KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Just how powerful is galactus?

Just how powerful is galactus?
Started by: Damborgson

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

Just how powerful is galactus?

I should have posted this here from the start.

Anyways what I've been wondering is that while of course Galactus super powerful he has been seen doing bad more than good. I know jobbing when I see it. But when we compare Galactus' great showings: beating Mephisto in his realm, beating FP Tyrant, fighting Inbetweener, etc...to his low showings: getting knocked over and out by strange, getting abused by Thor, getting launched by Thanos and the exerting himself breaking his shields enough to the point where he became hungry etc...it seems to me that he is overrated. This is not bashing. Big-G is one of my favorite characters. And as Much as I like to see Thor smashing into the side of his head and taking a piece of his helmet off with him, I dont see it as right....

So Averaging the low and the high showings.....

Where would you place Galactus?

Hungry:

Well fed:

Full Power:

I know at full power he is supposed to be the equal of eternity but...well Eternity hasnt really impressed me either.

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Oct 15th, 2011 10:16 PM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hungry - Trans Tier
Well Fed - Mid Skyfather
Full Power-Slightly Above Skyfather

I have returned

Old Post Oct 15th, 2011 11:29 PM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the Darkone

Hungry: High Cube being level

Well fed: Equal or Superior with Cosmic Abstracts, like Celestials, Chaos and Order

Full Power: Eternity Level, which has been stated in comics.

No Pis involve Galactus should be one of the most powerful being in the Universe, period.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2011 11:32 PM
the Darkone is currently offline Click here to Send the Darkone a Private Message Find more posts by the Darkone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the Darkone

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
Hungry - Trans Tier
Well Fed - Mid Skyfather
Full Power-Slightly Above Skyfather

Why I am not surprise, keep telling your self that delusional lie!

Old Post Oct 15th, 2011 11:33 PM
the Darkone is currently offline Click here to Send the Darkone a Private Message Find more posts by the Darkone Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

This well fed/hungry stuff is mostly a forum invention. We don't really have levels for him...ever. Nor definite feats that we can attribute to each level. Especially "full power." There might be 1-2 "hungry" feats, but the very idea of full power is some sort of myth that's never been substantiated. Galactus is Galactus. To pretend that he jumps wildly based solely on hunger is a bit naive. He's got good and bad showings like everyone else, but is basically always the same character.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2011 04:14 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by Digi
This well fed/hungry stuff is mostly a forum invention. We don't really have levels for him...ever. Nor definite feats that we can attribute to each level. Especially "full power." There might be 1-2 "hungry" feats, but the very idea of full power is some sort of myth that's never been substantiated. Galactus is Galactus. To pretend that he jumps wildly based solely on hunger is a bit naive. He's got good and bad showings like everyone else, but is basically always the same character.

to a degree he can, irc actually. Not saying it's the level people claim but devouring/absorbing things does give him energy and in Godhunter Bill was weakening him by destroying whatever he wanted to eat.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Oct 16th, 2011 04:31 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

So there are no actual showings of Galactus at "full power" why do i keep hearing people say stuff like galactus at full power is the equal of eternity and such? I've never actually seen the scan so I just took their word for it.,,,does it even exist?

-Abhi Killer- X2

Old Post Oct 16th, 2011 04:35 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Colossus-Big C
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nope

I have returned

Old Post Oct 16th, 2011 04:39 AM
Colossus-Big C is currently offline Click here to Send Colossus-Big C a Private Message Find more posts by Colossus-Big C Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the Darkone

Originally posted by Damborgson
So there are no actual showings of Galactus at "full power" why do i keep hearing people say stuff like galactus at full power is the equal of eternity and such? I've never actually seen the scan so I just took their word for it.,,,does it even exist?

It was stated in comic, forgot which one but even Eternity stated it. It's in a actually comic. FP Galactus means if he absorbs his ship TaaII, Galactus is a notch below Eternity, but they do treat each other as equals.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2011 04:57 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Like I said, it's mostly a construction of the forum community. There's 1-2 obscure, vague feats that people have extrapolated into meaning way too much for the sake of a shared vocabulary on the forums. Be careful with such things.

Like the Eternity comment that was mentioned. One idle comment about a character with decades of history, and it's become a full-on power level for Galactus on the forums. We know he can fluctuate somewhat, we do have evidence of that in spades, but if anyone tells you exactly where Galactus is power-wise at certain sustenance levels, they're deluding themselves. There are not concrete levels, and likely far less deviation between his best and worst than most would state.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2011 05:47 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
guy222
With my gal

very very powerful

imho, he's nowhere near death or eternity in power

thank u bz

Old Post Oct 16th, 2011 06:17 AM
guy222 is currently offline Click here to Send guy222 a Private Message Find more posts by guy222 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

It has never been outright stated in any comic(s) that Galactus=Eternity. That is a forum myth.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Oct 16th, 2011 at 02:04 PM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2011 01:57 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Geez, with this kind of question I should finish the revamped capability thread...

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 16th, 2011 04:59 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
guy222
With my gal

i take a look if u do

thank u bz

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 12:51 AM
guy222 is currently offline Click here to Send guy222 a Private Message Find more posts by guy222 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Igniz
I reign supreme!

Full powered Galactus?The only showing I could think that shows how powerful he was if fully fed was his fight against his own creation Tyrant(FP).They were blowing Galaxies in their fight if I remember.As Galactus being equal to Eternity, I think its the role that Galactus plays in the universe(or multiverse).He's in the middle between Eternity and Death.Whenever he feeds on a planet, some of those energies goes to the bonds that keeps Abraxas inside Eternity.Insuring the survival of more for the price of few.

I'm the CEO of NEST!
Respect Chaos King Fear The Dread Dormammu Surtur Carnivore

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 01:50 AM
Igniz is currently offline Click here to Send Igniz a Private Message Find more posts by Igniz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Power Cosmic II
BigG > Mad Celestial Host

Like I said, it's mostly a construction of the forum community. There's 1-2 obscure, vague feats that people have extrapolated into meaning way too much for the sake of a shared vocabulary on the forums. Be careful with such things.

Like the Eternity comment that was mentioned. One idle comment about a character with decades of history, and it's become a full-on power level for Galactus on the forums. We know he can fluctuate somewhat, we do have evidence of that in spades, but if anyone tells you exactly where Galactus is power-wise at certain sustenance levels, they're deluding themselves. There are not concrete levels, and likely far less deviation between his best and worst than most would state.

I disagree with this. To some degree it's a forum "invention" in so far as a qualified state--like "Sun-dipped" Superman, "Insane" Thor, "Worthy" Juggernaut, etc.--but unlike the aforementioned, his power is supposed to fluctuate. Hence I would use the term "forum invention" less than I would apply "forum observation." But if you want to strictly use it in the sense of the vs. forum, then yes "hungry"/"fed"/"well fed" etc. are all forum inventions, but they have to be, because in order to adhere to the forum rules, which state

quote:
It is also assumed that the characters fight at their optimum levels of ability - not explicitly weakened or unusually powered up for those who have variable power levels.

(yeah, obviously you know the rules. I'm just posting here to illustrate my point)

then we clearly need to distinguish between a Galactus that IS explicitly weakened (hungry at the onset of the story/battle) and one that is not. So it may be an "invention," but it's the result of properly portraying the character in the context of board rules.

Godhunter is a perfect, simple example. Almost the entire story, he is literally in a dire, hungry state. That's hungry Galactus. No invention there. He is so weak that it gets to the point were a huge armada of starships WILL kill him. However, he feeds on the planet, and then, with literally a gesture, destroys the entire armada. The same armada that Galactus was running from, the same armada that had sufficient firepower to completely overwhelm 2 heralds of Galactus at the same time. That armada is gone with a wave of his hand. That's fed Galactus. By forum rules, that's the Galactus that should be used in every vs. fight. Not explicitly over-powered/"full power" nor weakened/"hungry"

That distinction is lost by many, many posters here on the vs. forum. There are certain individuals who have trolled threads involving Galactus in the past (I won't name them, we all know who they are) and bring up "low" showings. For example (not calling you a troll, Damborgson)

to his low showings: getting knocked over and out by strange, getting abused by Thor, getting launched by Thanos and the exerting himself breaking his shields enough to the point where he became hungry etc...

I argue that these showings aren't appropriate for a vs. battle. Why? Because Strange crippling him with the images of Ikkon spell, cap bashing him with his shield, thor using a hammer blow from mjolnir, thing punching him out, etc. all (or almost all) happened in a single issue where Galactus was near death. Do we use "near death" Galactus in a forum battle? No, we don't. Yet some people continuously bring up those "low showings" as evidence in feats. I counter with, why are you assuming Galactus is hungry at the onset of the contest? When does it ever state in the rules that we need to assume the character is at his weakest levels? That's why the forum has created these "hunger level categories" for Galactus.

Because more than any other comics character, Galactus will appear, more often than not, at an "under-powered" state: hungry. And it's actually quite easy to determine feats that can be attributable to each level. It's easy because any feats surrounding a planet Galactus has come to consume are automatically "hungry" Galactus feats. I don't think that's anyone's invention. It's cut and dry and clear as day: Galactus is weak/weakened, and then this is what happens in the story, x, y, z. Galactus and the Phoenix Force both acknowledge that Galactus is weak due to hunger; after the fight, Galactus says their battle left him so depleted he is near death. Thus the entire contest is Galactus "hungry." The extrapolation occurs when we say "hungry Galactus fought the Phoenix Force, and eventually could no longer continue. What can a Fed Galactus do?"

There are even moments we know G is between feedings, since it's explicitly mentioned, like in the issue where G confronts Agamotto.

Now, I will state that while a "hungry" Galactus is easily identified, and a "near death" Galactus identified as well, a one that is "well-fed" is less common. Not absent, just less common.

The point I am making is this. For everyone that loves to bring up low showings for G (yes, I know there are plenty), how many of them are when he is hungry, or near death? How many are of him at least fed? You'll find the former far, far, far outnumber the latter. It's a built in plot device for writers to use; like Doombots, but even more convenient.

And that's what the forum battles do, strip out the BS like plot induced stupidity and under-powered states of character.

A lot of people conflate "normal" Galactus with his "normal" appearances. Well, his "normal" appearances are more often than not, when he is "abnormally" under-powered. Stories can't be told when Galactus waves his hand and makes guys like Cap and Iron Man disappear forever. So he's always hungry. Galactus eventually will get hungry, yes. But it's what he can do while he's not in a weakened state is the question that should be asked.

In a 2 horse race, yeah, one of the horses might fall 50 yards behind by the very end of a long, long race; conversely, that same horse could finish 50 yards head.

But there's a very clear difference between a horse being badly outperformed by 50 yards in the critical moments of the race, and starting the race off with 1 horse 50 yards behind.

"It is unwise to battle the Power Cosmic." - Silver Surfer

Last edited by Power Cosmic II on Oct 17th, 2011 at 05:21 PM

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 05:13 PM
Power Cosmic II is currently offline Click here to Send Power Cosmic II a Private Message Find more posts by Power Cosmic II Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

lol, not going to get into a feat war. We know he fluctuates, but the forum acts like they're defined levels, and the question in the OP kind of presupposes that they're defined as well. That's what I was speaking against.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 05:21 PM
Nihilist

He's about Hulk lvl

Big thanks to Scythe

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 10:48 PM
Nihilist is currently offline Click here to Send Nihilist a Private Message Find more posts by Nihilist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

lol, not going to get into a feat war. We know he fluctuates, but the forum acts like they're defined levels, and the question in the OP kind of presupposes that they're defined as well. That's what I was speaking against.
I think you misunderstand me. While I know Galactus' power level varies due to hunger I know its not at a set defined power. I only put those ranks in OP to get estimates. I know there is no set defined rate to Hungry and well fed. I ASSUMED there was such a thing as a full power equal of eternity Galactus but regardless of that I dont believe he has set in stone rates. I just wanted some averages is all.

-Abhi Killer- X2

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 11:15 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

He's not as powerful as The Spectre.

Nuff said.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2011 11:24 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote