fiance.

I'm not saying you're a homophobe, just that holding different standards for gay/straight characters (and people) is a form of prejudice.

basilisk
I don't like how Hulkling refers to Wiccan as his "stupid boyfriend" in Children's Crusade. Just... use his name. We get it. Stop letting your sexuality be your only memorable character trait. Yeah, that one is really grating, because he does it not once but several times. It's like the writer is just trying waaay too hard there but it kind of backfires and just accentuates them as being different.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Scoobless
That's natural though. You never hear people complain when characters refer to their heterosexual partnerships - my gf/bf, my husband, my wife, my fiance.

I'm not saying you're a homophobe, just that holding different standards for gay/straight characters (and people) is a form of prejudice.
I think you completely miss the point Konton was making.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I think you completely miss the point Konton was making.

Just seemed like he didn't like people being openly gay.

What other point was there?

Martian_mind
Just seemed like he didn't like people being openly gay.

What other point was there?

You're trolling right?

Scoobless
Nope, just asking questions.

StyleTime
Konton, like many of us, dislikes sexual orientation used as a substitute for character depth. It sells the character short just to be the "gay guy" rather than have an actual personality.

I doubt anyone in the thread has a problem with openly gay characters though.

JakeTheBank

thumb up

I got that impression several times. I think writers sometimes try too hard to remind readers that ________ is gay/bi/lesbian and make it a defining quality about them to the point that's all their known for.

I mean, I have a couple of friends who are gay, but I don't define who they are as being gay.

Simbon
The portrayal of Hulking is accurate, IMO -- Homosexuality is such an all-consuming sin that it leaves little room for other aspects of the personality; that's why French communists invented it, so they could weaken America by having minorities smuggle it in like a virus. All of this, according to my dog, was engineered by the evil genius Michel Foucault:
http://www.opposableplanets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/foucault-277x300.jpg

Simbon
One form of discrimination in comic books that doesn't seem to come up is the fact that, despite having a much, much larger population than the west, south and east asia seem relatively incapable of producing superheroes. You have a very small number of Chinese and Japanese supers, but on a per capita basis China has less than most small American towns. And what about India? You'd think Marvel and DC would have some cool Indian superheroes, like Nagraj...

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Simbon
One form of discrimination in comic books that doesn't seem to come up is the fact that, despite having a much, much larger population than the west, south and east asia seem relatively incapable of producing superheroes. You have a very small number of Chinese and Japanese supers, but on a per capita basis China has less than most small American towns. And what about India? You'd think Marvel and DC would have some cool Indian superheroes, like Nagraj...

I think the view is that they exist, we just aren't seeing stories about their adventures. In Ellis' Astonishing run, the X-Men discovered a massive hidden base of Chinese mutants. It was a much larger and impressive institute then the X Mansion or even Utopia.

Simbon
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I think the view is that they exist, we just aren't seeing stories about their adventures. In Ellis' Astonishing run, the X-Men discovered a massive hidden base of Chinese mutants. It was a much larger and impressive institute then the X Mansion or even Utopia.

Well I wish they'd explore some of those adventures; Marvel needs new characters (I mean real characters, not disposable teenage mutants), items/technologies, and locations very badly.

Omega Vision
There's also DC's The Great Ten. Though I think they could have been much cooler than they were.

Simbon
I agree on The Great Ten -- could have been much better, especially considering the material there is to draw on.

It's a matter of numbers, though. There should be four times as many Chinese heroes as American heroes.

Scoobless
I agree on The Great Ten -- could have been much better, especially considering the material there is to draw on.

It's a matter of numbers, though. There should be four times as many Chinese heroes as American heroes.

Yeah, but comics are bought by people who relate to the characters and all the market research tells the big companies that people relate more to characters with similar backgrounds to them and who look like them ... though I'm not sure that most male american comic readers have zero body fat physiques and cut from marble jaw lines.

Bentley
The portrayal of Hulking is accurate, IMO -- Homosexuality is such an all-consuming sin that it leaves little room for other aspects of the personality; that's why French communists invented it, so they could weaken America by having minorities smuggle it in like a virus. All of this, according to my dog, was engineered by the evil genius Michel Foucault:
http://www.opposableplanets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/foucault-277x300.jpg

The french invented pedastry, get your damn facts straight uhuh

basilisk

Omega Vision
Originally posted by basilisk
They invented democracy
Whaa?

Not only is that not true, but France is on its Fifth Republic right now because they don't understand it. stick out tongue

psycho gundam
One form of discrimination in comic books that doesn't seem to come up is the fact that, despite having a much, much larger population than the west, south and east asia seem relatively incapable of producing superheroes. You have a very small number of Chinese and Japanese supers, but on a per capita basis China has less than most small American towns. And what about India? You'd think Marvel and DC would have some cool Indian superheroes, like Nagraj... they barely have and black/asian/latin/etc characters from america as it is (and the ones they had were pretty stereotypically ultra ethnic versions (giant-sized x-men)), expanding to other continents is a tough call for average white guys from the US to write. they write what they know, i wouldn't expect guys back in the 70's grasping the intricacies of the culture of some indian teens...

it might be better that it never happened.

SamZED
Originally posted by Bentley
The french invented pedastry, get your damn facts straight uhuh Also croissants. Dont forget croissants.

Omega Vision
French have taken credit for so many things they didn't make.

French fries for instance. uhuh

StyleTime
French kissing too.

Grecian poet
Yeah, but comics are bought by people who relate to the characters and all the market research tells the big companies that people relate more to characters with similar backgrounds to them and who look like them ... though I'm not sure that most male american comic readers have zero body fat physiques and cut from marble jaw lines.

As an Asgardian Thunder God, it's the only reason I read Thor... Because I identify with him so well.

King Kandy
This, I always thought this was incredibly stupid. I'd like to see a team of international heroes, but the problem is that every time this has been attempted, the characters are just stereotypes representing their country.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Grecian poet
As an Asgardian Thunder God, it's the only reason I read Thor... Because I identify with him so well.

Exactly.

smile

rock

Charlotte DeBel
I understand what Sam tries to say... In fact. when Darkstar and Winter Guard were written I went so far as personally contacted author on CBR and gave him links to forums of Russian comic geeks - to minimize collateral damage or at least MAKE HIM DO SOME DAMN RESEARCH about what a patronymic is, for example (do they f*ck Icelandic patronymics in the same way, I'd like to know).

However, for example, I'm not Morrisson hater for him putting the only female superhero from Minsk to date on the bus (and by the way, if Laynia is a misspelling for Lana done by some retarded Silver Age writer, my real name is the same as the one of her - Lana (short of Svetlana) is a popular Belarusian girl's name, Laynia is the same kind of imagined name as Lilandra - except that it's given not to alien, but to the Earthling girl from real country).

The only great name f*ck up with Chinese/Coreans I'm aware of is that surname goes first in their traditional naming hence Americans often confuse first and last name (and we get something like Swift's comrades in arms in the Authority always calling her by surname).

Charlotte DeBel
Stereotypes never die. But at least the research on small things like real world names and rules of naming makes the character more plausible.

It's far more realistic to imagine that some small sect of Buddhists believe in angels than swallow up the constant mixing of first name and last name.

Nowadays in the age of wiki it's not that hard to make such idiotic errors that, honestly, offend me more than "Dirty Commies" for Russia, "Adventuring aristocrats" for Britain (in alternate universe USSR could have the same "communism in name only" as real world China and it's known practice for many public figures of Britain to get knighted - Sir Alex Fergusson, I'm looking at you) etc.

Bentley
Originally posted by Omega Vision
French have taken credit for so many things they didn't make.

French fries for instance. uhuh

Napoleon stole those so we could use them uhuh

Simbon
Originally posted by Bentley
Napoleon stole those so we could use them uhuh

laughing out loud

Yes, it is a little known fact that the French fry was originally Egyptian -- that's also why they sometimes appear in Falafels.

Speaking of Napoleon, that reminds me of the bizarre tradition of forgetting all of France's military conquests in order to make y'all out to be born for surrender.

Simbon

Charlotte DeBel
and if there was enough prep time, Mother of Champions could be hugely useful in a tournament where dupes aren't allowed
=========
Independent summons are not allowed as well in those kinds, so no Camino clones rush.

Simbon
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
and if there was enough prep time, Mother of Champions could be hugely useful in a tournament where dupes aren't allowed
=========
Independent summons are not allowed as well in those kinds, so no Camino clones rush.

Really? I imagine there must be some tournaments where summoning/constructs are allowed but dupes aren't -- if I were running a tournament that is probably what I would do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.