Just how powerful is galactus?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Damborgson
I should have posted this here from the start.

Anyways what I've been wondering is that while of course Galactus super powerful he has been seen doing bad more than good. I know jobbing when I see it. But when we compare Galactus' great showings: beating Mephisto in his realm, beating FP Tyrant, fighting Inbetweener, etc...to his low showings: getting knocked over and out by strange, getting abused by Thor, getting launched by Thanos and the exerting himself breaking his shields enough to the point where he became hungry etc...it seems to me that he is overrated. This is not bashing. Big-G is one of my favorite characters. And as Much as I like to see Thor smashing into the side of his head and taking a piece of his helmet off with him, I dont see it as right....

So Averaging the low and the high showings.....

Where would you place Galactus?

Hungry:

Well fed:

Full Power:

I know at full power he is supposed to be the equal of eternity but...well Eternity hasnt really impressed me either.

Colossus-Big C
Hungry - Trans Tier
Well Fed - Mid Skyfather
Full Power-Slightly Above Skyfather

the Darkone
Hungry: High Cube being level

Well fed: Equal or Superior with Cosmic Abstracts, like Celestials, Chaos and Order

Full Power: Eternity Level, which has been stated in comics.

No Pis involve Galactus should be one of the most powerful being in the Universe, period.

the Darkone
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
Hungry - Trans Tier
Well Fed - Mid Skyfather

Why I am not surprise, keep telling your self that delusional lie!

Digi
This well fed/hungry stuff is mostly a forum invention. We don't really have levels for him...ever. Nor definite feats that we can attribute to each level. Especially "full power." There might be 1-2 "hungry" feats, but the very idea of full power is some sort of myth that's never been substantiated. Galactus is Galactus. To pretend that he jumps wildly based solely on hunger is a bit naive. He's got good and bad showings like everyone else, but is basically always the same character.

jalek moye
Originally posted by Digi
This well fed/hungry stuff is mostly a forum invention. We don't really have levels for him...ever. Nor definite feats that we can attribute to each level. Especially "full power." There might be 1-2 "hungry" feats, but the very idea of full power is some sort of myth that's never been substantiated. Galactus is Galactus. To pretend that he jumps wildly based solely on hunger is a bit naive. He's got good and bad showings like everyone else, but is basically always the same character.
to a degree he can, irc actually. Not saying it's the level people claim but devouring/absorbing things does give him energy and in Godhunter Bill was weakening him by destroying whatever he wanted to eat.

Damborgson
This well fed/hungry stuff is mostly a forum invention. We don't really have levels for him...ever. Nor definite feats that we can attribute to each level. Especially "full power." There might be 1-2 "hungry" feats, but the very idea of full power is some sort of myth that's never been substantiated. Galactus is Galactus. To pretend that he jumps wildly based solely on hunger is a bit naive. He's got good and bad showings like everyone else, but is basically always the same character. So there are no actual showings of Galactus at "full power" why do i keep hearing people say stuff like galactus at full power is the equal of eternity and such? I've never actually seen the scan so I just took their word for it.,,,does it even exist?

Colossus-Big C
Nope

the Darkone
Originally posted by Damborgson
So there are no actual showings of Galactus at "full power" why do i keep hearing people say stuff like galactus at full power is the equal of eternity and such? I've never actually seen the scan so I just took their word for it.,,,does it even exist?

It was stated in comic, forgot which one but even Eternity stated it. It's in a actually comic. FP Galactus means if he absorbs his ship TaaII, Galactus is a notch below Eternity, but they do treat each other as equals.

Digi
So there are no actual showings of Galactus at "full power" why do i keep hearing people say stuff like galactus at full power is the equal of eternity and such? I've never actually seen the scan so I just took their word for it.,,,does it even exist?

Like I said, it's mostly a construction of the forum community. There's 1-2 obscure, vague feats that people have extrapolated into meaning way too much for the sake of a shared vocabulary on the forums. Be careful with such things.

Like the Eternity comment that was mentioned. One idle comment about a character with decades of history, and it's become a full-on power level for Galactus on the forums. We know he can fluctuate somewhat, we do have evidence of that in spades, but if anyone tells you exactly where Galactus is power-wise at certain sustenance levels, they're deluding themselves. There are not concrete levels, and likely far less deviation between his best and worst than most would state.

guy222
very very powerful

imho, he's nowhere near death or eternity in power

Galan007
It has never been outright stated in any comic(s) that Galactus=Eternity. That is a forum myth.

Bentley
Geez, with this kind of question I should finish the revamped capability thread...

guy222
i take a look if u do

Igniz
Full powered Galactus?The only showing I could think that shows how powerful he was if fully fed was his fight against his own creation Tyrant(FP).They were blowing Galaxies in their fight if I remember.As Galactus being equal to Eternity, I think its the role that Galactus plays in the universe(or multiverse).He's in the middle between Eternity and Death.Whenever he feeds on a planet, some of those energies goes to the bonds that keeps Abraxas inside Eternity.Insuring the survival of more for the price of few.

Power Cosmic II

Like I said, it's mostly a construction of the forum community. There's 1-2 obscure, vague feats that people have extrapolated into meaning way too much for the sake of a shared vocabulary on the forums. Be careful with such things.

Like the Eternity comment that was mentioned. One idle comment about a character with decades of history, and it's become a full-on power level for Galactus on the forums. We know he can fluctuate somewhat, we do have evidence of that in spades, but if anyone tells you exactly where Galactus is power-wise at certain sustenance levels, they're deluding themselves. There are not concrete levels, and likely far less deviation between his best and worst than most would state.

I disagree with this. To some degree it's a forum "invention" in so far as a qualified state--like "Sun-dipped" Superman, "Insane" Thor, "Worthy" Juggernaut, etc.--but unlike the aforementioned, his power is supposed to fluctuate. Hence I would use the term "forum invention" less than I would apply "forum observation." But if you want to strictly use it in the sense of the vs. forum, then yes "hungry"/"fed"/"well fed" etc. are all forum inventions, but they have to be, because in order to adhere to the forum rules, which state

(yeah, obviously you know the rules. I'm just posting here to illustrate my point)

then we clearly need to distinguish between a Galactus that IS explicitly weakened (hungry at the onset of the story/battle) and one that is not. So it may be an "invention," but it's the result of properly portraying the character in the context of board rules.

Godhunter is a perfect, simple example. Almost the entire story, he is literally in a dire, hungry state. That's hungry Galactus. No invention there. He is so weak that it gets to the point were a huge armada of starships WILL kill him. However, he feeds on the planet, and then, with literally a gesture, destroys the entire armada. The same armada that Galactus was running from, the same armada that had sufficient firepower to completely overwhelm 2 heralds of Galactus at the same time. That armada is gone with a wave of his hand. That's fed Galactus. By forum rules, that's the Galactus that should be used in every vs. fight. Not explicitly over-powered/"full power" nor weakened/"hungry"

That distinction is lost by many, many posters here on the vs. forum. There are certain individuals who have trolled threads involving Galactus in the past (I won't name them, we all know who they are) and bring up "low" showings. For example (not calling you a troll, Damborgson)

to his low showings: getting knocked over and out by strange, getting abused by Thor, getting launched by Thanos and the exerting himself breaking his shields enough to the point where he became hungry etc...

I argue that these showings aren't appropriate for a vs. battle. Why? Because Strange crippling him with the images of Ikkon spell, cap bashing him with his shield, thor using a hammer blow from mjolnir, thing punching him out, etc. all (or almost all) happened in a single issue where Galactus was near death. Do we use "near death" Galactus in a forum battle? No, we don't. Yet some people continuously bring up those "low showings" as evidence in feats. I counter with, why are you assuming Galactus is hungry at the onset of the contest? When does it ever state in the rules that we need to assume the character is at his weakest levels? That's why the forum has created these "hunger level categories" for Galactus.

Because more than any other comics character, Galactus will appear, more often than not, at an "under-powered" state: hungry. And it's actually quite easy to determine feats that can be attributable to each level. It's easy because any feats surrounding a planet Galactus has come to consume are automatically "hungry" Galactus feats. I don't think that's anyone's invention. It's cut and dry and clear as day: Galactus is weak/weakened, and then this is what happens in the story, x, y, z. Galactus and the Phoenix Force both acknowledge that Galactus is weak due to hunger; after the fight, Galactus says their battle left him so depleted he is near death. Thus the entire contest is Galactus "hungry." The extrapolation occurs when we say "hungry Galactus fought the Phoenix Force, and eventually could no longer continue. What can a Fed Galactus do?"

There are even moments we know G is between feedings, since it's explicitly mentioned, like in the issue where G confronts Agamotto.

Now, I will state that while a "hungry" Galactus is easily identified, and a "near death" Galactus identified as well, a one that is "well-fed" is less common. Not absent, just less common.

The point I am making is this. For everyone that loves to bring up low showings for G (yes, I know there are plenty), how many of them are when he is hungry, or near death? How many are of him at least fed? You'll find the former far, far, far outnumber the latter. It's a built in plot device for writers to use; like Doombots, but even more convenient.

And that's what the forum battles do, strip out the BS like plot induced stupidity and under-powered states of character.

A lot of people conflate "normal" Galactus with his "normal" appearances. Well, his "normal" appearances are more often than not, when he is "abnormally" under-powered. Stories can't be told when Galactus waves his hand and makes guys like Cap and Iron Man disappear forever. So he's always hungry. Galactus eventually will get hungry, yes. But it's what he can do while he's not in a weakened state is the question that should be asked.

In a 2 horse race, yeah, one of the horses might fall 50 yards behind by the very end of a long, long race; conversely, that same horse could finish 50 yards head.

But there's a very clear difference between a horse being badly outperformed by 50 yards in the critical moments of the race, and starting the race off with 1 horse 50 yards behind.

Digi
lol, not going to get into a feat war. We know he fluctuates, but the forum acts like they're defined levels, and the question in the OP kind of presupposes that they're defined as well. That's what I was speaking against.

Nihilist
He's about Hulk lvl

Damborgson
lol, not going to get into a feat war. We know he fluctuates, but the forum acts like they're defined levels, and the question in the OP kind of presupposes that they're defined as well. That's what I was speaking against. I think you misunderstand me. While I know Galactus' power level varies due to hunger I know its not at a set defined power. I only put those ranks in OP to get estimates. I know there is no set defined rate to Hungry and well fed. I ASSUMED there was such a thing as a full power equal of eternity Galactus but regardless of that I dont believe he has set in stone rates. I just wanted some averages is all.

WanderingDroid
He's not as powerful as The Spectre.

Nuff said.

Bouboumaster
He has a pimp gun that put him over Eternity and Death. Without it, he's below.

Also, he's far more powerful that skyfathers, since the only thing they can do is knocking themselves on him.

Power Cosmic II
lol, not going to get into a feat war. We know he fluctuates, but the forum acts like they're defined levels, and the question in the OP kind of presupposes that they're defined as well. That's what I was speaking against.

Right, but how else would you debate on the character? If you were debating with Pr for example and his position was Superman could beat Galactus...well, yes he could, given proper circumstances.

But what circumstances? We almost have no choice but to impose defined levels.

Otherwise every thread would be like "how hungry is Galactus"
"xx could beat Galactus if he were starving" etc. etc.

I know you're speaking against defined levels, what I'm arguing is that "forum Galactus" is not the same as "comic Galactus." And it doesn't have anything to do with picking high feats vs. low feats. It's acknowledging the context of the story; he's hungry or whatever.

In a forum battle, Galactus can get hungry/near death to the point where strange can cripple him, etc. But to throw up those scans as some kind of low showing is irrelevant because the battle doesn't start with G in that state. I argue that they only get relevant if the debater successfully supports his position that x character can wear Galactus down during the battle to the same point where Thor can bring him to his knees with a single hammer strike; i.e., when he's near death.

But a lot of posters don't get that. That's why I think for debating purposes there are defined levels.

GalanOfTaa

A Galactus with no regards for the universal consonance has been shown to be able to devour the OMNIVERSE (reality). On a side note, he has also retconned the universe.
Universe is synonymous for Eternity, minus Galactus, who is not part of it.

Originally posted by Bouboumaster
He has a pimp gun that put him over Eternity and Death. Without it, he's below.

Also, he's far more powerful that skyfathers, since the only thing they can do is knocking themselves on him.

The without it part is irrelevant, since it is as much part of him as his heart itself.
Lold at the last sentence laughing

Endless Mike
We have never seen Galactus at full power/full potential, so it is hard to say

cpd12589
Originally posted by the Darkone
Hungry: High Cube being level

Well fed: Equal or Superior with Cosmic Abstracts, like Celestials, Chaos and Order

Full Power: Eternity Level, which has been stated in comics.

No Pis involve Galactus should be one of the most powerful being in the Universe, period.

Totally agree. Full powered Galactus is equal to Eternity. Of course Eternity would out last him but he's still at that level when he's fully powered up.

With the Ultimate Nullifier Galactus is even more powerful than Eternity level beings but of course still below the Infinity Gaunlet.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
Hungry - Trans Tier
Well Fed - Mid Skyfather

Sounds accurate. thumb up

Bentley
So the Celestials he punked were slightly above skyfather? I'm sorry, but those guys beat Franklin wink

Daredevil1
A well fed Galactua seems to be implied above a Celestial.

But I still put him in that category.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Bentley
So the Celestials he punked were slightly above skyfather? I'm sorry, but those guys beat Franklin wink

I should have made my sarcasm much more scathing.

Bentley
Ah, made a headbutt reference next time embarrasment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.