KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » How would you improve an underachieving Character

How would you improve an underachieving Character
Started by: Newjak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

How would you improve an underachieving Character

The recent Ares vs Colossus Thread got me thinking about this.

So we all know the type of characters who for all intents and purposes should be a hell of lot more dangerous/powerful/stronger yet continuously fall below our expectations of them.

Sometimes they will shine and they do display feats that are good but then they go right back to being subpar of what we think they should be able to do.

This thread is how we would improve those characters to meet our expectations.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 10:21 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

My personal character would be Ares. seriously he is the God of War and his supposed to be a rival to Hercules and supposed to be dangerous even to Thor. He's supposed to be a Master of every combat style and weapon known to Earth. He also is supposed to be the living embodiment of War and a great tactician along with signifying everything that makes war ugly.

Yet you could make a Colossus vs Ares H2H thread and their would be legitimate arguments you could make on why Colossus could possibly win that fight.

The guy should be able to walk over Colossus like a chump, or other supposed meta level characters like its a breeze.

Ways I would improve him to meet what I expect to come of him.

Allow him to be able to instantly analyze and know mutliple outcomes for a given fight.

Be able to bring out the worst most War fueled emotions in people.

Make it so that anything he wields as a weapon gets infused with his godly power to bring out its maximum potential. The more lethal the weapon the more he can upgrade it. So his Admantine Ax would be able to cut through anything including space/time/energy.

Make him definitive Wonder Woman strength no questions asked.

Also make him capable of replicating anything any machine of war could do.

So he should be able to fly, breath under water that kind of thing.

sig by Rao Kal El

Last edited by Newjak on Sep 11th, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 10:29 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Female ----> sex with Wolverine

Male -----> Sex with any hot character. Or Wolverine.

Internet cred will skyrocket as a result, which will eventually lead to sales, better writers, solo title, power boost, more sex, etc. The brief sacrifice in integrity will pay dividends.

Take the long view, god damnit. I'm tired of this reactionary sh*t.

Last edited by Digi on Sep 11th, 2011 at 10:35 PM

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 10:33 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Or what Newjak was saying. That's good too.

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 10:34 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
Or what Newjak was saying. That's good too.
laughing out loud

Yeah I don't know if your post was quite in the spirit of the thread, but good ideas stick out tongue

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 10:36 PM
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

I feel Batman is an underachiever when it comes to taking Galactus in hand to hand.

So I'd probably give him Living Tribunal level stats.

Because that totally makes sense. And it would go with the "BatGod" part.

I also feel that Robin sometimes underachieves.

I'd probably make him the embodiement of the whole Universe.

Like Eternity.

Or maybe give him Odin stats.

To stop his darn underachieving.

All in the spirit of the thread, of course.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 10:54 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Philosophía
I feel Batman is an underachiever when it comes to taking Galactus in hand to hand.

So I'd probably give him Living Tribunal level stats.

Because that totally makes sense. And it would go with the "BatGod" part.

I also feel that Robin sometimes underachieves.

I'd probably make him the embodiement of the whole Universe.

Like Eternity.

Or maybe give him Odin stats.

To stop his darn underachieving.

All in the spirit of the thread, of course.
Ok if that's what you believe man, I doubt it but fine.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 11:00 PM
StyleTime

I think he was making a point about characters being who they are and not being who they are not.

Anyways, Digi's post wins the contest.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 12th, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Old Post Sep 11th, 2011 11:46 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bouboumaster

Odin's head underachived against Galactus'

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 12:04 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Badabing
Karen

Originally posted by Newjak
The recent Ares vs Colossus Thread got me thinking about this.

So we all know the type of characters who for all intents and purposes should be a hell of lot more dangerous/powerful/stronger yet continuously fall below our expectations of them.

Sometimes they will shine and they do display feats that are good but then they go right back to being subpar of what we think they should be able to do.

This thread is how we would improve those characters to meet our expectations.
I would rename characters Badabing or Newjak.

Other than that, stop making every character so inconsistent. And stop trying to inject comics with real social and political undetones all the time. Cripes, sometimes we just wanna read a good story.

You've just been Trump'd!

Official pimp of Steverules

Sig by Steve Rules

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 12:11 AM
Badabing is currently offline Click here to Send Badabing a Private Message Find more posts by Badabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black bolt z
Mindsets Master

Make champion not the weakling he is.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 12:26 AM
Black bolt z is currently offline Click here to Send Black bolt z a Private Message Find more posts by Black bolt z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by StyleTime
I think he was making a point about characters being who they are and not being who they are not.

Anyways, Digi's post wins the contest.
I know, the first part was sarcastic I knew he was trying to make some over the top statement and example.

And as for his point. I could give two shits about it. If that is his stance he can make his own thread about it stick out tongue

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 12:27 AM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by Badabing
I would rename characters Badabing or Newjak.

Other than that, stop making every character so inconsistent. And stop trying to inject comics with real social and political undetones all the time. Cripes, sometimes we just wanna read a good story.
Haha I like this.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 12:27 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

I know, the first part was sarcastic I knew he was trying to make some over the top statement and example.

And as for his point. I could give two shits about it. If that is his stance he can make his own thread about it stick out tongue

lol, damn dude. I think I just got burned.

The post was in jest, I don't have serious ideas despite liking the thread's premise. But realistically, a small portion of what I said is probably true. The massive amounts of hormones driving the 16-20 male crowd that comics tries to target would undoubtedly drive some sales if someone started sleeping around with other characters. And once sales spike, that opens doors for writers and titles.

There's a reason certain characters get wanked heavily (metaphorically, this time wink ). Take Hulk for example. Marvel knows its fanbase.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 02:10 AM
Facee
Lord of Pretty

Originally posted by Black bolt z
Make champion not the weakling he is.

Agreed. For a guy that's not supposed to lose. He sure has lost a lot.

Thanos, She-Hulk, Silver Surfer, Drax . That's just off the top of my head.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 02:49 AM
Facee is currently offline Click here to Send Facee a Private Message Find more posts by Facee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
golem370

Juggernaut imo would be my character. Having him use the powers from cyttorak completely or give him more power as the Juggernaut namely immunity to telepathys and being as durable as his shield gives him without needing it.

Juggernaut66666 made sig

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 02:57 AM
golem370 is currently offline Click here to Send golem370 a Private Message Find more posts by golem370 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by golem370
Juggernaut imo would be my character. Having him use the powers from cyttorak completely or give him more power as the Juggernaut namely immunity to telepathys and being as durable as his shield gives him without needing it.

so you want him to never lose and kill every other character he fights?

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 03:36 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I gotcha.

As for the thread, I'd probably throw Gambit a "boost." I think he should perform better against Wolverine than he does considering his powerset.
Originally posted by Digi
lol, damn dude. I think I just got burned.

The post was in jest, I don't have serious ideas despite liking the thread's premise. But realistically, a small portion of what I said is probably true. The massive amounts of hormones driving the 16-20 male crowd that comics tries to target would undoubtedly drive some sales if someone started sleeping around with other characters. And once sales spike, that opens doors for writers and titles.

There's a reason certain characters get wanked heavily (metaphorically, this time wink ). Take Hulk for example. Marvel knows its fanbase.

I think he was talking about Philosophia's post.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 04:45 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eternal Idol
Lono, "The Dog"

The Champion and the Juggernaut should never lose to anyone who is not at least herald level and lacks power versatility.

Ares should be written as a cold and calculating type who won't get his hands dirty unless he has too. Much like with Wolverine, he should be shown to use more skill and less head-first berserker charging.

Captain Ultra should be revealed as the fourth face of the Living Tribunal.

The Shocker and the Rhino should be kicking much more ass than they do. A revamp emphasizing each's personality as cold-blooded killers for hire would help.

Colossus should take it to another high-level brick, and eventually knock him out via fisticuffs. Finally get him a legit and undisputed victory over some big name, without the rest of the X-Men's help.

Would like to see Deadpool's zany antics toned down a bit. Sometimes it gets over-the-top ridiculous, and at times, it's not even funny. Hard to take the character even semi-seriously, even if it is Deadpool. I'm sure X-Force is working on that though.

I feel like Xavier's been chumped lately. He doesn't come across the inspirational founder of the X-Men, or even the world's most powerful psychic to me anymore. Xavier needs to take charge of something without coming across as a dick, and save the day once more.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 05:25 AM
Eternal Idol is currently offline Click here to Send Eternal Idol a Private Message Find more posts by Eternal Idol Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by Eternal Idol

Ares should be written as a cold and calculating type who won't get his hands dirty unless he has too. Much like with Wolverine, he should be shown to use more skill and less head-first berserker charging.

I thought ares was supposed to be the brutal up close part of war and Athena the thinking one? Imo if thats the case Ares should just have better powers but still be a fighter.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Sep 12th, 2011 05:31 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote