KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » In the Hobbit why is Thorin Okensheild so tall?

In the Hobbit why is Thorin Okensheild so tall?
Started by: C-3POTheClever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
C-3POTheClever

In the Hobbit why is Thorin Okensheild so tall?

You know in the new film of the Hobbit? The actor who played Thorin Okensheild is 6.2 in height. Why is that? Isn't he supposed to be a dwarf? He should be 5.3 at the very most in reality & even that's a stretching it. Why is he 6.2? Do you think they'll make him look shorter like they did with the hobbits or what?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2011 03:12 PM
C-3POTheClever is currently offline Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

All of the Hobbit and dwarf actors have size doubles.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2011 08:10 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Jackson uses forced perspective quite well, so I'm sure they'll look short.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 24th, 2011 11:50 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Pretty sure the guy who plays Gimli is of similar height.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2011 02:20 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Pretty sure the guy who plays Gimli is of similar height.

Yup; he's over six feet tall. He's taller than me lol.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 25th, 2011 09:38 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ThorinWoofer
Static Stance

They say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but wow.

Please Respond To My PM Barker

Old Post Dec 26th, 2011 05:19 PM
ThorinWoofer is currently offline Click here to Send ThorinWoofer a Private Message Find more posts by ThorinWoofer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LegolasLover536

I honestly have no idea. they messed alot if stuff up in The Hobbit. It just didnt feel like going home again....sad

Old Post Dec 18th, 2012 01:50 AM
LegolasLover536 is currently offline Click here to Send LegolasLover536 a Private Message Find more posts by LegolasLover536 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

It just feels like going to a pinker and more golden home smile

Old Post Dec 18th, 2012 08:41 AM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

A lot of the time the Dwarves didn't look like Dwarves. There's a scene before the trolls where Bilbo is standing next to Kili and Fili. They're all about the same height. Juxtapose that with Gimli standing with the Hobbits during the council of Elrond in FotR, and he's a good deal taller than them. Thorin also looked quite humanish. If you walked in to his fire/tree-walking scene without knowing anything about the film, you would never guess that this main character is supposed to be a Dawrf.

Also did anyone else notice how some Dwarves have... Dwarfish looking faces, and some don't? Balin, Gloin and Bombur had noticeably different facial features (they looked like the quintessential "Dwarf"), while Thorin, Dwalin, and the twins looked completely human. Stuff like that was really throwing me off.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2012 07:40 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
A lot of the time the Dwarves didn't look like Dwarves. There's a scene before the trolls where Bilbo is standing next to Kili and Fili. They're all about the same height. Juxtapose that with Gimli standing with the Hobbits during the council of Elrond in FotR, and he's a good deal taller than them. Thorin also looked quite humanish. If you walked in to his fire/tree-walking scene without knowing anything about the film, you would never guess that this main character is supposed to be a Dawrf.

Also did anyone else notice how some Dwarves have... Dwarfish looking faces, and some don't? Balin, Gloin and Bombur had noticeably different facial features (they looked like the quintessential "Dwarf"), while Thorin, Dwalin, and the twins looked completely human. Stuff like that was really throwing me off.

All of that bothered me less than the bloody axe in that one dwarf's head - and the fact that he signs and mumbles just pissed me off.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2013 08:11 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Well the only people around the entirety of the movie were Dwarves, a Hobbit, Gandalf, Goblins, Elves, and Uruks.

Gandalf/Elves = Really tall, this was shown when the Dwarves had ample room to stand in Bilbo's house, but Gandalf was crouched nearly the entire time.

Dwarves = Short. Dwarves are short in the TOlkien-verse, but not as short as some other fantasy realms, and just like any race, height will differ. Thorin was probably "tall" because of his royal heritage and how central of a character he was.

Hobbits = Really Short. Smaller than even most dwarves, which was shown rather nicely when Bilbo stood amongst the others.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2013 08:56 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

So why were Kili and Fili so short/why was Bilbo so tall?

Old Post Jan 5th, 2013 09:34 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Might have just been a mistake of the scene.

Old Post Jan 5th, 2013 10:04 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Pointless thread; the question has been answered. None of the actors playing Hobbits and Dwarves are the actual size of their characters. They used forced perspective shots, body doubles, CG tech and scaled up or down sets depending on what characters are in what scene, to accomplish the illusion.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 7th, 2013 04:46 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Plus, Thorin is actually mentioned in one of the sources (Appendix A to LotR? can't remember) as having been tall for a dwarf.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2013 08:12 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote