In the Hobbit why is Thorin Okensheild so tall?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
You know in the new film of the Hobbit? The actor who played Thorin Okensheild is 6.2 in height. Why is that? Isn't he supposed to be a dwarf? He should be 5.3 at the very most in reality & even that's a stretching it. Why is he 6.2? Do you think they'll make him look shorter like they did with the hobbits or what?

Exabyte
All of the Hobbit and dwarf actors have size doubles.

-Pr-
Jackson uses forced perspective quite well, so I'm sure they'll look short.

Omega Vision
Pretty sure the guy who plays Gimli is of similar height.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Pretty sure the guy who plays Gimli is of similar height.

Yup; he's over six feet tall. He's taller than me lol.

Thoren
They say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but wow.

LegolasLover536
I honestly have no idea. they messed alot if stuff up in The Hobbit. It just didnt feel like going home again....sad

Exabyte
It just feels like going to a pinker and more golden home smile

Lord Lucien
A lot of the time the Dwarves didn't look like Dwarves. There's a scene before the trolls where Bilbo is standing next to Kili and Fili. They're all about the same height. Juxtapose that with Gimli standing with the Hobbits during the council of Elrond in FotR, and he's a good deal taller than them. Thorin also looked quite humanish. If you walked in to his fire/tree-walking scene without knowing anything about the film, you would never guess that this main character is supposed to be a Dawrf.

Also did anyone else notice how some Dwarves have... Dwarfish looking faces, and some don't? Balin, Gloin and Bombur had noticeably different facial features (they looked like the quintessential "Dwarf"wink, while Thorin, Dwalin, and the twins looked completely human. Stuff like that was really throwing me off.

The Rover
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
A lot of the time the Dwarves didn't look like Dwarves. There's a scene before the trolls where Bilbo is standing next to Kili and Fili. They're all about the same height. Juxtapose that with Gimli standing with the Hobbits during the council of Elrond in FotR, and he's a good deal taller than them. Thorin also looked quite humanish. If you walked in to his fire/tree-walking scene without knowing anything about the film, you would never guess that this main character is supposed to be a Dawrf.

Also did anyone else notice how some Dwarves have... Dwarfish looking faces, and some don't? Balin, Gloin and Bombur had noticeably different facial features (they looked like the quintessential "Dwarf"wink, while Thorin, Dwalin, and the twins looked completely human. Stuff like that was really throwing me off.

All of that bothered me less than the bloody axe in that one dwarf's head - and the fact that he signs and mumbles just pissed me off.

KingD19
Well the only people around the entirety of the movie were Dwarves, a Hobbit, Gandalf, Goblins, Elves, and Uruks.

Gandalf/Elves = Really tall, this was shown when the Dwarves had ample room to stand in Bilbo's house, but Gandalf was crouched nearly the entire time.

Dwarves = Short. Dwarves are short in the TOlkien-verse, but not as short as some other fantasy realms, and just like any race, height will differ. Thorin was probably "tall" because of his royal heritage and how central of a character he was.

Hobbits = Really Short. Smaller than even most dwarves, which was shown rather nicely when Bilbo stood amongst the others.

Lord Lucien
So why were Kili and Fili so short/why was Bilbo so tall?

KingD19
Might have just been a mistake of the scene.

roughrider
Pointless thread; the question has been answered. None of the actors playing Hobbits and Dwarves are the actual size of their characters. They used forced perspective shots, body doubles, CG tech and scaled up or down sets depending on what characters are in what scene, to accomplish the illusion.

The Rover
Plus, Thorin is actually mentioned in one of the sources (Appendix A to LotR? can't remember) as having been tall for a dwarf.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.