KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Annoying stereotypes in comicbooks

Annoying stereotypes in comicbooks
Started by: SamZED

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SamZED

Annoying stereotypes in comicbooks

Every time a character has a flashback or is sent into the past writers tend to avoid all the embarrassing moments of country's history. Most of the time they act like racism, slavery, genocide of native americans etc etc never happened because its a ticklish subject noone wants to read about. There are few exceptions ofcourse but they are rare and usually intended to show that this particular hero was never racist even when racism was a common thing. I know comicbooks are mostly written by americans and for americans so that's understandable. But every time they write about other countries those "embarassing moments" are the only things they rememember and rub them in our faces. If its Russia we always get a communist dressed into a red jumpsuit trying to take over the world, if its Germany we get a Hitler wannabe who tries to spread facism, if its France we get "Batroc zee Leeper" etc etc I wanna know if someone else finds it annoying or maybe thinks that im just looking too much into it.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Last edited by SamZED on Jun 25th, 2011 at 09:00 AM

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 08:56 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

They don't always completely forget racism...
http://forums.comicbookresources.co...ad.php?t=221902

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 09:02 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Batroc is awesome!

We french all look and act like him eek!

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 12:26 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Konton
Homo Magi

I don't like how Hulkling refers to Wiccan as his "stupid boyfriend" in Children's Crusade. Just... use his name. We get it. Stop letting your sexuality be your only memorable character trait.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 12:53 PM
Konton is currently offline Click here to Send Konton a Private Message Find more posts by Konton Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

lol True. "Look! We're gay teenagers and we're ok with it! So you dont have to hide it if you're too!" Only thing he talks about.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 01:18 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

You're right Sam, they really crossed the line with Batroc

Seriously though, I agree. Remember the Morlun arc?

Morlun (after offing the guy): "Who has ever heard of a german superhero?!"

Old Post Jun 25th, 2011 02:17 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Konton
I don't like how Hulkling refers to Wiccan as his "stupid boyfriend" in Children's Crusade. Just... use his name. We get it. Stop letting your sexuality be your only memorable character trait.

That's natural though. You never hear people complain when characters refer to their heterosexual partnerships - my gf/bf, my husband, my wife, my fiance.

I'm not saying you're a homophobe, just that holding different standards for gay/straight characters (and people) is a form of prejudice.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jun 27th, 2011 05:10 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basilisk

Yeah, that one is really grating, because he does it not once but several times. It's like the writer is just trying waaay too hard there but it kind of backfires and just accentuates them as being different.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2011 01:32 PM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by Scoobless
That's natural though. You never hear people complain when characters refer to their heterosexual partnerships - my gf/bf, my husband, my wife, my fiance.

I'm not saying you're a homophobe, just that holding different standards for gay/straight characters (and people) is a form of prejudice.

I think you completely miss the point Konton was making.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 06:45 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Originally posted by Omega Vision
I think you completely miss the point Konton was making.

Just seemed like he didn't like people being openly gay.

What other point was there?

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 07:44 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Originally posted by Scoobless
Just seemed like he didn't like people being openly gay.

What other point was there?

You're trolling right?

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 09:52 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Nope, just asking questions.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 11:15 AM
StyleTime

Konton, like many of us, dislikes sexual orientation used as a substitute for character depth. It sells the character short just to be the "gay guy" rather than have an actual personality.

I doubt anyone in the thread has a problem with openly gay characters though.

Last edited by StyleTime on Jun 28th, 2011 at 05:24 PM

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 05:17 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

thumb up

I got that impression several times. I think writers sometimes try too hard to remind readers that ________ is gay/bi/lesbian and make it a defining quality about them to the point that's all their known for.

I mean, I have a couple of friends who are gay, but I don't define who they are as being gay.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 05:24 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simbon

The portrayal of Hulking is accurate, IMO -- Homosexuality is such an all-consuming sin that it leaves little room for other aspects of the personality; that's why French communists invented it, so they could weaken America by having minorities smuggle it in like a virus. All of this, according to my dog, was engineered by the evil genius Michel Foucault:
(please log in to view the image)

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 06:38 PM
Simbon is currently offline Click here to Send Simbon a Private Message Find more posts by Simbon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simbon

One form of discrimination in comic books that doesn't seem to come up is the fact that, despite having a much, much larger population than the west, south and east asia seem relatively incapable of producing superheroes. You have a very small number of Chinese and Japanese supers, but on a per capita basis China has less than most small American towns. And what about India? You'd think Marvel and DC would have some cool Indian superheroes, like Nagraj...

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 06:47 PM
Simbon is currently offline Click here to Send Simbon a Private Message Find more posts by Simbon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by Simbon
One form of discrimination in comic books that doesn't seem to come up is the fact that, despite having a much, much larger population than the west, south and east asia seem relatively incapable of producing superheroes. You have a very small number of Chinese and Japanese supers, but on a per capita basis China has less than most small American towns. And what about India? You'd think Marvel and DC would have some cool Indian superheroes, like Nagraj...

I think the view is that they exist, we just aren't seeing stories about their adventures. In Ellis' Astonishing run, the X-Men discovered a massive hidden base of Chinese mutants. It was a much larger and impressive institute then the X Mansion or even Utopia.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 07:04 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simbon

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I think the view is that they exist, we just aren't seeing stories about their adventures. In Ellis' Astonishing run, the X-Men discovered a massive hidden base of Chinese mutants. It was a much larger and impressive institute then the X Mansion or even Utopia.

Well I wish they'd explore some of those adventures; Marvel needs new characters (I mean real characters, not disposable teenage mutants), items/technologies, and locations very badly.

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 07:06 PM
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

There's also DC's The Great Ten. Though I think they could have been much cooler than they were.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 09:01 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Simbon

I agree on The Great Ten -- could have been much better, especially considering the material there is to draw on.

It's a matter of numbers, though. There should be four times as many Chinese heroes as American heroes.

Xemnu Respect Thread

Old Post Jun 28th, 2011 09:22 PM