Stop and Frisk. is this racism or not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic

inimalist
so, in this thread are you going to pretend to be martyred by social convention or defended it tooth and nail?

yes, this is trolling, I wont mention it again

Stoic
Any comments that pertain to this subject?

inimalist
the police are overbearing and racist?

obvious facts are obvious

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Stoic
Nearly nine out of 10 stopped-and-frisked New Yorkers have been completely innocent

This is what we would expect even with a nearly perfect system for identifying criminals.

The absolute numbers are what's stunning. With no repeats that's one in twenty New Yorkers getting stopped per year.

Stoic
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
This is what we would expect even with a nearly perfect system for identifying criminals.

The absolute numbers are what's stunning. With no repeats that's one in twenty New Yorkers getting stopped per year.

Yep, and what's worse is on the news last night a cop was said to have been put under review for arresting an innocent African American male, and was quoted saying something like "Alright!!! I fried another n@gger. Oh yeah, and Bloomberg appeared o be defending the practice of Stop and Frisk, stating that it was to protect the community from criminal elements.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Who cares if it's racist? Blacks are more likely to commit crimes.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Who cares if it's racist? Blacks are more likely to commit crimes.

I minimally agree with you.

The "larger picture" would have blacks being frisked in proportion to their share of the crimes committed that necessitated frisking.

Meaning, if blacks, in New York, were likely to commit 24% of the crimes committed that would involved something that could have been prevented with frisking, then you should see 24% of those frisked being black.

Capisce?

alltoomany
it is wrong!

AsbestosFlaygon
This is legal procedure that is being done not only in the US, but the rest of the world.

And yes, it is racist. What can we do, it's the way of the world. De Rothchilds' Law.

ADarksideJedi
Maybe some cops are but not all of them. To them it is getting the one who did the crime not by what race or Religion they are.

majid86
Black people are more likely to commit crime than any other ethnicity.
So yes they should be stopped and frisked by the police at any random time.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by dadudemon
I minimally agree with you.

The "larger picture" would have blacks being frisked in proportion to their share of the crimes committed that necessitated frisking.

Meaning, if blacks, in New York, were likely to commit 24% of the crimes committed that would involved something that could have been prevented with frisking, then you should see 24% of those frisked being black.

Capisce?
Trying to put hard numbers on the number of persons frisked is a waste of energy. Personally, I don't care if they frisk one race over another; I'm merely saying that crying "dats rayciss" over it is stupid.

focus4chumps
The sole purpose of this unconstitutional practice is to boost marijuana arrests.

simple possession of a small amount of pot in nyc is a violation, not a crime. however once the victim is ordered/tricked by their friendly officer into taking it out of their pockets with their own hands, they are guilty of an actual crime, since having pot out in public view is indeed a crime.

while the overwhelming majority of marijuana distribution, possession and use are caucasian, the victims are typically if not exclusively black...for several reasons:

-they are more often lower-middle class to poverty level means they cannot easily afford a competent criminal lawyer, as would a white person.

-said lower-middle class to poverty level black youths will often dress in a manner for them to be marked by police. (looking young and black)

-to practice this on white people would lead to an immediate backlash and shutting down of the practice.

-a substantial portion of new yorkers will look the other way if not openly support exclusive laws restricting black people. some for racist motives and others who feel that the ends justifies the means.

-a drop in other crimes. but since the initial violation has no direct connection to other crimes, the same logic could be stretched to its ends: jail everyone for even the most minor infractions = no more crime.

-constant streaming revenue.

dadudemon
Trying to put hard numbers on the number of persons frisked is a waste of energy. Personally, I don't care if they frisk one race over another; I'm merely saying that crying "dats rayciss" over it is stupid.

I think I get what you're saying:

If someone launched you into space a couple of thousand miles and forced you to look at the Earth, you'd still say it was flat.

Bardock42
Who cares if it's racist? Blacks are more likely to commit crimes. Are they more likely to commit crimes or are they more likely to be charged and convicted for crimes?

RE: Blaxican
I think I get what you're saying:

If someone launched you into space a couple of thousand miles and forced you to look at the Earth, you'd still say it was flat. haermmOriginally posted by Bardock42
Are they more likely to commit crimes or are they more likely to be charged and convicted for crimes? Brodock with the logic smash.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by majid86

That is true. But white people are also frisked by cops including my sister who did report the cop after he took advenge of it. smile

Stoic
Originally posted by majid86

Weird thing here is that at one mall in Livinston NJ, I asked the head of security which ethnicity did they bust more frequently, and to my surprise, the ethnicity that came out of his mouth was not black people.

jaden101

dadudemon
Originally posted by Stoic
Weird thing here is that at one mall in Livinston NJ, I asked the head of security which ethnicity did they bust more frequently, and to my surprise, the ethnicity that came out of his mouth was not black people.

With a population of only 1.2% black, it would be VERY hard to come out with a significant quantity of black-produced crime.

Did you realize that only 3 out of 250 people in that city were actually black? Surely you noticed the lack of blackness in that town?

Did you also know that the city has less larceny theft crime than New Jersey and New Jersey has less than the National Average?

http://www.homesurfer.com/crimereports/view/crime_report.cfm?state=NJ&area=Livingston%20Township

So your anecdote to imply that there is a "black crime myth" actually fails to illustrate your point. In fact, we could infer the opposite from that town (however, correlation does not imply causation so I would caution such a position).

But, to use your example to prove how faulty your point is...let's go with Detroit Michigan because it has the highest population of African Americans in the union (over 80% are black).

http://www.homesurfer.com/crimereports/view/Crime_Report.cfm?state=MI&area=Detroit

Detroit destroys Livingston completely and utterly in every crime category: monstrously so.

We do not have to stop there, either.

We can go on to Jackson MS which also has 80% black population.

That city also destroys Livingston in all categories of crime. It also is higher than the state average.

Do you see a trend? But to extrapolate "blacks cause crime" would be a virtual fallacy.

http://www.units.muohio.edu/psybersite/stereo/crime.shtml

To be honest, I still do not fully know the answer for why people commit crimes. I DO know that the poor are more likely to commit violent crimes...

I do know education plays a role....
I do know that situations (such as family) play a role. If you come from a broken home, you are more likely to commit a crime. Doesn't matter how rich or poor you are. If your parents divorced...the statistics are against you.

Some say that white collar crime is much more prevalent...and that the poor commit less of it but "violent crime" is just more visible. I have studied this (crimes, and why people do them) a lot in college and in multiple courses. It seems to be a recurring topic from ethics, to psychology, to business management. Despite this, I still do not have a clear picture of crime.

inimalist
also, a security official is probably not going to be all like "oh ya, we bust mad black people"

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
also, a security official is probably not going to be all like "oh ya, we bust mad black people"

Especially to a black guy asking about race and crime correlates.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by jaden101
Do you have the % figures of the ones that weren't "totally innocent"?

They're percentages . . .

inimalist

ah, demand characteristics smile

Symmetric Chaos

That poor guard must have been terrified that Stoic would go on a negro rampage if he heard the truth.

inimalist
I didn't realize Stoic was black (not that it matters at all)

Mindset
That poor guard must have been terrified that Stoic would go on a negro rampage if he heard the truth. laughing out loud

dadudemon
That poor guard must have been terrified that Stoic would go on a negro rampage if he heard the truth.

You can tell you're just a white dude from Jersey with statements like that. big grin

Read inimalist's statement, then read mine. It will then make sense to you.

Unless you don't know why it may not be kosher to tell a black dude that you single out black people in the mall when only 3 out of 250 are black...

Originally posted by inimalist
ah, demand characteristics smile

Yes, exactly. thumb up

cito
Think a lot of it is television. Who do you see most as suspects of a crime on tv news?

The more you watch, the more it is likely to stereotype others.

They do call it the idiotbox for a reason.

Symmetric Chaos
You can tell you're just a white dude from Jersey with statements like that. big grin

nuts

RE: Blaxican
Pretty sure Sym's terrorist or some other kind of middle eastern, no?

AsbestosFlaygon
Not being racist.

But it has been statistically proven that there are more crimes committed by blacks than any other race (in the US).

jinXed by JaNx

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.