Would you like a Cingulate brain herniation with your fries??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theICONiac
Interesting story here about a McDonalds employee who snaps while defending himself from a couple of irate customers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8y2DMdNpAY

As anyone knows who has worked in customer service, customers can be dicks. I spent a couple of years in retail management, and the abuse that you are required to take made me feel like our hapless burger-jockey in the video a number of times.

The women physically attacked first. Was the cashier justified in any shape or form for what he did?

RE: Blaxican
/reads opening post

/opens link

/reads "two black women" in title

/closes link

/that tells me all I need to know crylaugh

theICONiac
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
/reads opening post

/opens link

/reads "two black women" in title

/closes link

/that tells me all I need to know crylaugh

Better than reading 'Two women savagely beaten by black McDonalds employee with long criminal history' no? eek!

ADarksideJedi
I work with Customers at my job and some days are better then some other days. But its life.

Symmetric Chaos
If he'd broken her jaw, fine, they were assholes and they attacked him but he beat one of them with a pipe while she was lying on the ground. That's impossible to justify.

ADarksideJedi
Yea people are crazy these days.

inimalist
herniation of the cingulate would be pretty difficult....

Polish
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
If he'd broken her jaw, fine, they were assholes and they attacked him but he beat one of them with a pipe while she was lying on the ground. That's impossible to justify.

I agree with the above statement.

Omega Vision
The news report is misleading, he didn't attack them so much as fight back.

That being said, I agree with Sym, there's no way you can justify that level of violence over something like this.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
No, it's not. It's called "making an example."

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo

One of these days you'll leave puberty and then Happy Dance

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Lol. Only example made here is an example of how American prisons are failures at their expressed purpose of rehabilitation.

jaden101
Good on him...

theICONiac
Meh...I sit on the fence with this one.

One point to consider is the women's actions. Slapping the cashier is one thing; but diving over the counter to further attack him? Perhaps the cashier was scared they were armed, and could do real harm?

The women were certainly over-the-top aggressive, as was the cashiers actions.

you get thorns
Women presented threat to employee's safety, threat neutralized.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by theICONiac
Meh...I sit on the fence with this one.

One point to consider is the women's actions. Slapping the cashier is one thing; but diving over the counter to further attack him? Perhaps the cashier was scared they were armed, and could do real harm?

The women were certainly over-the-top aggressive, as was the cashiers actions.
You might have something of a point (a small and shaky one) but for the fact that the guy kept beating them after they were down and clearly no more of a threat to him.

Any attempt to paint this as self-defense on the part of the employee is fallacious. Conversely any attempt to paint the women as victims of unprovoked violence is similarly fallacious.

theICONiac
Originally posted by Omega Vision
You might have something of a point (a small and shaky one) but for the fact that the guy kept beating them after they were down and clearly no more of a threat to him.

Any attempt to paint this as self-defense on the part of the employee is fallacious. Conversely any attempt to paint the women as victims of unprovoked violence is similarly fallacious.

But you know what? I can't help but feel sorry for this guy. This is something not so 'black and white' (no pun intended there Blaxican smile )

Only going but what I know (and there could be lots to sway my opinion the other way) but it appears he:

- is a former con who paid his debt to society
- was working in a dead F job trying to support himself
- was attacked by 2 pieces of trash and as a result snapped, severly hurting one of them

He is now probably (based on his prior record) going to go back to prison...maybe for a considerable time. Maybe he really was trying to straighten his life out...and those 2 cows have taken it away from him.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Fixed that for you.

theICONiac
And the long awaited update!

The charges against the McDonalds employee were all dismissed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2069469/McDonalds-worker-Rayon-McIntosh-cleared-metal-pole-attack-women.html

Was justice served??

Oliver North
I feel if they had gone for lighter charges, rather than assault with a weapon, they might have had a better case. It is clearly self defense, and I'd generally give some leeway to the person defending themselves in the head of the moment. Does something like "excessive defense" exist on the books as a softer form of assault? or is this one of those cases where it is either all or nothing?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Oliver North
I feel if they had gone for lighter charges, rather than assault with a weapon, they might have had a better case. It is clearly self defense, and I'd generally give some leeway to the person defending themselves in the head of the moment. Does something like "excessive defense" exist on the books as a softer form of assault? or is this one of those cases where it is either all or nothing?

I would say that it got excessive when he hit her 2 or 3 more times AFTER she was down. Up until that point, he was literally fleeing and fighting back. lol

But, yeah..."shit got real" and he took it a bit too far those last 10 seconds. I think there is leeway in the "self-defense" argument for 2-3 extra hits above and beyond what was necessary. It took 11-days during the grand jury hearing so obviously there was quite a bit of back and forth.

Raisen
Originally posted by dadudemon
I would say that it got excessive when he hit her 2 or 3 more times AFTER she was down. Up until that point, he was literally fleeing and fighting back. lol

But, yeah..."shit got real" and he took it a bit too far those last 10 seconds. I think there is leeway in the "self-defense" argument for 2-3 extra hits above and beyond what was necessary. It took 11-days during the grand jury hearing so obviously there was quite a bit of back and forth.

in the heat of something like this the vast majority of people would not be able to stop immediately. it happens all the time in law enforcement and military. it's the reason why a suspect gets shot a dozen times by one officer. or the extra swings of a baton. i'm glad this man beat this b.s.; he was obviously trying to do the right thing and he had an even harder road ahead of him considering the age of which he was incarcerated.
on another note; to point out the sexual bias in the legal system......did anybody notice that neither of the women were charged with assault?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Raisen
on another note; to point out the sexual bias in the legal system......did anybody notice that neither of the women were charged with assault?

Yup, I don't see an assault and battery charge anywhere in there.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Raisen
did anybody notice that neither of the women were charged with assault?
From what I read, only one of them actually did something to him which would provoke an assault/battery charge. The other merely attempted to do so, and failed in her endeavor, and she only did so after her friend was starting to get beaten by the cashier.

Raisen
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
From what I read, only one of them actually did something to him which would provoke an assault/battery charge. The other merely attempted to do so, and failed in her endeavor, and she only did so after her friend was starting to get beaten by the cashier.

at least the one should have been charged with assault. any man would have. if a man committed an assault, I've never, ever heard of a man not being at least charged with it

Raisen
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yup, I don't see an assault and battery charge anywhere in there.

doesn't that seem crazy to you?

jinXed by JaNx
Somebody needs to buy that guy a big mac for mcFlurrying on those customers happy meals.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.