Salute to our Veterans

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gadabout
My son is 1 year in The Marine Corp. My oldest brother is retired from The Air Force. So I send out my thanks them them and the millions of others who have, is now , and will serve our great country.

Now this makes me want to rank our nations most impact full wars. And to give a perspective for debate I'm posing it this way:

Which war would you say had the greatest impact on our nation-Excluding the Revolutionary War.

1). Civil war 11) Franco-American Naval War

2). War of 1812 12) Barbary Wars

3). Spanish American War 13) Mexican-American War

4). WWI 14) Bay of Pigs Invasion

5).WW2

6). Korean war

7). Vietnam

8) Gulf war

9) Iraq

10) Afghanistan

ADarksideJedi
My dad was in the Vietnam war so to him I say Happy Veteran day.

alltoomany
All of them..

jinXed by JaNx
Revolutionary war

§P0oONY
Anyone who votes for anything but WWI or II is a self-centred American.

WWI - Becasue it influenced WWII. (Not to mention this is why you have your Veteran's Day)

WWII - Because it literally changed the entire planet. Unlike all of the other wars on the list.

Why just "Remember our veterans"... It was rememberance day here in the UK yesterday too. There are at least 2 sides in every conflict and war, both sides are fighting for their country or what the believe is right. They should all be remembered.

ADarksideJedi
I argee but are you saying World war one and two because you live in England? My grandfather who was from England frought for World war two also so I should had added that.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I argee but are you saying World war one and two because you live in England? My grandfather who was from England frought for World war two also so I should had added that. No, I'm saying WWI/II because without them all of Europe, Asia and North Africa (and possibly more) would have fallen under the regime or Nationalists, Militarists and Fascists.

Without it the UN wouldn't exist, or the EU.

Not the mention the fact that during the war the US doubled their value and became the world superpower you see today.

I'm not saying this because I'm English. I'm saying this because I can see past my own borders.

ADarksideJedi
I see well that makes sence and I can see too.

§P0oONY
To put it frankly: World War II is the most important event in modern history.

ADarksideJedi
Yea I would say it was. So was the Crivil war as well.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Yea I would say it was. So was the Crivil war as well. Only to Americans.

That's what kind of defines a Civil war. It's internal.

Surely the American War of Independence is more important than the Ameircan Civil War. (Both are in modern history)

ADarksideJedi
Yea one war however seems to make another war start.

Darth Jello
I put down WWII but in a way, it's also WWI since WWI was the beginning of the horrors of modern warfare and really led into the rise of fascist movements around the world and the start of WWII.

siriuswriter
All wars have made different impacts in different ways, but the one that I see as most important, or most influential to modern day, is Vietnam.

Wangor
Loving this troll thread! I will use one similar elsewhere.

Omega Vision
World War II and its not even a contest.

World War I's effects were relatively short lived in America, the economic boom that followed lasted about a decade, we became isolationist for the next 20 years, we never even joined the League of Nations which our President thought up and advocated, and the military growth it brought was completely cut back to the point that we basically had to build up from near scratch when shit started to hit the fan in Europe in the mid-to-late 30s.

Lord Lucien
Without using the extended historical Butterfly Effect (this war led to this one, which led to this one), the biggest game-changing war for the U.S. itself was likely the Civil War. It prevented that country from splitting in two and led to the end of American slavery. Without it, the American Union and Confederates could have been facing off against each other in WWI and WWII, instead of contributing as a whole. Butterfly activated--that could very well have meant Nazi Europe and Imperial Asia, or who knows what.

On an international scale, WWII obviously had the most recent greatest impact.

NeoGills
World War 2 cause my friend was in there....
Salute to our Veterans!

siriuswriter
I don't think it's self-centred of people from the US to say WWI or II, those wars brought America together in a way that the Civil War or earlier wars couldn't, because we were a large nation by then and everybody was so patriotic - you couldn't give enough scrap metal or sell enough war bonds. And of course the women's work force really boosted during those times with the men off at war.

It's really strange to compare that to today - no one thinks of Iraq or Afghanistan, and that we've still troops there.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.