How would you improve an underachieving Character

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Newjak
The recent Ares vs Colossus Thread got me thinking about this.

So we all know the type of characters who for all intents and purposes should be a hell of lot more dangerous/powerful/stronger yet continuously fall below our expectations of them.

Sometimes they will shine and they do display feats that are good but then they go right back to being subpar of what we think they should be able to do.

This thread is how we would improve those characters to meet our expectations.

Newjak
My personal character would be Ares. seriously he is the God of War and his supposed to be a rival to Hercules and supposed to be dangerous even to Thor. He's supposed to be a Master of every combat style and weapon known to Earth. He also is supposed to be the living embodiment of War and a great tactician along with signifying everything that makes war ugly.

Yet you could make a Colossus vs Ares H2H thread and their would be legitimate arguments you could make on why Colossus could possibly win that fight.

The guy should be able to walk over Colossus like a chump, or other supposed meta level characters like its a breeze.

Ways I would improve him to meet what I expect to come of him.

Allow him to be able to instantly analyze and know mutliple outcomes for a given fight.

Be able to bring out the worst most War fueled emotions in people.

Make it so that anything he wields as a weapon gets infused with his godly power to bring out its maximum potential. The more lethal the weapon the more he can upgrade it. So his Admantine Ax would be able to cut through anything including space/time/energy.

Make him definitive Wonder Woman strength no questions asked.

Also make him capable of replicating anything any machine of war could do.

So he should be able to fly, breath under water that kind of thing.

Digi
Female ----> sex with Wolverine

Male -----> Sex with any hot character. Or Wolverine.

Internet cred will skyrocket as a result, which will eventually lead to sales, better writers, solo title, power boost, more sex, etc. The brief sacrifice in integrity will pay dividends.

Take the long view, god damnit. I'm tired of this reactionary sh*t.

crackers

Digi
Or what Newjak was saying. That's good too.

Newjak
Originally posted by Digi
Or what Newjak was saying. That's good too. laughing out loud

Yeah I don't know if your post was quite in the spirit of the thread, but good ideas stick out tongue

Philosophía
I feel Batman is an underachiever when it comes to taking Galactus in hand to hand.

So I'd probably give him Living Tribunal level stats.

Because that totally makes sense. And it would go with the "BatGod" part.

I also feel that Robin sometimes underachieves.

I'd probably make him the embodiement of the whole Universe.

Like Eternity.

Or maybe give him Odin stats.

To stop his darn underachieving.

All in the spirit of the thread, of course.

Newjak

StyleTime
I think he was making a point about characters being who they are and not being who they are not.

Anyways, Digi's post wins the contest.

Bouboumaster
Odin's head underachived against Galactus'

Badabing
Originally posted by Newjak
The recent Ares vs Colossus Thread got me thinking about this.

So we all know the type of characters who for all intents and purposes should be a hell of lot more dangerous/powerful/stronger yet continuously fall below our expectations of them.

Sometimes they will shine and they do display feats that are good but then they go right back to being subpar of what we think they should be able to do.

This thread is how we would improve those characters to meet our expectations. I would rename characters Badabing or Newjak.

Other than that, stop making every character so inconsistent. And stop trying to inject comics with real social and political undetones all the time. Cripes, sometimes we just wanna read a good story.

Black bolt z
Make champion not the weakling he is.

Newjak
Originally posted by StyleTime
I think he was making a point about characters being who they are and not being who they are not.

Anyways, Digi's post wins the contest. I know, the first part was sarcastic I knew he was trying to make some over the top statement and example.

And as for his point. I could give two shits about it. If that is his stance he can make his own thread about it stick out tongue

Newjak
Originally posted by Badabing
I would rename characters Badabing or Newjak.

Other than that, stop making every character so inconsistent. And stop trying to inject comics with real social and political undetones all the time. Cripes, sometimes we just wanna read a good story. Haha I like this.

Digi
I know, the first part was sarcastic I knew he was trying to make some over the top statement and example.

And as for his point. I could give two shits about it. If that is his stance he can make his own thread about it stick out tongue

lol, damn dude. I think I just got burned.

The post was in jest, I don't have serious ideas despite liking the thread's premise. But realistically, a small portion of what I said is probably true. The massive amounts of hormones driving the 16-20 male crowd that comics tries to target would undoubtedly drive some sales if someone started sleeping around with other characters. And once sales spike, that opens doors for writers and titles.

There's a reason certain characters get wanked heavily (metaphorically, this time wink ). Take Hulk for example. Marvel knows its fanbase.

Don Corleone
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Make champion not the weakling he is.

Agreed. For a guy that's not supposed to lose. He sure has lost a lot.

Thanos, She-Hulk, Silver Surfer, Drax . That's just off the top of my head.

golem370
Juggernaut imo would be my character. Having him use the powers from cyttorak completely or give him more power as the Juggernaut namely immunity to telepathys and being as durable as his shield gives him without needing it.

jalek moye
Originally posted by golem370
Juggernaut imo would be my character. Having him use the powers from cyttorak completely or give him more power as the Juggernaut namely immunity to telepathys and being as durable as his shield gives him without needing it.

so you want him to never lose and kill every other character he fights?

StyleTime
I know, the first part was sarcastic I knew he was trying to make some over the top statement and example.

I gotcha.

As for the thread, I'd probably throw Gambit a "boost." I think he should perform better against Wolverine than he does considering his powerset.

The post was in jest, I don't have serious ideas despite liking the thread's premise. But realistically, a small portion of what I said is probably true. The massive amounts of hormones driving the 16-20 male crowd that comics tries to target would undoubtedly drive some sales if someone started sleeping around with other characters. And once sales spike, that opens doors for writers and titles.

There's a reason certain characters get wanked heavily (metaphorically, this time wink ). Take Hulk for example. Marvel knows its fanbase.
I think he was talking about Philosophia's post.

Eternal Idol
The Champion and the Juggernaut should never lose to anyone who is not at least herald level and lacks power versatility.

Ares should be written as a cold and calculating type who won't get his hands dirty unless he has too. Much like with Wolverine, he should be shown to use more skill and less head-first berserker charging.

Captain Ultra should be revealed as the fourth face of the Living Tribunal.

The Shocker and the Rhino should be kicking much more ass than they do. A revamp emphasizing each's personality as cold-blooded killers for hire would help.

Colossus should take it to another high-level brick, and eventually knock him out via fisticuffs. Finally get him a legit and undisputed victory over some big name, without the rest of the X-Men's help.

Would like to see Deadpool's zany antics toned down a bit. Sometimes it gets over-the-top ridiculous, and at times, it's not even funny. Hard to take the character even semi-seriously, even if it is Deadpool. I'm sure X-Force is working on that though.

I feel like Xavier's been chumped lately. He doesn't come across the inspirational founder of the X-Men, or even the world's most powerful psychic to me anymore. Xavier needs to take charge of something without coming across as a dick, and save the day once more.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Eternal Idol

Ares should be written as a cold and calculating type who won't get his hands dirty unless he has too. Much like with Wolverine, he should be shown to use more skill and less head-first berserker charging.

I thought ares was supposed to be the brutal up close part of war and Athena the thinking one? Imo if thats the case Ares should just have better powers but still be a fighter.

Eternal Idol
Originally posted by jalek moye
I thought ares was supposed to be the brutal up close part of war and Athena the thinking one? Imo if thats the case Ares should just have better powers but still be a fighter.

Yeah, but as an Olympian god, and an arrogant one to boot, it should be beneath him to fight anyone well beneath his own power. He's also supposed to be some magnificent military strategist and battle tactician. That's rarely depicted though, and instead is shown as your ordinary hotheaded brick.

golem370
I want his to be a Juggernaut

Bentley
I would make a huge event about the Eternals essentially overpowering everyone on Earth to save them from a cosmic cataclism, and the heroes would do a misguided attempt to stop them during the whole event until they are revealed to be wrong. Doom totally tries to steal the power of the cosmic menace and dies off panel.

Newjak

There's a reason certain characters get wanked heavily (metaphorically, this time wink ). Take Hulk for example. Marvel knows its fanbase. Yeah it wasn't at you. I knew yours was in good fun stick out tongue

-Pr-
I'd write Cyclops the way he's supposed to be written character wise, as a deep, layered character that's more than just an attempt to be all broody and pleasing the lowest common denominator of "only anti-heroes are any good" people.

And i'd define his powers more clearly.

Deadline
Originally posted by -Pr-
I'd write Cyclops the way he's supposed to be written character wise, as a deep, layered character that's more than just an attempt to be all broody and pleasing the lowest common denominator of "only anti-heroes are any good" people.

And i'd define his powers more clearly.

What you mean make him less of a badass? I think they maybe trying to make him more realistic.

roughrider
Move Captain Marvel(DC) to the west coast to operate; forget Fawcett City.

Have Moon Knight operate out of the Florida-Louisiana area, instead of being another New York vigilante.

Bentley
Moon Knight isn't based on New York right now...

Deadline
^ haha. Doh!

TheMagicPillow
They really need to fix Galactus. I would have him appear a LOT less so to make his few appearances more....i don't know, threatening, the situation he is involved in more dire. Stuff like that. I mean its like he's a guest star in every run that takes place in space (hey that rhymed).

Thor to. I feel he's been underachieving a lot in the last few years. Write him to his potential (although i feel "fear itself" is doing a pretty good job with him and his power levels).

Well those are my two cents.

And come on marvel, Stilt man needs his own ongoing! laughing

SamZED
I know what i'd do. Id fire Way and pay Kelly sh!tload of money to take over. Hell, Remender would be a much better choice to write the series...

-Pr-
Originally posted by Deadline
What you mean make him less of a badass? I think they maybe trying to make him more realistic.

not less of a badass. he was more realistic before they changed him anyway; now he's just trying too hard to be "cool".

it's about attitudes and personality, not achievements.

Eternal Idol
Originally posted by TheMagicPillow
They really need to fix Galactus. I would have him appear a LOT less so to make his few appearances more....i don't know, threatening, the situation he is involved in more dire. Stuff like that. I mean its like he's a guest star in every run that takes place in space (hey that rhymed).

Thor to. I feel he's been underachieving a lot in the last few years. Write him to his potential (although i feel "fear itself" is doing a pretty good job with him and his power levels).

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj238/tawaen/GIF/applause.gif

And come on marvel, Stilt man needs his own ongoing! laughing

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss313/BlackZero9/implied-facepalm.jpg

SamZED

And come on marvel, Stilt man needs his own ongoing! laughing Thor is underachieving? Thor is the one saving everyone's ass in the past 3 major events.

Id have Gladiator kick more ass.

Nihilist
Mephisto needs some major feats behind him as he is essentially the major eternal evil in the MU.

golem370
I would like to see Spider-Man fight like a confident person without self-doubt

roughrider
Originally posted by Bentley
Moon Knight isn't based on New York right now...

Yeah, I read that recently with the launch of the new book by Bendis & Maleev( I'm waiting for the first trade to come.) Los Angeles is definitely a good direction to go.

Simbon
Many of Marvel's characters are too short, IMO -- it's hard to respect someone when they only come up to your shoulder. There are also a lot of female characters that need to dress more professionally if they want to be taken seriously: tigra comes to mind.

On the other hand, new powers could also help. Like if Shocker suddenly learned how to fly, or if Rhino gained the power to control music. I would also like to read a mini-series where Thing decides to go back to college, and finds out that he is an even better scientist than Reed.

-Pr-
Gonna retract what I said about Cyclops; Gillen has, for the most part, repaired most of the horribleness that came from Fraction, Kyle and Yost.

Bentley
Since when did he start in Uncanny?

-Pr-
Issuse 534.1 is the first one i read (after having it recommended by ExodusCloak). It's just before the new breakworld arc.

Omega Vision
I'd make Sodam Yat stalemate a Superman level character without tapping into the Ion power and then easily stomp them after tapping into it.

As it stands people can (and have) made decent arguments that even with the Ion Power Sodam Yat won't take a clear majority over Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.